Shopify Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work from home while being treated like a regular employee (in 28 reviews)

• Great people and great work environment (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Creating your healthy work life balance is important (in 6 reviews)

• This includes handling 3 chats on Day One (in 7 reviews)

"Amazing company to work for"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Success Guru in Remote, OR

I worked at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company goes above and beyond for the staff.

Cons

You need to be able to swing high quality customer service for 3 clients at once.

"Not for everyone"

I have been working at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home
    Benefits are given to you right away with MacBook
    Can't think of anything else but need a 20 word minimum

Cons

I'm truly hoping for the newcomers sake my post will make a difference. If you're coming from a corporate environment where it was professional and not military this place may not be for you. Be prepared to WORK! You are pretty much being thrown into the dragons den while being surveyed on how you're battling these dragons and no weapons to fight them off.

FACTS: if you expect more than a 30min break during your 8hr shift let me give you a reality check: no such thing here. Yes you can take off for those 1-5min to refill your tea or coffee or go to bathroom etc but make sure you alert the team! They MUST know your each and every move of disappearance.

I'm glad this is anonymous because I won't be lasting here (staying till I figure out what to do with my 5k expense tab, the 1 pro). I was getting paid less at my other job and I'm already itching to go back. Too many high demands and expectations to meet here. Be aware HR may not inform you during interview you need to be able to handle 3 chats at once. Don't worry, they didn't tell me either. I can understand why, I was shadowing an experienced Guru last week as part of my training and they even said they're exhausted and needed to quit for a few minutes. Yes, an experienced guru... great impression on an already intimidating task for us newbies. Side note: Shopify knows this workmode is not for everyone and they are okay with that so if you leave, bye. They will replace you with a new you and so forth.

Another thing, I am confident all the positive reviews are definitely not coming from Gurus - if so they are the 1% who took computer science or former coding/SEO knowledge and whatnot. All Gurus who come onboard look for more positions ASAP (and unless you have connections in higher departments don't expect to be promoted anytime soon, you're on a waiting list of 100+).

SUMMARY: Most jobs you have to "start from the bottom" well folks, this is as bottom as it gets with some side perks to distract you from realizing it.

Advice to Management

I don't even know where to start. It feels like a summer camp of powertrippers who think they're the boss but actually are not. Relax a bit, calm down on the expectations of gurus they are the bread & butter of the platform who already do SO MUCH. They don't need to further dwell on the fact these summer camp power trippers are monitoring their each and every interaction and move on an already stressful job with only 30min to escape from it. REALITY CHECK!!!

"Trained for 6 weeks and only been given a week to prove self after training"

Former Employee - Guru in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Guru in Remote, OR

I worked at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The trainers, mentors and Guru builders are great/helpful. I had a very good experience with each one of them and training was fun.

- The benefits offered by this company is pretty amazing.

- Probably the most interesting town hall I've ever been to and I think the company's CEO is pretty awesome.

- Most people who works in this company are competitive but very supportive at the same time.

- There are really pretty amazing people in this company who would take the time to help you, to explain to you, to educate you, and to support you no matter how busy they are.

Cons

- The training was quite intense as they try to cover so many things in a short period of time and at the same time you're getting bombarded with new features that you need to familiarize yourself with.

- Managing 3 chats at a time can be overwhelming and stressful especially when you are expected to respond to the merchants every 2-3 minutes while digging/researching, chatting with your team and other support group asking for help - if this isn't met a week after being out of training, it is possible that you can get terminated.

- Working from home may sound like a great idea but with the expectations set (particularly for 3 chats), it can be challenging especially when you can't get a hold of internal support to be able to get back to the merchants immediately.

- Most Squad leads are very understanding, unfortunately mine was not. I was always reminded to up-sell (I've only been out of training for a week). I was only been given feedback for chat interactions, mostly criticizing at how slow I got back to the merchants (there's 3 support channels - email, chats, and phone). I was never given the motivation and support needed to improve - advice to Gurus, the moment you think there is something wrong with your Squad lead, reach out to HR or someone higher to seek advice before it's too late. Advice to the management, please train your Squad lead thoroughly.

Advice to Management

I haven't been with the company long enough to give them advice but based on my short personal experience, I think Gurus should be given me more time to prove themselves because I don't think a week after training is not enough and definitely is not fair.

I think it is not fair too to make a decision based on one squad lead's opinion - personally, if any of my trainer, mentors, and guru builders agreed with her, I wouldn't know because I wasn't told.

"Call Centre Plus"

I have been working at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you want to work at a call centre but with slightly better benefits and slightly less metrics than a "traditional" call centre, this may be for you.

Cons

Dead horses whipped daily to try and do more work.

Advice to Management

A lot of management are former Gurus who have forgotten what being a Guru is like, and made the Guru role harder in order to insulate themselves -- don't forget where you came from.

"Customer Success Guru"

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

I'm really looking forward to the corporate culture

Cons

Haven't seen any yet, so fingers crossed!

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin' on. From what I've seen, you're doing great.

"Toxic work culture starts at the top."

Pros

Benefits and the salary are probably one of the better things about working here. It's challenging no matter were you are and you won't get bored. As poorly as I think of this company, its culture, some of the many bad apples, and my experiences in its totality, it's a good product.

Cons

Support is treated as expendable and yet they make them jump through so many hoops in order to get the job (rightly so). They have a high turnover rate for a reason. There is no job security whatsoever.

If you have any disability (physical or mental), you are expendable. They really play up how they care about the mental health of employees but at the end of the day, it's a business - not a family. They will ask to part ways. It's an industry-wide issue. Unfortunately, Shopify is part of the problem.

If you have any life issues going on that are severely impacting your life circumstances (family death, illness etc.), you are expendable.

Discrimination and racism is rampant and goes unaddressed. The "diversity and inclusion" in this company is like a hemorrhaging wound. They have some really hardworking and talented "model minorities" at the top but literally everything else there makes many minorities feel uncomfortable and shocked at what's openly shared and said.

There's a huge class divide between Support and everyone else in the company. It's apparent in the culture, in the summits, in how the company runs its everyday.

Higher ups can't handle criticism and the CEO is a WHOLE. Other. Story.

You guys sure have a lot of people who have drunk the company kool-aid. It's embarrassing.

Advice to Management

I don't know where to start, frankly. I have never been more disappointed in a company that I was so proud of joining. I actually stopped telling people about my job.

It would have been nice, as a Canadian company, to be an industry leader and be part of the solution for why the tech industry is so completely dominated by white men (with white women trailing behind) and completely inhospitable for minorities. I wish I could give something better here but I feel like it's a lost cause because we've seen how people get treated when they do speak up.

Shopify Response

Mar 27, 2017 – HR Lead

Thank you for taking the time to offer a comment – although I must admit we were concerned to read some of some of the issues you raised.

We believe that everyone at Shopify should feel... More

"Good company"

Pros

Nimble company, good co-workers, and a fun place to work and gain experience.

Cons

Fast-paced work can be hard to handle at times; pay could be higher

"Super place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

Pros

Incredibly smart bunch of people, the huge majority of whom really care about what they're working on. Hiring takes a long time because they are pretty strict on who they want in the door, and I think they've done a good job of not taking too many ego-heavy 'superstars' as the company gets larger. Even c-level team are very approachable and down to earth.

Cons

Things move very fast, better be ready to keep up!

Advice to Management

Thanks for your transparency

"Awesome Culture!!!"

Current Employee - Remote Shopify Guru
    Current Employee - Remote Shopify Guru

I have been working at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tons of work support, super flexible, and a unique fun culture

Cons

A lot to learn and can sometimes seem overwhelming but there is always help available!

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing! Love that the CEO is very much involved with all aspects of the company!

Shopify Response

Mar 30, 2015 – Employer Representative

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. Our Culture and HR teams value your feedback as we strive to improve life at Shopify.

"Great New Grad/Junior Developer Position"

Current Employee - Junior Software Developer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Junior Software Developer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Salary
    -Benefits($5000/year Lifestyle fund, Health, Dental)
    -Free Breakfast/Lunch
    -Tons of Office Perks

Cons

There are none. I do what I love everyday.