Quantlab Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Quantlab Interview Questions

Interviews at Quantlab

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Interview

I interviewed with Quantlab in the summer of 2013. The interview process included 2 phone interviews, a technical exercise and an onsite interview. The technical exercise was challenging and I enjoyed it. The onsite interview included questions about my technical work, my technical interests and my work style. Several times in the technical interviews I was asked how I would solve a particular problem under different sets of assumptions. By the end of the onsite interview I had a good sense of what it would be like to work at Quantlab. After working with a large firm I’m glad I made the move. Quantlab’s flat organization makes it easier to get things done.

Interview Questions

• There weren’t any major unexpected technical questions. It was good to have an onsite group lunch with the team I would work with. I was surprised we went through a non-technical assessment to see if the company’s work style and my work style would mesh well together. I am glad we did.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Quantlab (Houston, TX) in August 2010.

Interview

It was a lengthy process. Initially there was a programming test. Then you are required to write a program as a test. They do give you a giftcard for doing the test. This does take a little bit of time, but it is kind of interesting to do. Once you pass all this they bring you in. The interview was well scheduled. The people there were very nice and was a very positive experience. They really want to make sure you fit in and it seems like a good place to work. They have a consultant whose job is make sure that everyone there is happy.

Interview Questions

• Most of the difficulty is in the programming assignment before the interview.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Quantlab in January 2014.

Interview

- General phone interview – some technical questions
    - Two technical phone interviews
    - Coding exercise
    - Non-technical phone interview
    - Online test to assess work style
    - Onsite interview

The coding exercise was a little difficult – but interesting. The online work style test was the most stressful part of the process. There were many questions asking roughly the same thing. The whole interview experience was good. It gave me the motivation to accept Quantlab’s offer. Onsite I meet a lot of smart people who don’t have big egos versus the big investment banks. I would recommend Quantlab to a friend.

Interview Questions

• The question about how to find a particular object without the use of technology. It was hard to consider a statistical solution in a programming-orientated interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Quantlab (Houston, TX) in October 2013.

Interview

I interviewed with Quantlab for a software engineering position, but ultimately did not accept the job because of a competing offer. Quantlab is a very different kind of software company. It is a small and profitable operation that lives on the cutting edge. The interview process was intense, but I came away with a great sense of the company and the people. There were several phone interviews, programming tests, and an all day onsite interview. They only want the best, and they want to make sure you have what it takes. The people I met are of the highest caliber, smart, dedicated and passionate about technology. Great company, great people, and definitely worth the challenge.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared for several programming assignments before being invited to an onsite interview. The one on one interviews will involve questions to test the extent of your abilities. Don't panic; they just want to know what you can do.   Answer Question

Competing Offer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Quantlab.

Interview

The interview was 4 parts. There was an HR screen, then a technical led by a software manager, then a take home programming assignment, then an onsite. It was a very pleasurable experience. I don't have anything negative to say in the least.

Interview Questions

• Programming questions that were meaningful to the actual position.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Quantlab in September 2016.

Interview

The HR sent me a email containing a coding test.

Pretty easy, finished in less than 50 minutes.

And sent the code through email to them.The next day I got a rejection.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Quantlab in October 2016.

Interview

Gave me a programming assignment, easy OOP's concept. Submitted it and was correct and most efficient but was rejected.They said either scripting or OOP languages. I did OOP but seems like they were more interested in someone with scripting experience.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

This was perhaps the most burdensome, most inefficient interview I have ever experienced. First, I had to do a coding assignment that took a number of hours. Second, then I had a phone interview where there was discussion of my technical experience and a review of my coding assignment. Third, I was given yet another coding assignment that was much larger, on the order of 10-12 hours, doing a task seemed to very closely mirror actual work common to the trading industry. I was told to "have fun" with it, an ominous instruction conveying that this was potentially going to be a large time sync. After submitting it, I was informed that the team didn't like my design.

What's wrong with this process? First, for the love of man, two coding assignments should never ever be allowed. If you can't assess what you need in one assignment then your assignments need work. Second, coding assignments should never be large enough to encompass 8-12 hours of work. If you want to get a baseline of understanding, you don't need a lot of busywork to do it. Third, coding assignments shouldn't closely mirror actual works. Are you testing the proficiency of the candidates coding ability or fishing for the stock tricks known by people in the industry? The former is good, the latter questionable.

If the tech-giants Google, Facebook, Amazon, and Microsoft can assess technical talent without two time-waster projects, then why can't Quantlab?

Interview Questions

• Create a serializer/deserializer protocol for a market data feed.   Answer Question

Software Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Quantlab (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied at a university career fair. They called me in for a written test which was not hard and it was standard coding practice questions. Then I got a 1:1 interview which I was asked technical questions along with the usual "tell me about yourself" questions. I did not get a response from them

Interview Questions

• Their test had code snippets and asked the return value of functions   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Quantlab (Houston, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

Submit the application through career fair. Took one week to process. Interview at QuantLab Financial. Asked to do a programming test. Got the interview through email. The question was not too hard. Asked to finish the programming test within an hour.

Interview Questions

• Implement a data management tool for transactions data.   Answer Question