Payless ShoeSource Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.2

Sort:

Computer Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Topeka, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Payless ShoeSource (Topeka, KS) in May 2011.

Interview

One on one interviews with the Data Center Production Control and Operations Director (there was no department manager at the time) and two of the shift supervisors, all back to back and a phone interview with another shift supervisor (a fourth shift supervisor position was open).

Interview Questions

• Typical questions about my experience, how I got along with co-workers and management in the past, how I handled difficult situations.   3 Answers

Negotiation

I negotiated the hourly pay up by 75 cents an hour. Also got two weeks vacation annually (pro-rated).

Part Time Interview

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Payless ShoeSource in February 2007.

Interview

i talked to the manager one on one she was pleasant only wanted to hire someone ten hours a week i told her it was perfect she thought i would need more hours and didn't want to hire me. but i talked her into it.
    i filled out an application, then did the survey test, i dont remember doing a drug screen but proberly did.
    started working next weekend and have been there a few years and have been promoted.

Interview Questions

• do you have customer service experience?   1 Answer
    • CAN YOU multitask and work alone?   1 Answer

Negotiation

no i was paid minimum wage

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangor, ME

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Payless ShoeSource (Bangor, ME) in August 2015.

Interview

Basic Interview - "Give me an example of a time when..." is all they ask. Then they make you do a roleplay of a sale. They aren't looking for anything over the top, just make sure you ask them questions about what they are looking for and offer them a shoe and accessories - even if you have NO clue if the features you're selling are correct, confidence is key.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when you lead a team to success?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Payless ShoeSource (Houston, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

Initially met with the store manager then after 2 weeks with no answer I had to call and she scheduled me to interview with a second store manager. My next interview was with the district manager and he never showed up or called. Then a week later I interview with him. It was all unprofessional and time consuming. The interview process didn't really make sense. They ask the same questions.

Anonymous Employee in Puyallup, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Payless ShoeSource (Puyallup, WA) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied online through indeed.com. Was contacted for an interview. The interview took about 30 minutes. She reviewed my resume asking about previous jobs and asked various questions to determine if I was able to perform the job as described. Typically there is a second interview done with the district leader but in this case, my hiring was approved without the second interview.

Interview Questions

• Do you feel comfortable coaching an associate once a week?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Payless ShoeSource (Cedar Rapids, IA) in July 2014.

Interview

The interview was very easy. Basic questions. I didn't have to sell them a shoe but stores are supposed to. Payless is desperate for employees. Show energy and dedication and they will hire you.

After submitting application give them a call. Managers get busy and do not always check their computers.

Interview Questions

• Name something that stresses you out and how do you deal with it?

Tell me about yourself.

Deacribe a time when you've had multiple demands.

Describe a team you've been a part of and how did you make it successful?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Payless ShoeSource (Columbia, MD) in November 2011.

Interview

I was in the store as a customer. The store manager was the associate helping me. She asked what kind of shoes I needed and why. When I explained that I needed them fir a new job she asked me a little about my experience. She then gave me her card and told me to apply online. She told me once I did this to call her for an interview. I did, and we had a very good reppore. I then had to interview with the district manager. We also had a great interview. This all happened over the week of Thanksgiving. I was then called Monday and offered the job.

Interview Questions

• What do you do with an employee that is q great worker but has a bad attitude?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Payless ShoeSource (Baltimore, MD) in November 2010.

Interview

took forever they are not nice

Interview Questions

• whats the most difficult customer you have had?   1 Answer

Negotiation

no , they said take it or leave it, but if i left it they wouldnt care. i know cut throat

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marlborough, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Payless ShoeSource (Marlborough, MA).

Interview

Walk in applicant-brought in resume. Was called about a week later and asked by store manager to submit application on Payless Career website. After submitting the online application it took about two weeks for the store manager to call and schedule an interview, which was scheduled for two days later. After arriving a few minutes early I was told by a store associate that the manager was not at the store but should be there shortly. I waited in the store for 20 minutes and should have walked out. The manager never showed up, or called to apologize and instead an associate of the store came out and said that he would be interviewing me...He was clearly unprepared and not at all experienced in interviewing. Again, I should have left. After "wowing" some random employee in a confusing interview he said that the manager would call me to interview me herself. I will not be waiting to here from them and would definitely not want to work at this Payless location.

Interview Questions

• Not so much a question but I was asked to "role play" with the interviewer so that he could see my selling tactics. Not difficult, just strange. I have always worked in retail as a sales associate or manager and haven't ever had to role play with an interviewer for such simple techniques.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Payless ShoeSource (Seattle, WA) in March 2011.

Interview

It was very laid back, in the back room at the store. Second interviews are a formality and still pretty relaxed.

Interview Questions

• Role play! This is used to see how well you'd interact with customers. This is nerve wracking and awkward but I suggest you prepare for it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They are fairly flexible with pay, so ask for what you want.