Shopify Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work from home while being treated like a regular employee (in 14 reviews)

• Fun, cool work environment that challenges students (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • you need to be very self driven to succeed here (which is a pro for a lot of people) (in 4 reviews)

• The work environment itself is great though (in 6 reviews)

"Customer Success Guru"

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

I'm really looking forward to the corporate culture

Cons

Haven't seen any yet, so fingers crossed!

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin' on. From what I've seen, you're doing great.

2. "Call Centre Plus"

Current Employee - Guru in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Guru in Remote, OR

I have been working at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you want to work at a call centre but with slightly better benefits and slightly less metrics than a "traditional" call centre, this may be for you.

Cons

Dead horses whipped daily to try and do more work.

Advice to Management

A lot of management are former Gurus who have forgotten what being a Guru is like, and made the Guru role harder in order to insulate themselves -- don't forget where you came from.

"Toxic work culture starts at the top."

Pros

Benefits and the salary are probably one of the better things about working here. It's challenging no matter were you are and you won't get bored. As poorly as I think of this company, its culture, some of the many bad apples, and my experiences in its totality, it's a good product.

Cons

Support is treated as expendable and yet they make them jump through so many hoops in order to get the job (rightly so). They have a high turnover rate for a reason. There is no job security whatsoever.

If you have any disability (physical or mental), you are expendable. They really play up how they care about the mental health of employees but at the end of the day, it's a business - not a family. They will ask to part ways. It's an industry-wide issue. Unfortunately, Shopify is part of the problem.

If you have any life issues going on that are severely impacting your life circumstances (family death, illness etc.), you are expendable.

Discrimination and racism is rampant and goes unaddressed. The "diversity and inclusion" in this company is like a hemorrhaging wound. They have some really hardworking and talented "model minorities" at the top but literally everything else there makes many minorities feel uncomfortable and shocked at what's openly shared and said.

There's a huge class divide between Support and everyone else in the company. It's apparent in the culture, in the summits, in how the company runs its everyday.

Higher ups can't handle criticism and the CEO is a WHOLE. Other. Story.

You guys sure have a lot of people who have drunk the company kool-aid. It's embarrassing.

Advice to Management

I don't know where to start, frankly. I have never been more disappointed in a company that I was so proud of joining. I actually stopped telling people about my job.

It would have been nice, as a Canadian company, to be an industry leader and be part of the solution for why the tech industry is so completely dominated by white men (with white women trailing behind) and completely inhospitable for minorities. I wish I could give something better here but I feel like it's a lost cause because we've seen how people get treated when they do speak up.

Shopify Response

Mar 27, 2017 – HR Lead

Thank you for taking the time to offer a comment – although I must admit we were concerned to read some of some of the issues you raised.

We believe that everyone at Shopify should feel... More

"Good company"

Pros

Nimble company, good co-workers, and a fun place to work and gain experience.

Cons

Fast-paced work can be hard to handle at times; pay could be higher

"Super place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

Pros

Incredibly smart bunch of people, the huge majority of whom really care about what they're working on. Hiring takes a long time because they are pretty strict on who they want in the door, and I think they've done a good job of not taking too many ego-heavy 'superstars' as the company gets larger. Even c-level team are very approachable and down to earth.

Cons

Things move very fast, better be ready to keep up!

Advice to Management

Thanks for your transparency

"Awesome Culture!!!"

Current Employee - Remote Shopify Guru
    Current Employee - Remote Shopify Guru

I have been working at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tons of work support, super flexible, and a unique fun culture

Cons

A lot to learn and can sometimes seem overwhelming but there is always help available!

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing! Love that the CEO is very much involved with all aspects of the company!

Shopify Response

Mar 30, 2015 – Employer Representative

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. Our Culture and HR teams value your feedback as we strive to improve life at Shopify.

7. "Great employer"

I worked at Shopify full-time

Pros

Great benefits for employee such as 4 weeks holidays at a minimum, they are very flexible as an employer and care about their employee well being, you can work from home, they have great maternity and paternity leave, and this is only the basics of your benefits, there is also a lot of great perks, such as sportify, houskeeping allowance, etc..

Cons

I dont see any inconvenient

8. "Positive experience as a developer at Waterloo office"

Former Employee - Developer Intern in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Developer Intern in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

Friendly and smart group of people.

Cons

There were not many cons.

9. "Best place to work in the region"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked at many places, comfortably the best work, benefits, pay I've seen especially when you consider the stock options

Cons

Lots of hipsters
    Kids who think their workplace should reflect who they are and treat them like the special snowflake E they are.

10. "Fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Product Design Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Product Design Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been at Shopify for a month now, and in my 20 year career it is by far the best place I've worked at. The people are supportive, trusting, brilliant and moreover extremely kind. It's a rare place. Toby is doing a great job keeping the culture of a startup with the backing of an extremely successful company. Well done Shopify!

Cons

None I can see. It's really a fantastic place to work. I'm very happy. Keep it up! Seriously, great place.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!!!