SEIU Interview Questions | Glassdoor

SEIU Interview Questions

Updated Jul 19, 2018

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SEIU (Washington, DC).

Interview

Applied for an internship in the political department. Was contacted a few days later, had interview the next week. Interview was with both internship coordinators, asked about experiences in school and in past internships. Very relaxed interview, more of a conversation to assess if personalities/political leanings matched.
    Next week had panel interview with several members from the political department. Similar questions, a bit more technical than the first interview (strengths, weaknesses, knowledge of research databases). Interviewers were very welcoming and not at all intimidating. After interview took a test where I edited a 2-page document.
    Met with the political department director a week later. Started as a more formal interview, asked about career goals, 5 year plan, etc. Ended up talking about sports and had a nice chat.
    Offered position 2 days later. Overall process took about 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you overcame adversity or had to stand up for your beliefs   Answer Question

Campaign Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at SEIU in June 2011.

Interview

I applied online and got and finally received an answer after a couple of months had gone by. After a few emails being exchanged, had a phone interview and was offered the job. Talked to HR over the phone and submitted all paperwork over email. First time I ever visited the office was my first day at the job.

Interview Questions

• Interview was clearly divided in two parts: skills and personality.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. I was sent an offer letter and asked to accept or decline.

Administration Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at SEIU (Washington, DC) in July 2008.

Interview

I experience 2 interviews and a test, after answering an online advertisement with a detailed resume. Interviewing and hiring process was very professional, took less than a week and a half overall.

Interview Questions

• How did you become familiar with SEIU? Tell us something you know about SEIU and how it helped bring you here.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Wasn't able to negotiate, salaries are set via an existing labor contract.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SEIU (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was interviewed at an employment agency after taking a skill assessment test, thereafter we discussed the areas of strength and areas where i can grow to better my chances at getting an assignment.

Interview Questions

• What are your best professional skills?   1 Answer

Senior IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Interview

We went through reorganization so my job moved directly over.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Everything is predetermined.

External Organizer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at SEIU (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Group interview with 8 people all with some to significant organizing experience. Round of random questions and then role play of a house visit. For Spanish speakers, role play was done in Spanish as well.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at SEIU (Washington, DC) in April 2013.

Interview

Two phone interviews followed by two in person interviews. They also had to do a sample piece of work, putting together a plan for a specific project I would be working on.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SEIU (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online, phone interview 2 days later, in-person group interview a week afterwards, final interview scheduled the day after the group interview. But, really it was an extremely unprofressional process. During the group interview, the presenters constantly asked each other what was next and at one point we waited for one of them because they left the room for some reason. Then, when they wanted to schedule the final interview, the HR person just stopped emailing me back so I could never confirm my slot. She finally got back to me at 11pm the day before the interview and I had to tell her I couldn't make it. When I finally told them that I accepted another job, they called and asked 3 times if I was sure that was the right decision. I said absolutely. If the interview process is this unprofessional, that is a huge red flag for actually working for them.

Interview Questions

• What was the riskiest decisions you've made?   1 Answer
    • Why SEIU/labor?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at SEIU (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

We had a group interview in Chicago, there were about 30 people present in a small room and we all had to explain our backgrounds. About one third of the people present had union organizing backgrounds, and the main interviewer basically told the group that the rest of us with Political non-union organizing backgrounds were basically useless. So as a political organizer (5 years of campaign experience) I had to sit through an embarrassing 3 hours with only a cold taco they provided for lunch for comfort. Why did they even bring me in if my experience was useless. Room meat.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at SEIU (San Francisco, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

The task I was to be hired for was clear and to the point of what is needed for this Organizer position.
    I have Organized with SEIU in the past and I was very familiar with their Staff and Organizing.

Interview Questions

• Can you organize a Union Action on your own?   1 Answer