Renaissance Technologies LLC Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.3

Interviews for Top Jobs at Renaissance Technologies LLC

Quant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Renaissance Technologies LLC (New York, NY) in October 2011.

Interview

Ask around 10 probability/CS/math questions

Interview Questions

• how fast can you find the max in a sorted list of numbers   4 Answers

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Setauket, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Renaissance Technologies LLC (East Setauket, NY) in March 2011.

Interview

Phone call with one of the company heads, who then contacted my references and called me for an onsite day. There was a hour-long research talk, many 1-on-1 and 2-on-1 sessions with 12-14 people total, and a dinner at the end. Several questions on my talk, and many standard quant brainteasers that were fairly easy, but I was not well prepared at the time and did poorly. Most people were quite friendly, but some odd personalities as well. Some 2-on-1 sessions had the interviewers arguing with each other, and the CEO just left me alone in his office to work out a problem without talking much. They mostly hire experienced people from academia and industrial research labs, not new PhDs. Still good experience.

Interview Questions

• Probability of revolver shooting after 2 shots,
      Bayes rule question about finding a two-headed coin in a pile
      1 Answer

Software Development Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Renaissance Technologies LLC in January 2008.

Interview

I spent the day talking to about eight different people, starting with the most junior and ending with the chief scientist. People were in general quite friendly, were mostly interested in assessing my competence rather than assessing personality types or performance under pressure. Employees were of the type usually found in physics departments... a bunch of quite smart people with a mix of oddball personality traits.

Interview Questions

• explain the data type specified from an obfusticated C declaration   Answer Question