Sage Manufacturing Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sage Manufacturing

Candidate Interview Review

Demand Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bainbridge Island, WA

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Sage Manufacturing (Bainbridge Island, WA).

Interview

Sage (Farbank) had an extensive interview process that started with a questionnaire during the submission of my resume and cover letter.

Following that screening was a secondary questionnaire (word document) with additional content regarding position competencies and process knowledge. I believe they asked for a 24-hour turnaround on that one via email.

Next was a phone interview with an HR manager followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. (30 minutes then 45 minutes).

Finally I was brought on site to interview, from 8:00am to 2:00pm on a Monday, during which I was required to present / lead an hour long S&OP meeting with a PowerPoint I put together from some basic demand data they provided the week prior to the interview.

The meeting was attended by the COO, CFO and I believe the VP of sales, as well as additional sales personnel, the previous demand planner, and an IT manager.

Before and after the meeting were individual interviews with most of these people for 30 or 45 minute durations. Also included was lunch with the hiring manager.

In total, the various interviews and prep time came to something like eight hours, not counting the 120 minutes it took to travel to-from Bainbridge over the ferry.

I had to take a full day of PTO to travel and attend the interview.

After all of this, Farbank did not offer to compensate my travel costs, not even the ferry cost.

They also did not follow up in the days following the interview as promised. In fact, I made multiple follow up calls with no response. Six business days later the HR manager finally returned my call to tell me they'd decided to go a different direction.

Everyone I met was quite friendly and helpful. The on-site interview was organized and well executed. I enjoyed a tour of the manufacturing facility and met a lot of people that seemed to love their jobs. The company appeared to take an employees-centric approach to business.

However, several employees at Farbank gave me the odd feeling they didn't know why I'd want to work there. They implied repeatedly that the business had little opportunity for growth (I was then working at a fast-growing outdoor industry company at the time) and expressed uncertainty in the company's future and stagnant outlook. Also apparent was a stronger than normal resistance to change, in business process as well as technology. The Sage business seemed more interested in maintaining a status quo and allowing the Rio brand to drive any growth in the business, so perhaps this is only true of the Washington-based operations. (The RIO and Redington brands seemed to be performing better but are produced in Idaho or Asia.)

All together these revelations were a little discomforting. I was a little turned off by what seemed to be a stagnant business culture, but still I left that interview wanting to work for Farbank because the people did seem great and enjoyed their jobs, they offered a nice benefits package, and I love their products.

Overall I've rated the interview experience as neutral. The people were nice and the process was well organized but the commitment of time and money to participate in an extensive on-site interview on Bainbridge should have been recognized and reimbursed. Also after all that, I shouldn't have had to repeatedly pursue the HR manager for a follow up.

Interview Questions

• What inspired you to apply and what has you considering professional change?   Answer Question
    • In what ways have you improved upon your planning tools?   Answer Question
    • Are you willing to commute or relocate to Bainbridge Island?   Answer Question
    • What are your salary requirements?   Answer Question