Rethink Robotics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Rethink Robotics

2.8

Sort:

Senior Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Rethink Robotics in December 2014.

Interview

I was ask to perform a phone interview with the head of the mechanical engineering department for the position of Senior Mechanical engineer. It became drastically obvious that I was not what he was looking for after about 3 minutes of the interview. Rethink was looking for someone who had significant experience with plastic castings, injection molding, etc. none of which I had any experience with. While I did try to sell my expertise and skill set, it was obvious from the beginning that this was not going to work.

The Engineering Manager was very professional and polite. He appreciated my passion and desire to enter into the robotics industry, but it was very clear that I did not have technical skills he wanted. He asked one quick physics question (see below) which I honestly could have answered better and then that as end of the call. I received a rejection e-mail the next day.

I truly appreciate the speed at which the interview was conducted, and that the engineering manager gave me the opportunity to pitch my skill set even though it did not match his needs. Other than being more than slightly embarrassed about how "wrong" I was for the position, and a slight bruising to my ego, the whole affair was more than civil.

Interview Questions

• You have a ball on a string which you are whirling about your head in a circular orbit. What information do you need to know to determine when the string will break.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rethink Robotics.

Interview

Very quick and to the point. It was enjoyable actually. It's a multi stage interview process, so first I received a 30 minute initial interview over the phone and a week later I'm interviewing in person.

Interview Questions

• If one has a ball tied to a string and is spinning it. What variables does one need to know in order to predict when the string will break?   Answer Question

Core Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rethink Robotics (Boston, MA) in December 2017.

Interview

After a detailed technical phone interview with my would be boss, I was Invited for an on-site interview. There were 5 technical interviews with whiteboard coding or modeling components that lasted 45 minutes each. There was also a hour and a half long lunch with 3 engineers where we talked about previous projects each of us had done, their experience at the company and my interests.

Interview Questions

• Implement a ring buffer with a certain read/write pattern. Then implement the changes required to make it multi-threaded.   Answer Question

Senior Robotics Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rethink Robotics (Boston, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online. The process took about 2-3 weeks. I got a phone call from HR first, asking common questions about background and interest to a company. Next was a phone interview with a Director of Software, asking mostly background questions and how my experience fits the position. In a week got an on-site interview with 5 engineers. Questions covered basic algorithms, C/C++ questions, robotics motion planning and background projects. I did not get an offer as my C/C++ experience was weaker than what they were looking for.

Robotic and Motion Planning Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, DE

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Rethink Robotics (Newark, DE) in February 2016.

Interview

I am in the first round. The interviewer (a less-than-one-year PhD, I am also a new PhD) called me for about 1 hour. He asks technique questions about my project and my experience on my Resume.
    I thought I was doing well, but never received any feedback from him, even though he said he would contact.