SEIU Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at SEIU

Sort:

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SEIU (Washington, DC).

Interview

Applied for an internship in the political department. Was contacted a few days later, had interview the next week. Interview was with both internship coordinators, asked about experiences in school and in past internships. Very relaxed interview, more of a conversation to assess if personalities/political leanings matched.
    Next week had panel interview with several members from the political department. Similar questions, a bit more technical than the first interview (strengths, weaknesses, knowledge of research databases). Interviewers were very welcoming and not at all intimidating. After interview took a test where I edited a 2-page document.
    Met with the political department director a week later. Started as a more formal interview, asked about career goals, 5 year plan, etc. Ended up talking about sports and had a nice chat.
    Offered position 2 days later. Overall process took about 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you overcame adversity or had to stand up for your beliefs   Answer Question

Campaign Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at SEIU in June 2011.

Interview

I applied online and got and finally received an answer after a couple of months had gone by. After a few emails being exchanged, had a phone interview and was offered the job. Talked to HR over the phone and submitted all paperwork over email. First time I ever visited the office was my first day at the job.

Interview Questions

• Interview was clearly divided in two parts: skills and personality.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. I was sent an offer letter and asked to accept or decline.

Administration Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at SEIU (Washington, DC) in July 2008.

Interview

I experience 2 interviews and a test, after answering an online advertisement with a detailed resume. Interviewing and hiring process was very professional, took less than a week and a half overall.

Interview Questions

• How did you become familiar with SEIU? Tell us something you know about SEIU and how it helped bring you here.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Wasn't able to negotiate, salaries are set via an existing labor contract.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SEIU (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was interviewed at an employment agency after taking a skill assessment test, thereafter we discussed the areas of strength and areas where i can grow to better my chances at getting an assignment.

Interview Questions

• What are your best professional skills?   1 Answer

Senior IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Interview

We went through reorganization so my job moved directly over.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Everything is predetermined.

External Organizer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at SEIU (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Group interview with 8 people all with some to significant organizing experience. Round of random questions and then role play of a house visit. For Spanish speakers, role play was done in Spanish as well.

Interview Questions

• When was the first time you witnessed an injustice?   1 Answer

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at SEIU (Washington, DC) in April 2013.

Interview

Two phone interviews followed by two in person interviews. They also had to do a sample piece of work, putting together a plan for a specific project I would be working on.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SEIU (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online, phone interview 2 days later, in-person group interview a week afterwards, final interview scheduled the day after the group interview. But, really it was an extremely unprofressional process. During the group interview, the presenters constantly asked each other what was next and at one point we waited for one of them because they left the room for some reason. Then, when they wanted to schedule the final interview, the HR person just stopped emailing me back so I could never confirm my slot. She finally got back to me at 11pm the day before the interview and I had to tell her I couldn't make it. When I finally told them that I accepted another job, they called and asked 3 times if I was sure that was the right decision. I said absolutely. If the interview process is this unprofessional, that is a huge red flag for actually working for them.

Interview Questions

• What was the riskiest decisions you've made?   1 Answer
    • Why SEIU/labor?   1 Answer

Organizer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at SEIU.

Interview

Most unprofessional organization I have EVER dealt with. The recruiter or hiring manager (I'm not even sure) called me at 11p twice to set up interview times. Granted, she's on the west coast and I am on east, but plan ahead. Totally unacceptable to call an applicant at that hour. Then, we set up a time and date for last Monday. I called her, she sent me to voicemail and then text me "give me 10 mins." 45 MINS later I text again and said do you need to reschedule? She said yes. Rescheduled for today at 4p. She's not on the call AGAIN and I text her at 430 and told her this is all very unprofessional and an indication of how SEIU-UHW runs. She text back and said they are busy trying to staff 3 locations. Not my problem-don't set up interviews and NOT show up for them!

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at SEIU (Houston, TX) in December 2009.

Interview

I applied one evening and the next morning someone called to schedule an interview. This was a phone interview initially. The next step included me coming to Houston, TX for a face to face group interview of about 30 people. We were asked a series of questions pertaining to organizing and relating to people as well as workers on a work site. We were rated on our responses. if you are calm and relaxed you will be offered the position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiations but I would suggest to anyone interested to ask for more if you have the experience.