Slack Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
Slack Chief Executive Officer Stewart Butterfield
Stewart Butterfield

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work life balance has been in my experience excellent" (in 28 reviews)

• "Such a great culture of awesomeness" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Nothing really stands out except the usual growing pains of a hyper growth company" (in 8 reviews)

• "I can say there is no cons for now" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best place I have ever worked!"

I have been working at Slack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Intelligent, kind, fun, caring coworkers
    - Personal/Professional Development Budget for each employee
    - We take our values to heart and that comes from the top down
    - The work/life balance is great (work hard and go home)
    - There is constant discussion among all employees about how we 'do that right thing'. That looks different for everyone, but I appreciate that there is always an open dialogue around the decisions we make across the whole company
    - Experience managers/leadership. This isn't their first rodeo.
    - Diversity matters here and is openly discussed
    - I am able to focus on my work and I know that Slack will do right by me (comp, benefits, culture, work/life balance, etc.)
    - I could go on and on...

Cons

- If Stewart told me to jump off a cliff, I'd probably do it.
    - I'd OF COURSE rather be overly PC then not at all...but it can be a bit much sometimes.

Advice to Management

- Keep putting your people first and we will continue to put our users first

"Values-Based Growth"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Slack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have never seen a company so dedicated to its values. I know, I know, every company has a list of values and principles and claims to live by them blah, blah. But at Slack, it isn’t really any list of values, so much as it is an implied way of being. If you are collaborative, respectful, put team first, find creative solutions, the. You will be more successful here.

In some cultures, that simply isn’t true - over time you get sucked into the grimy, political necessities. I have seen it, fallen victim to it, and I am never going back. Working at Slack, I feel liberated to to my best work.

Stuart is amazing. The hype is real.

Finally, I work in Sales, which is often the most competitive dog-eat-dog side of a company. Not here. We win together or we don’t win at all. I know it sounds crazy, but come see for yourself.

Cons

Typical growth challenges.

We use Slack for EVERYTHING at work and once in a while, there is a better way to get something done.

Advice to Management

As we grow, there will be even more pressure on us to bow at the alter of the bottom line. Let’s keep the culture intact!

"External Perception Outpacing Reality"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Slack full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

• Extremely strong, once-in-a-lifetime business. From a market perspective, there's no reason Slack can't be the next MSFT/Salesforce. MSFT presents some competition in the space, but it's Slack's market to lose. You definitely have job security here.
    • Compensation and perks are great. Fitness reimbursement, education, phone data, etc. You'll save a lot of money by working here. Office spaces are luxurious and thoughtfully designed.
    • You get to work on a product (many!) people actually use and care about
    • There are some truly extraordinary people working here that are a pleasure to work with and learn from.
    • Stewart is as "unique" and inspiring as he seems from the outside. Some other executives are the same way.
    • Slack is no longer a startup so it's less likely you'll need to work startup hours (e.g. 9a - 5p will swing it for most roles)
    • The bar for tech companies is lower than sea level, but Slack is still above it. From a total package perspective, there are few opportunities as good as this in Silicon Valley, even despite its many flaws.

Cons

• Despite Slack's diversity PR, some women and minorities still experience horrible things/sexism/lesser treatment there just like any other tech company. There's more than one case of a perpetrator not only not being punished because of incidents but being promoted. Internal surveys continually reflect the dissatisfaction from URMs and virtually nothing is done. It feels awful when the company is telling a story externally that is divorced from the realities many employees experience internally.
    • Senior leadership is extremely hit or miss. You're as likely to find inspiring leaders as you are to find people solely focused on building their personal brand/driving readership to their blog instead of doing any real work.
    • There are management chains completely devoid of accountability, where a bad manager reports to and is close with a bad manager who reports to and is close with a bad manager… This is as demoralizing for direct reports/peer managers as it sounds.
    • Your Slack experience is highly dependent on which department/team you're a part of e.g. someone in CE or Design is much more likely to report having a far better experience than someone in Marketing or Product, but it also varies highly from team to team within each department. Do your due diligence on the team you're joining.
    • The monolith of a codebase has finally caught up to product/engineering. Everyone's heard about the recent weeks' long code freeze but development velocity has indeed slowed to a snail's pace. With more and more large enterprise customers coming in, a rumored IPO, etc, it's unlikely this will turn around in any substantial way. This is extremely tough if you work in Product/Design/Engineering.
    • Slack's culture is "too nice" — people tend to be passive-aggressive and avoid difficult conversations/feedback. Poor performers who make it past 3-6 months are almost never managed out. The foundational values of the company like Empathy/Courtesy were well-intentioned but not fully thought out and the consequences can be felt now.
    • The reward for doing well is typically being driven to burnout — many high performing employees are barely making it to their 2 or 3 year marks, let alone 4 years or beyond.

Advice to Management

Splash cold water on your face, take a look in the mirror, and start seeing what you actually are.

"A company succeeding despite itself"

I have been working at Slack full-time

Pros

There are some smart and friendly people in supporting roles at Slack

Cons

Slack is all hype but guaranteed to make some people wildly rich, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Advice to Management

Bring in strong technical engineering leadership at CTO and VP levels.

5. "Great place to work"

Pros

great culture
    cutting edge tech
    transparency
    great benefits

Cons

free food once a week

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Slack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great culture
    cutting edge tech
    transparency
    great benefits

Cons

free food once a week

"Growing Pains"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits Salary Commute Building Food Talent

Cons

The company hierarchical. Management does not listen to or take their employees seriously. Folks draw a circle around their responsibilities to minimize liability. The company smokes their own product, meaning that they are great because they believe they are great. Management is green and has no clue how to deal with friction within the team or how to motivate people. The product has serious issues, but if you bring them up along with possible solutions, you manager will not be happy and tell you that these issues are not our concern because a different team is responsible for the feature in question. There is no sense of urgency. The company is very successful, but resting on your laurels is an invitation to competitors to eat your lunch. The product does not scale well on the server-side. The word "proactive" is not in anybody's dictionary. We're all waiting for fires to fight. Teams are poorly organized. Instead of forming small two or three person teams to implement a feature, some people are assigned massive tasks while others are given small tasks that have to be stretched out to make an appearance of effort. Some teams can have three or four managers in the span of a single year.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what your reports are telling you. Do not discourage negative opinions or criticism. There where many unicorns before Slack.

"Senior Build and Release Engineer"

I have been working at Slack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome people, great perks like free massages, a 2000$ professional growth and 500$ personal growth fund. paid phone bill and a new phone, fully paid health benefits, and subsidized commuter benefits.
    Also great snacks and catered lunch once a week and an amazing location in downtown.

Cons

slow elevators in the building.

"Once in a Lifetime Opportunity and Company Culture"

I have been working at Slack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Extremely smart teammates.
    -The best culture I've experienced at a technology company. People genuinely want to be successful together, super collaborative culture with an intentional approach to promoting and maintaining our cultural values.
    -The business opportunity is massive and we've only just scratched the surface.
    -No shortage of opportunity, in any role. Execs are open to feedback and great listeners. If you're willing to do the work, you can have a strategic impact.
    -Pay is competitive, benefits are the best I've ever had and the office(s) are incredibly nice.
    -People seem to genuinely enjoy their jobs.
    -This is a once in a lifetime career opportunity.

Cons

-Moving faster than any software company in history - this means that things need to happen quickly.
    -Change can be uncomfortable if you're not used to it. Exec team is aware and focused on maintaining a positive culture.
    -It's not a cushy job, the opportunity is in the impact and REAL work you'll be doing as the company continues to grow.

"Staff software engineer"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance. Great benefits. Really nice people.

Cons

Growth bottleneck. Monolithic codebase. Some technique debt seems to be slowing things down.