Sanger Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 14, 2016

3.1

Bioinformatician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I received the invitation for a Skype interview a week after the application deadline. The group leader and the principal bioinformatician conducted the interview. They were really nice, and we had an enjoyable talk. They mainly described the projects and Sanger Institute, and asked questions on my background and project-related skills.

Interview Questions

• What I have done so far, do I have the necessary skills and experience for the particular project.   Answer Question

Corporate Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied online, was sent an advanced interview date, psychometric test and title for presentation. Attended a one hour panel interview with pre-prepared presentation and competency questions. This was followed by a further panel meeting with HR to go through psychometric test. A follow up 2nd interview was then quickly arranged via e:mail the next day, having told me they'd only keep me waiting a few days, they were even more efficient.

Interview Questions

• Typical competency......tell me about a time, or give me an example of - these are based on your psychometric test which guides them where to probe.   1 Answer

Advanced Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hinxton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Hinxton, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

it was a 90 minute interview. First interviewed by 3 people (1 HR, and 2 Senior scientists) lasted for 40 minutes. Then the senior head interviewed for 10 minutes 1:1. Then lab tour and introduced to other members of lab who took for coffee and chat and send off.

Interview Questions

• 1) Tell me about your research experiences?
      2) How do you pass information about your work to colleagues?
      3) where do you see yourself 5 years from now?
      4) what is the most effective experiment or research work you have done?
      5) what motivates you?
      6) how do you trouble shoot?
      7) and asked to explain the techniques in the job description
      Answer Question

Senior Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied weeks before the deadline and received an invitation for an interview only 3 days after the deadline date. I could choose my preferred day and timr for the interview from a good number of available slots, which was very nice. There was a panel of 4 senior staff, including the group leader. I had to give a 10 minute presentation on what I could bring to the position. Then, they interviewed me for around 50 minutes and lastly I was shown around the lab and the rest of the campus

Interview Questions

• What are the main challenges in this field?   Answer Question
    • Can you tell me about a time when someone you taught was not performing as you expected? And how did you face that challenge?   Answer Question
    • Can you tell me about a time you organised a few people to work on the same project?   Answer Question
    • What has been the most challenging time during your PhD?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult co-worker   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hinxton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Hinxton, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

I attended an interview for a Research Assistant position. The interview was scheduled for 90 minutes.

Upon being seated in the interview room, I was informed that the Group Leader, would not be attending the interview. No reason was provided for her non-attendance. I felt the interview should have been cancelled and rescheduled if the entire selection committee was not able to attend.

The interview was poorly structured and poorly organised, as the panel of two had no pre- set questions to ask me regarding the position or the Sanger Institute itself.

The interviewer informed me that the position was required for 8 months only. However this was not stated in the job description.

None of the interviewers present were able to answer my questions. Both could not explain the scientific concepts neither in words nor sentences, even though my question was about something highlighted on their group website.

The interviewers did not have a copy of my CV or the job description to hand. No Human Resources staff were present during the interview and no copies of my qualifications or ID were requested.

The interview lasted for a total of 25 minutes. The interviewers informed me that I would hear back in one week regarding an outcome. Fifty minutes afterward a recruitment adviser sent an email to say my application will not be progressed. However, when requested, she could not provide any feedback.

I was offended at the poor and unprofessional interview conduct of the interviewers.

The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute itself looks like Elysium space station. The architecture and landscaping is gorgeous.

Bioinformatics Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cork (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Cork (Ireland)).

Interview

The interview was very nice. On an average the difficulty level was intermediate. But their expectations are pretty high even if they mention they need MSc grads(or higher) in the essential requirements.

Courses and Conferences Organizer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hinxton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Hinxton, England (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

I was asked to prepare 2 proposals for new conferences, in a topic that I don't know. I prepared a solid slide show, they seemed to like me. Interview was 1h + almost 1h informal.

Interview Questions

• What other conferences would you organise?   1 Answer

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sanger Institute.

Interview

I first sent an online application in december and received an invitation for the open day in January. In the open day, there were three interviews. Of these interviewes, two were with individual interviewers and another with a panel interview with three interviewers. I received a rejection a couple days after the interview.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in May 2012.

Interview

Panel interview based on site with the group leaders and senior lab members that I would be working with. First presented my previous work in a 10 minute presentation, followed by questions about both my previous work and the skills that I could bring to the advertised position. The interview only lasted for about an hour.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Salary determined by years of experience

Placement Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hinxton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sanger Institute (Hinxton, England (UK)) in March 2012.

Interview

Two people interviewed me, both team leaders within the same large research group. We first talked about the nature of the position and my background. They then asked why I had applied and what kind of relevant experience I had to bring to the table. They also asked a few "text book" questions about biochemistry to test my general knowledge of the subject. They then told my that they would contact me and let me know in the near future.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They simply offered me the position with the published salary