PitchBook Interview Questions | Glassdoor

PitchBook Interview Questions

Updated Jan 20, 2018

Customer Success Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at PitchBook (Seattle, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

Phone screen, on-site interview with hiring managers, mock call with hiring managers, reference check. HR was very responsive and helpful throughout the process. They definitely want to make sure they're hiring a good fit for the company.

Interview Questions

• There were a lot of questions about overcoming objections in a sales role. There were also questions about values to gauge how the candidate fits in the culture.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at PitchBook (Seattle, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

It was a long process, and they take time to follow up with you. Overall was a good experience, I had fun developing the project, friendly people.
    Some red flags: CPO in London, Developers team in Europe (If you are the type who likes to work with devs, keep this on mind), no product development methodology defined, the office was OK .
    Not sure how much innovation they are doing with their products.

Interview process :

-Recruiter Call Approx 30 min
    -Skype Call with Hiring Manager (30 - 45min),
    -2nd Skype Call with Hiring Manager: This call is to give you an assignment, you have to develop a project for an "investor user". The project consists of: a SWOT Analysis about yourself, create a Feature list, create a mockup, create a SPEC, and define the business model. (It took me like 25hrs to developed, you can decide how much time you will need to finish the project, Hiring PM was flexible with time.)
    If they like the project, they invite you to the Office to present it. The attendances are PM's and the CPO via Skype.

After the presentation, we have an hour to talk with the PMs (3 including Hiring Manager).
    I felt they didn't prepare questions for me.
    I was able to understand more about Pitchbook culture, I noticed that PM's have a lot of energy & passion but seems they didn't have other PMs experiences besides Pitchbook.

Additionally, they never mentioned the company benefits until they make an offer.

Interview Questions

• 1.- What trend in tech or product development are you excited and why.Tell me about
      2.- Pursuing while I'm not at work.
      3.- How "X company recommendation algorithm works"
      4.- How comfortable are you with technical skills?
      5.- Behavioral questions, and how your experience is related to the role.   Answer Question

Senior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PitchBook (Seattle, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter to schedule a screening interview via telephone. The interview lasted 20 minutes and was simple and pleasant. The recruiter was kind and helpful, although an emphasis was placed on salary and on what other companies I was applying to.

I was contacted to have a second interview via videophone which lasted 1 hour with two members of the team. The interview was straightforward enough, but the panel seemed disengaged. Again, there was a strange fixation on compensation and my other prospects, so much so that it was brought up multiple times.

I got the sense that PitchBook didn’t have a solid idea of what the role would encompass and i found it difficult to provide meaningful responses with such an abstract idea of what was being asked of me.

By the end of the call, I was convinced that what PitchBook was looking for the least experienced candidate who could still perform the basics of the role for the lowest amount of compensation.

I received no follow up contact from PitchBook after the interview and my polite, infrequent attempts to follow up went ignored.

Finally, I received an auto rejection letter from a “no-reply” account stating that they were moving forward with other candidates.

What was most concerning is that I was rejected for the role of Data Collection Operations Specialist, rather than Senior Research Associate for which I applied. Any attempt to get clarification on this discrepancy was ignored and, for all I know, the wrong group interviewed me.

Positives: the recruiter was polite and helpful until they began to ignore me.

Negatives: the company seems disorganized and is clearly trying to compensate its employees as little as possible. The position title changing somewhere along the way also left a bad taste in my mouth.

Senior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PitchBook (Seattle, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online through their website, and had a phone screen a week or two later. The phone screen lasted 30 minutes and we talked about my current role, job search goals, compensation, and she allowed time for me to ask questions. Less than a week later the recruiter reached back out to schedule an in person interview. Each time the recruiter reached out she mentioned a timeline for the next check in, and she met it each time. Usually with job interviews I have to reach out and ask for an update. I didn't need to do that at PitchBook, which was nice.

I came in twice and met with different members of the research team. They were great about explaining the team as a whole and the job I was applying for. I had several opportunities to ask follow up or clarifying questions to make sure this was the right fit for me. I would suggest taking each opportunity to ask questions and get to know the company and role the best you can.

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PitchBook.

Interview

Phone Interview - Brief call with HR, general employment questions followed by questions about Pitchbook. Very few questions regarding my previous experience. Just a general call to gauge interest in the company.

Product Manager Interview

Interview

One HR-focused phone call and then a longer video interview. The HR questions felt like a checklist, but at least it was short. The video interview was made a bit awkward since I didn't have anywhere good to take it near work; audio-only would have been better.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PitchBook (Seattle, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

Quick follow-up after application, initial HR phone screening, 1.5 hour Skype interview, personality test, quick "project." Most of the interview process was explaining the position itself which entails around 30+ cold calls and emails to start up verifying information on the platform. "Research" might not be the best word to describe this position. Seem to be nice people, and do a good job explaining the position itself.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PitchBook (Seattle, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

Interviewer asked about PE/VC funding cycles.
    First Round: Read news pieces and questions were asked based on what was read.
    Second Round: HR round related to personal introduction
    Third Round: Technical Round deeper questions related to private equity, joint ventures, M&A and venture capital. Some basic finance questions too such as what is EBITDA, etc
    Fourth Round: Client Round over the phone. Questions same as technical round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PitchBook (Seattle, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

6-8 week process consisted of a project which I spent about 20 hrs on. Overall impression was confused executive leadership, REALLY LOW offer. Would have stopped the interview process sooner as there were red flags (Flaky CTO). With low compensation that sealed the decision to walk away.

Interview Questions

• Do a SWOT on yourself then went into details on each item.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at PitchBook (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I had phone interview, then I was given a interview project. I was asked about what I know about the company. Since I did some research, I answered that question. However, then I was asked what's difference between two finance terms. (I applied for a software engineer job, just saying.) Glad I have some finance majored friends, so I answered that questions. Then I was given a project to complete.

It took me about five days to complete this project, and I did great follow up as well as communication with them. However, I got rejected with no feedback about the project I did. It was a at least one day project for people who has worked on the same topic before.

I think it's a polite/reasonable thing to do to provide with some feedback to candidate who spent their time on the project. I followed up the email with my request for feedback, then I realized the email was sent by a no-reply email.

At that point, it was more an insult than just a rejection email.