Rincon Research Corporation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Rincon Research Corporation

3.8

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Rincon Research Corporation (Tucson, AZ) in December 2011.

Interview

I submitted my resume online based on a recommendation from a friend. About 2 weeks later, I received a phone call, which was a phone interview from the department manager. The discussion was open and genial. I was scheduled for an on-site interview about a week later with about 8, 30 minute interviews with 1 or 2 people each, including lunch. I spent from 8 am until 3 pm there. Most of the interviews were technical problems I had to solve on the board. I recommend the book Programming Interviews Exposed: Secrets to Landing Your Next Job. Every question I was given is covered in this book, which I unfortunately read too late. The company has many women in technical and management jobs. The dress was very casual (jeans and flip-flops, even). The benefits are the best I have ever heard of - almost unbelievably generous. The employees are smart (many PhDs) and enthusiastic about their jobs. Everyone was friendly and reasonable (except for one person who was confrontational). I think it would have been a great place to work. Unfortunately, I did not get an offer. I took off some years for family reasons, and this company did not seem willing to give me extra time to catch back up, which seems common these days.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rincon Research Corporation (Tucson, AZ) in January 2018.

Interview

First I had a one hour phone interview. It was purely technical. I was asked to explain a project I was working on in great detail. He told me after that his goal was to see how much I actually knew rather than how much I was just regurgitating from what my professors has said. A week later I was invited to fly out for an in person interview in Tucson. I was there all day. There were six 30 minute technical interviews each led by a different employee. Some interviews were harder than others but the majority had some lengthy problems to try and tackle.

Interview Questions

• Explain briefly fast fourier transform.

Show me with your hands what a convolution is.

Wrote a bunch of code on the board and asked me to find all syntax errors.

Write code to parse a simple math problem stored in a binary tree.

Write a function that will give you number of cars at certain location on road at any time if you have data for how many cars are at each 100 meter interval gathered every ten seconds.

Given a graph with signals received, determine which signals are noise and which represent an object passing by.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Rincon Research Corporation (Tucson, AZ) in May 2015.

Interview

It was intense. Pretty technical overall, but everyone that I talked to was very knowledgeable and willing to answer my many questions. I met a lot of different people and personalities which tested my ability to adapt and work in various team environments.

Interview Questions

• Circuit analysis - a simple voltage divider   1 Answer

Negotiation

Brief. I took the offer without negotiation.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rincon Research Corporation (Tucson, AZ).

Interview

A couple of interviews, asked about routing software questions and some mathematics ones (Linear Algebra, Calculus). Just know your resume and you're golden. The overall process took a couple months and seemed a little disorganized, but I had a great experience there and nothing to complain about. The interview process was fairly easy when I took it, but I've heard they've ramped up the difficulty in past years.

Signal Processing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Rincon Research Corporation (Tucson, AZ) in December 2010.

Interview

Job interview at Rincon Research is demanding. I first applied on line. Then they scheduled phone interview which took about 1 hour. At the end of the phone interview, they wanted me to write C code (correlation of two arrays) which I emailed them as soon as possible. If you pass theses, then they invite you for all day interview with 6 different engineers and 2 HR people. They take you out to lunch. The onsite interview took from 8-3:30 with one hour lunch break. Interview questions were based on my resume. They want you talk more about your resume than what you already wrote down; they want to see you really know the material you claim to know. Then they will ask you a bunch of small non-engineering questions to see how sharp you are. So, for these tricky questions research on interview questions and answers for google job. It seemed they knew answers to these tricky questions only because they found them from a book or on line. One lady who is a high manager there was disrespectful trying to diminish the previous achievements highlighted on my resume. During lunch, one very young engineer was somewhat annoying by repeating same questions over and over. I did not understand what his point was after answering his questions multiple times. Maybe it is part of their behavioral interview. During the lunch they will keep asking you all the time, so it is not really a normal lunch. I had several friends already working at Rincon and they say it is okay place, nothing spectacular depending on what you want as career. They have benefits I never heard of. They never lose over time; it all counts toward your time off, so you can end up having months of available time off and take it. Other engineers I had the interview with were nice and seem smart.

Interview Questions

• many questions were asked; probably all together over hundred from technical to almost personal   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rincon Research Corporation (Tucson, AZ) in August 2011.

Interview

One 30 minute interview over the phone, and then I was invited for an interview on-site. Everyone was very nice at Rincon. They all dressed unexpectedly casual for a defense contractor.

The interviews were one-on-one with perhaps six different engineers. One asked about how to solve a simple problem with an algorithm, and another asked how one could represent the numerical days of the month using two six-sided dice.

The HR person ended the day, asking how much I wanted to earn. When I responded with what I was currently being paid, he briefly choked - telling me this was far more than expected. This was just after telling me that Rincon was competitive with east coast defense salaries. Apparently, untrue.

Salary was too low.

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rincon Research Corporation (New York, NY).

Interview

I was flown out and arrived in Tucson the day before the interview. They provided a rental car for me to use. Got to explore the University of Arizona for a day! The interview began at 8:30 AM the following day and went until around 4:00 PM. Talked to about 8 different people throughout the course of the day. Lunch was provided. No grilling during lunch, just talk about life in general and in Tucson. Overall, the questions varied between software and signal processing. I didn't find any question to be too difficult. Was a fun interview overall.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to find the next most recent palindrome prior to a given date.   1 Answer

Research Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rincon Research Corporation (Tucson, AZ) in October 2014.

Interview

While I applied for a Research Software Engineer job post, both I and the company were more interested in my working in a problem solving research position, possibly utilizing my broad background in physics research. So the software questions asked me were rather simple (in case the interviewers are reading this and shaking their heads: I flounder on simple questions as much as hard ones, due to over-thinking) However, I was asked a nice thought inducing question about special relativity, which is probably atypical of a software person interview.

I enjoyed the interview process. No nonsense, after HR and the VP, it was people telling me technically related things and what they do (I got a nice lesson on communication theory), and then asking me something to see how I thought through things (not necessarily related to what they were talking about). The people interviewing you are extremely varied and interesting. For example, there is a wizard with impossibly white, impossibly soft/cotton-y hair and beard.

They said I would be tired after all the interviews. I wasn't. I was really mentally energized. The only negative aspect was that I had worked hard to prepare a talk, and I never got to show my talk.

Interview Questions

• I'm not giving away the very best questions prepared by the people here. Those questions would be hard to replace. Here's one that was not planned: I had drawn some birefringent stuff on the board for one interviewer (explaining my past research) and the next interviewer saw it and asked if the atmosphere could be birefringent.   1 Answer

DSP Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rincon Research Corporation.

Interview

Received e-mail request for a phone interview. Phone screen was completely technical. Very in-depth questions about classical DSP. Seemed more like a lecture than an interview, which was off putting and somewhat hostile. All the questions were very technical but seemed canned. Asked open-ended technical questions like how you would design a specific application to test your knowledge of algorithm trade-offs and appropriate usage. All in all, it seemed way harder than it should for an entry level position. The questioned seemed more for if this was a mid-level career interview where you should have had some serious amount of experience coming into it, not fresh out of school. From other reviews, it seems Rincon wanting to fill an entry level position with someone with way more experience and knowledge than your typical college grad but pay an entry level salary might be common (which seems unrealistic). The engineer I spoke to seemed very knowledgeable, but short (temper-wise).

Interview Questions

• Explain to me what a polyphase filter is. What HashMap is. How would you design a ...(DSP application).   1 Answer

DSP Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Rincon Research Corporation (Tucson, AZ).

Interview

The interview was easy, but everyone asked variations of the same questions. From the first person it was clear the interviewers where out of there subject matters. This is usually fine, but they did not do even the most shallow reaserach on the subject. This led to ill defined questions being asked and when told they are ill defined to solve them anyway, or having to explain the most basic concepts of why it is ill defined. Waste of a day. Very unprofessional.