Shopify Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work from home while being treated like a regular employee" (in 37 reviews)

• "Great benefits and hardware is provided to you" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "Creating your healthy work life balance is important" (in 10 reviews)

• "you need to be very self driven to succeed here (which is a pro for a lot of people)" (in 6 reviews)

"Amazing company to work for"

I worked at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company goes above and beyond for the staff.

Cons

You need to be able to swing high quality customer service for 3 clients at once.

2. "Expectations do not meet salary"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru in Remote, OR

I worked at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

working for shopify lol
    great perks 5k spending account
    laptops and monitor

Cons

workload, doing 3 chats at once for 4 hours in a day with 30 min lunch and then the rest of the day back to back phones

Advice to Management

business coaching should be a separate job in itself, you're having people with no experience in marketing and business coaching, giving advice to business owners...its really no wonder so many gurus are on stress leave

"Great company and benefits, but very mentally tiring and draining"

Former Employee - Guru
    Former Employee - Guru

I worked at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Work remotely (don't have to travel)
    - Get great benefits
    - Get all equipment needed including laptop and monitor sent to you
    - Working for a growing and high potential company

Cons

- Working remotely (don't get to meet people in person, can get lonely)
    - Still a 9-5 job but at home, with 30-minute lunch. Pretty strict on that.
    - Need to be glued to your computer for 8 hours straight.
    - Stressfull, they require you to hold 3 chats at the same time and more.

"Trained for 6 weeks and only been given a week to prove self after training"

Former Employee - Guru in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Guru in Remote, OR

I worked at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The trainers, mentors and Guru builders are great/helpful. I had a very good experience with each one of them and training was fun.

- The benefits offered by this company is pretty amazing.

- Probably the most interesting town hall I've ever been to and I think the company's CEO is pretty awesome.

- Most people who works in this company are competitive but very supportive at the same time.

- There are really pretty amazing people in this company who would take the time to help you, to explain to you, to educate you, and to support you no matter how busy they are.

Cons

- The training was quite intense as they try to cover so many things in a short period of time and at the same time you're getting bombarded with new features that you need to familiarize yourself with.

- Managing 3 chats at a time can be overwhelming and stressful especially when you are expected to respond to the merchants every 2-3 minutes while digging/researching, chatting with your team and other support group asking for help - if this isn't met a week after being out of training, it is possible that you can get terminated.

- Working from home may sound like a great idea but with the expectations set (particularly for 3 chats), it can be challenging especially when you can't get a hold of internal support to be able to get back to the merchants immediately.

- Most Squad leads are very understanding, unfortunately mine was not. I was always reminded to up-sell (I've only been out of training for a week). I was only been given feedback for chat interactions, mostly criticizing at how slow I got back to the merchants (there's 3 support channels - email, chats, and phone). I was never given the motivation and support needed to improve - advice to Gurus, the moment you think there is something wrong with your Squad lead, reach out to HR or someone higher to seek advice before it's too late. Advice to the management, please train your Squad lead thoroughly.

Advice to Management

I haven't been with the company long enough to give them advice but based on my short personal experience, I think Gurus should be given me more time to prove themselves because I don't think a week after training is not enough and definitely is not fair.

I think it is not fair too to make a decision based on one squad lead's opinion - personally, if any of my trainer, mentors, and guru builders agreed with her, I wouldn't know because I wasn't told.

"Call Centre Plus"

Current Employee - Guru in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Guru in Remote, OR

I have been working at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you want to work at a call centre but with slightly better benefits and slightly less metrics than a "traditional" call centre, this may be for you.

Cons

Dead horses whipped daily to try and do more work.

Advice to Management

A lot of management are former Gurus who have forgotten what being a Guru is like, and made the Guru role harder in order to insulate themselves -- don't forget where you came from.

"Customer Success Guru"

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

I'm really looking forward to the corporate culture

Cons

Haven't seen any yet, so fingers crossed!

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin' on. From what I've seen, you're doing great.

"Toxic work culture starts at the top."

Pros

Benefits and the salary are probably one of the better things about working here. It's challenging no matter were you are and you won't get bored. As poorly as I think of this company, its culture, some of the many bad apples, and my experiences in its totality, it's a good product.

Cons

Support is treated as expendable and yet they make them jump through so many hoops in order to get the job (rightly so). They have a high turnover rate for a reason. There is no job security whatsoever.

If you have any disability (physical or mental), you are expendable. They really play up how they care about the mental health of employees but at the end of the day, it's a business - not a family. They will ask to part ways. It's an industry-wide issue. Unfortunately, Shopify is part of the problem.

If you have any life issues going on that are severely impacting your life circumstances (family death, illness etc.), you are expendable.

Discrimination and racism is rampant and goes unaddressed. The "diversity and inclusion" in this company is like a hemorrhaging wound. They have some really hardworking and talented "model minorities" at the top but literally everything else there makes many minorities feel uncomfortable and shocked at what's openly shared and said.

There's a huge class divide between Support and everyone else in the company. It's apparent in the culture, in the summits, in how the company runs its everyday.

Higher ups can't handle criticism and the CEO is a WHOLE. Other. Story.

You guys sure have a lot of people who have drunk the company kool-aid. It's embarrassing.

Advice to Management

I don't know where to start, frankly. I have never been more disappointed in a company that I was so proud of joining. I actually stopped telling people about my job.

It would have been nice, as a Canadian company, to be an industry leader and be part of the solution for why the tech industry is so completely dominated by white men (with white women trailing behind) and completely inhospitable for minorities. I wish I could give something better here but I feel like it's a lost cause because we've seen how people get treated when they do speak up.

Shopify Response

Mar 27, 2017 – HR Lead

Thank you for taking the time to offer a comment – although I must admit we were concerned to read some of some of the issues you raised.

We believe that everyone at Shopify should feel... More

"Good company"

Pros

Nimble company, good co-workers, and a fun place to work and gain experience.

Cons

Fast-paced work can be hard to handle at times; pay could be higher

"Super place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

Pros

Incredibly smart bunch of people, the huge majority of whom really care about what they're working on. Hiring takes a long time because they are pretty strict on who they want in the door, and I think they've done a good job of not taking too many ego-heavy 'superstars' as the company gets larger. Even c-level team are very approachable and down to earth.

Cons

Things move very fast, better be ready to keep up!

Advice to Management

Thanks for your transparency

"Awesome Culture!!!"

Current Employee - Remote Shopify Guru
    Current Employee - Remote Shopify Guru

I have been working at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tons of work support, super flexible, and a unique fun culture

Cons

A lot to learn and can sometimes seem overwhelming but there is always help available!

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing! Love that the CEO is very much involved with all aspects of the company!

Shopify Response

Mar 30, 2015 – Employer Representative

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. Our Culture and HR teams value your feedback as we strive to improve life at Shopify.