KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 1,182 of over 1,366 reviews

4.3
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke
Pros
  • "Shopify is like a university in itself; a gigantic learning hub for anyone that wants to(in 134 reviews)

• "Flexible work hours and good work from home support(in 94 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Shopify is not scared to shift priorities or change project focus if there’s clear signals to do so(in 120 reviews)

• "Entry level (Guru) is an incredibly stressful job(in 54 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about Shopify

Join the conversation on
    Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Shopify and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Overall great culture in a company that respects their engineers

Jan 12, 2022 - Senior Software Developer
      Business Outlook

Pros

- work life balance - skilled coworkers - opportunities to learn and grow - can collaborate with people on and outside of your team - they provide $$ and equipment to help with home office setup, which is great cause we're remote - no commute - opportunities to travel with team to meet irl.

Cons

- monolith that takes a while to build and run locally, and hard to get it working consistently with thousands of devs committing code - worried that hiring too quickly will change culture

2. 5.0

Dream job

Oct 31, 2021 - Software Developer
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Diverse group of brilliant and engaged minds to work with - Spend time working on interesting problems - Open source commitment is in the fabric of the company - Blameless culture (really) - They do not care where you went to school or really if you even went to school - Great work life balance - Great benefits including mental health specifically - One thing that some might think of as a “con” I actually enjoy: you need to be self organized. There are mentors and you make buddies, and of course you have a lead, but the expectation is that you will own your “own development” to a great extent and act like a smart mature adult. I actually thrive on being self organized and efficient, so it’s a great environment for me (at the same time it is a very safe pace to make mistakes and grow!) - Toni’s a great leader. The senior leadership team is also great, like COO Toby. They are all strangely human and down to earth and smart.

Cons

Kinda one weird thing about the benefits to me is that there isn’t any flex spending for dependents. Last job allowed 5k a year. My kids are now out of daycare so I haven’t cared too much (and maybe there is some other benefit I don’t know about because I haven’t looked hard) Onboarding was hard. My lead told me that it’d be overwhelming and yeah it was. Everyone was patient and supportive but it was still tough. But now feeling like that’s behind me and I’m feeling very comfortable now (takes 4-6 months or so I think)

7 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0

Best Company I've Ever Worked For

Jul 13, 2021 - Technical Sourcer
      Business Outlook

Pros

- It's the only company that's ever truly valued my skillset and actually taken my feedback into consideration. - Unlimited PTO isn't just lip service. I'm going to end up taking ~5 weeks this year and that's not including Holiday's or summer Friday's (we've been given all summer Friday's off...it's great) - Remote first. No plans to return to an office (this can definitely be a Con for some people) - Business is booming. I don't worry about getting laid off. My role continues to grow as the company grows.

Cons

- We probably aren't paying top of market in the US. I can almost certainly get paid more working at a FAANG. I believe we're revising comp right now, but I don't have particularly high expectations. Pay certainly isn't terrible, but there's room for improvement. - Senior leadership can sometimes come across as callous when addressing employee concerns. I get it to some degree (people complaining about work from home still when we've known about it for over a year, for example), but I think they could strike a softer tone sometimes. - There's a handful of people who have been promoted into positions that they simply aren't equipped for anymore. We've scaled quickly and hired a ton of great people in the process. As a result, you sometimes have really strong teams led by really weak Managers. This has definitely contributed to some (not all) of the attrition we're seeing

9 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

sales

Jan 10, 2022 - Sales Representative in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

great culture great salary flex vacation woo

Cons

no office no free lunch chairs aren't free

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great opportunity to learn and advance your career but it’s an intense role with mediocre pay.

Dec 10, 2021 - Merchant Success Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fully remote work, amazing benefits, structured onboarding, and some opportunity to move to other roles in the company. The platform is the industry leader for eCommerce and growing exponentially. Having Shopify on your resume will open doors and provide you instant ecom cred. Lots of opportunity to learn and level up your knowledge base. Depending on your team, region and manager, you could have a lot of autonomy.

Cons

This is an intense role with a lot of ambiguity and a huge scope. Expect to work more than 40 hours a week and constant change, you’re never finished, there’s always more to do. Management spews a lot of rhetoric around wellness and work/life balance but at the end of the day it’s just talk. If you’re not performing , expect to be scrutinized. Most measurements of success in this role are subjective, and as a company Shopify is very much one where who you know matters. Pay is below standard for a company of this size and a role this intense. There are huge discrepancies in pay between employees preforming the same role at the same level, depending on if they were hired externally or internally, when and where. All external communications are recorded and reviewed, so be careful what you say. Recently the role has shifted to be much more “salesy” with product adoption and upselling becoming the top objectives internally. With the recent explosion of growth Shopify is acting more and more like it’s competitors who it tries to differentiate from than as the disrupter and highly ethical company it was a few years ago.

5 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0

The best

Dec 22, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work life balance. Lots of flexibility

Cons

Working with some of the best can be difficult to keep up

7. 3.0

It is ok

Jan 9, 2022 - Senior Data Scientist in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Coworkers are friendly and benefits are not bad

Cons

Company isn't data driven so hard to make impact there

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work if you’re comfortable with change

Sep 11, 2021 - Product Designer
      Business Outlook

Pros

My leads have always been extremely supportive and helpful with my personal and professional growth. My needs have always been considered and I’ve always been put on projects that would help me grow as a designer.

Cons

There is a lot of change—tools, practices, team focus, and even teams themselves. I’ve been on 4 different teams in 3 years which meant new leads as well. It’s always tough to start with a new lead since you have to re-build relationships that would them help with career growth. The team changes have always been valid and logical.. but it still happens. Shopify is not scared to shift priorities or change project focus if there’s clear signals to do so. That’s just something to be okay with if you work here.

3 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0

great company

Dec 14, 2021 - Customer Success Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

good benefit, good pay with reomote only

Cons

remote only and cannot relocate

10. 5.0
      Former Employee

A

Dec 5, 2021 - Sales Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Everything is great online with new tech

Cons

not much interaction with others

1 person found this review helpful
    Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,182 Reviews

Shopify Reviews FAQs

82% of Shopify employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Shopify 4.1 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.3 for culture and values and 4.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Shopify to be career development, benefits, culture and the cons to be workplace, management.

Popular Careers with Shopify Job Seekers