Skillz Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Skillz Interview Questions

Interviews at Skillz

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Skillz (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

First a brief HR phone call and then directly onsite to SF (No technical phone screen). One thing that I felt weird (apart from not having a technical phone screen) was that the company was not ready to sponsor h1b in the first year. HR told me that they really wants to be sure that you are the right candidate for the company before they can file h1b for you. I think since we(international students) get only 3 chances for h1b, missing one chance is a big deal. So if you are an international student looking for a job just after graduation, clear this point with the hr first before taking things further.

Interview Questions

• so a total of 5 rounds. Unfortunately I could not get through after the three rounds.
      First round consist of java test. laptop will be provided to you with 6 tabs open(one question in each tab, you cannot run the program)
      q1> it was sort of a race condition type solutioon. when one thread satisfies the condition i,e if it is not null, it reaches the second line, by that time, another thread would have made the condition null. Something like that(you have to find the problem in this question and this was the problem)
      q2>multithreading question : you have to put wait in one of the methods so that both threads finish the execution
      q3>try catch finally
      q4>overridding equals and hashcode for hashmap
      q5>overridding equals method for arraylist
      q6>implement arraylist

Second round was a design question: i was asked to write the code for url shortener and then the vice versa of it. Then the interviewer asked me to make the complete system like when you type google.com, what happens, how the request goes and the complete flow. make sure that you make a load balancer and a caching mechanism in your system.

Third round was peer to peer interview: two interviewers came from different background and they asked me behavioral questions   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Skillz (Boston, MA) in February 2018.

Interview

The process took 2 hours - 1 hour technical, 30 mins past experience, 30 mins behavioral. They contacted me through email first and asked to call me later that week. The call was 30 minutes long, and they didn't ask anything about me -- it was more like they were trying to sell their company to me. The actual technical interview had 6 "fix the bug" questions, which were pretty simple.

Interview Questions

• Find the bug for the code -- I forget what the questions were, but a lot of them were based on equality and hashcodes and java threads.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Skillz (New York, NY).

Interview

Their process is really quick, a quick phone screen and then a onsite. Their onsite is a coding challenged followed by a whiteboarding problem. Afterwards you meet the team and the CEO.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Interview

During my onsite interview, the engineers I met were awesome, but their HR department was unprofessional. The HR representative started the day with "we are going to test your technical skills first, and if you do poorly, we will ask you to leave early as to not waste our time". After the onsite interview, it was weeks before Skillz finally provided an update .. via an automated message. This is the only time in my life that I received an automated rejection email after an onsite interview where I met the team ... this really shows how much they care about people.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Skillz in November 2016.

Interview

Recruiter that reached didn't bother to do her due diligence and tried to pitch me on a junior role which would have paid 1/3 what my current role offers. Needless to say the situation conversation got somewhat awkward.

Needless to say, this experience did not leave me with a very good impression of the company.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Skillz.

Interview

Pretty standard interview: phone screening, take-home assignment, then 2 rounds of on-site interviews, interview with CEO and the offer call. They care a lot about hiring the right people so there are many rounds.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Skillz (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

First a phone screen. If you pass, then you move to onsite interview where you meet with the team who will each interview you. Then you meet with CEO. You also do an onsite test so they can test your technical skills. The onsite interview lasts all day.

The interview itself was fine but the overall process was incredibly rude. After each interview step I was told I would receive a decision within a couple of days but it would never happen within the promised time frame. Then 2 weeks after the onsite interview (which was supposed to be the final step), the recruiter tells me that the team actually wants to give all candidates a take-home assignment to do as an ADDITIONAL final step. Then get this: The recruiter tells me that the team hasn't even made the assignment yet! Mind you this was for an internship position and I had already spent a good amount of time interviewing with the company through the phone screen and onsite interviews. At that point, I lost all interest in pursuing this position. The pay is also far below standard. However, their office was nice and the team was all very nice to speak with. They have a nice gaming mural at the office. The company seems like it has a very high turnover and based on this interview process (or I guess lack of) I can completely understand why. I feel like I dodged a bullet.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join us? Standard behavior questions and interview questions about your past technical experiences.   Answer Question

Server Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Skillz (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Reached out to me in email. Overall very friendly, the interview for the position I was going for covered concurrency and multithreading in Java, which I thought was not too bad. Overall my downfall was my own lack of knowledge of the technologies being used.

Server Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Skillz (San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview was pretty long - got in around 10am and stayed until 5pm, it included a programming test in Java with concurrency questions, a system design test, then a few behavioral/personality interviews with first peers, hiring manager, and finally the CEO.

Business Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Skillz (San Francisco, CA) in January 2019.

Interview

Phone call with recruiter, onsite meetings with the team, 4-hour takehome assignment, 2-hour presentation of the homework assignment, talk with CFO, talk with CEO, talk with CFO again and then offer