Sanger Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 22, 2017

3.1

Bioinformatician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I received the invitation for a Skype interview a week after the application deadline. The group leader and the principal bioinformatician conducted the interview. They were really nice, and we had an enjoyable talk. They mainly described the projects and Sanger Institute, and asked questions on my background and project-related skills.

Interview Questions

• What I have done so far, do I have the necessary skills and experience for the particular project.   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Interview

3 individual interviews with prospective PIs and one group interview. Thorough and challenging but interesting. The interviewers definitely test your knowledge and your passion for the subject. Even though the interview process is quite exhausting, it is always conducted with respect and enthusiasm.

Interview Questions

• If you had a large grant and 3 post docs working for you, what dream project would you pursue?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

The job description had lots of spelling mistakes and the name of the manager was not given, which I felt was a great oversight.

A personality test is used. This is has real value for use in screening out extremes eg narcissistic behaviour and was pleasing to see. For anything more subtle, it was like a horoscope ie true however you filled it in. I filled it in honestly and it came out looking as if the test was unreliable. I imagine it would be easy to look at the job description and fill it in according to the desired traits. The time taken to do the test is given, so if you have lots of interruptions it will look as if you took a long time to complete the test.

The face of the person interviewing me, visibly fell when she saw me. I had brushed and polished myself up, so it was probably my gender or age that was the problem.

i imagine that the job went to an internal candidate. This wasted considerable time and effort on external interviewees' part which was partly made up for by travelling expenses being paid.

Interview Questions

• Many questions about my current position; not many about the position being applied for. This means if you are looking at taking the next step up, there are few opportunities to show you can do the job.   Answer Question

Corporate Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied online, was sent an advanced interview date, psychometric test and title for presentation. Attended a one hour panel interview with pre-prepared presentation and competency questions. This was followed by a further panel meeting with HR to go through psychometric test. A follow up 2nd interview was then quickly arranged via e:mail the next day, having told me they'd only keep me waiting a few days, they were even more efficient.

Interview Questions

• Typical competency......tell me about a time, or give me an example of - these are based on your psychometric test which guides them where to probe.   1 Answer

Advanced Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hinxton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Hinxton, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

it was a 90 minute interview. First interviewed by 3 people (1 HR, and 2 Senior scientists) lasted for 40 minutes. Then the senior head interviewed for 10 minutes 1:1. Then lab tour and introduced to other members of lab who took for coffee and chat and send off.

Interview Questions

• 1) Tell me about your research experiences?
      2) How do you pass information about your work to colleagues?
      3) where do you see yourself 5 years from now?
      4) what is the most effective experiment or research work you have done?
      5) what motivates you?
      6) how do you trouble shoot?
      7) and asked to explain the techniques in the job description   Answer Question

Senior Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied weeks before the deadline and received an invitation for an interview only 3 days after the deadline date. I could choose my preferred day and timr for the interview from a good number of available slots, which was very nice. There was a panel of 4 senior staff, including the group leader. I had to give a 10 minute presentation on what I could bring to the position. Then, they interviewed me for around 50 minutes and lastly I was shown around the lab and the rest of the campus

Interview Questions

• What are the main challenges in this field?   Answer Question
    • Can you tell me about a time when someone you taught was not performing as you expected? And how did you face that challenge?   Answer Question
    • Can you tell me about a time you organised a few people to work on the same project?   Answer Question
    • What has been the most challenging time during your PhD?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult co-worker   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hinxton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Hinxton, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

I attended an interview for a Research Assistant position. The interview was scheduled for 90 minutes.

Upon being seated in the interview room, I was informed that the Group Leader, would not be attending the interview. No reason was provided for her non-attendance. I felt the interview should have been cancelled and rescheduled if the entire selection committee was not able to attend.

The interview was poorly structured and poorly organised, as the panel of two had no pre- set questions to ask me regarding the position or the Sanger Institute itself.

The interviewer informed me that the position was required for 8 months only. However this was not stated in the job description.

None of the interviewers present were able to answer my questions. Both could not explain the scientific concepts neither in words nor sentences, even though my question was about something highlighted on their group website.

The interviewers did not have a copy of my CV or the job description to hand. No Human Resources staff were present during the interview and no copies of my qualifications or ID were requested.

The interview lasted for a total of 25 minutes. The interviewers informed me that I would hear back in one week regarding an outcome. Fifty minutes afterward a recruitment adviser sent an email to say my application will not be progressed. However, when requested, she could not provide any feedback.

I was offended at the poor and unprofessional interview conduct of the interviewers.

The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute itself looks like Elysium space station. The architecture and landscaping is gorgeous.

Bioinformatics Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cork (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Cork (Ireland)).

Interview

The interview was very nice. On an average the difficulty level was intermediate. But their expectations are pretty high even if they mention they need MSc grads(or higher) in the essential requirements.

Courses and Conferences Organizer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hinxton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Hinxton, England (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

I was asked to prepare 2 proposals for new conferences, in a topic that I don't know. I prepared a solid slide show, they seemed to like me. Interview was 1h + almost 1h informal.

Interview Questions

• What other conferences would you organise?   1 Answer

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sanger Institute.

Interview

I first sent an online application in december and received an invitation for the open day in January. In the open day, there were three interviews. Of these interviewes, two were with individual interviewers and another with a panel interview with three interviewers. I received a rejection a couple days after the interview.