Scalyr Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Scalyr

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Scalyr (San Francisco, CA) in February 2019.

Interview

Absolutely pathetic. Arrogant bunch of people including recruiter. Wasted my one hr for this such ordinary company. No innovation. Just like a competitor to Splunk. But splunk is way ahead of them.

Interview Questions

• Token bucket, leaky bucket algorithm for Rate limiting   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Scalyr (San Mateo, CA) in June 2018.

Interview

I would like to start by saying, this interview process was one of the best interview processes I've had in my job search. And I really appreciated the care, energy, and effort given throughout the entire process.

There was a phone screen set up going over foundational knowledge of UI and getting a feel of what type of team, projects, and culture was being developed at Scalyr.

The onsite interview process consisted of a series of 1-1 interviews, going across technical challenges, software engineering best practices, and culture fit. Each person was very collaborative and helpful in guiding the conversation to a better understanding of the problem and solution.

Afterwards, as the offer came in Kathleen was very informative and available for all questions. She explained things in detail and went the extra mile to further the conversation and see what was the right thing to do.

Overall I was very happy with the entire interview process and would recommend this company for any engineer looking for a new exciting, company to join! Thanks!

Interview Questions

Scalyr Response

Dec 10, 2018

Thank you for this review! I really appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts. We are glad you had such a positive experience, found the interview itself challenging and found that each... More

Business Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Scalyr (San Mateo, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Email exchanges, a take-home project, a phone screen with the role's direct manager, on-site interview with three people (CEO, COO, and Business Operations Manager), lunch with the team. In the afternoon, there were a few 1:1 sessions with the three individuals listed above.

Interview Questions

• Detail for us your thought process around organizing an office move.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Scalyr (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process was straight forward and what you would expect from a Bay Area tech company - it consisted of five interviews.

Three separate phone screens, one with the recruiter, manager, and co-founder, and one on-site interview. Finally, I was asked back for a culture fit hike.

The Scalyr team members I interviewed with have impressive backgrounds, so it was refreshing when they cared more about getting to understand me, rather than spend the first 10 minutes explaining how great they were (which seems to be trending).

Overall, it was a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• previous experiences, pitch previous company's product (known before hand), very light technical aptitude questions   Answer Question

Jul 18, 2018 – VP of Operations

Happy you found our process straightforward and that you valued (as we do) the time we spend getting to know the whole person: skill fit as well as team culture match. We have grown a lot since... More

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Scalyr (San Mateo, CA) in June 2018.

Interview

I was contacted via a recruiter. There were 3 rounds to the interview. First, introduction round. Second was technical screen. Technical screen was more of a technical introduction. There were a lot of question about my technical past and some front-end specific questions and some design related questions based on my previous experience. The third round was an onsite interview. There were total of 4 rounds. First 2 were a pair programming exercise to build a simple page to show data with some actions based on an mocked API end point. Then there was a front end design design problem, followed by an API design problem. I got an offer the next day and accepted a week later. Interview process was very straight-forward and easy.

Interview Questions

Scalyr Response

Jul 18, 2018 – VP of Operations

Thanks for sharing the interview process so clearly so others know what to expect. We are thrilled you’re on board!

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Scalyr (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Didn't make it past the phone screen. To add some context, this was the only one out of 18 interviews where I didn't make it past at least the 2nd phone screen. I guess when its not a git its pretty clear.

I spoke to one of their Sales Directors. For a company that is positioning itself as very different from most Silicon Valley start ups i got to talk to a very typical sales bro. Arrogant, disrespectful, the works.

One of the reasons he said Scalyr is "different" is because everyone is so smart. I believe their head count at the time I spoke to him was around 15. Start-up with 15 employees and all of them are smart doesn't seem that unusual to me.

Competition? What competition, the 15 of us are on a collision course with Spunk, everyone else is slow and pathetic. In the mean time, admits to losing out a deal at my former company to another competitor due to lack of PCI compliance.

He didn't ask any technical questions.

As the call ended it was clear we wouldn't be moving forward. Company may be interesting, I didn't get a chance to find out. But they are not as different as they are advertising. They were looking for a very typical salesy SE which I would agree, is not the right fit for me.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about how you were involved in making a sale (if that sounds a lot like the first questions its because he asked it twice)   Answer Question
    • Tell me about how you were involved in the sale process   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Scalyr (San Mateo, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

I was introduced to Scalyr through a mutual connection. They were responsive to email, set up a time to connect and the person I spoke with was ontime & I felt had done their homework - they had reviewed my resume and information. We had a terrific dialog that included an honest overview of the company and the expectations for the work.

We spoke again a few times to talk over the role, the team and what the short & long term goals were not only for my role, but how it fit into the big picture.

When I inerviewed onsite, I was very impressed with the office! It was honestly one of the cleanest and most organized start-ups I've visited. For a small company they had a really nice space and cool perks.

Interview Questions

• Have you done this work before? Give us an example of it going well/not well? How would you approach the situation knowing these [X] things...?   Answer Question

Customer Success Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Scalyr (San Mateo, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

Thorough, fair interview process. I felt heard and understood as a person. The process didn't go too long, nor was it too short. I liked how energetic and thoughtful the team was.

Front-End Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Scalyr in August 2016.

Interview

Had a phone call, he gave an overview of the company and job position. I gave an overview of my background and what I was looking for. Then there was a coding exercise, not too difficult. Was compensated for time spent on the exercise. Ultimately didn't get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Coding exercise involved displaying data fetched from an API.   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Scalyr (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2018.

Interview

Gave a coding challenge which was a bit difficult. Solved 2 out of 3 problems and then received a callback for a brief HR round to confirm my availability for the technical round.
    The technical round lasted for about an hour.
    Firstly, my interviewer interpreted the question she had given me wrongly. It took me 10 mins to explain to her why what she expected me to do was wrong according to the question. Although I tried to explain my approach to the best of my ability, the interviewer was not able to understand the logic behind my solution. Got a reject the next day.

Interview Questions

• Find common words from multiple sentences and the number of times they occur in each of them.   Answer Question