Shopify Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work from home while being treated like a regular employee (in 14 reviews)

• Fun, cool work environment that challenges students (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • you need to be very self driven to succeed here (which is a pro for a lot of people) (in 4 reviews)

• The work environment itself is great though (in 6 reviews)

"Customer Success Guru"

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

I'm really looking forward to the corporate culture

Cons

Haven't seen any yet, so fingers crossed!

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin' on. From what I've seen, you're doing great.

2. "Call Centre Plus"

Current Employee - Guru in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Guru in Remote, OR

I have been working at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you want to work at a call centre but with slightly better benefits and slightly less metrics than a "traditional" call centre, this may be for you.

Cons

Dead horses whipped daily to try and do more work.

Advice to Management

A lot of management are former Gurus who have forgotten what being a Guru is like, and made the Guru role harder in order to insulate themselves -- don't forget where you came from.

"Toxic work culture starts at the top."

Pros

Benefits and the salary are probably one of the better things about working here. It's challenging no matter were you are and you won't get bored. As poorly as I think of this company, its culture, some of the many bad apples, and my experiences in its totality, it's a good product.

Cons

Support is treated as expendable and yet they make them jump through so many hoops in order to get the job (rightly so). They have a high turnover rate for a reason. There is no job security whatsoever.

If you have any disability (physical or mental), you are expendable. They really play up how they care about the mental health of employees but at the end of the day, it's a business - not a family. They will ask to part ways. It's an industry-wide issue. Unfortunately, Shopify is part of the problem.

If you have any life issues going on that are severely impacting your life circumstances (family death, illness etc.), you are expendable.

Discrimination and racism is rampant and goes unaddressed. The "diversity and inclusion" in this company is like a hemorrhaging wound. They have some really hardworking and talented "model minorities" at the top but literally everything else there makes many minorities feel uncomfortable and shocked at what's openly shared and said.

There's a huge class divide between Support and everyone else in the company. It's apparent in the culture, in the summits, in how the company runs its everyday.

Higher ups can't handle criticism and the CEO is a WHOLE. Other. Story.

You guys sure have a lot of people who have drunk the company kool-aid. It's embarrassing.

Advice to Management

I don't know where to start, frankly. I have never been more disappointed in a company that I was so proud of joining. I actually stopped telling people about my job.

It would have been nice, as a Canadian company, to be an industry leader and be part of the solution for why the tech industry is so completely dominated by white men (with white women trailing behind) and completely inhospitable for minorities. I wish I could give something better here but I feel like it's a lost cause because we've seen how people get treated when they do speak up.

Shopify Response

Mar 27, 2017 – HR Lead

Thank you for taking the time to offer a comment – although I must admit we were concerned to read some of some of the issues you raised.

We believe that everyone at Shopify should feel... More

"Good company"

Pros

Nimble company, good co-workers, and a fun place to work and gain experience.

Cons

Fast-paced work can be hard to handle at times; pay could be higher

"Super place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

Pros

Incredibly smart bunch of people, the huge majority of whom really care about what they're working on. Hiring takes a long time because they are pretty strict on who they want in the door, and I think they've done a good job of not taking too many ego-heavy 'superstars' as the company gets larger. Even c-level team are very approachable and down to earth.

Cons

Things move very fast, better be ready to keep up!

Advice to Management

Thanks for your transparency

"Awesome Culture!!!"

Current Employee - Remote Shopify Guru
    Current Employee - Remote Shopify Guru

I have been working at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tons of work support, super flexible, and a unique fun culture

Cons

A lot to learn and can sometimes seem overwhelming but there is always help available!

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing! Love that the CEO is very much involved with all aspects of the company!

Shopify Response

Mar 30, 2015 – Employer Representative

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. Our Culture and HR teams value your feedback as we strive to improve life at Shopify.

7. "Best place to work in the region"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked at many places, comfortably the best work, benefits, pay I've seen especially when you consider the stock options

Cons

Lots of hipsters
    Kids who think their workplace should reflect who they are and treat them like the special snowflake E they are.

8. "Fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Product Design Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Product Design Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been at Shopify for a month now, and in my 20 year career it is by far the best place I've worked at. The people are supportive, trusting, brilliant and moreover extremely kind. It's a rare place. Toby is doing a great job keeping the culture of a startup with the backing of an extremely successful company. Well done Shopify!

Cons

None I can see. It's really a fantastic place to work. I'm very happy. Keep it up! Seriously, great place.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!!!

9. "A More Perks Call Center"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Shopify full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pros would definitely be working from home, benefits after 3 months (previously on contract when I started no new gurus had benefits here so it was a big deal), house cleaning, some good coworkers.

Cons

Most management came from being Gurus and mainly forgot how difficult it is to do the role and then Shopify adds monthly more and more requirements to the role and complexity without increasing the salary. When I started years ago in the Guru role it was a lot more relaxed and I did love to work here (it wasn't a whole negative 2.5 years!) But Ieft due not even being able to log off a channel to use the bathroom without someone pinging me asking me where I am and why I'm not helping people if I'm gone longer then 2 mins. I dont need to be micromanaged to the bone.

All of my friends who still work here have the same issues. Expectations that are sky high and the micromanagement runs wild. People in other positions love their jobs because this only happens to the Gurus. You're also not promoted with seniority if someone else happens to be "a better fit for the culture" when you have much more experience in the role.

I've watched people who have had disagreements with how they're treated or what is being done being wrote up or fired. They tried to solve it by going to someone else to have them intervene and in retaliation the squad lead got them fired.

I'm not here to be angry or bitter. I left months ago because of all this but I am here to be honest and let people know what they're getting into and what the role is like from someone who did it for years instead of being in another position saying sunshine and roses when they have no idea what's entailed.

Yes the perks are really good - totally - but if you cant stand being micromanaged or find yourself to be opinionated in any way don't take this job. It isn't for you.

Advice to Management

Treat your Gurus better. They are the ones who are keeping the customers happy and using the platform so they're keeping most of the money rolling in paying for the other jobs. Stop micromanaging people so they can barely breathe and treat them like the other staff. If you believe in your other staff why have so little faith in them? You're causing a great divide and a lot of anger in senior Gurus who know the role. When you keep increasing the workload and expectations raise the salary with it. You're expecting them to do 20 jobs and paying them for about 5. This isn't new I was there long enough to know and brought it up multiple times myself. Please take my review into consideration and if needed take some senior gurus and give them anonymous surveys and you will see that I'm not alone this is a running theme.

10. "I feel grateful to Shopify"

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing place to work. Shopify has invested in me since day 1. I learned an incredible amount of skills as a guru, I was able to assist thousands of people change their lives everyday. Shopify invested in me as an employee and helped me grow and learn new skills. I feel grateful to the company and couldn't imagine being treated better at a workplace.

Cons

Not everything is perfect.......but the people trying to fix the problems REALLY care about what they do.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture alive. Don't start making decisions for the wrong reasons. Remember to think with your brain AND your heart.