Renaissance Learning Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Renaissance Learning Interview Questions

Updated Feb 8, 2017

2.9

Research Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Renaissance Learning in November 2016.

Interview

One-on-one video interview. Immediately upon connecting, the interviewer told me he was going to have to log off and we would have to postpone our interview an hour. We did that, and when we reconnected, our video kept cutting out, so he told me to stay connected, but he would call me and we would speak that way. So the interview was conducted with my phone in one hand, while sitting in front of my computer screen looking at video that occasionally worked but usually didn't. The interviewer asked a series of probability, statistics, brain teaser, programming, and computer science questions. None were too difficult, although there was a language barrier between the myself and the interviewer, who was not a native English speaker. Since I couldn't see him as he spoke, I often had to ask him to repeat what he said, or ask for clarification on a question that wasn't clear. All things considered, the conditions of this interview seemed like some strange personality/culture test, or a lot of unlikely bad luck. Considering the nature of the interview, the interviewer must have known that I knew that the probability of so many unfortunate things occurring at the same time for the same interview was extraordinarily low, and he didn't mention it. If it wasn't planned this way, he should have used our unfortunate circumstances as a final probability question to test my aptitude. "What is the probability that all the difficulties we are having with this interview are due to bad luck, and are not part of some strange test concocted by my team?"

At the end of the interview he answered some of my questions, gave me no information about the next steps or what I should do next, and abruptly hung up.

After not hearing anything for a couple weeks I had to contact the company to learn that they were moving on with other candidates.

Interview Questions

• Questions about coin tosses, SQL, binary, determining accuracy of experimental measurements.   Answer Question

Renaissance Learning Response

Jan 24, 2017 – Sr. Recruiter

Thank you for the feedback. With your help we will better refine our process to avoid some of the issues you encountered during and after your interview. Regarding the length of time it took to ... More

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Renaissance Learning (Madison, WI) in November 2016.

Interview

Standard interview process but the in-person interview was very conversational. You knew that they were trying to get to know you as a person. The phone interviews were helpful in learning who you would be working with and what they do in addition to discovering additional details about the position you're applying for.

Product Owner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Renaissance Learning (Brooklyn, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

An HR had conducted an interview earlier. And she was impressed. So she had scheduled a visit so all the rounds were to be completed at Brooklyn NY office.

In this company, PM and PO are the reverse from my understanding of the two job responsibilities. PO's oversee the engineering team and PMs are customer/VP facing here.

I had four rounds back to back. 2 rounds were cancelled. The most important round got rescheduled to the end. And the least important scheduled at the first.

First round of interview was with 3 Engineers
    Second round was with Sr Director and VP Ops (I dont remember, but these were important guys below VP, above Engineers)
    Third with VP
    Fourth with Sr Product Manager

It wasnt supposed to be this way. It was supposed to be PM first, but due to a goof up in scheduling by HR, the interviews had to be rescheduled, and the PM interview got to the end. I had two rounds of interview with POs on webex which were cancelled.

1. Engineers were new to the company, not very professional, and were not on the team I had to work with if I got the job. They brought in their laptops, and were consistently working on their laptops and sharing something funny with each other. Very distracting to be talking to the wall while they looked at their laptops and grinned and chuckled all the while at the funny jokes they may have had on their computer. Out of the four people who were scheduled to be at the interview, 2 were present, one joined round 2 and a third person had joined at the last moment. 2 Indians and an American. The American guy did most of the talking and kept the interview process running. They were taking notes on laptop while interviewing. Questions mostly around myself and their own profiles, and company culture.

2. Sr Director and VP Ops: Actually a Sr/Principal Engineer and VP Ops turned up. These were really nice knowledgeable guys, asked me some generic questions, where I did not really know what the catch was, something like - What will happen if marketing is pushing for more and your team cannot achieve it. Will you commit to half baked product? And some specific questions. They understood I had no real agile experience.Appreciated my experience. Soft grill. They seemed to know their stuff well. Caught me for the fake I was. After everything, I liked them for their enthusiasm and a good discussion. The questions were mostly around agile as a process, my profile, cloud experience, team experience, etc.

3. Interview with VP - Well this was kind of watered down exercise and I felt did not have anything to do with the whole process. Just very generic discussions about the company, a little bit about myself etc.

4. Sr Product Manager - seemed capable. But did not have time. She cut down the interview time at the very start to half hour from the one hour schedule, because she had another meeting lined up. This was a decision maker, but I felt later, she already might have made up her mind. My energy level was down at this point because I had traveled from early morning from a different city and this was the fourth round without even a water break. This was, I felt, the most important interview that had been rescheduled to the end, and went down the drain.

I must say, I felt the interviews went well. And I never got the reply from the HR as to why I did not make it. Multiple reasons but glassdoor does not have space for it.

Advise :
    You will be meeting a lot of people at the interviews. They want to make really sure they are going right with this.
    Schedules are for keeps. The people who are scheduled could be different from the people who actually come.
    They would like you to meet all employees. Keep up the energy level.
    Try to have interviews with PM first. Try to have the highest ranking person first, and go down the route. Push for it. Because your energy level is going to go down with time. And if the most important person comes last, you dont have energy left at the end of 4 hours.
    Be prepared for a fruitful discussion and lead it in case your other side does not have questions for you.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.
      One project which you did well.
      Why renaissance.
      What is your ideology in programming
      1 Answer

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Renaissance Learning (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2016.

Interview

I was invited to their office Minneapolis office to interview for a position elsewhere in the country. I had two on site interviews, one with a manager and another with a team of engineers. They were kind and welcoming throughout the process. They asked that I dress in business casual for the interview.

Interview Questions

• Design a program that can win a game of battleship in the fewest moves.   Answer Question

ELA Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Renaissance Learning in January 2016.

Interview

I reached out to a contact on LinkedIn who in turn forwarded my resume to a recruiter. A different person called to tell me I will be getting an assignment to complete and return. I was given the choice of 2 assignments, and completed 1 and turned it in. The recruiter then asked me to complete the other, although that is out of the ordinary. So I did and turned that in.

Interview Questions

• Will you complete this skills test before we continue with your application? You have the choice of 2 options.   Answer Question

Scrum Master Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Renaissance Learning (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Initial phone screening by recruiter, followed by one hour phone screening by hiring manager who is in Wisconsin. The hiring manager seems to be someone who knows how to manage people. However, the entire interview process is very long. Be prepared to spend many weeks.

After the second phone screening, there was in-person interview with product managers in San Francisco. The product managers do not seem to have lot of experience in Agile. They told me that after that interview there would be 3 more in-person interviews! Two interviews with two engineering teams and one with CTO. At that point, I bailed out.

To summarize, the candidate needs to attend 2 phone screenings and 4 in-person interviews. I am glad that these guys are not asking candidates to attend one more round of interview with CEO, and one more with board, etc., What a waste of time.

Inside Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Renaissance Learning.

Interview

Responded to resume sent in 7 weeks ago. Had forgotten all about them. Did initial phone screen right away. gave information on compensation basics and what the job entails and advancemenr

Interview Questions

• If you encounter a gatekeeper on a sales call, what do you say to get through to the decision maker.   Answer Question

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Renaissance Learning (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied at U of M job fair. I was contacted a month later for an on-site interview. Interview consisted of a hard skills testing session with 3 engineers. We discussed how to implement an AI to play battleship. Wrote a lot of pseudo code, was mostly centered on problem solving skills.
    Second interview was with the competency manager. Mostly talked about personal attitude towards coding and work in general. The goal seemed to be to see if I would be a fit for the sort of office culture they were trying to cultivate.

Interview Questions

• How to design an AI to play battle ship.   1 Answer

Proposal Writer Interview

Interview

Very well planned. The interview was conducted well with a good mix of relevant or though provoking questions and opportunity to ask questions of the employer. They also provided a lot of information about the company's direction.

Interview Questions

• If you were to turn in your resignation in one year, what would be the most likely reason for you to have done so?   1 Answer

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Renaissance Learning (Boulder, CO).

Interview

Interviews are done in a very standard manner, with resume submitted, references called, first interview with hiring manager and second interview with additional employers. The process was fair and kosher, and focused on the needs of the department, the mission and goals of the company and the specific requirements of the individuals I would be working with.

Negotiation

I was called on the phone and went in the next day to sign an acceptance letter.