Rakuten Kobo Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Rakuten Kobo Interview Questions

Updated Nov 14, 2017

2.9

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten Kobo in June 2014.

Interview

I got their attention only when a common friend with the data science team lead referred me. I think they have the online job postings just as a cover for pretending that they are an equal opportunity company. I am interested in the product of the company so I was following it and I applied to several positiones they opened in the last 2 years. They never responded to any of my 3 aoplications that I submitted online, even though I am quite sure my resume deserves at least a phone call.. Google called me without a referral.

The phone screen was technical but it was done by an HR person who had no idea what I was talking about. He made sure to inform me that he was following a script and that he is transcribing my answers so that an engineer reviews them. That was professional of him but very unprofessional of the company.

After the phone screen they sent me a programming exam which they requested to be returned withon 2 days. I had a busy schedule so I skipped sleep for one night and did the exam's programming tasks.. and I nailed them. I am not being pompous but the tasks were relatively easy, and I wrote the code with good structure and didn't do a dirty programming job which is typical for data science tasks. I am only stressing on how good my answers were because I am very frustrated that they never got back to me about it. I waited about 10 days then sent an email asking about the review, and I got an OOTO reply. I waited till the date the person indicated in their OOTO and sent a remider, and they promised a review by the end of the week. Two weeks later I sent a reminder and they responded that they cannot give feedback right now. Just a one liner! Very unprofessional, and it made me totally loose interest in the company.

Interview Questions

• What is a data structure used for recursion?   1 Answer

My experience during the interview process shows that the company is putting people last, and probably struggling under the weight of the Kindle.

QA Analyst Interview

Interview

Had an in-person interview at campus. It was 30 min long and mainly focused on my knowledge with mobile operating systems, and staying current with new features on mobile platforms. The position was specific to mobile apps team so these questions were quite relevant.

QA Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten Kobo (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in October 2017.

Interview

HR called for a brief screening, and then booked me an interview with the team lead. There are 3 technical questions. And then I got an interview with the manager.

Production Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rakuten Kobo (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in September 2017.

Interview

1 phone interview with HR for screening and 2 face to face interviews with managers and director. It was pretty easy with HR interview basically to know what you are doing and your salary expectation etc. With managers interview, it was technical questions, basically trying to understand what you can or cannot do, they asked very detailed questions.

Solution Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten Kobo (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Phase 1. Online technical interview.
    Phase 2. Technical test by completing some technical coding tasks with enough time.

Spent over a month without receiving any feedback from them even after I had sent three emails asking for feedback.

Interview Questions

• Past experience.
      How to handle specific scenarios and cases with solution design.   Answer Question

Content Display Quality & Production Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rakuten Kobo (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2017.

Interview

Interviewed by who would be my team's manager and my direct coordinator. Great, open atmosphere. Their excellent rapport made me feel very at ease in the interview. They asked great poignant questions about personal habits and interests in products that made it easy for me to tell stories that related my varied experience to the specific role I was applying for without having to talk myself up to a high degree, which was a nice change from other interviews. They were candid and generous in their responses to my questions regarding pay, contract extensions, and company history/culture.

Interview Questions

• What content do you consume every day and why?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten Kobo (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Totally three rounds interview. First round is a phone interview with regular questions and technical questions. Second round and third round are both technical questions. Final round interview took a long time. Overall, easy questions. People are super nice. Responses are quick. I got results immediately after I finished interviews.

Business Performance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten Kobo (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2017.

Interview

Phone interview with hr manager answering behaviral questions and several technical questions
    After a day, hr manager called and scheduled a time for 1st face interview. 1st interview with hiring manager and one teammate
    After two days, hr manager called and scheduled a time for 2nd interview. 2nd interview with VP and another teammate

Interview Questions

• What are the things you mostly like about the previous job?
      What are the things you mostly don't like about the previous job?
      What is your related experience of using some analytical tools?   Answer Question

Devops Engineer (Co-op) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten Kobo (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview isn't very difficult. They seem to be looking for 1st or 2nd year students and ask mostly behavioural questions. It is probably fine if you don't know all of the tools they use, in fact I hadn't even heard of most of them.

Interview Questions

• Do you know what DevOps is?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Interview

First round was a brief phone call with HR. Then second interview was in-person with the manager.

The manager I interviewed with was not very nice, would interrupt me in the middle of my sentence, was not approachable. They did not even get back to me for three weeks until I basically begged HR to hear back. I found out through my status on "JobVite".

They finally replied days later saying they found someone else. I asked for any feedback, they did not respond. That was it. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Who are our competitors and how do you think we can overcome them? (ps: as interns, this is a little ambitious of a question to ask.. interns are there to learn from scratch)   Answer Question

Rakuten Kobo Response

Feb 22, 2017 – Employee Experience Team

We’re sorry to hear that your interview experience wasn’t great – we very much appreciate the feedback and will be sure to continue to look at our processes, including hiring manager training, to... More