Slack Reviews | Glassdoor

Slack Chief Executive Officer Stewart Butterfield
Stewart Butterfield

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Nothing really stands out except the usual growing pains of a hyper growth company" (in 8 reviews)

• "I can say there is no cons for now" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best place I have ever worked!"

I have been working at Slack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Intelligent, kind, fun, caring coworkers
    - Personal/Professional Development Budget for each employee
    - We take our values to heart and that comes from the top down
    - The work/life balance is great (work hard and go home)
    - There is constant discussion among all employees about how we 'do that right thing'. That looks different for everyone, but I appreciate that there is always an open dialogue around the decisions we make across the whole company
    - Experience managers/leadership. This isn't their first rodeo.
    - Diversity matters here and is openly discussed
    - I am able to focus on my work and I know that Slack will do right by me (comp, benefits, culture, work/life balance, etc.)
    - I could go on and on...

Cons

- If Stewart told me to jump off a cliff, I'd probably do it.
    - I'd OF COURSE rather be overly PC then not at all...but it can be a bit much sometimes.

Advice to Management

- Keep putting your people first and we will continue to put our users first

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Slack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great culture
    cutting edge tech
    transparency
    great benefits

Cons

free food once a week

"Growing Pains"

I have been working at Slack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits Salary Commute Building Food Talent

Cons

The company hierarchical. Management does not listen to or take their employees seriously. Folks draw a circle around their responsibilities to minimize liability. The company smokes their own product, meaning that they are great because they believe they are great. Management is green and has no clue how to deal with friction within the team or how to motivate people. The product has serious issues, but if you bring them up along with possible solutions, you manager will not be happy and tell you that these issues are not our concern because a different team is responsible for the feature in question. There is no sense of urgency. The company is very successful, but resting on your laurels is an invitation to competitors to eat your lunch. The product does not scale well on the server-side. The word "proactive" is not in anybody's dictionary. We're all waiting for fires to fight. Teams are poorly organized. Instead of forming small two or three person teams to implement a feature, some people are assigned massive tasks while others are given small tasks that have to be stretched out to make an appearance of effort. Some teams can have three or four managers in the span of a single year.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what your reports are telling you. Do not discourage negative opinions or criticism. There where many unicorns before Slack.

"Senior Build and Release Engineer"

I have been working at Slack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome people, great perks like free massages, a 2000$ professional growth and 500$ personal growth fund. paid phone bill and a new phone, fully paid health benefits, and subsidized commuter benefits.
    Also great snacks and catered lunch once a week and an amazing location in downtown.

Cons

slow elevators in the building.

"Once in a Lifetime Opportunity and Company Culture"

I have been working at Slack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Extremely smart teammates.
    -The best culture I've experienced at a technology company. People genuinely want to be successful together, super collaborative culture with an intentional approach to promoting and maintaining our cultural values.
    -The business opportunity is massive and we've only just scratched the surface.
    -No shortage of opportunity, in any role. Execs are open to feedback and great listeners. If you're willing to do the work, you can have a strategic impact.
    -Pay is competitive, benefits are the best I've ever had and the office(s) are incredibly nice.
    -People seem to genuinely enjoy their jobs.
    -This is a once in a lifetime career opportunity.

Cons

-Moving faster than any software company in history - this means that things need to happen quickly.
    -Change can be uncomfortable if you're not used to it. Exec team is aware and focused on maintaining a positive culture.
    -It's not a cushy job, the opportunity is in the impact and REAL work you'll be doing as the company continues to grow.

"Staff software engineer"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance. Great benefits. Really nice people.

Cons

Growth bottleneck. Monolithic codebase. Some technique debt seems to be slowing things down.

"Great Team & Transparent Management"

Current Employee - CE Agent
    Current Employee - CE Agent

I have been working at Slack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Everyone is happy to help you, but that is also tempered by the "teach a person to fish," philosophy where you look for an answer, first, and then turn to your team if you don't have any luck

- The onboarding process (at least for Customer Experience) is 9 weeks in length so you have lots of time to learn before are fully trained.

- Management at all levels is very supportive and open with communication..giving the "why" behind the "what" helps to focus everyone on the task(s) at hand.

- The knee-jerk reaction isn't to "ask the engineers." However, the engineering team here is great at assisting with questions or difficulties.

- I have found that most folks will be candid and straight-forward with you rather than giving non-descriptive and indecisive answers.

- When you are at work, you focus on work, but when you are home you can be completely home...you don't feel like you still need to be accessible for work

Cons

- The 9 week onboarding process can seem a bit tedious at times

- Pay is a little lower than expected, but the benefits are absolutely fantastic, so that is sort of a wash.

- There is a ton of information to get through and understand...they don't expect you to memorize it all, but the process of making everything easy to find and reference is still in progress.

Advice to Management

- Keep the competitive edge in the market as other competitors bolster their presence this area of business.

- Don't lost the transparency with your company.

- Focus on making the basic product the best it can be whilst simultaneously baking in new key features to keep existing customers and acquire new ones.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The NICEST, most thoughtful company culture I've ever experienced. I have not met a jerk yet and bullying / fear-inducing is NOT tolerated here. It's amazing to feel safe, considered, and heard here.
    The benefits are amazing - all monthly medical premiums are covered for the employee and family. The annual personal development ($500)and professional development ($2,000) funds are compelling.
    Slack's mission in making work simpler, more productive, and more pleasant truly resonates internally and externally - and I see so many positive reactions from within and from our customers. It's truly what we are built for and it keeps the morale, quality of product, and culture thriving.

Cons

The NICEST, most thoughtful company culture I've ever experienced. Yes, our biggest strength can be our biggest weakness. Sometimes, crucial conversations can be difficult when we are too focused on being nice than simply telling what the problem and solution is. But honestly, this is the biggest problem I've encountered so far and I'll take that over any other company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great communications to all employees with the all-hands meetings and the exec-ama channel. We love it!

"Wonderful people, great work/life balance, customer focus"

I have been working at Slack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very clear company mission
    Excellent cross-organization collaboration
    Exciting real-time challenges

Cons

Tough market environment
    Lots of new teammates to help onboard

Advice to Management

Continue to support individuals to make decisions that have huge impact
    Increase focus on hiring more folks with diverse perspectives and experiences

"Slack is the unicorn of tech companies"

I have been working at Slack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

genuinely cares about you and your life inside & outside the company -> work-life balance is key. Everyone goes out for lunch - the office is dead between 12 and 1. Everyone goes to the weekly happy hour and it's super fun. There is an emphasis on the long-term goals of the company. And the company is willing to work on the hard problems and deliver higher quality product experiences - even if it will take more time and effort. The company is diverse and values diverse opinions. People are encouraged to be vulnerable, take & give feedback, and constantly improve. The company values individual growth as much as company growth and sees the two as interdependent.

Cons

It's an early-ish stage company so some processes and resources are still being developed - I think this is actually a pro disguised as a con bc you get to be a part of those decisions.