Slack Reviews | Glassdoor

Slack Chief Executive Officer Stewart Butterfield
Stewart Butterfield

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Nothing really stands out except the usual growing pains of a hyper growth company" (in 8 reviews)

• "There are no cons at this point" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best place I have ever worked!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Intelligent, kind, fun, caring coworkers
    - Personal/Professional Development Budget for each employee
    - We take our values to heart and that comes from the top down
    - The work/life balance is great (work hard and go home)
    - There is constant discussion among all employees about how we 'do that right thing'. That looks different for everyone, but I appreciate that there is always an open dialogue around the decisions we make across the whole company
    - Experience managers/leadership. This isn't their first rodeo.
    - Diversity matters here and is openly discussed
    - I am able to focus on my work and I know that Slack will do right by me (comp, benefits, culture, work/life balance, etc.)
    - I could go on and on...

Cons

- If Stewart told me to jump off a cliff, I'd probably do it.
    - I'd OF COURSE rather be overly PC then not at all...but it can be a bit much sometimes.

Advice to Management

- Keep putting your people first and we will continue to put our users first

"Fantastic opportunity to build an incredible business"

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Slack full-time

Pros

Truly incredible opportunity - there are few companies that are growing so quickly, with roles expanding so rapidly along with hefty scope and responsibility for almost anyone who wants to claim it. Many people now at Slack, and still being hired into Slack, are the first ones to do their particular roles so there is an opportunity to shape and build from the ground up.

This is not a place for people who want to "rinse and repeat". It's a place to solve hard challenges, do things for the first time, and set a precedent going forward. Slack is a career making opportunity and people on the team know that - it's full of smart people who are energized and motivated to do great work, together.

As a marketer it's also refreshing to work at a tech company that truly values marketing and provides the budget, headcount, and resources to do the job.

Cons

We're still figuring things out and that can be painful. Processes can be clunky and difficult, our systems and tools and data haven't kept up with our growth which can impeded the ability to get work done. There are competing priorities and while everyone generally has good intentions, projects can get bogged down in bottlenecks throughout the org. We don't have a history of "the way we do things" which makes work more exciting but also more chaotic - we are not yet the efficient machine we'd like to be.

Advice to Management

Clarity starts at the top and filters through the org. Don't allow confusion to fester - set clear vision, priorities, and reinforce great culture.

3. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Slack full-time

Pros

It's a nice place to work

Cons

I can't think of any

"Gossipy passive aggressive culture, lots of great people, lots of brilliant jerks"

Pros

- truly some brilliant, fun to work with people
    - a fantastic look at how a quickly growing company leveraged a dead simple (sometimes painfully so) infra to build a huge business
    - people outside of the product org are so nice and friendly, it makes the job seem almost fun
    - some excellent managers around, lots of people you would hope to work with again

Cons

Cons
    - the larger more interesting opportunities require a very strange and unpredictable amount of pleasing the right people and not rocking the boat
    - do not disagree even cordially with people have been there long enough, you will be punished
    - routinely underpay juniors, feel bad for em
    - too many “technical” managers avoiding what they actually need to be doing...managing!

Advice to Management

Hire leaders from...established companies...and let them manage. Pay your employees better and stop making new college grads jump through hoops for promotion

"Incredible opportunity"

I have been working at Slack full-time

Pros

As a marketer, I can't think of a place I would rather be. Having a passionate user base is incredibly rare, especially in b2b marketing.

We're still early days and there's still so much opportunity to make an impact. You have an opportunity to define and build out programs for the first time.

You get to work with a talented team of good people. Great work-life balance, benefits, and norms.

Leadership cares about the team. You'll frequently hear Stewart say what keeps him up at night is the people and ensuring the wheels don't fall off. Yes we've faced growing pains, but some of the reviews posted here are not representative of most peoples' experiences.

Amazing, inspiring new HQ that encourages creativity.

Cons

Growing the team >2x each year has led to some pain. We've hired some people who aren't a fit but we've also hired a lot of great people. Additionally, growth of some teams has far outpaced that of others, leading to some teams being incredibly strapped while others are blocked on work. There are still major gaps in many teams/departments while some roles are starting to overlap.

Advice to Management

Change is expected in such a fast-growing company but leadership needs to own and address when priorities change. Hug the elephant, don't sweep things under the rug.

Alignment starts at the top and trickles down. Leadership should model how cross-functional teams work together.

Invest in people. We say Slack is where you can do the best work of your career but leadership needs to ensure this is true with proper resourcing and alignment. Other companies are hungry to hire/poach people from Slack, leadership can help prevent us from losing talent with more competitive pay and ensuring people see their careers meaningfully progressing at Slack.

"A great place to work if you are not in Marketing."

I have been working at Slack full-time

Pros

Slack is a great product with a lot potential.
    Great customer base and sales team.
    There are some really smart and kind people through the organization.
    Not a workaholic culture with staff leaning older the culture feels a lot more mature. No beer, foosball or frat boy antics.
    Great compensation and benefits.
    Interesting problems to solve.
    Stills feel like a startup but that will probably change soon as there are signs that big company culture is on the way.

Cons

Slack has a serious culture problem especially in the marketing organization that just grinds people down to a pulp and discards them.

Marketing leadership has been allowed to drive the morale down of the marketing team. The marketing organization is a hot bed of opaque transparency, silencing tactics, favoritism, unannounced informal demotions, bullying tactics including just deciding to stop inviting key people to meetings, silent treatment and coverups, poor operational procedure, lack of vision, lack of insight into decision making with with no oversight from our CEO. The culture amp survey scores for the entire org are in material decline, and there is a consistent show of sloppy vision from the top that keeps marketing operations in a state of confusion with constantly blown scopes and massively off track projects, thrashing and things changing every other week. Attrition is bad people who don't get bullied out of the organization are starting to leave on their own accord.

The People Org has watched all of this go on and it continues to happen with seemingly very few alarm bells being rung . The morale of the marketing organization is in serious decline and many key figures have gone missing with very little explanation. Leadership has been allowed to run amuck and people are too paralyzed by unchecked power and are too fearful to disagree because they know the consequences—their careers. There is no recourse for you if you are a victim of leaderships quick disposal of you. Everyone in the organization sees this pattern and it is an open secret.

The marketing organization has been tasked with a lot of meaningful company goals and the insecure, inhumane, bullying tactics are going to be the make or break in the entire team’s success. There are very talented people on the team and talented people have been forced out if they pose a threat or challenge leadership. Making a mistake can ruin your career. At the top of the organization is leadership is only about itself and its career aspirations and it does not care about who it has to step on, ruin or use to get there as long it keeps favor in our CEO's eyes.

Advice to Management

Stewart, our CEO, should step in and stop this bleeding, and listen to the people who are on the front lines and doing the work to bring his vision to life, and stop the harm that is happening throughout the marketing organization at Slack before an eventual reckoning happens. Marketing leadership is a toxic force at the top and it is only a matter of time before it has to be dealt with. People are afraid and scared for their jobs and many tears have been shed over this. Leadership should be held accountable for the way it treats people whose only desire it was is to come to Slack and make it the best company and product it can be.

Slack Response

May 4, 2018 – VP, People

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us. Although it’s disappointing to hear this has been your experience at Slack, we appreciate your candor and your perspective. We take all employee... More

"Large Enterprise Account Executive"

Current Employee - Large Enterprise Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Large Enterprise Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Slack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Game changing technology and massive market opportunity ahead - We're 1% penetrated in a 700 million knowledge worker market. Unique culture that emphasizes customer and team first. Great opportunity for career growth: A colleague was promoted to manager role and many others have been promoted into Senior AE roles. Achieved some great milestones in 2017 including landing Large Enterprise logos that few 4 year old companies can boast about: IBM, Oracle, SAP, American Express, Capital One, eBay, Paypal, Walmart. Best parts about working at Slack: Being surround by intelligent, empathetic teammates, helping effect a fundamental change in how people use technology to get work done, exciting personal career growth and earnings opportunities, and visionary leadership from Stewart Butterfield who has surrounded himself with an impressive executive team.

Cons

The sales organization still comprises a smaller percentage of the total employees, so developing a strong voice/seat at the table with larger product and engineering organization has taken time. I've seen positive changes over the last year here so I anticipate progress will continue to improve.

Advice to Management

Continue to make increasingly larger investments into the sales and marketing organizations to serve our growing customer base upmarket and our sales and marketing employee base.

"Marketers beware!"

I have been working at Slack full-time

Pros

Great, fun product that is beloved by customers
    Amazing talent on the ground. So many great minds.
    "Mature" startup with great perks
    Work/life balance

Cons

Lots of confusion, fake empowerment, meanness and secrecy.
    Competition within the marketing team, project stealing and disrespect of people's roles.
    Constant undermining to the point where even senior managers are informally demoted and cast aside.
    Overt favoritism, earned by being a yes man or woman and doing what you're told. The favorites can do ANYTHING they want, while others can do nothing right.
    Zero support from leadership.
    Inept, threatened, aggressive leadership with major imposter syndrome. There's nothing to learn from those in charge. In fact, be prepared to teach and then be punished for being "outspoken."
    Short-term thinking and planning resulting in missed opportunities.
    Hiring too many too fast, with overlapping responsibilities. Roles aren't defined well so it's hard to know who does what. Excited new hires are allowed to run with projects without including the right people. Before you know it, you've become redundant.
    HR has no power to help, as people are regularly complaining and inevitably leaving or being pushed out.

Advice to Management

Stop enabling, rewarding and promoting leaders with a known track record of abhorrent behavior. Step in and make real changes before the walls come crashing down, while the company is still seen as a darling of the tech world. Hire experts at the top, with the confidence to encourage, support and grow the incredibly talented folks they hire. Slack could be an even stronger company if those of us who were so thrilled to join and left completely distraught were allowed to flourish. This WILL come to bite you.

Slack Response

May 4, 2018 – VP, People

"Enterprise Sales Reps Beware..."

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Slack full-time

Pros

An elegant, disruptive product with a compelling mission and strong delivery. Very smart, motivated, and passionate employee base.

Cons

I feel like I'm watching Death of a SaaS salesman play out right before my eyes. We have an amazing product, an amazing opportunity...lots of pipeline...yet it's nearly impossible to make real money. Why? Because commission rates are at the absolute bottom of the market. If you've been accustomed to a typical SaaS commission rate of 10%...you will NOT find that here...not even close. At Slack, your commission rate will be at 3% or less. Yes, it's true... if you close a $1M deal, you will only get paid about $30K before taxes.

It's unclear whether this is a CEO driven philosophical shift in not rewarding the revenue generators of the company or whether it's because Slack sales mgmt has come from non-enterprise sales roles at companies or channels where they have historically underpaid sales people (ie. DropBox, SFDC Commercial/SMB, LinkedIn etc)... but it's become a shock that has rippled through our sales org at the cost productivity. It's demoralizing, distracting, and disappointing, especially for the newer sales hires who were misled to believe they'd be able to make real money.

Advice to Management

If you're trying to land and retain true enterprise sales reps...who are top performers, have come from great sales cultures, and who will close the big deals and logos...PAY THEM market rates. Most of the team is still new enough and not vested enough to feel the grip of golden handcuffs (RSUs/Stock Options)... we WILL leave.

A $3M quota number with a $100K variable is bottom of the market. The average SaaS AE's Bookings:Earnings ratio is about 6:1...at Slack it averages about 15-20:1. Something HAS to change. If not, I expect significant attrition in the coming months.

"Excellent company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Dev in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Dev in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company culture is the best. The people you will be working with and the ones you won't will treat you like family. There's a sense of ownership that I have never seen before

Cons

So far, everything has been positive

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. The transparency and availability shown is very comforting.