Safeway Canada Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Safeway Canada Interview Questions

Updated Oct 6, 2017

2.0

Over Night Stocker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Langley, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Safeway Canada (Langley, BC (Canada)) in March 2017.

Interview

Quick review, asked about customer service, briefly went over my resume. Was offered the job right away as they really didn't have anyone else, were desperate. She was honest about the low wage, $11/hour and the raise in 3 mths of 10cents. Unrealistic about how hard physically the job was and how much less we are paid than all other positions in store.

Interview Questions

• What you thought good customer service meant   1 Answer

Pharmacy Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Safeway Canada (Winnipeg, MB (Canada)) in February 2017.

Interview

Safeway/Sobeys usually does mass interviews for students. Pharmacy students are asked to email their resumes and from their interviews are set up. The interviews are usually 30 minutes in length and are conducted by 1-2 people (generally hiring managers)

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question
    • Where do you see the profession of pharmacy going in the next 5 to 10 years and what role will you play?   Answer Question
    • What characteristics are important for working in a pharmacy?   Answer Question
    • What skills do you have that make you an ideal candidate   Answer Question
    • You are working in a community pharmacy and you notice an error. What do you do?   Answer Question
    • What makes a patient choose one pharmacy over another?   Answer Question
    • The pharmacy is busy and you are asked to counsel a patient on a Rx. What do you do?   Answer Question

Deli Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Safeway Canada (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in January 2017.

Interview

The online application was very simple and easy. I got a phone call from the store manager shortly after. My interview took place on foot walking around the store, ending in around 15 minutes with the interviewer complimenting me on my resume. I expect most other interviews would last longer than mine did.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Safeway?   1 Answer
    • The deli is a very fast paced environment. Do you think you can handle that?   Answer Question

Deli Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Safeway Canada (Edmonton, AB (Canada)).

Interview

It was easy; I got a call, went in a day later, was hired within the week.

I was asked a few basic questions, mostly about my availability and desire to work there.

I asked three questions (who would I work with, what is hard about this job and what is easy, and what the liked and disliked about working at safeway) which the interviewer really liked.

Even that day, I knew I got the job as the manager (who was really nice and not at all like my experience with the superiors in deli) kept asking about my hours and displayed training schedules.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at safeway?   1 Answer
    • Are you ok working with meat?   1 Answer
    • What is your availability?   1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Surrey, BC (Canada)

Interview

I went to drop off my resume at the 7450 120 st location. I was told to speak to one of the hiring managers who was working at one of the tills. I had just finished introducing myself and was about to take out my resume when she said, "I don't have time to deal with that right now." I was nervous from the start so when she insulted me like that in front of everyone she created an awful lump in my throat. As a manager your job is to portray excellent customer service skills but this lady was just plain rude. She could've told me to wait 15 minutes as an employee's job is to help the customer but she put me down completely. I left the store very dissappointed and hurt. The experience was extremely unprofessional and mean. It's not a matter of sensitivity but a matter of humanity.

Deli Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Safeway Canada (Richmond, BC (Canada)) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Got a call after 3 days told me to come in for interview. Interview was straightforward. Interviewer was the assistant manager and he's really nice and friendly. I was told it will be the manager who was apparently strict.

Interview Questions

• What do I know about Safeway? What do they sell at the Deli Department? What's my availability?   1 Answer

Deli Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Thunder Bay, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Safeway Canada (Thunder Bay, ON (Canada)) in August 2016.

Interview

You go to the front desk and say " I'm here for the interview" then you go sit in Starbucks and wait for the hiring manager. Then they will sit down and explain the job to you. You'll sign some forms then return them later that day or the next day, then within 3 days you'll get a call telling you when your training shift are and you're hired.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stony Plain, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Safeway Canada (Stony Plain, AB (Canada)) in August 2016.

Interview

They brought me in, asked about myself, where I had worked before. They then went through their questions, mostly tailored to customer experience. It was at this point they asked if I was over 18 and willing to work instead in the gas bar, as they had immediate open positions there. Though I took the gas bar position, I didn't know at the time just how different the contracts between the store and gas bar were as far as benefits and pay went.

Interview Questions

• What was one product in the store I liked and how would I tell a customer about that product.   1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Safeway Canada (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in March 2016.

Interview

You apply for the job through Safeway's online hiring tool, which is rather outdated. If the hiring employee likes your resume, they'll call you and ask a few questions. If that goes well, an interview is scheduled. The interview takes place in a back room in the office of the store. It's pretty informal, with both you and the hiring employee sitting on high chairs, surrounded by books and binders.

Food Clerk Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Safeway Canada.

Interview

You go into the HR's office, sit down, and they ask everyone pretty much the same questions. Key is to remember your login and password for your online account as the company is beginning to move online with everything as it helps them save costs. With these things in mind, its difficult to do something so erroneous that they won't hire you.