Rock Candy Media Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Rock Candy Media

2.6

Advertising Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rock Candy Media (Austin, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

Quick and to the point. I had one phone interview, and then the CEO called me and asked if I was serious about the position and said she would give me the job if I could prove to her I was worth the hire.

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rock Candy Media in December 2013.

Interview

My situation was actually a little unique- I started out as a paid intern after submitting a blog post to them, and because of that, I didn't actually meet the owner for some time, just dealt with the director. However, because I was doing so well, I got offered a raise and an actual position there- and it was at that point that my interview took place.

However, for most people, it's a matter of writing a blog post about something in media, business, design, advertising, etc that annoys you and submitting that along with your resume. If you're selected, the interview involves speaking with Annie Liao Jones, the CEO and Sam Kimmelman and Samantha Schack, the Director and Business Development Director respectively.

Interview Questions

• The questions themselves are standard- in fact, the interview is more about making sure you can handle the RCM environment rather than the tasks that will be set before you (the assumption is that once you get to the interview stage, everyone's seen enough of your work to judge your potential).

What you might not expect is the CEO's excitability, the breaking off to ask questions or poke fun at her staff, or the lack of PC language. Don't expect anything outright _insert group here_-phobic, but do expect that strict adherence to inoffensive language or jokes isn't going to happen.

I had the privilege of Sam and Samantha acting out a typical day with Annie for me live but as of my being hired, there's now a little sketch video that you'll be shown to prepare you for how lively it gets.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rock Candy Media (Austin, TX) in July 2013.

Interview

The job was posted on Austin Digital Jobs. The next day, the CEO called me and I came in for an interview. I was given an offer on the spot and started the following week. She said she just had a feeling about me and was looking for someone ASAP. I was so excited that it happened so fast.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

She made an offer. I made a counter offer. She accepted.

Content Strategist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rock Candy Media (Austin, TX) in October 2012.

Interview

One of the most important questions is whether you are easily offended. The casual environment means there is a lot of political incorrectness. Make sure to dress well. Not flip-flops. You will be disqualified immediately. Wearing a backpack also doesn't help, though I did.

Another tip: send them your resume through their online careers form now. The boss likes when someone has already applied for a job, and when a position opens up, they go through those resumes before they ever post the job.

If you don't get an email back from them, it's because they are very busy.

Interview Questions

• What do you think about Rock Candy Media?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Often the job will start at a lower salary or wage with the chance to get a raise 3 months later. That's no BS - you will probably get that raise if you're a good fit. I negotiated the salary up, but lower than I'd hoped. A year later I was making almost twice as much.

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Rock Candy Media.

Interview

CEO has most of the staff come in and it's a very nerve wracking experience.

Interview Questions

• Questions about my personal life.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation.

Interview

I was called in the day I applied and was hired on the spot. I was asked two questions, and talked at for two hours.

Interview Questions

• Are you really religious? I don't want someone who is going to get easily offended. Let me check your Facebook page.   Answer Question

Street Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Rock Candy Media (Austin, TX) in January 2013.

Interview

My work spoke for itself, as it does for all the employees. Usually people get themselves hired by merit at legit firms. It was more a conversation than an interview where we shared ideas and vision.

Interview Questions

• A lot of playful funny questions to lighten the mood, mostly about quirks and funny personal anecdotes   Answer Question

Negotiation

I accepted the initial offer as the work is a pleasure

Marketing/Media Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rock Candy Media.

Interview

This was a very strange process, the owner Annie called me on repeat over a weekend demanding for me to take a quiz so she could see if she should invite me to the office for an in-person interview or move forward with an offer for the other candidate by Monday. She called me repeatedly Friday night - I believe around 7:30 pm and then continued to call me Saturday morning repeatedly. Her voicemails were very strange & unprofessional. I could tell there would not be any boundaries within the workplace. I proceeded to provide her with the "quiz" Sunday night in which she never replied.

I would take the negative reviews seriously, it seems like an unstable environment.

Interview Questions

• You are launching an app - what are two expected & unexpected ways to promote it?   Answer Question

Freelance Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Rock Candy Media (Austin, TX) in May 2018.

Interview

Beginning stages of the interview were normal. I was interviewed by a group of people, The office was tense as the owner was having a shouting match in the back office...forcing my interview to run late. Annie still showed up late to the interview, was incredibly rude and left partway through. Then I was asked to write a blog post (and promised $25.00 for the article). The article was initially supposed to be for a fictitious construction company but it was requested that I change it to an RCM blog post the following day (after I had already started the first requested article. I was not given a topic as this was part of the "test" one employee did give me a bit of insight and I wrote a fairly in-depth article. After I submitted the article, the company fell radio silent and after mutltiple attempts at contact I recieved this response

Thank you for taking the time to write the blog. Unfortunately, we cannot use this blog as we needed it to follow the current model on our blog page. I was not told of a current model to follow... nor was I ever paid for my time.

Based on the visible tension and yelling in the office...I'm glad I was not accepted

Interview Questions

• What is the biggest difficulty you've ever had to overcome   Answer Question