Skytree Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Skytree Interview Questions

Interviews at Skytree

2.7

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Skytree.

Interview

first they asked me to do online test. they sent an exercise, and I was asked to finish it in one hour. Normal algorithm question. Then I got a phone call from one of the leaders of the company. He mostly talked about what the company does. Then I was invited for interview onsite. I did a presentation, met several people there. There were several algorithm questions, not hard. Mostly they discussed my research, since I am a PhD student. People are nice.

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Skytree (San Jose, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

There was a coding assessment up front. The onsite interview consisted of a presentation of my research and 1-on-1's with the team. I really liked that there was a job talk part which puts Skytree's hiring process closer to research labs than regular industry jobs.

In the individual interviews, there are no gotcha questions and it felt more like a conversation where they tried to get to know me and understand what I can contribute. As it is a small team, you will get to interact directly with CTO (Prof. Gray) , Visualization VP Leland (of grammar of graphics fame) and their stellar cast of researchers. The team is extremely qualified, but very modest.

The flagship product of the company is an enterprise-grade big data ML software. Skytree is perhaps the only game in town now in terms of the breadth and scalability of the algorithms and is poised to be a very powerful player in this space. The compensation they offer (with very little negotiation) is competitive and the recruiter is extremely helpful and always available. I had to turn down the offer due to personal reasons.

Interview Questions

• In my case, I had several questions to find the best place to fit in the team. They really care about the place you will be happiest in and can contribute and grow the most.   Answer Question

Purely personal reasons. It is very difficult to turn down because Skytree provides extremely flexible and challenging environment, tremendous growth opportunities and a generous compensation.

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Skytree (San Jose, CA).

Interview

I was initially approached by a Skytree recruiter through LinkedIn. I expressed interest, and was given a code test by email. The code test was very basic CS 101 stuff (pangrams and particles). After turning that in, I proceeded to an in-person interview.

The in-person was slightly more technical, with some data structures and Big O runtime questions, but the primary focus was really more about determining cultural fit and selling me on the company and technology.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really to report here. It was all very straightforward.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Skytree (San Jose, CA).

Interview

30 min phone screen with recruiter followed by one lengthy in-person session. Met with 6 technical managers and HR over 3.5 hours. The questions were mostly related to how my prior experience related to the current opening and what value I thought I could bring to the role. Feedback from the in-person session was quickly provided by the recruiter and an offer was made within a few days.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected question related to my background in consulting and the clients I worked with.   Answer Question

I had an offer at a more established company that was a slightly better fit for me and had a better compensation package overall.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Skytree.

Interview

Inititial interviews over the phone, with the data science and sales team. "Code test" where I was given two hours to solve a data science problem and send back results. Flew out to San Jose for one day of in-person interviews with the team and the CTO. Received an offer that day.

Interview Questions

• Data Science positions at skytree are customer-facing, so I was interviewed by the sales director to ensure that I could speak eloquently to customers.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Skytree gave me an offer. I asked for a higher amount. They accepted.

NLP Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Skytree (San Jose, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Spent 2 hours writing a pangram and a scrolling text algorithm in Java. Submitted and got an on site interview offer.

Went on site a week later. Interviewed with 5 people. Their CTO is very arrogant and asks personal questions as well as make very condescending remarks (e.g. I worked over 2 years on a project, and his question about this project was "what's this scoring thing"?).

I returned home and asked for reimbursement for my trip, with copies of receipts sent to their HR, but was ignored three times. Never got paid. Very unprofessional behavior. Do not go on interviews with them.

Interview Questions

• Once you pass the coding screen, the on site was not very technical. One question was on Latent Semantic Analysis and how it can pick up ellipsis/ syntactic formation that is suggestive of ellipsis. But the interviewer himself didn't know any answer (when asked "do you have any questions" in the end, I asked about what the solution might be for that- because I think it's a very speculative question that doesn't have existing answers in the industry. Turns out I was right. The interviewer had no idea what he was asking).   Answer Question

Sources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Skytree (San Jose, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

Had three 20 minute interviews with 3 interviewers in the morning. Everything happened on time. the interviewers were easy to communicate with and got straight to the point. Very good vibes all over the office, many smiling faces, and a really nice working environment in general.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Skytree (San Jose, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

I was impressed by the speed of the process. They were able to schedule a phone screen at my first availability and the subsequent in-person interview was the next week. There was only one set of in-person interviews, but it lasted for several hours and I met with several different people.

Interview Questions

• I experienced the normal questions you would expect from a technical interview.   Answer Question

ML Prototyper Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Skytree (San Jose, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

A recruiter reached out, then I had a call with the CTO. Second step was a 2 hours data hacking challenge, followed by an onsite interview where I had hour-long meetings with the CTO, a Data Scientist and co-founder, the director of sales, the VP of Engineering and another co-founder and ML Prototyper.
    Another C++ code test was administered onsite. Everyone was very friendly and no one was arrogant, even if everyone is extremely competent no one was condescending or needed to show off. The whole interview was a nice exchange of thoughts and experiences.

Interview Questions

• No unexpected nor unnecessarily hard question was asked. The interview process was organized to assess how the candidate deals with real-world problem and it turned into an intellectually stimulating chat.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They offered me what I wanted and I signed right away. The process was nice and smooth with no unnecessary loops.

Software Architect/Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Skytree (San Jose, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

Initial contact was from the in-house recruiter, followed by a coffee meeting with the VP/Engineering. Then there was a delay of a few weeks. Followup was an invitation for me to present the results of my recent work on real-time time-series analytics to the entire company, which I felt was a real honor and allowed me to demonstrate what I had developed and how it could benefit Skytree if I was to work there. The audience was very attentive and questions were insightful and plenty.

My conversations (low-key interviews) with the executives and engineers were enjoyable and very stimulating. I was blown away by the caliber of the people I was introduced to, including Leland Wilkinson the author of "Grammar of Graphics" who is their VP of data visualization, who was basically amazing. Discussions with Alex (founder) were illuminating: he comes across as having a clear vision for where the industry is going, and how Skytree can and will play into the evolution of machine learning for big-data systems over the coming years.

His main point is the "everybody's talking about big data but nobody's doing it ... right" opinion I've heard expressed in various forums. I personally feel Alex has the right approach, and I could easily align with his direction.

The interview was very enjoyable, but the delay in engagement had caused me to engage with another company, and in the end I chose to go with them. Skytree would have been my first choice otherwise.

Interview Questions

• The interview was more of a conversation, and nothing was difficult because I was presenting work that I am intimately familiar with. The best was at the end when I asked "will there be a programming question", (I don't feel those are appropriate for somebody who has been making a living doing this for multiple decades), and Alex asked "can you program?". A sense of humor too.   Answer Question