SolarCity Interview Questions | Glassdoor

SolarCity Interview Questions

Updated Feb 22, 2017

2.6

Field Energy Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at SolarCity.

Interview

The Interview itself wasn't that difficult. As mentioned previously they throw some b.s. statistic about harvard being easier to get in. That obviously isnt true when you look at their company size and harvard's acceptance rates. However, what was very disappointing is their unprofessionalism when it comes to following up. I was promised contact after the interview to let me know if I received the position or not. Unfortunately, I reached out the first time with an email to both of the interviewers...not a single response. I decide to get in touch with the company to track down one of their phone numbers. I call, leave a voicemail...not a single response back. Decide to shoot another email and not a response AGAIN. As a professional in sales and for a company that is supposed to be in sales this is pathetic and highly unprofessional. Absolutely pitiful and I would be ashamed of my team. I had to follow up with everything and they can't even get some courage to return the calls or emails. Unfortunately for them, I will continue to email and call both interviewers until someone gets the courage to respond. I have no problem continuing this for months if necessary and will continuously track down the numbers and emails. Hopefully you can improve your company SolarCity, this is sad.

Software Engineer - Web Applications Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SolarCity.

Interview

Had one initial 15 min interview.

Was later asked to do a face to face video interview for 1.5 hours.

I had 3 back to back 30 min rounds, 2 Front End and 1 Back End.

Interview Questions

• 1st round:
      Was asked Javascript questions, some CSS questions-pretty simple and straightforward.

2nd round:
      Turned out to be my worst nightmare. Interviewer was snooty and just kept boasting about how good he was. Asked me most questions out of context related to BE, inspite of being aware I am not familiar with them and then kept mocking at me throughout the interview

3rd round:
      I was asked regular Javascript and AngularJs questions.

Overall if you are looking for healthy working atmosphere among peers, then this is not the company for you.
      Answer Question

Energy Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Palms, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SolarCity (Thousand Palms, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Recruiter called and asked basic questions. Then met with Regional Supervisor for a 20 minutes q/a and then final interview was with the director (footprint of stockton to coachella valley) the regional manager and the supervisor Torry. For over an hour they shot questions at me, searching for core competencies, and they asked "describe a dissapointing team experience/a bad customer situation/what happens when you get 100 no's/what if you have three days and you book no appointments and get only no's....I sware every question was like this slant. And the others were probing into what I am passionate about in my hobbies (besides friends and family) and what I do with my free time.
    In addition,
     I had to listen to at least 20 combined minutes of dialogue from the sales climb of two of the interviewers whom did nothing but brag about their records, achievements and salaries and ask me "how many people were on the floor at your last sales call center, what pecentage were you at in numbers...can you prove it with trophies/awards/plaques".
    yes...I can dig out my certificates of recognition. Since I did not get hired, why did they have to tell me so much about themselves and ask so many personal questions in a tight locked room....3 gentlemen and 1 lady....me. It was uncomfortable in there as well. and lastly they say "It's harder to get into solarcity than it is to get into harvard"---that's fairly pompous...The company seems legit and cool, but they do not use ethics in solar batteries, and might by draining the sun at an alarming rate, without fair trading with the sun. Powerwall is unethical therefore. Maybe apply to a company that uses science/ wisdom to make sure the sun/earth can handle the solar batteries over a long term with no early death to sun. Maybe hire management that don't waste potential candidates time with probing that is personal and negative.

Interview Questions

• Describe a disappointment when you were on losing team...   1 Answer

Interview

Filled out application for a "Meet the VP" event off the Solarcity website and got a call from a recruiter the next day. Did a short phone interview with the recruiter who set me up with an interview with the local manager few days out. The formal interview was pretty laid back were they mostly wanted to know 1) How well did I handle rejection 2) How competitive I was. The manager was really straightforward in telling me that the position wasn't for someone who doesn't have thick skin. She basically was very honest in letting me know the bar os set pretty high in Solarcity so I knew exactly what I was getting myself into. Overall it was a little scary after hearing the truth, but after hearing it from the horses mouth I was 100% on board. After the formal interview I got a second and final phone (later that evening) interview with another recruiter wanted to know my goals in life and wanted to know what motivates me to drive solar sales. Was called by my initial recruiter the next day with an offer. Over whole process took about less than a week.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Full-time or part-time offer. $30,000 Base (14ish/hr) with additional aggressive commission structure (ability to make an additional $30,000+ on top of base for those motivated enough) on FINAL installations only from leads generated by you at the store.

Vice President of Project Development Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at SolarCity.

Interview

I was recruited by one of Solar City's internal recruiters, who had recognized my deep experience in the commercial solar market. Th recruiter then had set up a phone interview with an executive based out of S.F. I elaborate further on this woman's snarky attitude.

Interview Questions

• If I were hired, what would be my five-year goals with the company?   3 Answers

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at SolarCity (Las Vegas, NV).

Interview

You first get phone screened by a recruiter. Then you meet with a couple of the regional sales managers and you then will have an interview with one of the directors usually.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for SC   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SolarCity in January 2017.

Interview

Most unprofessional interview I've ever had at an established company. I had half of my on sites cancelled right before I arrived thus cutting my interview time in half at the last minute with all the senior people off the list of who I was to meet with before even walking in the building. One interviewer was fine and asked a fair question about functional programming that I was able to answer, though ran out of time before finishing the general (nth) case. This interviewer was new to software from a bootcamp and quite young but made the effort to provide a positive experience. The other two interviewers were terrible. The manager I talked to didn't know what team, what position or what project I was interviewing for, didn't really provide information about himself or try to set a positive tone and was not that enthusiastic or friendly about the company. I felt like I was selling myself for the position rather than the standard practice of having the company tell me why I would want to work there. He was also very young and had not been in software more than 3 years so it is possible he was just inexperienced at interviewing or just has an odd personality type. Finally, I had one last technical question from a software engineer. It was a simple question directly from the first chapter of "Cracking the Coding Interview." But, I messed this up somehow since I was thrown off by his demeanor. He came into the room said, "I already read your resume, so no need to talk. Let's just get to the question." Again, no friendliness or any reasons given why I should go work there; I was looking for that since I bring industry experience and knowledge to the table as well as engineering skills so didn't expect to be in such an uneven power differential. Overall, it was not a pleasant experience and I felt like they were just pushing me through or not actually hiring.

Interview Questions

• What is the worst thing your last teammate could say about you?   Answer Question

Solar Energy Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SolarCity (New York, NY).

Interview

Quick phone interview, really good senior management. The rsm knows what he's doing. I was hired based on a referral so my interview wasn't typical. Typically it's an in person interview with 2 people from upper management.

Design Hotline Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at SolarCity (Las Vegas, NV).

Interview

I first had a phone interview with a recruiter who was pretty much asking basic questions about my previous employment and how it relates to the work we would be doing for this position. Did a mock up phone call over the phone. Then he invited me to group interview the next week. We interviewed with a couple supervisors. Then we interviewed with another set of supervisors. They called me later that day and offered me the position.

IT Support Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at SolarCity (San Mateo, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

1) Applied online for a job found on LinkedIn

2) Was called by Recruiter after 4 weeks to interview for a position applied for, had a phone screen to talk about qualifications on resume.

3) Recruiter then scheduled interviews with managers for a different role without full disclosure to applicant

4) Full job role they were interviewing for became apparent during the interview, but completed the interview as I was probably qualified to do this role as well.

5) Was told they would get back to me after they completed the interview process with all candidates

6) Was sent an e-mail via their workday system that the role I applied for was filled

Interview Questions

• What is your experience in managing Global teams ?   1 Answer