Portland State University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 25, 2017

2.5

Graduate Admissions Intake Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR) in February 2017.

Interview

I was contacted for a phone interview and availability, time was confirmed the next day, and the interview was two days after that. Not only did I feel very underprepared, but phone interviews are really not my forte (and altogether not a great idea, in my opinion). Perhaps the office is too busy to take time for an in-person interview, but if the three interviewers were all available for a phone interview and I live in the area, it seems an in-person interview could have been arranged. Not to mention, since it was over the phone with three different people, I had to ask several times for questions to be repeated due to a lack of clarity/reception through the phone line. The actual questions were fairly difficult for an entry level position of its caliber.

Interview Questions

• What previous experience do you have and why are you interested in this position?   1 Answer
    • In which areas do you consider yourself to be a specialist, and how do you envision being able to utilize your expertise?   Answer Question
    • What do you think is the biggest factor when selecting graduate school and program?   1 Answer
    • What is your understanding of the position?   Answer Question
    • What sources of information do you use to keep aware of problems in your department, and tell about a time you relied on those sources.   Answer Question
    • We all have occasions when we let things slip through the cracks; give an example of a time this happened to you and what came from it.   Answer Question
    • In what ways do you communicate with people, and how might you overcome difficulty communicating with people?   Answer Question
    • How did you develop a rapport with your coworkers and people from other departments? Give an example.   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Portland State University.

Interview

I was invited to an interview on campus with the hiring manager and other staff. It ended up being a panel of two and they alternated asking questions, which they had prewritten so it was standard for all the applicants. It was pretty straightforward and they were relatively friendly.

Interview Questions

• What's an example of when you applied theory or research to your work?   Answer Question

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with five faculty members. Each faculty member asked at least one question. The interview lasted about an hour. However, it was difficult to keep all the voices straight.

Interview Questions

• Why Portland State University?   1 Answer
    • How would you approach community engagement?   1 Answer

Lab Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR) in August 2016.

Interview

They explained on the phone that it would be a group interview, but did not mention there would be five different supervisors asking questions, so that was a bit shocking and threw off my confidence in the beginning. Everyone was friendly and polite, and I took my time before answering the questions, so I was able to regain my balance, so to speak. I tried to be conversational, but it was more of a highly structured Q&A type of interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were faced with a difficult decision. What was your thought process in coming to the decision you made?   Answer Question

Systems Administrator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Portland State University.

Interview

I had applied and a few weeks later they got back to me asking me to do a phone interview. I happily accepted and specifically asked if it was going to be a technical interview or not. The individual arranging the interview told me it was not. Once the interview started, it was in fact a technical interview; there were fix or six individuals asking me technical questions. I was, of course, a little off kilter having expected a different sort of interview. The questions were mostly trivia questions, such "What does CNAME stand for?", with a few questions about how technology comparison "What is the difference between git and svn?". There were no critical thinking or puzzle questions. Never-the-less, I performed well enough that they invited me to the second round. At this point in time, I had a firm job offer from another company and inquired at what stage we were at in their process. It turns out that there would be four more interviews spanning over two or three months. I thanked them and politely declined.

Admissions R Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR) in January 2016.

Interview

It was incredibly casual, and they basically want to make sure that you are a good personality fit. They want to make sure that you will get along with the team, and that you can be a quick learner.

Receptionist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Portland State University.

Interview

I was already temping in the role so the interview was more of a formality than anything. It was pretty standard fare in the questioning. It mirrored my initial interview which was for a temporary admin position in the same office. They explained the day to day work and tasks.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you've effectively handled a difficult situation at work.   Answer Question

Adjunct Business Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR) in February 2015.

Interview

I reached out to the Accounting Department at the School of Business Administration. I was relocating to the Portland metro area and wanted to keep teaching accounting in post-secondary education. The department chair told me she might have a course I could teach and to come by her office to meet. She emailed me the adjunct faculty application and put me in the "bullpen". She emailed me in April with a course that she needed to cover. I'll be teaching at Portland State this fall.

Interview Questions

• How did I get into teaching.   1 Answer

TA Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR) in February 2015.

Interview

It depends on professor. Some of them are really hard, while others are easy. The job duties are variable among professors and course. You might experience too loaded. Some professors are asking for grading homework and midterm. Some others may ask to set office hours. Some of them want you be in the class in every session.

Adjunct Assistant Professor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Portland State University.

Interview

Excellent