Slack Reviews | Glassdoor

Slack Chief Executive Officer Stewart Butterfield
Stewart Butterfield

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Nothing really stands out except the usual growing pains of a hyper growth company" (in 9 reviews)

• "I can say there is no cons for now" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter

I have been working at Slack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love Slack and everyone on team!

Cons

Don't have anything negative to say....

Advice to Management

management is awesome and consistently checking in.

2. "Incredible Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Wonderful co workers
    - Truly believe in management, the product and our mission
    - Incredible perks and great work life balance

Cons

- Typical growing pains of a hyper-growth company, things are changing constantly but it's an incredibly exciting time to be working here!

3. "See what you are missing"

Current Employee - Work Development Coordinator in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Work Development Coordinator in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Slack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere
    Steady income
    Opportunity to advance

Cons

No downsides of working for this company

4. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Product Design Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Design Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of diversity, good pay, great location, good product

Cons

Only intern in my organization

"Great benefits, great culture, great product"

Current Employee - People Team in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - People Team in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Going to work is fun, colleagues are all incredibly smart, thoughtful, and compassionate people, definitely the best job of my life so far.

Cons

Company is growing really fast (which is a pro, I suppose) so sometimes it feels like we're tripping over our feet trying to keep up. That said, I think that's normal for any hypergrowth company, and it's fun to be going along for the ride.

"Good Leader, fast growth"

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Slack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CEO has a great vision and values, good benefits, good values

Cons

hypergrowth means little time to reflect

"External Perception Outpacing Reality"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Slack full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

• Extremely strong, once-in-a-lifetime business. From a market perspective, there's no reason Slack can't be the next MSFT/Salesforce. MSFT presents some competition in the space, but it's Slack's market to lose. You definitely have job security here.
    • Compensation and perks are great. Fitness reimbursement, education, phone data, etc. You'll save a lot of money by working here. Office spaces are luxurious and thoughtfully designed.
    • You get to work on a product (many!) people actually use and care about
    • There are some truly extraordinary people working here that are a pleasure to work with and learn from.
    • Stewart is as "unique" and inspiring as he seems from the outside. Some other executives are the same way.
    • Slack is no longer a startup so it's less likely you'll need to work startup hours (e.g. 9a - 5p will swing it for most roles)
    • The bar for tech companies is lower than sea level, but Slack is still above it. From a total package perspective, there are few opportunities as good as this in Silicon Valley, even despite its many flaws.

Cons

• Despite Slack's diversity PR, some women and minorities still experience horrible things/sexism/lesser treatment there just like any other tech company. There's more than one case of a perpetrator not only not being punished because of incidents but being promoted. Internal surveys continually reflect the dissatisfaction from URMs and virtually nothing is done. It feels awful when the company is telling a story externally that is divorced from the realities many employees experience internally.
    • Senior leadership is extremely hit or miss. You're as likely to find inspiring leaders as you are to find people solely focused on building their personal brand/driving readership to their blog instead of doing any real work.
    • There are management chains completely devoid of accountability, where a bad manager reports to and is close with a bad manager who reports to and is close with a bad manager… This is as demoralizing for direct reports/peer managers as it sounds.
    • Your Slack experience is highly dependent on which department/team you're a part of e.g. someone in CE or Design is much more likely to report having a far better experience than someone in Marketing or Product, but it also varies highly from team to team within each department. Do your due diligence on the team you're joining.
    • The monolith of a codebase has finally caught up to product/engineering. Everyone's heard about the recent weeks' long code freeze but development velocity has indeed slowed to a snail's pace. With more and more large enterprise customers coming in, a rumored IPO, etc, it's unlikely this will turn around in any substantial way. This is extremely tough if you work in Product/Design/Engineering.
    • Slack's culture is "too nice" — people tend to be passive-aggressive and avoid difficult conversations/feedback. Poor performers who make it past 3-6 months are almost never managed out. The foundational values of the company like Empathy/Courtesy were well-intentioned but not fully thought out and the consequences can be felt now.
    • The reward for doing well is typically being driven to burnout — many high performing employees are barely making it to their 2 or 3 year marks, let alone 4 years or beyond.

Advice to Management

Splash cold water on your face, take a look in the mirror, and start seeing what you actually are.

"Comfortable Place, Nice People. Not Great for Career Advancement"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Good work/life balance. Management seems to career about employees' wellness. Lots of fringe benefits including good Mat/Pat leave.
    * Company has a good name and is on a good trajectory.
    * Coworkers are pretty nice and mature.

Cons

* At least within Analytics, ICs are rarely promoted. Mid-managers come up with rubrics for judging advancement, but use vague definitions to make assessment fit their view. In two years, among fifteen colleagues, I've observed perhaps three IC promotions (manager class seems to promote itself)
    * In same vein, mid-management is reluctant to promote ICs to management, tend to hire from outside so nearly impossible to move up from IC to mgr
    * Fast growth issues: getting things out the door is focused on, so quick wins are praised and rewarded, while building scalable solutions is often overlooked. Result is a lot of tech debt and even basic data questions still take a long time to get answered. On an org level, code base is a behemoth and we've now finally been forced into clean-up mode because it's struggling to scale.

Advice to Management

* Quick and dirty is fine at a small start-up but it's time to start focusing on some scalable solutions. That doesn't just mean implementing them from the top down but building a culture where going the extra mile to build a good solution is rewarded.
    * Take a chance on promoting some of the experienced ICs. They may surprise you in their abilities to run groups and it would give some hope of career progression to the rest of the ICs.

"Values-Based Growth"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Slack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have never seen a company so dedicated to its values. I know, I know, every company has a list of values and principles and claims to live by them blah, blah. But at Slack, it isn’t really any list of values, so much as it is an implied way of being. If you are collaborative, respectful, put team first, find creative solutions, the. You will be more successful here.

In some cultures, that simply isn’t true - over time you get sucked into the grimy, political necessities. I have seen it, fallen victim to it, and I am never going back. Working at Slack, I feel liberated to to my best work.

Stuart is amazing. The hype is real.

Finally, I work in Sales, which is often the most competitive dog-eat-dog side of a company. Not here. We win together or we don’t win at all. I know it sounds crazy, but come see for yourself.

Cons

Typical growth challenges.

We use Slack for EVERYTHING at work and once in a while, there is a better way to get something done.

Advice to Management

As we grow, there will be even more pressure on us to bow at the alter of the bottom line. Let’s keep the culture intact!

"A company succeeding despite itself"

I have been working at Slack full-time

Pros

There are some smart and friendly people in supporting roles at Slack

Cons

Slack is all hype but guaranteed to make some people wildly rich, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Advice to Management

Bring in strong technical engineering leadership at CTO and VP levels.