Rakuten Kobo Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Rakuten Kobo Interview Questions

Updated Apr 6, 2017

2.9

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten Kobo in June 2014.

Interview

I got their attention only when a common friend with the data science team lead referred me. I think they have the online job postings just as a cover for pretending that they are an equal opportunity company. I am interested in the product of the company so I was following it and I applied to several positiones they opened in the last 2 years. They never responded to any of my 3 aoplications that I submitted online, even though I am quite sure my resume deserves at least a phone call.. Google called me without a referral.

The phone screen was technical but it was done by an HR person who had no idea what I was talking about. He made sure to inform me that he was following a script and that he is transcribing my answers so that an engineer reviews them. That was professional of him but very unprofessional of the company.

After the phone screen they sent me a programming exam which they requested to be returned withon 2 days. I had a busy schedule so I skipped sleep for one night and did the exam's programming tasks.. and I nailed them. I am not being pompous but the tasks were relatively easy, and I wrote the code with good structure and didn't do a dirty programming job which is typical for data science tasks. I am only stressing on how good my answers were because I am very frustrated that they never got back to me about it. I waited about 10 days then sent an email asking about the review, and I got an OOTO reply. I waited till the date the person indicated in their OOTO and sent a remider, and they promised a review by the end of the week. Two weeks later I sent a reminder and they responded that they cannot give feedback right now. Just a one liner! Very unprofessional, and it made me totally loose interest in the company.

Interview Questions

• What is a data structure used for recursion?   1 Answer

My experience during the interview process shows that the company is putting people last, and probably struggling under the weight of the Kindle.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten Kobo (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Totally three rounds interview. First round is a phone interview with regular questions and technical questions. Second round and third round are both technical questions. Final round interview took a long time. Overall, easy questions. People are super nice. Responses are quick. I got results immediately after I finished interviews.

Business Performance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten Kobo (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2017.

Interview

Phone interview with hr manager answering behaviral questions and several technical questions
    After a day, hr manager called and scheduled a time for 1st face interview. 1st interview with hiring manager and one teammate
    After two days, hr manager called and scheduled a time for 2nd interview. 2nd interview with VP and another teammate

Interview Questions

• What are the things you mostly like about the previous job?
      What are the things you mostly don't like about the previous job?
      What is your related experience of using some analytical tools?
      Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

First round was a brief phone call with HR. Then second interview was in-person with the manager.

The manager I interviewed with was not very nice, would interrupt me in the middle of my sentence, was not approachable. They did not even get back to me for three weeks until I basically begged HR to hear back. I found out through my status on "JobVite".

They finally replied days later saying they found someone else. I asked for any feedback, they did not respond. That was it. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Who are our competitors and how do you think we can overcome them? (ps: as interns, this is a little ambitious of a question to ask.. interns are there to learn from scratch)   Answer Question

Rakuten Kobo Response

Feb 22, 2017 – Employee Experience Team

We’re sorry to hear that your interview experience wasn’t great – we very much appreciate the feedback and will be sure to continue to look at our processes, including hiring manager training, to ... More

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Rakuten Kobo (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online and got a call a few days after by HR to schedule interview. Interview was smooth and casual, mostly behavioural questions. I felt a great connection with the hiring managers but did not get the job in the end. A pleasant surprise was that the hiring managers sent an email explaining why I was not selected.

Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Rakuten Kobo.

Interview

Just had a chat with the person in charge of the department about my skills and past work experience. Very informal and comfortable. No skills test, just went through my portfolio and spoke about the role I'd be filling.

Seemed to be looking more for overall fit with the department and other coworkers, as they'd already seen my work before the interview online.

Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rakuten Kobo (Waterloo, ON (Canada)).

Interview

not very formal, had a conversation, few typical interview questions, like to know what you know about the company,if you did your research and know what the industry is like. overall not a hard interview. ask insightful questions. simple will do the trick. remember to be yourself and smile.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Rakuten Kobo.

Interview

Interviewed 3 times. First interview was video conference with the boss. Second time was with boss and the technical manager (at the office). Last time was with the boss and team members. People there are nice. Each interview lasts for 1 hour. After the interview, the HR contacted me for all the package.

Interview Questions

• Self introduction, the working experience, why you have interests in the position, the career path.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Co-op Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Rakuten Kobo (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in March 2016.

Interview

I walked in and they introduced themselves, as did I. They then went on to ask me 3 questions:
    1) Tell me about yourself
    2) Describe your experience with excel
    3) What do you already know about Kobo.
    The 2 employers then went on to talk about the company and what a typical day in the role of Financial Analyst would look like.

Project Manager - Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Rakuten Kobo (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in March 2016.

Interview

Received quick response after submitting application online. Brief phone interview covered basic and administrative questions. Short 30 min in-person meeting with manager covered standard interview questions including a few about the company. Overall conversational in style but quick-paced. Didn’t hear back after the interview. If succeeded there would have been a second interview.