SolarCity Interview Questions | Glassdoor

SolarCity Interview Questions

Updated Apr 26, 2017

2.6

PV Designer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SolarCity.

Interview

There was a test. But it was mainly to test the candidate's thinking process. Then there was the typical interview question session. It was pretty simple. Just review interview questions and you'll be fine.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Facilities Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at SolarCity.

Interview

Quick and to the point, manager at the time was honest about facility. It was very simple but did not have their stuff together at the time. If i had to do it all over again i would not but for those starting out its a good opportunity.

Reassignment Coordinator Interview

Interview

It was a simple interview with 2 heads of two departments. I interviewed initially with a hiring manager over the phone and was suggested for two positions. Both of them had questions related to the position and no surprising questions

Interview Questions

• What kind of experience do you have with customer service.   Answer Question

Customer Care Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at SolarCity (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter who handled everything very quickly. Received confirmation of face to face interview within 12 hours. Met with two interviewers at a wonderful mall location. Interview went great and I felt I would be a fantastic fit there. Brought everything to the table they could possibly need and more. Received notice a few hours later advising I would not get the opportunity. Very disappointed.

Field Energy Consultant- Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethpage, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at SolarCity (Bethpage, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

I had 1 phone interview and 1 in person interview at the Bethpage office. My background is Environmental energy, new business development and sales. One Interviewer looking at his phone throughout, said he had no questions for me and was only there to listen, big yawn time for him. Don't waste your time with this company like I did. I have a background in environmental energy and at the very least I am a potential customer as I want a solar system, battery storage and a plug in vehicle and teuly believe every house should snd will have this in the future, this is our legacy to the next generations but I would NEVER purchase from these self absorbed clowns. Tesla Energy you can do better!!

Field Energy Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at SolarCity.

Interview

The Interview itself wasn't that difficult. As mentioned previously they throw some b.s. statistic about harvard being easier to get in. That obviously isnt true when you look at their company size and harvard's acceptance rates. However, what was very disappointing is their unprofessionalism when it comes to following up. I was promised contact after the interview to let me know if I received the position or not. Unfortunately, I reached out the first time with an email to both of the interviewers...not a single response. I decide to get in touch with the company to track down one of their phone numbers. I call, leave a voicemail...not a single response back. Decide to shoot another email and not a response AGAIN. As a professional in sales and for a company that is supposed to be in sales this is pathetic and highly unprofessional. Absolutely pitiful and I would be ashamed of my team. I had to follow up with everything and they can't even get some courage to return the calls or emails. Unfortunately for them, I will continue to email and call both interviewers until someone gets the courage to respond. I have no problem continuing this for months if necessary and will continuously track down the numbers and emails. Hopefully you can improve your company SolarCity, this is sad.

New Home Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SolarCity (Sacramento, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

To the point, informative, obtained my background & relation, establish a desire to be part of their team and measure out an ability to follow their business model. The interviewer was open and not afraid to answer questions pertaining to compensation and style of sales and responsibilities that will be required.

Interview Questions

• So what about solar energy sales captures your attention?
      Are you comfortable with pure commission compensation?
      Answer Question

Energy Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Palms, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SolarCity (Thousand Palms, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Recruiter called and asked basic questions. Then met with Regional Supervisor for a 20 minutes q/a and then final interview was with the director (footprint of stockton to coachella valley) the regional manager and the supervisor Torry. For over an hour they shot questions at me, searching for core competencies, and they asked "describe a dissapointing team experience/a bad customer situation/what happens when you get 100 no's/what if you have three days and you book no appointments and get only no's....I sware every question was like this slant. And the others were probing into what I am passionate about in my hobbies (besides friends and family) and what I do with my free time.
    In addition,
     I had to listen to at least 20 combined minutes of dialogue from the sales climb of two of the interviewers whom did nothing but brag about their records, achievements and salaries and ask me "how many people were on the floor at your last sales call center, what pecentage were you at in numbers...can you prove it with trophies/awards/plaques".
    yes...I can dig out my certificates of recognition. Since I did not get hired, why did they have to tell me so much about themselves and ask so many personal questions in a tight locked room....3 gentlemen and 1 lady....me. It was uncomfortable in there as well. and lastly they say "It's harder to get into solarcity than it is to get into harvard"---that's fairly pompous...The company seems legit and cool, but they do not use ethics in solar batteries, and might by draining the sun at an alarming rate, without fair trading with the sun. Powerwall is unethical therefore. Maybe apply to a company that uses science/ wisdom to make sure the sun/earth can handle the solar batteries over a long term with no early death to sun. Maybe hire management that don't waste potential candidates time with probing that is personal and negative.

Interview Questions

• Describe a disappointment when you were on losing team...   1 Answer

Software Engineer - Web Applications Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SolarCity.

Interview

Had one initial 15 min interview.

Was later asked to do a face to face video interview for 1.5 hours.

I had 3 back to back 30 min rounds, 2 Front End and 1 Back End.

Interview Questions

• 1st round:
      Was asked Javascript questions, some CSS questions-pretty simple and straightforward.

2nd round:
      Turned out to be my worst nightmare. Interviewer was snooty and just kept boasting about how good he was. Asked me most questions out of context related to BE, inspite of being aware I am not familiar with them and then kept mocking at me throughout the interview

3rd round:
      I was asked regular Javascript and AngularJs questions.

Overall if you are looking for healthy working atmosphere among peers, then this is not the company for you.
      Answer Question

Interview

Filled out application for a "Meet the VP" event off the Solarcity website and got a call from a recruiter the next day. Did a short phone interview with the recruiter who set me up with an interview with the local manager few days out. The formal interview was pretty laid back were they mostly wanted to know 1) How well did I handle rejection 2) How competitive I was. The manager was really straightforward in telling me that the position wasn't for someone who doesn't have thick skin. She basically was very honest in letting me know the bar os set pretty high in Solarcity so I knew exactly what I was getting myself into. Overall it was a little scary after hearing the truth, but after hearing it from the horses mouth I was 100% on board. After the formal interview I got a second and final phone (later that evening) interview with another recruiter wanted to know my goals in life and wanted to know what motivates me to drive solar sales. Was called by my initial recruiter the next day with an offer. Over whole process took about less than a week.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Full-time or part-time offer. $30,000 Base (14ish/hr) with additional aggressive commission structure (ability to make an additional $30,000+ on top of base for those motivated enough) on FINAL installations only from leads generated by you at the store.