Slack Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Slack Interview Questions

Interviews at Slack

People Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Slack (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Spoke with a recruiter at the company, then my prospective manager. The meetings were conversational but also well focused, they felt casual but let me showcase what I knew. I came back for onsites a week or two later and met with a broader spectrum of the team. Everyone was very friendly and asked good questions. I felt welcome and informed throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• What is your approach to having difficult conversations with people that you manage?   1 Answer

Slack Response

May 9, 2017 – Slack

Thank you so much for the kind words! We’re thrilled to hear that your experience with us was a positive one.

People Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Slack (San Francisco, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

Lengthy interview process which seemed due to part to a team who didn't know what to do, a recruiting team that was just going through the process, and overall lack of follow-through

Interview Questions

• How do you think you're doing right now?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Slack (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

tl;dr: Definitely would not recommend any of my engineering friends to apply here. Definitely would not apply here again. It's been a while since I've experienced an engineering interview process as broken and dysfunctional as Slack's.

More details:
    After some aggressive recruiting (I received 3 cold emails from the recruiter within a span of 2 weeks), I agreed to an initial phone call. The recruiter was enthusiastic and, at the end of the call, said "let me know your availability for a phone screen ASAP, bc the engineering manager would love to talk to you sometime in the next two days". I emailed him my availability that evening, but I didn't hear from anyone for an entire week. (Bad sign.) After 1 week & 3 days, I finally had a phone screen scheduled, but the engineering manager did not impress me at all. He seemed very uninspired by his job and could not give a clear answer when I asked what Slack's engineering priorities were. (Another really bad sign when the engineering manager cannot provide a concise, clear answer on this.)

The next day, the recruiter emailed me a coding challenge and was told that "all candidates must complete the coding challenge" as part of the interview process. The recruiter also told me that "the engineering manager personally reviews the code" and "Slack has a standard criteria for grading all challenge submissions". I was hesitant at first but decided I didn't want to end my interview without giving the coding challenge a shot. I spent several hours over 2 days to complete and submit it. Again, I waited and didn't hear from anyone for another TWO ENTIRE weeks.

Finally, I got an email from the recruiter that was (literally) 1 sentence - just a generic, rejection template email. I replied and asked for some feedback on my coding challenge submission, or at least some feedback that was specific to _my_ interview. The recruiter just replied, "We thought you were great. Unfortunately, I don't have any specific feedback, because I have no idea how the coding challenges are graded. You can always try interviewing again in 6 months."

The entire process was frustrating and disrespectful. Treating candidates like this is just bs. At the end of the day, raising a ton of VC funding and being an unicorn startup does not grant Slack the right to treat candidates like this. Slack really needs to fix their company culture.

Interview Questions

• Initial recruiting phone call. Followed by technical phone screen w/ engineering manager. Followed by coding challenge.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Slack (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Don't bother wasting your valuable time interviewing with this company.

Slack's interview process consists of a short (very uninformative) phone call and a coding challenge. Despite what the recruiter promises, they provide absolutely no feedback/guidance and do not respond to emails in a timely manner throughout the process. Slack uses the coding challenge as a time buffer for themselves, but it's really a waste of time. The manager and infra engineer I spoke with over the phone seemed more interested in fixing bugs and "multi-tasking" during the call than taking the time to get to know the candidate. I was really turned off by their unprofessionalism and rude attitude. After they finally replied to my email, I promptly replied and told them I was not interested in discussing the offer.

Interview Questions

• Phone call, followed by a take-home coding assignment.   1 Answer

The interview process was unprofessional, and I did not get the sense that the company would be a good place to work as an engineer. I did not get the impression that the engineers and engineer manager were enthusiastic about their jobs and projects.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Slack (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Can someone tell them, this is not a fish market but a real professional company ? They have been keeping me hanging for a while like I read in another reviews, same happened to me. The HR talked to me, and gave me a programming assignment after everything looked good. They said to finish it in a week. I finished the same weekend ( in about 2 days ), and it's been 2 weeks, they keep postponing to get back to me. My website code checks who has logged in, and I don't see they even bothered to look at the website. FCK this company. Someone teach them some professionalism. Also, there are million other ways to market your company. I finally sent an email to HR to withdraw my application without them getting back to me. Yah felt good and relieved. Never working for this company again.

Interview Questions

• Write a code to get the number of tags on the any website give into URL.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Slack (San Francisco, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

I had an initial call with the recruiter to gauge my interests and what teams I wanted to potentially work for. Afterwards I was given a week to complete a coding challenge. The coding challenge was not particularly difficult, but still time consuming and took me around 10 hours because I wanted to go above and beyond the requirements. I was told the following week that the position I was interviewing for was filled and the recruiter recommended that I apply to a completely unrelated position and one that I did not state any interest for. This was extremely unprofessional and a complete waste of my time. I do not understand why the recruiter even started me on the interview process when they knew they were extending offers for that position the same week. The recruiter could have been transparent about this process and simply could have put the challenge on hold for a couple of days to let me know. This was by far the worse interview experience I have ever had with a company, the recruiter was not even apologetic in wasting my time and had no respect for my time or the time of other candidates. I guess it's good that I found out about this poor experience earlier, as it probably reflects in the company culture as well.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Slack.

Interview

Extremely disorganized, poor choice of technical questions and a silly coding homework exercise they have you do that they barely look at and take interest in. Interviews ran into way more hiccups at all stages than excusable for a company of this size. As others have noted, DO NOT waste your time with the silly homework assignment and a company that doesnt respect candidates' time

Interview Questions

• take home project and very little relevant questions   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Slack (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Applied online on their website. Recruited emailed showing interest. Scheduled the call for initial screening. Recruiter asked my background and explained the process. Surprisingly got a reject email right away. Not sure what happened. If profile did not match then what was the need for the screening call?

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Slack (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

A few weeks after applying, I was contacted by a recruiter for initial screen, followed by a coding challenge, which I used to brush up on some areas I was less familiar with and tried hard to do more than the minimum hack job.

Another phone interview with the hiring manager followed, and then onsite.

The onsite portion involved meeting with two people at a time and talking through the coding exercise, and both coding and culture-fit/interpersonal questions.

I left feeling that I'd had a meaningful connection with every person I met, and feeling just as positive about the people as I had previously about the product.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to discuss your whole career in detail, not just your recent projects.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Slack in January 2017.

Interview

After a quick phone call with the recruiter, they presented me with a coding exercise. It is a project that you have to finish in one week. My project was a binary memcache protocol implementation (get and set commands only). The protocol is supported by famous memcached. I submitted my implementation on time, and after another week I got a call from the recruiter who informed me that my implementation doesn't meet some never unspecified criteria. I have never been contacted by a Slack engineer. After spending a week, I would expect some technical feedback, discussion, comments, questions. I find that kind of response somewhat unprofessional and disrespectful. If you'd rather not wasting a week, or the exercise isn't something that is very interesting for you, I would not bother with Slack.

Interview Questions

• My project was a binary memcache protocol implementation (get and set/cas commands only). The protocol is supported by famous memcached.   2 Answers