Shopify Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Shopify Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2017

2.6

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Shopify in March 2017.

Interview

I initially applied for a Data Stores Engineer position, but I guess my application was passed on to a front end recruiter. He emailed me twice stating how excited he was to speak to me and was very interested in fielding my application with the different teams he worked with. I responded with my updated resume and got on a phone call with him. We spoke about my experience and went over some general questions about why I want to work at Shopify and what I am interested in working on.

The call concluded on 3/29 with the recruiter telling me that he will definitely get back to me by 4/5 and to follow up if I didn't receive anything from him by then. I followed up on 4/5 when I didn't receive anything by end of day. I didn't hear back at all for the remainder of the week.

Prior to 3/29 and even a few days after 3/29, the recruiter would respond very quickly to all my emails. I guess once he wasn't interested, I was just tossed aside. For a company that prides their recruiting process on responsiveness and professionalism, I definitely didn't feel that. I also did some research and it seemed like they really value candidates who can "draw the owl"(having an unfamiliar/unique opportunity and being able to figure out how to solve it). I was able to come across the CEO's reddit handle and messaged him directly to try to demonstrate my ability to "draw the owl." Nothing so far.

I don't think the recruiting process there is any different from anywhere else. Typical recruiters who don't care at all about candidates and are just looking to earn their commission or however those bottom-feeders make money.

Voice of KIT Interview

Interview

I didn't get a call to interview but I think it's important to note I received an email in the middle f the afternoon on Thanksgiving telling me thanks but no thanks. Strange timing to deliver bad news and unfortunate that the Shopify culture includes working on thanksgiving. Let the people take a break on the day thanks!

Interview Questions

• To write a response to a customer service question in the voice of KIT   Answer Question

Shopify Response

Nov 28, 2016 – Director of Talent Acquistion

Hi there! Thanks for your feedback. The recruiter working on the Voice of Kit role actually lives and works in Canada. In Canada our thanksgiving holiday was early October and the team certainly took ... More

Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Shopify in December 2016.

Interview

They reached out to be via linkedin to request an intro call. That was 15 minutes. I gave an overview of my career. Nora, the recruiter gave me an overview of the company, design team and growth from startup to large company.

This was followed by a 60-minute remote video interview with Nora. It was a storytelling interview that was an overview of my life. Nora was very personable and kind, and it was kind of fun. I asked her questions about herself too, because it was a bit odd to talk about myself endlessly. The last thing she told me during the interview was that she was going to chat with Design Leadership and get back to me.

From my perspective, I thought it went well, or at least ok. However, I never heard from her again. I sent a follow-up email a week later. I never heard back. It is ok that I didn't proceed forward in the process, as I could have been a bad fit for the team. However, I would have appreciated a courtesy email to let me know that.

Interview Questions

• It began with, Nora, the recruiter, told me a bit about her life path and story. She the asked me "Tell me about your life story."   1 Answer

Developer Relations Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Shopify in July 2016.

Interview

Was recruited by Shopify. Had an initial phone call with a teammate. After that I had two in-person interviews, and a Skype interview with a remote teammate. I gave them my references, and am waiting to hear back now. The process has taken about a month.

Everyone I talked to so was so nice! Seriously. They were awesome. The interview process was very different from what I've experienced with other companies in the past. I felt like they really wanted to get to know who I was as a person a lot more than other companies.

Also I should mention, their recruitment team is so on top of things. I was told exactly what the process would be like, what interviews would entail, when to expect to hear back, etc. And they nailed it. There wasn't a lot of waiting and wondering, and there were no 'throw you off guard' surprises.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Shopify in May 2015.

Interview

Very easy but strange interview questions. The interviewer started off saying that Shopify is known for their more "personal" process. In this case personal is just code word for invasive. The recruiter wanted to know where I was born and raised, how I was seen by my peers growing up, what kind of job my parents had, etc.

CS Guru (Remote) Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Shopify in April 2015.

Interview

The process took a little over a week. I had a conversation about my experience with a recruiter on Skype, which was very casual. He was very straightforward about the steps involved in the interview process, which I appreciated. The next step was "The Gautlet", which is a 3-hour simulation that gives you the opportunity to practice being a Guru by answering real customer questions. This really allows you to see if the job would be a good fit for you. The next day, I spoke to a hiring manager who asked me a few basic questions about myself and gave me the opportunity to ask my questions about the role.

Interview Questions

• I was essentially just asked to walk the recruiter through my resume.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Shopify (Charlotte, NC) in December 2014.

Interview

There was a phone screening with a recruiter to see if the candidate was a good fit for the team in terms of personality. The second interview was scheduled for the next day. The second interview was technical and was based on sharing a document so the interviewer could watch the candidate's problem-solving strategies. The interview was entirely online/over the phone.

Interview Questions

• How can you create a table to store customer information?   Answer Question

Big Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Shopify in October 2014.

Interview

First Interview was with HR.The second one was with the manager and it was about the Map Reduce. The third interview was with the person who has done some work in Machine Learning and it was about the clustering algorithms and whether I have worked on that or not. The entire interview process was focused on my work experience.The people I spoke to were very nice.
    I was told that my canadian visa shall be processed but I wasn't prepared to got to Cannada.I will definitely recommend this company

Interview Questions

• What was my experience working on big data technologies   Answer Question

New Grad Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Shopify (Ottawa, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Went in with a reference. Got called for an interview. The interviewee was amazing, kept it casual and engaging. Not technical at all. Dont be scared to have a conversation but be sure to throw in tech terms and explain roles and duties done by yourself
    Their office is amazing. They give you a tour. They take you to a conference room and you basically talk the interview away!

Customer Support Guru Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Shopify (Ottawa, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Phone interview - she called 10 minutes late. She was curt and unfriendly, as though I was wasting her time. It lasted 10 minutes, throughout which there was no conversation - she asked basic questions, I answered, and she didn't listen or follow up. I'm so happy I didn't get offered another interview because it turned me right off the company.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions - why do you want to do this, what do you know about Shopify...   Answer Question