SolarCity Interview Questions | Glassdoor

SolarCity Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2018

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SolarCity (Oakland, CA).

Interview

Phone interview that took about 30 minutes. Spoke with a very friendly and professional man, that had obvious years of experience. Made me feel confident in the company and happy to interview. Was turned off by low salary.

Interview Questions

• asked all the usual questions
      -what would make you a good fit
      -what qualities are important in this position
      -weaknesses/strengths   Answer Question

30,000 base pay plus weak commission rates

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SolarCity in September 2014.

Interview

Emailed a resume, got a favorable reply from a recruiter. Was asked to attend a "meet n greet" and did some networking. Found some of the sales managers at the MnG to be helpful; others abrasive. I have years of sales experience in the architecture and design field where product knowledge and being articulate are necessary skills. In addition I am passionate about solar, having taken some elective courses in college out of pure interest. SC was not interested in experience, skill or knowledge; they were/are looking for young, warm bodies that are moldable, energized and willing to take punishing rejection - think telemarketing, but on your feet all day right in front of people.

Interview Questions

• "How do you deal with rejection"   1 Answer

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at SolarCity in September 2014.

Interview

I was recruited by someone on their talent acquisition team. 2 phone interviews and one face to face. The interviews were of a relaxed nature. I really got the feeling that they knew I had the skill set to do the job, but wanted to have a deeper understanding of my values and personality to make sure that I would be a good fit to the corporate culture.

Interview Questions

• Why is renewable energy important to you?   1 Answer
    • How do you plan your day?   1 Answer
    • Why do you think you would be a good fit to Solar City?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at SolarCity (San Diego, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

They have a series of questions targeted at finding naive and gullible sales people. This company wants results and it's a hard market. They expect their sales people to sell their PPA's and solar leases at ridiculous commission structures. Some reps sell 20 - 30 systems per month working 12 hours and only make $100 - $200 off each system; this is thievery! These poor kids don't know how - much they should be getting per sale. Industry standard is $$1,500 - $3,000 per sales. These kids are getting ripped off. If the interview knows you're aware of this, they cut the interview short and move on to the next candidate, hoping they don't know the truth.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at SolarCity (San Francisco, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Talked with recruiter and then with several managers. Interesting concept of building a individual power plant and selling the energy to homeowner. Managers are knowledgeable. Growth has been large with opportunities.

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SolarCity in September 2015.

Interview

Quick phone interview. Very nice recruiter. Mix up on actual job applied for. Looks like they have a lot of turnover. Six people at the interview. Not sure why? Stand at home depot at get leads. Probably only need an HR Rep.

Interview Questions

• What is your understanding of the job? Did take an interview because the job discription changed when I got there.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SolarCity (Columbia, MD) in May 2011.

Interview

I was referred by an employee. Then contacted by a recruiter I had 2 interviews with the recruiter. I took a test online then I was called in for a face to face.

Interview Questions

• What did I know about the company.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, DE

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at SolarCity (Wilmington, DE) in January 2016.

Interview

Very Laid back work atmosphere. Almost too laid back. Trying to figure out if this is a network marketing position or a real sales job. You must generate 2/3 of clients through your personal network each month.

Interview Questions

• 1st question "so who are you?" 2nd "what do you know about solar?"   1 Answer

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at SolarCity (Phoenix, AZ) in October 2011.

Interview

I applied online for the Outside Sales Rep position. I was contacted about 5 days later by the recruiter at the corp HQ in California. The phone interview with the recruiter lasted a half hour and she was very professional asking prying personality/sales experience questions. I answered all very well and remembered to ask for the job. The recruiter then informed me she would be passing me resume on to the local sales manager. I was contacted 1 day later by the local sales manager to arrange for another phone interview however when it was time to speak with him he was to busy and said he wanted to go right to a personal interview with his regional. I arranged a meeting the next week and arrived on time. I then met with the local sales manager and the regional manager at a local office. The interview went well I thought and they both where very polite and outgoing, as they asked a lot of sales scenario questions ( describe your clientel you sold to and how you overcame objections). The only tricky part was when I was asked to role play selling Solar to both of them. You need to study the website throughly as you will be selling them on their company and why your the best sales rep for the position. I found out that this job requires at least 1 weekend day possible two and your only meeting or support is in the 2 hour Monday morning weekly meeting and otherwise your all on your own in the field. At the close of the interview I felt I only had a 30% chance of getting the job as I wasn't experienced in solar sales and might have blown the sales role play excercise. About 3 days later the recruiter sent a personal email stating I did not get the job and they went with another candidate.

Interview Questions

• We are going to role play now, Please sell us on why we should buy a solar system from Solar City   Answer Question
    • Have you ever worked with a minority or diverse set of individuals?   Answer Question

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SolarCity (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2014.

Interview

The preliminary process includes a test assessment (personality), a phone interview, a face to face interview. I just started the process and the phone interview was awesome; several questions were asked so that the recruiter could get to know who I am and how I work.