Shopify Reviews

Updated Jan 22, 2021

4.2
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke
Pros
  • "You work from home which is best decision I ever made as well as helping the planet(in 64 reviews)

• "Get to work from home, great benefits(in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • "The experiences that gurus have seems to be very different from that of RnD/ other disciplines(in 28 reviews)

• "Higher ups preach "work/life harmony" (work/life balance) but you'll get side eye if you try to leave the office before 5 on a Friday(in 18 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review

"This is the most forward thinking company on planet earth. And I'm thrilled to be part of the ride."

Current Employee - Marketing in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was hired into the company exactly one month after graduating college. Shopify was the only company I applied to after graduation, as I refused to try my hand anywhere else until I got my firm "no" from their recruiters. They were ranked as the best company in Canada of 2017, and I had really high hopes for myself. For whatever reason, I made it through the Google-esque hiring process, which felt more like a chat with an old friend than an interview at an A1 tech company. I started out as a support guru, and slowly worked my way up the support ranks over the next two years. The Guru role is very much of that of a fancy call center, with levels of business coaching peppered in. It's a tough job, but it's compensated extremely fairly for the work. I'm one of those people who "made it" from support to an internal role of the company, and it was a hell of a journey. Support took a toll on me, and I was eager to show the company how much more I was capable of. It took a couple years, but I like to think they recognize hard workers when they see one. I now work internally, and can honestly say this job was worth the two-year wait. Our benefits are incredible, or pay is competitive, and the company's vision is something I can truly get behind. I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.

Cons

A few years ago, it would be common to work your way up from a support guru to anywhere within the organization. As the company has grown exponentially, increased competition has made internal movement exponentially more difficult- but absolutely not impossible. If you're willing to put in the work, the time, and the passion here, you will get recognized. You just have to work harder and smarter than everyone around you. If you identify a need internally that you are uniquely suited to fill, it's not unheard of to create your own job. In fact, I'd say it's encouraged.

September 30, 2020Social Care

Hi, thanks so much for being so open here. It sounds like we’re a perfect match; you had your heart set on working here and it looks like we were pretty impressed with you too! During the hiring process, our Life Story sessions are designed to be just that - a chat about your life. If it was the Support Advisor role you initially interviewed for, the Life Story is an important part; you’ll be having genuine interactions with merchants on a daily basis, so it’s good to get a feel of how your personality comes through! It’s also a great chance for you to see how you like our team and ask us any questions you like. The Support Advisor role is not intended to be a ‘stepping stone’ to other roles within the company. The knowledge and experience you will get in this role are invaluable, and essential to helping our merchants in the long term. That being said, if you do want to build your career in a different part of Shopify, the Support Advisor role is a great place to start! The skills you learn there will be transferable no matter where you go within Shopify. When hiring for a position, candidates showing initiative and creative thinking is always a plus; essentially, someone who took something and made it better. While hard work is definitely rewarded, you will never be expected to work longer hours than your schedule or bring extra stress to yourself. We take mental health very seriously, and would not encourage anyone to push themselves beyond their limits in order to apply for a different position. We’ve also added Career Pathing to your resources in the internal support pages (Vault) so that it is now easier to focus a role you love and the process of transition into it is much more transparent. I’m so glad you find your current role so rewarding, Thank you again for the review!

2. "Great company, get on board"

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

Great opportunity for professional growth. Leadership is fully committed to vision. Awesome benefits.

Cons

Work hours can be long. Some weekends mixed in.

"Great place to work and level up"

Current Employee - Community Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

Excellent Benefits Free Healthcare Internal Movement is encouraged

Cons

Salary not equitable to work Very green HR department

January 11, 2021Social Care

Hey! Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. Our benefits and healthcare options are something we're proud of; especially as we've become Digital by Default! Now that we're mostly working from home, you can take advantage of the benefits/expense options to make your home office as productive as possible. In regards to internal movement, our Talent team created a huge amount of transparency around how to progress from within. The Career Pathing Guide will show you where you currently are, where you’d like to go, and how you can get there! To ensure that we are competitive by design, the Compensation team completes an annual external market analysis that helps guide Shopify's salary decisions. However, I'd encourage speaking with your Team Lead or HR Partner if you'd like to discuss your current compensation! They would be happy to chat. Thank you again for the review!

4. "Overview"

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

Opportunities to grow Helpful Teammates Great benefits

Cons

There are no cons in my opinion.

December 22, 2020Social Care

Hello, there! Thank you for sharing your experience. It’s wonderful to hear that you’ve had a positive experience working at Shopify. Growth and development have been a focus at Shopify for the past year, so it’s great that you’ve found ample opportunities to grow while you work. Having an amazing and helpful team can really improve your work environment - we love how many fantastic and talented employees we have at Shopify! Again, thank you for sharing your feedback.

5. "e"

Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Shopify part-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome culture within the company

Cons

Nothing really bad to say

December 2, 2020Social Care

Hello, there! Thank you for sharing your experience! We’re so happy to hear that you’ve enjoyed your time with Shopify. The employee environment and culture is very important to Shopify and we hope that it allows employees to thrive and to have a positive experience at work. Again, thank you for taking time to share your feedback.

6. "Awesome Place!"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

You work with brilliant minds!

Cons

Benefits are not too good

7. COVID-19

"Great place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent people that are passionate about what they do, tons of opportunities to learn and collaborate outside your team, lots of freedom/autonomy

Cons

I miss the free lunches but that’s not Shopify’s fault, it’s an impact of COVID. Really don’t have any complaints, great place to work

October 13, 2020Social Care

Hello, there! Thank you for taking time out of your day to write a review for Shopify. We are so happy that you have had a good experience so far. It sounds like we’re glad to have you as an employee. Our offices will definitely be missed by many, myself included! We will be keeping them closed until 2021 so that we have time to make adjustments to be digital by default. Going digital by default also means that we can work and hire from (almost) anywhere around the globe!
 Again, thank you for you for your kind words!

8. "Finance, Marketing, Accountant, Partnerships, E-commerce Director"

Current Employee - ECommerce Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Sales, Products, Website, Advertising, Payments

Cons

Apps, Workers, Updates, Creation, Support

December 1, 2020Social Care

Hi, there! Thank you for sharing your feedback. It sounds like you have a great appreciate for the Shopify platform. That is great to hear! Don't hesitate to reach back out if you have any further feedback - we're happy to listen and note any feedback so that we can help improve our employee environment for the better.

9. "great company"

Current Employee - Partner Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

would highly recommend to anyone

Cons

remote working can make you feel disconnected

October 13, 2020Social Care

Hi, there! Thank you for taking time to submit a review. We're so glad that you're enjoying your time working at Shopify! Working remotely can have its challenges for sure. It's important to contact your lead if you're ever feeling isolated. I can say that meeting up with your teammates digitally, having valuable 1:1s and utilizing the Sidekick program can definitely help with feelings of isolation.

"Amazing place to work"

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic culture, product, colleagues and work/life balance. Amazing developer tooling. Fast paced and exciting place to work. Almost no politics, laid back atmosphere, lots of learning opportunities.

Cons

The food in the San Francisco office isn’t as good as other offices. Other than that I can’t really think of any.

August 15, 2020Social Care

Thanks for leaving such a kind review! It's really heartwarming to hear how much you enjoy your time here. Our aim is to build a company where everyone has the potential to have a positive impact on our business, from our products to our technology to our people. Thank you for being a part of that! Grabbing those learning opportunities you find and using them to grow is so important; being a constant learner is something Shopify values greatly. Which I'm sure is something you know well at this stage, 3 years is a long time! Thanks again for taking the time to leave a review, here's to many more years with us.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 669 English Reviews