Signal Reviews | Glassdoor

Signal Reviews

Updated Mar 4, 2020

2.7
Signal CEO Lisa Weinstein (no image)
Lisa Weinstein

"Great company to work for. Hope it stays that way."

I worked at Signal full-time

Pros

By far the biggest strength is the people. Signal is a tight-knit group of people, and regardless of your age or interests it is easy to fit in and make friends immediately. There are a ton of happy hours, team outings, and events that make it a very enjoyable place to work. Many people who have left Signal keep in touch and drop in to game nights or happy hours. Overall, I think the company is very well run. I can really only speak for the tech department, but there are a ton of incredibly smart people who know how to build good software and Signal puts a lot of thought into how they build their products. It’s a great place to learn and grow regardless of your experience. For the most part I think the work is challenging and rewarding. The work-life balance is very reasonable too. In addition to the unlimited PTO, the company is very lenient to working from home, remotely, and respectful of people’s time. The people who come into the office every day do so because they genuinely enjoy interacting with their co-workers. The office is also very nice - lots of free snacks, beer fridge, games, and so forth, which I guess is pretty typical for a tech company nowadays.

Cons

Obviously the recent rounds of layoffs are concerning, and one has to question how well the company is doing based on this. Many smart people, including the original CTO, have left the company (many still remain, though). Signal started offshoring a ton of their work, which has dampened the tight-knight culture and engineering quality. I also don’t think the product area Signal is in is very exciting. An alarmingly large percentage of employees don’t REALLY know what the company does or how it does it. Most of the people there enjoy the work because of the engineering standards and challenging nature of the work — I don’t think many people think the work is super impactful, though. Some people really abuse the unlimited PTO and flexible WFH policies, and I don’t think Signal really rewarded those who were more productive than others. The pay scales and promotion rubrics are unclear. Your starting salary is the biggest indicator of your future pay, not performance.

Signal2019-01-24
  2. "Making good progress"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Signal full-time for less than a year

Pros

Current organization contains self-starters and capable individuals who wear many hats. Leadership has been working hard to redefine our vision and focus. More importantly, messaging now aligns with our capabilities. Platform is more stable than before. Enjoyable to work at overall.

Cons

Organization was custom solution-heavy to make up for the platform. Workarounds were needed but became costly to maintain without a transition to standardization. Some long standing processes were over-engineered and only simplified recently.

Signal2020-03-04

"Small company trying to turn itself around"

Former Employee - Solutions Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Signal full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Fun place to work - New CEO and leadership team are making improvements

Cons

- Has seen it's share of challenges - Some people are burnt out by years of bad management - No clear path forward

Signal2020-02-21

"Lipstick on a Pig"

I worked at Signal full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Snacks, games and all that pretend look of a Tech company -decent middle layer

Cons

-Visionless but always pretending to have vision -Very white (with a sinister undertone) -Not a sexy product -Hopelessness galore -No ownership

Signal2020-01-15
  5. "A ten year old company re-adopting a startup culture"

Current Employee - Director of Operations

I have been working at Signal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Signal is a rollercoaster, which admittedly is not for everyone. We have the typical startup challenges, which are big, however we work through these together as a team and all are given the latitude to solve these challenges creatively. I have never worked at a more transparent company. After years of operating as an established player, market and leadership changes have shifted Signal to act like a startup. In recent history, this created a rocky path, however it feels like we have now reached the other side and can move forward as a team. The great part now is that we have the financial, technical and client base of an established company, with the culture and opportunities of a startup.

Cons

Many poor choices made years ago are making us make difficult decisions. We are paying for past mistakes.

Signal2019-12-18
  6. "New company direction = Opportunities"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Signal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Although the last few months have been a difficult time, leadership has now defined the current direction and we are moving forward. There are lots of opportunities for growth and they are committed to keeping the people centered culture that has made this a great place to work. Very collaborative environment where people work hard, then go home to their lives.

Cons

A little short staffed but hiring process is happening. Management is working to rebuild trust.

Signal2019-11-21

"A sinking ship with no captain"

I worked at Signal full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There's a legacy technology stack full of interesting technology, well-written code and plenty of opportunities to improve, expand upon or replace it.

Cons

There is no clear vision to utilize any of the existing assets or a plan to create new value for the company. Engineers are treated solely as resources used to pursue a vision that is poorly communicated because it does not exist. For too many years the company ceded all leadership to a failing product organization. This organization was in way too deep to know how to right the ship or how to seek help in doing so. Signal had the highest caliber engineering organization I have ever seen and all of the talent and promise was squandered slowly over time. Rather than continuing to build that culture internally, they have decided to contract anything out they think of and ride the last investor funds till the end comes.

Signal2019-10-28

"False Claims of Transparency"

I have been working at Signal full-time

Pros

Snack wall. Nice office location, for now. Generous vacation policy

Cons

New CEO claims to be transparent, but sits in closed office and only listens to two to three trusted advisors. Used to be a place with lively ideas and best & brightest in every department. Now, “trusted advisors” holds power & sway, but lack the humility and maturity to listen to experts around them. What was once a great, growing company is now a sinking ship. Run in the opposite direction!

Signal2019-10-16

"Flatlining Company, Avoid at all Costs"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Signal full-time

Pros

Nice office, great perks, great people.

Cons

The company has few happy clients. Two rounds of layoffs in one year and most people are looking to get out before another. Product is stale. Vision for the future is murky. The new "fixer" CEO has few solid ideas and the walls keep crumbling around her. There might not be anything left before a direction is taken.

Signal2019-09-03

"Don't pay earned commissions, poor comp plan, weak leadership"

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Signal full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Identity management is a concept that is picking up a lot of steam, the market opportunity to sell is great 2. The product has a good conceptual foundation and head start on others in the market in terms of functionality

Cons

1. Very poor leadership aside from 1 or 2 executives. There was no accountability the whole time I was there. Couple of examples: 1)They would continually have to re-adjust strategic plans and goals because they could not navigate the business to hitting targets across revenue and product development. 2) Legal was unwilling to implement an SLA (aggressively fought against it) which made it impossible to set expectations with customers we were actively engaged in negotiations with. This killed deals, and they never took responsibility or addressed the problem. 3) Continually, at company gatherings positive spin was put on our continual failure to meet our goals, and this made leadership at the very top lose all credibility across the entire organization. This was evidenced by a large exodus as I was leaving. 2. They don't value sales people, and therefore put together comp plans that unfairly benefit the company. Furthermore, those comp plans are only signed one way (sales person never gets option to accept), and they often change terms of the plan mid flight as deals happen that have payment terms that are unfavorable to the business. Aside from all of that, they don't pay commissions that were rightly earned. Before I left, I had a significant amount of commission outstanding on deals sold from the previous fiscal year. They were good contracts, that they saw all committed revenue from, and were set up for renewal. When I left I was told they would not be paying those commissions. Wording in comp plan is ambiguous enough where they could do this, but any company that would does not value its sales people. If you are considering joining, I would dig in very hard here.

Signal2019-06-19