KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Slack Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2021

Found 598 of over 647 reviews

4.7
Pros
  • "Work life balance is not just talked about but demonstrated here(in 84 reviews)

• "Great culture - there has not been a single day where I wished I was working elsewhere(in 29 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Working through the growing pains of a startup(in 37 reviews)

• "This level of scaling in a distributed work environment might not be for everyone(in 14 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Slack and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year
      Featured Review

A group of brilliant, warm and empathetic humans 🚀

Oct 19, 2020 - Manager – Technical Architect in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture encourages people to naturally be themselves, it stopped being classified as work for me a long time ago and more of a place my brain goes to think about people collaborate. Work life balance is not just talked about but demonstrated here. Work hard and go home was painted on the wall of my office and it's respected and adhered to. I had a life event and my manager simply said, "go and do what you need to do, your family comes first".

Cons

It is a big responsibility to handle the collaboration of the size of customers we have, it is not necessary a negative but something to remember from time to time.

11 people found this review helpful

Slack

Thanks for your review! It’s great to hear that you feel work/life balance is a priority at Slack. The health and well-being of our employees is very important to us and we’re glad to hear that you feel supported. We hear you on the responsibility front and we’re thankful to you for taking it on! -Slack

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great culture

Jul 19, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's the best company culture I've ever been apart of! I've never felt more supported in my career and I get to work with the smartest people. The walk the walk and I swear it's not just kool-aid chatter.

Cons

Growing pains. Lack of clarity from marketing leadership is a huge pain point on every project. Bad management without the ability to move teams besides just leaving the company altogether.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Work/Life balance with a product that works and users that love it

Jun 21, 2021 - Learning Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked so many places where the product makes every position within the company feel like hell. Slack's product makes working there so easy and the culture and benefits around it make it even better. Work/life balance is the best I've ever had and I'm hoping this stays similar post acquisition. My teammates and those I work with cross-functionally are some of the smartest people I've ever met. Compensation also feels competitive across the board from what I've seen and the benefits, perks, and bonus opportunities are also great.

Cons

So far so good! I have given feedback on some of my experiences, but I feel as though it is actually heard and I wouldn't call any of these cons to working here. Come join us!

1 person found this review helpful

Slack Response

Thank you for leaving this thoughtful review! We are so glad you've given feedback on your experiences while working here :) So happy to have you on board! -Slack

4. 5.0
      Current Employee

Awesome place to work

Jul 12, 2021 - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Cool product, great culture, top-notch talent everywhere

Cons

Hard to find something to nitpick on this

Slack Response

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave this review! We are so happy to have you on the team and thrilled you love the product and culture so much :) -Slack

5. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

I loved Slack

Jun 26, 2021 - Office Coordinator in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lovely and welcoming environment, lovely office

Cons

I didn't get to work there permanently

Slack Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! -Slack

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company culture with some growing pains

May 17, 2021 - Senior Technical Architect
      Business Outlook

Pros

Stewart and his leadership team are very empathetic to its employees. They were one of the 1st tech companies to create great work from home policy. In addition they created a mental health day off one Friday once a month.

Cons

some groups within custom success can be Very political. Some customer success managers can be very petty when it comes to polish of presentations.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best Company I've Ever Worked For

Oct 13, 2020 - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Overall, Slack is a wonderful place to work, to be an engineer, or to be an engineering manager. I've been lucky enough to be both an IC and an EM at Slack, and over the past two years I've worked with incredible colleagues. We're shipping a well loved product that's fun to use, and we're able to ship it without working crazy hours. Work life balance is great, and so are benefits. During the pandemic they've been giving everyone in the company 1 extra day off a month and it's just been wonderful.

Cons

If you don't have a manager invested in helping you grow your career, it's going to be a challenge to do it. The engineering promotion process is very manager driven, including packets written by the manager. If you don't have the proper support, it's tough to get promotions or switch from IC to EM. If you do, it's a great place to grow your career. On a day to day basis, there are still a number of things that cause engineers on my team pain in the codebase. Flaky tests are probably culprit number one. Code health has improved a lot in the past year, but there's still a ways to go.

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Values sound good on paper but are just for show

Apr 2, 2021 - People Manager in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Comfortable accommodations and benefits, useful product, smart coworkers (while they last)

Cons

Values are for display purposes only. Commitment to inclusion is shallow. The nail that stands up is hammered down. Sr Leadership are insecure and do not tolerate challenge, strong vision, or actual proactive improvements. Work-life balance is rapidly decreasing. Leaders are trying to squeeze blood from stones. Product is rapidly becoming unreliable and customer good-will being burned. Slack's early success was via taking the time to do things properly, now there is not even time to do things half-assed. It really shows when you use the product or try to have meaningful discussions with severely burned-out teammates.

12 people found this review helpful

Slack Response

Thank you for sharing your experience working at Slack. We are always striving to create a great environment for our employees so we appreciate this feedback. If you have not already, we'd encourage you to speak with your manager and your department's people partner to discuss some of these matters with them further. -Slack

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Friendly company with

Oct 13, 2020 - Staff Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I joined Slack after COVID-19 quarantine had already started, so my entire interview process, onboarding, and beyond has taken place remotely. While every company faces challenges due to this situation, I think Slack has handled it exceptionally well. I have felt very supported by the company and my peers in getting set up remotely, and I'm impressed by how quickly the entire company has adapted to working from home and continues to iterate on ways to make this work even better. As someone who used to have a long commute to the office every day, I appreciate that Slack is now allowing employees to work fully remotely in the future. In terms of the work, I feel that I've quickly ramped up on my team's work and have started making impactful contributions soon after joining. It feels like there's a lot of opportunity to take on responsibility and make meaningful contributions, while also being supported in prioritizing your own personal life and health.

Cons

I've struggled a lot with legacy code and learning PHP/Hack, which I didn't know prior to joining and have found difficult to work with. This can be frustrating for engineers who are used to working in more common languages which have more available resources online. The codebase also has some poorly documented / poorly tested areas which are difficult to understand and make changes to (these is mostly legacy code, as standards seem to have increased over time).

Slack People Team

Hi there - thank you for sharing your onboarding experience. We're thrilled to hear that you've ramped up quickly and look forward to seeing what you accomplish here! Be well. -Slack

10. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great Company!

Jun 3, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Remote Friendly! very good company!

Cons

nothing on top of my head right now

Slack Response

Thank you so much for your positive feedback. It makes our day! -Slack

Viewing 1 - 10 of 598 Reviews