Payless ShoeSource Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 20, 2017

2.2

Key Holder Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Payless ShoeSource (Tallahassee, FL).

Interview

The interview was one-on one. It first started out with the interviewee asking me a series of regular interview questions. My interviewer was at the time, one of the managers at one of the Payless stores in the area. The next thing we did was a role play. With the role play, my interviewer grabbed a shoe from the shoe rack, placed it on a cart, and then told me to sell her the shoe, (as if i was a sales person). I first asked what was the shoe needed for (job, leisure), and then i asked was the shoe for her (the interviewer). Then i briefly stated that the shoe was a nice versatile color, (it was black), the sole on the inside was extremely comfortable if you are going to be standing for a long period of time, and i also stated that it was on sale, for (x amount of money).I am assuming i did an excellent job, because i was offered the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Payless ShoeSource (Irvine, CA).

Interview

I arrived forty minutes before my appointment on a Friday. I was informed by an associate that the store manager needed to reschedule my interview due to a family emergency. I left my resume and number to reschedule but I never received a phone call. Today is Thursday, still no phone call. I started to regret arriving earlier than expected but seeing as I have never received a callback, I guess I'm okay with having no employment with the company. Especially since Payless Corporate has filed for bankruptcy, over five hundred stores have shutdown, and franchised stores may close in the future sooner than later.

I would have called the store back but I decided to attend future interviews after this interview being cancelled. I can't say my experience was negative because I never interviewed but I will say it was bummer to pay a fare to an interview that was never going to take place even if I had arrived on time, I'm assuming. Thankfully, the interview was less than an hour away on foot from home.

The store manager was sweet via intake phone interview. I called her to follow up on application and she did call me back a day or two later. Unfortunately store interview never happened. At least not yet.

Interview Questions

• What is your availability?   1 Answer
    • Can you work weekends?   1 Answer
    • Are you legally eighteen years of age or older?   1 Answer

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Payless ShoeSource.

Interview

The store manager asked very basic questions regarding how you would react during certain situations or have reacted. The interview process was a very simple one. Took about 20 minutes at the most

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when a customer gave you a hard time and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Florissant, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Payless ShoeSource (Florissant, MO).

Interview

easy personality questions life goals previous employer question dress fashionably friendly short role play on selling an item hours and days open to work the benifits thats about it

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Payless ShoeSource in May 2017.

Interview

I applied online via Indeed.com. I received a call about 15 minutes later to set up an interview the next day. The first interview was with a multi-store manager. She asked a few easy questions about myself and my availability. Also role played where she was a customer and I was an employee. She made me sell her a marker. The second interview was a few days later with the general/district manager. She pretty much asked the same questions as the first, as well as availability and why I chose now to start working.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coon Rapids, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Payless ShoeSource (Coon Rapids, MN) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied and got a call two hours later, set up an interview for the next day. It was a very easy process and the manger was nice. Basic questions asked and had to pretend the manager was a customer and help her. Pay was great and hours were great, only reason I didn't accept was being a young female alone in the store made me uncomfortable.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you had multiple people need help, and what did you do?   Answer Question
    • When did you help a guest make a decision and be happy?   Answer Question
    • When is a time that you made a mistake and how did you fix it, and make sure it wouldn't happen again   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Payless ShoeSource (Wichita, KS) in April 2017.

Interview

Easy interview process. Went in Thursday to buy shoes talked to manager was told to apple. Applied Friday, had an interview on Monday or Tuesday, and got hired and started the following Saturday with doing paper work.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Payless ShoeSource in April 2017.

Interview

It was a group interview, we did role playing in the store with another associate then we went to a different area and continued with the interview process. Also went over the process on how we are rated as a sales associate if we are hired on. The better sales person you are and if you are achieving the goals the more raise opportunities you get.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you dealt with a difficult customer and how did you resolve the issue.   Answer Question

Store Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Payless ShoeSource (Roseville, MI) in March 2017.

Interview

I seen the ad about the job hiring I applied then called the next day and got an interview that following day. The interview was great she was very easy on me cause she knew I never had any work experience. Its really all about you rather or not you get the job she liked my personality and she did a mock with me if I was helping out a customer and I did great. Payless are looking for friendly and stylish workers people that would sale but sale more and thats what I learned at the interview.(She also made me do my drug test that same day) Now that she liked me I will be going thru my second interview tomorrow with the head in charge which they call the "bossman". Hope everything is good after that I know I got the job though. Good luck to any others with interviews with payless.

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Payless ShoeSource (Sacramento, CA).

Interview

I applied online and received a call from the store leader for an interview. When I went in, there were also six other girls and no one was informed it would be a group interview. It was very long but simple. The interview was held in the break room. The district leader initiated the interview as the store leader occasionally interrupted and took notes. We had to compliment what the girl to our right was wearing and then was told to go to the front and pick out items and sell it to the same girl. After, we were told to go pick out something ugly in the store and then was told to sell it to the girl to left without repeating anything anyone said. They paid very close attention to how creative and enthusiastic you are. We also were put into groups to do a scavenger hunt with the list they gave us and at the end they asked question such as who led the team and who seemed to do the most work. When the group stuff is over and the district leader will ask a few basic question such as why should we choose you and what can you contribute. (At this point, they pretty much know-how they want.) I received a call the day about a follow up interview with just the store leader but it was basically just hiring paper work. *Advice; make sure to make eye contacts and smile.

Interview Questions

• What qualities can you contribute to our company?   1 Answer