SMU (Southern Methodist University) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

SMU (Southern Methodist University) Interview Questions

Interviews at SMU (Southern Methodist University)

2.6

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SMU (Southern Methodist University).

Interview

I had three separate interviews - one by the hiring team, a group interview, and an interview with executives. It took about a month and a half to receive an offer. They asked some pretty standard questions. I would advise to apply as soon as jobs are posted and do research on SMU and why you want to work there.

Interview Questions

• What is one time you experienced conflict and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Associate Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SMU (Southern Methodist University).

Interview

Preliminary questions asked first before the team selects the finalist to interview on campus. The questions asked are straight forward and the time given to submit your answers was a week. Everyone is really nice and welcoming.

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions asked is you have workin in higher education.   Answer Question

Visiting Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SMU (Southern Methodist University) (Dallas, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

Fly out the previous night, interview all AM and early afternoon, fly back in the evening. The morning interviews were with two professors in the department, over breakfast; the chair of the department; and other faculty, over lunch. Then I taught a class and gave a presentation of my research.

Interview Questions

• What sort of seminars would you teach?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Interview

Most positions for student workers at SMU are simply resume and essay focused. First stage was submitting a resume. Second stage was writing an essay, very similar to a cover letter, but it was about 3 pages, expressing interest in the position and describing details. Finally the interview was behavioral and basically asked for clarification of my essay.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SMU (Southern Methodist University) (Dallas, TX).

Interview

I had a phone interview then they phoned back after about a week to request an interview.

The interview process was about 3 separate panel interviews with an average of 5 people per panel. They wanted representation from the various departments that the position would be working with.
    They were very thorough.

I also had to take a skills assessment (spelling, grammar, MS Word/Excel).

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were not able to complete an assignment on time. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SMU (Southern Methodist University) (Dallas, TX).

Interview

SMU takes an ungodly amount of time to schedule a phone interview. Then once you pass that round, you go in for an in person interview. The in person interview is a breeze if you just smile and act very confident. If you're working in Student Affairs, the people interviewing you will not be very bright. They like to do everything in groups to make it appear to be more intimidating and like they make decisions as a group. Everything in SMU Student Affairs is very collective, but you will find that it is just a facade. The boss of whatever center, department, etc. makes the decision with a huge committee or panel of people under them that serve to create the appearance that their collective analyses of the information results in the decision. In reality, they do little to nothing but have meetings and take minutes...with each meeting not improving on the previous one and the minutes looking identical with a few minute changes. Whatever boss A decides to do will happen and the committee will simply create a sense that the decision was made as a group. It's very odd.

Interview Questions

• Describe some difficulties or negative experiences with your previous employer.   1 Answer

Negotiation

SMU is notoriously cheap. I recommend sticking to the salary you want. Keep in mind that SMU nickels and dimes their employees with many fees that they don't tell you about in the interview process. For example, you will have to pay for parking which will come out of your paycheck. If you enroll in a Master's Program that is actually valuable (not the MLA -- now MLS program) you will have to pay taxes which come out all at once as the administrative team is slow about deducting your paycheck. I know a woman who had her last paycheck of the year (Christmas time) be ZERO dollars because the department that deducts your paycheck for the taxes from a Master's Program does not always break it out over the year and just suddenly, without warning, take out all of the taxes due all at once. I highly recommend you looking for a job at a public university or even community college in the area if you don't get the offer you want...as you'll make much more money. Many people leave SMU to go work for UTD, as they pay better.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SMU (Southern Methodist University) (Dallas, TX) in June 2008.

Interview

I saw the job posting on their HR website, submitted an electronic application with my resume. I had to go in for testing and an initial interview with an HR rep. A week later I had to go in to interview with my would-be supervisor. A week later I had the job pending a drug and criminal check, which of course came out fine, and I attended orientation and began work the following week.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The salary and hours were as expected. However, I had a very ill mother and had to arrange to work remotely on occasion to be with her in the hospital. Luckily, they accomodated this request without hesitation.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at SMU (Southern Methodist University) (Dallas, TX) in May 2013.

Interview

No the interview process , just work hard for a year as student and pass the exam and get it

Technical Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SMU (Southern Methodist University) (Dallas, TX) in June 2011.

Interview

It was a very good step by step process.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at SMU (Southern Methodist University) (Dallas, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

Hired by professor after performance in one of their classes. Offered a position and took it at the end of the semester. Was given the optionto pursue as thesis but decided to take it on as a job.