KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Signal Reviews

Updated Jun 16, 2021

Found 42 of over 44 reviews

2.9
Signal CEO Lisa Weinstein (no image)
Lisa Weinstein
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Best job

Jun 16, 2021 - Supervisor in Lafayette, LA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good people. Great work environment

Cons

Strict time management. No holiday pay

2. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Making good progress

Mar 4, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Current organization contains self-starters and capable individuals who wear many hats. Leadership has been working hard to redefine our vision and focus. More importantly, messaging now aligns with our capabilities. Platform is more stable than before. Enjoyable to work at overall.

Cons

Organization was custom solution-heavy to make up for the platform. Workarounds were needed but became costly to maintain without a transition to standardization. Some long standing processes were over-engineered and only simplified recently.

2 people found this review helpful
  3. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A ten year old company re-adopting a startup culture

Dec 18, 2019 - Director of Operations
    Business Outlook

Pros

Signal is a rollercoaster, which admittedly is not for everyone. We have the typical startup challenges, which are big, however we work through these together as a team and all are given the latitude to solve these challenges creatively. I have never worked at a more transparent company. After years of operating as an established player, market and leadership changes have shifted Signal to act like a startup. In recent history, this created a rocky path, however it feels like we have now reached the other side and can move forward as a team. The great part now is that we have the financial, technical and client base of an established company, with the culture and opportunities of a startup.

Cons

Many poor choices made years ago are making us make difficult decisions. We are paying for past mistakes.

4. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Small company trying to turn itself around

Feb 21, 2020 - Solutions Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Fun place to work - New CEO and leadership team are making improvements

Cons

- Has seen it's share of challenges - Some people are burnt out by years of bad management - No clear path forward

3 people found this review helpful
  5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

New company direction = Opportunities

Nov 21, 2019 - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Although the last few months have been a difficult time, leadership has now defined the current direction and we are moving forward. There are lots of opportunities for growth and they are committed to keeping the people centered culture that has made this a great place to work. Very collaborative environment where people work hard, then go home to their lives.

Cons

A little short staffed but hiring process is happening. Management is working to rebuild trust.

6. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

A sinking ship with no captain

Oct 28, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

There's a legacy technology stack full of interesting technology, well-written code and plenty of opportunities to improve, expand upon or replace it.

Cons

There is no clear vision to utilize any of the existing assets or a plan to create new value for the company. Engineers are treated solely as resources used to pursue a vision that is poorly communicated because it does not exist. For too many years the company ceded all leadership to a failing product organization. This organization was in way too deep to know how to right the ship or how to seek help in doing so. Signal had the highest caliber engineering organization I have ever seen and all of the talent and promise was squandered slowly over time. Rather than continuing to build that culture internally, they have decided to contract anything out they think of and ride the last investor funds till the end comes.

8 people found this review helpful
  7. 1.0
    Current Employee

False Claims of Transparency

Oct 16, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Snack wall. Nice office location, for now. Generous vacation policy

Cons

New CEO claims to be transparent, but sits in closed office and only listens to two to three trusted advisors. Used to be a place with lively ideas and best & brightest in every department. Now, “trusted advisors” holds power & sway, but lack the humility and maturity to listen to experts around them. What was once a great, growing company is now a sinking ship. Run in the opposite direction!

9 people found this review helpful
  8. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Lipstick on a Pig

Jan 14, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Snacks, games and all that pretend look of a Tech company -decent middle layer

Cons

-Visionless but always pretending to have vision -Very white (with a sinister undertone) -Not a sexy product -Hopelessness galore -No ownership

3 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great company to work for. Hope it stays that way.

Jan 23, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

By far the biggest strength is the people. Signal is a tight-knit group of people, and regardless of your age or interests it is easy to fit in and make friends immediately. There are a ton of happy hours, team outings, and events that make it a very enjoyable place to work. Many people who have left Signal keep in touch and drop in to game nights or happy hours. Overall, I think the company is very well run. I can really only speak for the tech department, but there are a ton of incredibly smart people who know how to build good software and Signal puts a lot of thought into how they build their products. It’s a great place to learn and grow regardless of your experience. For the most part I think the work is challenging and rewarding. The work-life balance is very reasonable too. In addition to the unlimited PTO, the company is very lenient to working from home, remotely, and respectful of people’s time. The people who come into the office every day do so because they genuinely enjoy interacting with their co-workers. The office is also very nice - lots of free snacks, beer fridge, games, and so forth, which I guess is pretty typical for a tech company nowadays.

Cons

Obviously the recent rounds of layoffs are concerning, and one has to question how well the company is doing based on this. Many smart people, including the original CTO, have left the company (many still remain, though). Signal started offshoring a ton of their work, which has dampened the tight-knight culture and engineering quality. I also don’t think the product area Signal is in is very exciting. An alarmingly large percentage of employees don’t REALLY know what the company does or how it does it. Most of the people there enjoy the work because of the engineering standards and challenging nature of the work — I don’t think many people think the work is super impactful, though. Some people really abuse the unlimited PTO and flexible WFH policies, and I don’t think Signal really rewarded those who were more productive than others. The pay scales and promotion rubrics are unclear. Your starting salary is the biggest indicator of your future pay, not performance.

4 people found this review helpful
  10. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great people...but disheartening office politics/toxic atmosphere

Nov 24, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Really smart, kind people...I learned something from everyone I worked with from the engineers to HR. Everyone is really helpful. - There is literally a club for any interest and if its not there, you could start one. - Positive work/life balance - if you needed to work from home you could, they treat you like an adult. - Great office location, open, lots of snacks/beverages available. - Great health benefits.

Cons

- Lack of direction leading to too many re-orgs and unclear of what these meant. Usually when these happened people got promoted who were already in senior management. - Lack of new employee on-boarding and training. It took me a year to get comfortable telling people what we do and how we do it. I think it also lead to me personally not being able to find a place where I could thrive. - Tenured employees left leaving huge holes in guidance, mentorship, and accountability. - No formal performance review process. - Seems like Senior management plays favorites with who they want to see get promoted. - The company gets in its own way in terms of success. Think Signal could be great if everyone had more of a "team" mindset. - Toxic atmosphere at times. Gossip at any workplace is inevitable but I often questioned when people would start talking about me next. But IMO rumors were allowed to fester because nothing was being done about the issues that everyone knew was going on. - No 401k match.

8 people found this review helpful