Slack Reviews | Glassdoor

Slack Chief Executive Officer Stewart Butterfield
Stewart Butterfield

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Nothing really stands out except the usual growing pains of a hyper growth company" (in 8 reviews)

• "There are no cons at this point" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best place I have ever worked!"

I have been working at Slack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Intelligent, kind, fun, caring coworkers
    - Personal/Professional Development Budget for each employee
    - We take our values to heart and that comes from the top down
    - The work/life balance is great (work hard and go home)
    - There is constant discussion among all employees about how we 'do that right thing'. That looks different for everyone, but I appreciate that there is always an open dialogue around the decisions we make across the whole company
    - Experience managers/leadership. This isn't their first rodeo.
    - Diversity matters here and is openly discussed
    - I am able to focus on my work and I know that Slack will do right by me (comp, benefits, culture, work/life balance, etc.)
    - I could go on and on...

Cons

- If Stewart told me to jump off a cliff, I'd probably do it.
    - I'd OF COURSE rather be overly PC then not at all...but it can be a bit much sometimes.

Advice to Management

- Keep putting your people first and we will continue to put our users first

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The NICEST, most thoughtful company culture I've ever experienced. I have not met a jerk yet and bullying / fear-inducing is NOT tolerated here. It's amazing to feel safe, considered, and heard here.
    The benefits are amazing - all monthly medical premiums are covered for the employee and family. The annual personal development ($500)and professional development ($2,000) funds are compelling.
    Slack's mission in making work simpler, more productive, and more pleasant truly resonates internally and externally - and I see so many positive reactions from within and from our customers. It's truly what we are built for and it keeps the morale, quality of product, and culture thriving.

Cons

The NICEST, most thoughtful company culture I've ever experienced. Yes, our biggest strength can be our biggest weakness. Sometimes, crucial conversations can be difficult when we are too focused on being nice than simply telling what the problem and solution is. But honestly, this is the biggest problem I've encountered so far and I'll take that over any other company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great communications to all employees with the all-hands meetings and the exec-ama channel. We love it!

"Great Team & Transparent Management"

Current Employee - CE Agent
    Current Employee - CE Agent

I have been working at Slack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Everyone is happy to help you, but that is also tempered by the "teach a person to fish," philosophy where you look for an answer, first, and then turn to your team if you don't have any luck

- The onboarding process (at least for Customer Experience) is 9 weeks in length so you have lots of time to learn before are fully trained.

- Management at all levels is very supportive and open with communication..giving the "why" behind the "what" helps to focus everyone on the task(s) at hand.

- The knee-jerk reaction isn't to "ask the engineers." However, the engineering team here is great at assisting with questions or difficulties.

- I have found that most folks will be candid and straight-forward with you rather than giving non-descriptive and indecisive answers.

- When you are at work, you focus on work, but when you are home you can be completely home...you don't feel like you still need to be accessible for work

Cons

- The 9 week onboarding process can seem a bit tedious at times

- Pay is a little lower than expected, but the benefits are absolutely fantastic, so that is sort of a wash.

- There is a ton of information to get through and understand...they don't expect you to memorize it all, but the process of making everything easy to find and reference is still in progress.

Advice to Management

- Keep the competitive edge in the market as other competitors bolster their presence this area of business.

- Don't lost the transparency with your company.

- Focus on making the basic product the best it can be whilst simultaneously baking in new key features to keep existing customers and acquire new ones.

"Slack is the unicorn of tech companies"

I have been working at Slack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

genuinely cares about you and your life inside & outside the company -> work-life balance is key. Everyone goes out for lunch - the office is dead between 12 and 1. Everyone goes to the weekly happy hour and it's super fun. There is an emphasis on the long-term goals of the company. And the company is willing to work on the hard problems and deliver higher quality product experiences - even if it will take more time and effort. The company is diverse and values diverse opinions. People are encouraged to be vulnerable, take & give feedback, and constantly improve. The company values individual growth as much as company growth and sees the two as interdependent.

Cons

It's an early-ish stage company so some processes and resources are still being developed - I think this is actually a pro disguised as a con bc you get to be a part of those decisions.

"Slack, where work happens"

I have been working at Slack full-time

Pros

- Culture
    - Relevance of work
    - Engineering team

Cons

- Growing pains
    - Distractions
    - I need 5 words

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid of structure and process

"Beyond excited to be here"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Culture, inclusive and feel like you have a voice that is heard
    -Slack is a sexy product, people LOVE using it and rely on it, plus the reputation we have out in the community is solid
    -No shortage of new things to build out process wise, projects to work, so many cool things you can do; you leave your workday feeling your impact on the company with the work you did.
    -Leadership; Stewart is SO awesome, he hangs out during gather hour or lunch sometimes and he chats with everyone and anyone, he is relatable, humble, and smart. He makes you feel excited to be here and be a part of what is in store for our future as a company. Slack has a heart and if you come here you will understand why people come to work here. It's nice to be somewhere where you feel the company aligns with your own personal beliefs too.
    -The future is BRIGHT, everyone who works here sincerely believes in this product and what else could happen with it - everyone who works here WANTS to be here.

Cons

-Same with one of the pros' - no shortage of work to do, so just pace yourself and do one thing at a time.
    -Growing fast, keeping the culture strong as we scale so fast

Advice to Management

-Keep investing in the people on your team and their growth

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Slack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Slack is a great place to work. It is a fast paced hyper-growth startup, which is never easy, but the folks here genuinely focus on making it a great place to work for everyone. The pay is market rate, the benefits are fantastic (completely paid for medical/dental/vision for the entire family), and "work hard andn go home" is painted on the wall. The work is hard, the coworkers are smart and collaborative, the goals are clear, and you are encouraged to bring your whole self to work. Can't ask for more.

Cons

You have to create your own boundaries. If you don't then the amount of work to do will definitely take over your life. Most bosses support this and you can be successful without burning out.

"Enterprise Account Executive"

I have been working at Slack full-time

Pros

It's hard to imagine a company with a bigger opportunity in enterprise software than Slack. We’ve paved the way within the workstream collaboration space and the market opportunity has been validated as Microsoft, Google and Cisco build competing products. I feel lucky to sell a product that is genuinely loved by our users. It’s inspiring to see how our customers embrace Slack to transform how they work. We’re fortunate to partner with some of the largest companies in the world.

One of the reasons I joined Slack is to help build a unique team and culture, which has been remarkable to be a part of over the past two years as we continue to scale our NYC office. I’m surrounded by driven coworkers who are smart, passionate, and make it fun to come to work.

As a member of the sales team, it’s reassuring that Slack is aligned across the board to optimize the product-market fit within large organizations – our company strategy and our investment in support roles prove that we’re doing everything we can to accelerate growth.

Cons

It can be challenging to go head to head with other tech titans and sell the value of our product when our competition is often free. However, Slack will trust you to pursue the approach that you feel will be most effective and empower you to take risks. The skills that are required to succeed at Slack will position you well for whatever you do next in your career.

Advice to Management

Try not to instill process just for the sake of having process. At times, it feels like our focus on creating structure gets in our way of going to market.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, lots of career growth opportunities, supportive co-workers, nice office, good work life balance

Cons

New managers need better training and resources.

10. "Assoc. Mgmt"

I have been working at Slack full-time

Pros

Good people and nice environment

Cons

Scaling fast which is good but difficult