Signal Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Senior Software Engineer Java Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Signal (Chicago, IL) in December 2017.

Interview

There were 3 interviews. 1 Screening call, 1 Phone call where I did programming problems, 1 in person interview, Took 4 hours, Lunch with CTO and VP. Then 1 hour of how I would be as a SR engineer. Then 2 hours of programming questions.

Interview Questions

• Program a Hashmap. Code has to be in JAVA and compile.   Answer Question
    • Architect a web system that can support lots of through put.   Answer Question

Jan 19, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks for taking the time to share that you had a positive interview experience at Signal!

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Signal (Chicago, IL) in June 2018.

Interview

I went through two phone interviews, 1 on site, and then a phone interview with their VP of Infrastructure. All of the interviews seemed to go really well, I had good conversations with all of the engineers I sat down with during the on site. The feedback I got from their corporate recruiter was that everyone 'loved talking to me' and he had even said in person that they're probably going to extend me an offer. Weeks went by without any communication and then an abrupt rejection citing 'change of direction'. The recruiter was apologetic and stated that this huge waste of time and bad communication wasn't something they often do, but according to Glassdoor that's pretty much exactly what they engage in and they do it quite often. They probably helped me dodge a bullet though because they seemed extremely disorganized and chaotic, and I heard multiple statements that indicated that their VP of infrastructure was the source of this chaos.

Interview Questions

• Random questions about past experiences and exposures to specific tech.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Signal (Chicago, IL) in May 2012.

Interview

The day started out with me hanging out in a restaurant near by until it was time to head in. When I did, I meet with Lisa and we spoke and spoke about a number of things. This was longest session of the day. From there, I briefly meet with heads of sales and support.

Software Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Signal (Chicago, IL).

Interview

1) technical interview,
    2) then lunch with Sr. Managers then,
    3) onsite interview for 3-4 hours.

The final interview is meeting the Sr. level in the team, they will ask a variety of questions.

Interview Questions

• 1) Coding test (1 st round)
      2) Onsite: are combination of things,
      a) whiteboard coding
      b) web architecture, increasing complexity when data is added.   1 Answer

Software Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Signal (Chicago, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

After contact by an internal recruiter (who was very friendly), the first interview was going to their office. Well, not to their office actually. Rather than meet in a controlled environment -- i.e., their office -- we met in a donut shop downstairs. This is a place that apparently plays music somewhat loudly and, of course, can have numerous conversations going on. Not exactly conducive to an interview. I wasn't initially told who I would be meeting until I asked.

So I immediately had the impression of a company who either didn't plan ahead for possibilities or was simply a little cavalier about the candidate experience.

That said, I took it in stride and, to be sure, I was asked a lot of good and relevant high-level questions by the interviewer. Also, I was given a great deal of context about the role and the team. So I was appreciative of that. We had to stop the interview because the shop was closing. We ended up standing outside the shop to finish out that part of the interview. Again, not the best of experiences -- but go with the flow, right?

Initially, I heard nothing back so I followed up and was set up for a phone screen.

The phone screen was conducted by extremely personable members of the team; very engaging, very fun to talk with. I have no complaints about them whatsoever. However, the challenge was about finding the sum of two numbers in an array based on a passed in target number. Absolutely NOTHING whatsoever to do with about 99% of what this kind of role does, which is utilize automation with a focus on good testing. That is something I'm good at. I have numerous examples on my GitHub to prove it. One of the interviewers even noted that.

But rather than challenge and/or question me on the most direct, relevant aspects of the job, we focused on an irrelevant algorithm that I would never use on the job. Complete and total waste of time, from my perspective. (Theirs and mine.) To be fair, I didn't do so great on the algorithm. But after the call, I figured out two implementations in Java and Ruby and sent them to the team.

I ended by following up with the recruiter that I no longer had interest in the role given that clearly I was interviewed for two different roles (whether that was the plan or not) and was never engaged substantively on my skills as a tester and as an automation coder.

While the interview process is a chance for the company to learn about the candidate, the reverse is also true. And what I saw -- at least for a role focused on quality assurance and testing -- is that Signal has to learn a bit more about how to actually hire for this kind of role.

Interview Questions

• During the phone screen, it was entirely an algorithm challenge. Basically: "Can you write this algorithm so it will work?"   1 Answer
    • During the initial meet-and-greet interview, I was asked a lot of questions about test environments, types of testing, dealing with bugs, automation tools, etc.   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Signal (Chicago, IL) in January 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by the vice president of talent. I met her at their office for a preliminary interview. After our meeting, I had a phone interview with a technical manager. I went back to their office again to interview for 3.5 hours.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a bunch of SQL and ER diagram questions. I was given an exercises in JAVA and Python. I was asked to diagram how I would solve a problem that they are currently having.   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Signal.

Interview

I had a phone screen with HR recruiter. After several follow up emails, the recruiter never got back to me with one single update or feedback. Very unprofessional experience.

Jun 6, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for providing this feedback. While we recruiters aim to follow up with all candidates we engage, sometimes our bandwidth is stretched thin. We apologize your experience was not entirely... More

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Signal.

Interview

I applied and was contacted the next business day by the recruiter, who was a very nice and open person.

We arranged, curiously, to meet at a donut shop on the first food of their office building as opposed to, you know, their office space.

We met the next week and the donut shop was so incredibly loud that we had to continue talking in the building lobby.

I was nonetheless excited for the second round of interviews as the role seemed to be a great fit for what I wanted to do next.

We had the next round over Skype and only one person was on the call. The discussion touched on actual product very briefly, and was mostly about a culture fit. I figured that I would have the chance to discuss product with the person who couldn't make the call at a later date, but that never happened.

I was told I did not have the necessary industry experience to handle the role, which if that is the reason for not moving forward, should have been obvious when I initially applied. Would have been great to not take off half a day of work to park downtown at their office and also spend two full weekends researching their product if they didn't want to hire from a different industry!

Glassdoor reviews are trending badly for Signal and I wonder if there isn't some reason they don't want interview candidates to see their offices...

Interview Questions

Signal Response

Nov 3, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

We always appreciate the constructive feedback provided here. We’re constantly evaluating the application and interview process to build a more mutually rewarding, insightful experience.

Signal... More

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Signal (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Very laid back, but direct to the questions & specifications that they were looking for in a PM. Meet with various members from the Product organization; all very professional.
    Product Analysts were very passionate and excited, Product 'Director' seemed unenthusiastic or non-knowledgable about process or expectations for the position.

Interview Questions

• Majority of questions focused on experience related to cultural fit and thought process for addressing various situations.   Answer Question

Jan 8, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share that you had a positive interview experience at Signal!

Senior DevOps Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Signal (Chicago, IL) in June 2017.

Interview

I talked to a corporate recruiter, who was cool. I then met with someone who was holding a leadership billet due to some officer leaving. I then met with the CTO and a senior developer, which went well. The third round was with a combination of developers/devops/product people. The third round consisted of an hour with someone from product and someone from dev, the person from dev was strangely aggressive and borderline angry? It might have just been RBF. The second portion consisted of a whiteboard (a memory test), the last portion with the ops team. It was a fairly unorganized process, I got the feeling that they were really unorganized.