SEIU Interview Questions | Glassdoor

SEIU Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SEIU (Chicago, IL).

Interview

First interview was over the phone, which went well (other than the fact that the interviewer did not call at our scheduled time and we had to reschedule, costing me unpaid time off work). Then, they invited me to a 5 hour group interview with 18 other people in the running for their "handful of positions." There was a quick introduction from everyone, and then they did this thing where everyone had to stand up and answer one question that has absolutely nothing to do with organizing or labor. Just one question, with one minute to answer. The day included a lot of information about SEIU and basics of an organizing house call. They don't hesitate to tell you that (ironically) you will be working ridiculous hours with little time off (up to 21 days without a day off, 12-14 hour days), but it's "the nature of the work." Somewhere in there is a short writing exercise where you write a paragraph about your strengths and weaknesses. The last thing is a "one-on-one" interview which literally lasted 2 minutes. They just asked me if I wanted to elaborate on my writing exercise and if I had any questions for them. Oh, and when I got my rejection email, they called me by the wrong name :)

Interview Questions

• If you found out today that you would die at 40, what would you do differently?   Answer Question

External Organizer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at SEIU (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Group interview with 8 people all with some to significant organizing experience. Round of random questions and then role play of a house visit. For Spanish speakers, role play was done in Spanish as well.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SEIU.

Interview

We were brought into a room (about 15 of us total) for a screening wherein they asked us life questions -- "if you could change anything about the world, what would you pick?" -- and then had us roleplay recruitment scenarios.

Interview Questions

• What book that you've read recently would you recommend to someone?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at SEIU (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I turned in an application through email and received a request for interview three months after the email was sent. I interviewed on the phone for a 30 minute period.

Interview Questions

• What do you think the purposes of unions are and why people are reluctant to sign up?   Answer Question
    • What do you think is the cause of the decline in union numbers?   Answer Question
    • What kind of social activism work have you been involved in recently?   Answer Question

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SEIU (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was interviewed at an employment agency after taking a skill assessment test, thereafter we discussed the areas of strength and areas where i can grow to better my chances at getting an assignment.

Interview Questions

• What are your best professional skills?   1 Answer

Organizer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SEIU (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online, phone interview 2 days later, in-person group interview a week afterwards, final interview scheduled the day after the group interview. But, really it was an extremely unprofressional process. During the group interview, the presenters constantly asked each other what was next and at one point we waited for one of them because they left the room for some reason. Then, when they wanted to schedule the final interview, the HR person just stopped emailing me back so I could never confirm my slot. She finally got back to me at 11pm the day before the interview and I had to tell her I couldn't make it. When I finally told them that I accepted another job, they called and asked 3 times if I was sure that was the right decision. I said absolutely. If the interview process is this unprofessional, that is a huge red flag for actually working for them.

Interview Questions

• What was the riskiest decisions you've made?   1 Answer
    • Why SEIU/labor?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SEIU in November 2015.

Interview

Resume-phone screen-online at home test(30mins)-face to face w/ three HRexecs-two weeks-face to face with 6 PLUS the other 3-another week for confirmation. Then the background chexk was STARTED...The process is quiet lengthy for the position. PRAY the 100% company benefits are worth the wait.

Interview Questions

• What do you do if you don't know the answer?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Takes so long for offer,negotiations seem like you may walk yourself out the part. However,I was promised an increased that needed to be approved,which had not been started even though the offer was presented..BTW...all things contingent upon completion of background check.

Communications Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at SEIU.

Interview

Group interview. Terrible way to interview people. I was talked to twice in four hours and that's obviously not the best way to get to know someone. Very disappointed in this

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SEIU (San Jose, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

First is a phone screen/interview. If you ale it past that,you are invited to a "one day" which is a group interview and role play session to see if you are fit for the job. Lasted about 4 hours.

Interview Questions

• Who are the two most inspirational people in your life (dead or alive) and why   1 Answer

Organizer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at SEIU (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

We had a group interview in Chicago, there were about 30 people present in a small room and we all had to explain our backgrounds. About one third of the people present had union organizing backgrounds, and the main interviewer basically told the group that the rest of us with Political non-union organizing backgrounds were basically useless. So as a political organizer (5 years of campaign experience) I had to sit through an embarrassing 3 hours with only a cold taco they provided for lunch for comfort. Why did they even bring me in if my experience was useless. Room meat.