Peak Hosting Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Peak Hosting Interview Questions

3.4

Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tualatin, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Peak Hosting (Tualatin, OR) in October 2015.

Interview

I was referred to Peak Hosting by an employee with whom I had worked previously.

From my first contact with the company and throughout the interview process, the Peak Hosting recruiter was involved and communicative. At each step of the way she made sure that I was well informed regarding what to expect from the process as well as what would be expected of me.

The interview process took about a month to complete, and it was as comprehensive, deep and incisive a sequence as I have ever experienced. I interviewed with senior managers, mid-level managers and individual contributors.

At each level of the organization, the interview questions are designed to reveal character, not just personality. At each interview, they really dug into who I am. The conversations revolved not just around what I did in different situations, but how I felt about it and what I might do differently if I could do it again.

Most of the current literature on interviewing tends to focus on how to manipulate situations and people's perceptions to make yourself shine and model “the ideal candidate”. They often talk about how to carry yourself, what to wear and how to provide “the answers that interviewers are looking for”. Sure, presentation is important but it's not who you are. My experience at Peak taught me that what is much more important is knowing their core values and being ready to share the actions in your past and the characteristics you have that demonstrate them. I learned that Peak is looking for people with the sets of characteristics that best fit the organization even more than specific skills. Skills, while important, can be taught. It's so much more difficult to teach integrity and self-awareness and probably impossible to cram them to pass an “interview exam”.

This interview process isn’t a test you can study for and ace. Peak (like any organization) isn’t the right place for everyone. At Peak, they’ll tell you that right up front. The best advice I can give is to bring your authentic self. Be honest about who you are and be prepared to talk as freely about your weaknesses as your strengths, what you care about, and what drives you. Pay attention to what’s said and follow instructions.

I’ve read the other reviews on Glassdoor and I know that people’s mileage has varied as they experienced Peak’s interview process. Like other organizations that have struggled or are struggling through rapid growth and development, Peak has its struggles, too. I experienced some of them during my own interview process. It wasn’t a skip down a yellow brick road lined with rainbows and unicorns. What it was, was real. It was administered and driven by people who care passionately about what they do and are conscientiously doing the best job they can. That’s Peak. That’s who they are.

Overall, I experienced the interview processes as being thorough and well-designed. The whole thing took about a month.

Using the Glassdoor interview difficulty scale, I rated the interview as Very Difficult and I want to say some things about that here. I did not find it difficult because anyone deliberately tried to knock me out of the box; and NOT because any of the questions were impossible to answer. It was difficult because the conversations were so different from what I was expecting and what I had experienced before. It was difficult because I was uncomfortable answering more than a few questions because, to answer them honestly, in some cases I had to reveal weakness and uncertainty or that I had exhibited poor judgement in a particular situation and then talk about why it happened and what I might do differently today. It took me a fair amount of time to recognize that the interviewers really wanted to know who I am and that I didn't have to try to appear perfect.

If you’re going into the interview process with Peak, my best advice to you is to think,
    Character over Personality; Authenticity over Selling; Actual > Intent. Don't focus on acing the interview. Focus on determining if these are people and an organization with whom you can do your best work and to develop and maintain a trusting, worthwhile and sustainable relationship with. That's what they'll be doing.

CSSA Manager and Customer Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tualatin, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Peak Hosting (Tualatin, OR) in August 2015.

Interview

Interview was to be with the COO, she was not prepared and didn't have my resume or any information when I arrived. She stated that I wasn't on her schedule though the recruiter stated that she had scheduled the interview with her and discussed it with her directly.

She asked me about my background and then interrupted me after one sentence stating that the VP of Engineering needed to be involved. She then passed me off to the VP of Engineering and left the room. He asked me a few questions about technical experience and then talked about the company culture and addressed my questions about issues reported on glassdoor.

He stated he couldn't answer my specific questions regarding the position I was there to interview for as it wouldn't be reporting to him. Though the recruiter stated the Customer Engineering Manager reported to him.

No tour or introductions to any other staff. Building has many open empty areas/offices and temporary folding tables for furniture.

Interview Questions

• Please describe your management experience.   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Peak Hosting.

Interview

The interview process took two months. It was unorganized with an irregular timeline and confusing process. My interviews jumped around between the CEO, outside consultants, Directors of other departments and the team of Project Managers. The company was on a great growth path but was searching for internal infrastructure and organization to meet that need.

Interview Questions

• Identify your philosophy and strategy for project management?
      How would you approach the CEO when you're asking for something you know he/she doesn't support?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Peak Hosting.

Interview

This process was thurough but quick. Doesn't usually last many weeks. They work and keep in touch with you the whole time and make sure to set you up to succeed. Each interview had a different feeling and the last one was definitely the toughest one. This is an up and coming business and they are looking for a specific candidate to help grow their organization.

Interview Questions

• Three characteristics to make you successful in this job?   Answer Question

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Peak Hosting (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

A very thorough interview process. The company places a very high priority on character and looks for personalities that fit it's culture. Once the technical interview was passed there were multiple behavioral interviews. I found the whole process extremely challenging but also extremely enjoyable. The overall time from first contact to job offer was quicker than other companies I have worked for, and took about 4 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Describe in 15 words a time when you held a different view from the rest of the room you were in and swayed the opinion of the room.   Answer Question

Systems Administrator Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Peak Hosting in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process isn't terribly long. 2 of the 4 interviews were very difficult. The same questions were asked of me that you see in the other Interview reviews. If you say you are a Linux person, you better know your stuff for the technical interview.

Interview Questions

There were several red flags for me during the interview process.

The salary range was given at the initial call with the recruiter, however at the time of the offer, the range was lowered.
    I found it very unprofessional to provide a range and then lower it when it comes time to make an offer.

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Peak Hosting in March 2015.

Interview

The fourth was odd -- more like a psychological screening with lots of questions about one or two word “characters traits.” I don't tend to think of people in simple terms like “detail oriented” so this was difficult for me. They were very insistent that you not speak in generalities and that you cite specific examples for everything. Probably the most unusual part was after you identify three traits that you felt represent you, they asked that for a 15 word or less (and yes, they count) sentence demonstrating each trait, citing SPECIFIC examples. This is very difficult to do – you end up with something more like a Haiku than an English sentence. If you get to that level of interview I'd suggest preparing some ideas of ahead of time and practicing.

According to them this last interview was to show that you're good at following directions. This seemed a little out of line with the job I thought I was applying for (a more technical role where there's rarely a script to follow) so I left the interview much less interested in the position than I came into it. Apparently they felt the same way and ended the process there.

A few other notes:

As others have noted, they are growing at a crazy rate right now. No one I talked to had worked for the company for more than a year, some for as little as a few months.

One of the technical interview folks seemed to really know his stuff and was quite personable (the other person was pretty much silent for the interview so I didn't get a feel from them) so if he's at all representative they have some good technical staff.

They are based in Tualatin Oregon but are in the process (April 2015) of moving to a new building to house all the new hires. If you're in the area, you are expected to work on-site but they have lots of staff spread across the country that work remotely.

Interview Questions

• List three character traits that describe your personality   Answer Question
    • Using each of those traits come up with a 15 word or less (counted out) sentence that shows how you demonstrated that trait citing specific examples   Answer Question
    • Describe the Linux boot process from power on to login.   Answer Question
    • Describe the process of adding a new disk to LVM and using it to grow an existing file system   Answer Question
    • What services run on ports 22, 25, 123?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tualatin, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Peak Hosting (Tualatin, OR) in March 2015.

Interview

Interview process is long, phone, in person, another phone.
    Phone is light tech, in person can be heavy tech, second phone is cultural fit.
    Not much more to say filling in the 50 word minimum

DCT- Data Center Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peak Hosting (Richardson, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Mine was a three part process consisting of the initial interview with a recruiter, then a more in depth review with the data center operations manager (who at the time was running ALL data center operations for Peak within North America) and a follow up with an Ombudsman.

Indecision Inaction Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Peak Hosting in February 2015.

Interview

Let me first say the company had recently made a lot of org changes which sounded like they were going in the right direction. Perhaps the interview process wasn't quite there. I completed 6 phone screens total, including the initial call with the internal recruiter. The 6th call ended with talk of yet another phone screen. With no on-site on the horizon, much less an offer, I accepted a position elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• List the top three requirements for this job and then describe how you've exhibited these qualities in your past experience, using 'x' number of words.   Answer Question