Pluralsight Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Pluralsight Interview Questions

Updated Oct 23, 2018

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pluralsight in March 2018.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter after applying online who eventually flaked out and stopped communicating with me. The recruiter stood me up for a scheduled phone interview and wouldn't respond to emails.

Interview Questions

• Can you have a phone interview tomorrow?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Pluralsight (Boston, MA) in March 2018.

Interview

Fairly standard interview process. Initial HR phone screen. Manager phone screen. Code assessment. A very slow process from start to finish taking about 3 weeks total.

Code assessment was average. They claimed it was a new step in the hiring process and asked me to wait for them to generate it. Straight forward assessment building a lightweight package installer (cycle checks, install order, data processing, unit tests). Took a week for them to respond and they did in a rather unprofessional way. What I mean by unprofessional is, very short response saying only that they would not be proceeding with me. No explanation as to why even after I asked the HR representative.

At the very least I expect honest and open communication between myself and the HR rep. I felt in the dark durring the entire process. There was a significant time investment by both parties so a 2 sentence rejection email seems a tad rude.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions for a manager phone screen. Code assessment was building a package installer   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Pluralsight (Boston, MA) in March 2018.

Interview

Had phone screen with a recruiter. She rushed through the whole call, giving me one-sentence answers to all of my questions and didn't really ask me anything.

They told me they wouldn't move forward with my application, but frankly I didn't want to move forward after the call either. A recruiter is often the first contact someone has with a company. This experience did not give me a good impression of Pluralsight.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pluralsight in January 2018.

Interview

I had a 30 minute conversation with an HR Recruiter. I was asked about my technology background and what led me to apply to Pluralsight. I did a lot of prep for this by making sure to read about the company's values, mission, and the values of the CEO. I detailed how well that resonated with me, and how Aaron Skonnard's vision for the future of education is something inspiring to me and how I hoped my skill set could apply to that.

I was told I would hear back about moving forward in the process no later than a certain date, and 4 days later I was sent a rejection.

Interview Questions

• Where are you in your job search and what is criteria for a new job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Farmington, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pluralsight (Farmington, UT) in September 2017.

Interview

The process started with a phone screening regarding general information and interests.

Next was a video interview with a panel of engineers that covered basic knowledge about the tech stack I'd be working in, and understanding of relevant concepts.

The final interview was a 5 hour on-site. The day started with a one-on-one interview focused on background and cultural fit. That was followed by lunch with a team I might be assigned to. After lunch was a white boarding session focused on explaining technical concepts and diagramming systems. I finished the interview with a pairing session where we solved a Kata like problem. In the pairing session we planned a solution together and both took turns with hands on the keyboard.

The on site felt exhausting, but at the same time felt totally reasonable seeing as every exercise related to the job. I left feeling unsure of how I performed because they did an excellent job of finding the limits of my knowledge.

I was offered the job a day after my on-site.

Interview Questions

• On the whiteboard, could you draw a system you have recently worked with and be prepared to explain some of the decisions behind the system?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Pluralsight (Boston, MA) in November 2017.

Interview

I had a coding assignment to make a small module, which led to a phone conversation with a manager. There was then an on-site interview for about 3 hours where we pair programmed an exercise on the front and back end with Node/Express and ReactJS. I wasn't fully expecting the React portion but it was welcome and we happily moved through it. The team was really welcoming and accepting of the fact that I may need to look at documentation for Express/React to make sure I was using either of them correctly, and the challenge was fun. We wrapped up a couple of days later when I had an hour long culture call with the VP of Engineering.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Pluralsight (San Diego, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

It was alright. I had to work on some coding exercise, then was asked to do in-person interview. Time was cut short before they realized I wasn't who they were looking for exactly. To me it was a waste of time, since these issues could have easily been addressed over emails and I wouldn't need to show up at all if they would have been firm about their hiring requirements.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pluralsight (San Diego, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

3 hour in person interview. First hour was behavioral where they asked me to describe a past project and draw it out on the board. (Looked for clear communication skills as well as command on technical parts of my project). Asked about pros and cons with my design. Last 2 hours were 2 technical questions, where I pair programmed with a developer and used TDD to drive the development.

Account Development Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pluralsight in January 2017.

Interview

I had two interviews with them. The initial phone interview and an on-site interview with Jared and Phil. Phil is very relaxed and easy going. Jared, on the other hand, is quite the opposite. I was mocked for my appearance, and he seemed to have it out for me from the get-go. After the interview, they explained this would end in 1 of 3 ways: an immediate offer, an invite for a second interview, or a pass. They told me, “silence from us is a good thing.” I wrote the recruiter 2.5 weeks later after no word, thinking silence was good, and received a generic email stating they were moving on. I feel like if I never reached in, I never would have heard anything from them.

Interview Questions

• My friend is blind, describe the color green to him?   Answer Question
    • They’ll ask questions about hobbies. After that, they’ll give you that hobby and ask you to sell them on it. For example: fitness, they’ll give you a gym, and you’ll sell them why they should join your gym.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Farmington, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pluralsight (Farmington, UT) in May 2016.

Interview

It was a very different from any interview I have been to. They didn't ask me questions about my skill set, they asked me questions about who I am and about how who I am relates to their company and their company core values. It was very casual, more of a conversation than an interview. I loved the interview process and would have loved to work there.

Interview Questions

• What is the biggest obstacle you have ever overcome in your life?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They were very open although there wasn't a lot of negotiation. In the end we were not able to come to an agreement.