Renaissance Learning Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mike Evans

Pros
  • Sometimes it's hard to keep up but I understand the goal (in 3 reviews)

• Flexible schedule and have the ability to work from home (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Salary is on the low side but work-life balance is good, at least in my department, so I'm pretty happy with the job overall (in 3 reviews)

• A lot of managers can't work cross departmentally with other managers well, leaving stress on direct reports (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great Place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wisconsin Rapids, WI

I have been working at Renaissance Learning full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Mission, Great People, Great Impact on Students, Great Place to Learn and Grow

Cons

No major cons, you just have to be willing to adapt to change. There has been lots of it in the last few years.

Advice to Management

Don't lose sight of how effective Central Wisconsin employees can be.

Apr 24, 2017 – CEO/CFO

Thanks for writing this review. Our roots in central Wisconsin are a big part of who we are and our Wisconsin employees are fundamental to our Renaissance commitment to students and teachers. We ... More

"I Love It"

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Renaissance Learning part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*I always feel like I am doing worthwhile----------------Accelerating Learning for all children and adults.
    *Supportive structure for my continued professional growth so that I can provide the best for customers.
    *The company does their very best to send the message to customers that having the software does not mean that teachers can use it without training.
    *The products are researched.---I believe they create growth.
    *The company recognizes the need to offer districts with continuing financial concerns the need for a one product solution and they have spent a great deal of time he last few years working towards that.

Cons

Sometimes the Prep time and self learning time become a little overwhelming because I am part time. Compensation for this only goes so far. The upside to this is that because I am part time I can do it at my leisure.

Advice to Management

Continue to understand the importance of part time people in the field through professional development and compensation.
    Continue to work on product time lines so that beginning of the year customer facing is unmarred.

Apr 24, 2017 – Vice President, Professional Services

Thanks for your positive review of Renaissance. We definitely value our part-time employees and I’m glad you shared your insight on prep and self-learning time. Our consultants take great pride in ... More

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Renaissance Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are collaborative, very smart and fun to work with. The company is genuinely mission-driven and remains true to its roots, being founded by parents, and putting teachers at the core of everything we do. Research, efficacy, and providing the opportunities for growth for all students are all highly valued and an integral part of the fabric of the Renaissance culture. Great choice to have Mike Evans as interim CEO. Hope he stays permanently.

Cons

Complexity in the work can lead to confusion about direction. Senior management needs to improve communication to the whole organization, especially with so much change happening, and so many people working remotely and in several locations. The workload can be very heavy. Some people work very long hours.

Advice to Management

As above. Follow interim CEO's lead. Get out to all the offices, talk to your staff and lead by example especially in encourage functional team work and communication.

Apr 12, 2017 – CEO/CFO

Thank you for writing this review, and for the kind personal words. Spending time with our team is one of my absolute favorite things about Renaissance. It is nice to read that you’re having a ... More

"Overall, a good company with a lot of great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wisc Rapids, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wisc Rapids, WI

I have been working at Renaissance Learning full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Renaissance is a company founded by the desire to make a real difference in the lives of students and educators. The company has stood by its mission throughout the years and continues to be driven by what actually works in the classroom. The products are great and so is the dedication and talent of the vast majority of employees.

Interim CEO is fantastic (hopefully he will get the position)!

Cons

The vibe around the headquarters has changed a lot in recent years, likely attributed (at least in part) to a lot of turnover in the executive team, a leadership team that works remotely, and the demands of being owned by private equity. Things seem to be on the upswing but there was a noticeable dip in morale and enthusiasm.

Apr 12, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for writing this review. We’re glad that you’ve made Renaissance a long-term career choice. It’s nice to read your kind words about your colleagues and about Mike Evans. I know he appreciates ... More

6. "A Company Moving Into the Future"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Elk Grove Village, IL

I have been working at Renaissance Learning part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Renaissance has a great mission and stays focussed on it. It values its employees and continues to reward and recognize them.

Cons

It can be difficult to "keep pace" with the many advances being made in its products.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on supporting students and teachers.

Mar 29, 2017 – CEO/CFO

I appreciate you leaving this review and am happy that you feel valued at Renaissance. That’s what we like to hear! I know that we are moving quickly and the pace can be brisk. However, we always ... More

7. "Good company with a great mission"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Wisconsin Rapids, WI
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Wisconsin Rapids, WI

I worked at Renaissance Learning full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of good people to work with. Good growth opportunity.

Cons

The education market is financially challenged and subject to political influence. Budget uncertainty is built into it.

Mar 29, 2017 – CEO/CFO

Thank you for writing this review. The education market does move somewhat with changes in political priority, but also is consistently looking for solutions that support student achievement. Given ... More

8. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in Madison, WI

I have been working at Renaissance Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work environment is very collaborative and innovative. The people are phenomenal and leadership is open-minded.

Cons

Mid-level managers are good, but could be better with some leadership guidance.

Advice to Management

Your best players aren't always your best coaches. Be sure to promote leaders who are able to put aside their pride to help others achieve more. The result is more productivity in the long run.

"Heart is in the right place. Question technical ability."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Wisconsin Rapids, WI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Wisconsin Rapids, WI

I have been working at Renaissance Learning full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice people to work with. Believe in their mission. Feel like you're can make a difference in education. Strong goals of using best practices and implement many of them. Have a few very talented people. Attempting to recognize talent.

Cons

Technical abilities are sorely lacking. Too many skilled programmers who's understanding is only skin deep. Architecture is an afterthought. Solve technical debt by shuffling it around and creating more. Virtually no coordination among programming teams. Spend most of your time fighting the system and not actually doing your job. Many in senior positions are poster children for cargo-cult. Talented individuals get stuck supporting and maintaining the system because they're the only ones capable of doing so.

Advice to Management

Read "The Mythical Man-Month".

Apr 20, 2017 – CTO

Thanks for expressing these concerns. We're investing deeply in both devops automation and quality automation to help reduce support and maintenance time.

"Career change: from an elementary school teacher to an educational software company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wisconsin Rapids, WI

I have been working at Renaissance Learning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive work environment (promoting healthy lifestyles with walk breaks), excellent benefits, productive work day.

Cons

Because technology is changing, it is tough to stay ahead of what new features are offered through the educational programs (rather a challenge than a con). The pay scale ladder is still being developed, asking for larger/ more demanding job description without compensation being established.

Advice to Management

Lean and Agile is great, but very important to continue to deliver training and constant communication on the new tools that are implemented.

Mar 27, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking time to write this review of Renaissance. It sounds like you’re off to a good start with us. I appreciate your comments about Lean/Agile and we recognize that it’s a methodology ... More

"It's a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at Renaissance Learning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked here nearly a year in the Madison office and have only positive things to say about Renaissance- I have fantastic colleagues with diverse backgrounds who are smart and motivated to do their best work. I like my day to day work and feel my input and opinions are valued and that my work is appreciated.

Cons

Have none at the moment.