Sony Music Entertainment Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 11, 2017

2.6

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Sony Music Entertainment (New York, NY).

Interview

Overly pre-qualifying for someone who'd been with the company since 1999. 2 interviews with talent managers before interviewing with the hiring manager. Focus was on agreeing to a salary limit before discussing details of the particular job with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work for a maximum limit of $XX   2 Answers
    • Will you complete a marketing plan on a specific project?   1 Answer

Legal Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Sony Music Entertainment (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online through my school and was contacted within a few weeks.
    The interview process was rather ordinary. Very simple. I was lucky enough to be interviewed by my soon to be superior as well, which was nice.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sony Music Entertainment (Nashville, TN) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was emailed by the supervisor for the department I had entered as my top choice in my application. We set up a time for me to go to the office for an interview.

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sony Music Entertainment.

Interview

First phone screening with a HR staff. He wasn't responsive , only waited for me to answer the questions. So I don't know how much should I say. But my research helped so you should prepare some knowledge about the company

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sony Music Entertainment.

Interview

I applied online and a few weeks later someone from HR reached out to me to set up a phone interview with the hiring manager. The process was a little bit slow, but overall good experience. People were very nice.

Attorney Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sony Music Entertainment in October 2016.

Interview

I applied to this position online. Within a few days I was contacted by an in-house recruiting agent/talent specialist to schedule a phone interview with me. However, she never called me at the designated time. She also never responded to emails seeking to reschedule. I did not expect a company of this stature to be this unprofessional.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sony Music Entertainment (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

I had an extremely positive interview experience with SME. I participated in a brief initial phone conversation with HR as well as two in-person interviews. Everyone I met with was very transparent about the expectations for the position. I rarely see such healthy department dynamics in corporate environments (especially in the music industry), and I genuinely enjoyed speaking with various members of the team. Of the companies I was interviewing with, this was the best experience and turnaround.

Copyright Administrator Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sony Music Entertainment (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

Have been applying for a bunch of different positions on the SME portal for some time. HR reached out a few days after a new position opened up to see what pay I would accept. We scheduled an in person interview for the next week. Upon arrival, interviewer and supervisor couldn't find an unlocked office to interview in. We walked around in circles asking employees for 15+ minutes before security got a key and opened a room. Short interview, when I asked questions about parts of the job description she hadn't mentioned, she told me that wasn't part of the job. I proceeded to take out a printed version of her description and showed it to her, and she apologized and "didn't remember even posting that." Wouldn't give me a concrete timeline or pay rate on the hiring process. When i asked their opinion of the future of Sony, there was a very "we are doing the best we can" attitude on digital rights and the future of music. Proceeded to follow up professionally and HR called to suggest not to follow up internally. Fair enough. Waited a week and a half before following up again and was immediately (within 3 minutes) called back and told they had decided to move on. Granted, I had used the word "Royalty" instead of "Copyright" in my follow up email about the position, but it was an honest mistake as I am waiting on multiple positions. Very petty. Based on my personal experience, coupled with the experience from other glassdoor reviews, SME seems like a very fragmented and disorganized music corporation that holds a generally "stressed" work environment, presumably because their functionality of keeping up with music rights is ineffective.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sony Music Entertainment (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by HR via email and scheduled for a phone screener. After the phone screener, I was invited to the office to meet the team. The entire interview experience lasted 2 hours and for the most part, the interviews were conversational. Within a few days, the hiring VP called to advise that I was out of the runnings.

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sony Music Entertainment (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Long 3 months...TWICE! I have been called twice different years to apply for a job here. Both times very similar jobs but twice the procedure is so long, questions are nonsense that I go through the process but know i will not accept, just to keep my skills sharp. A company that takes so long only is an indication of how much red tape they have. Not for me

Interview Questions

• It was itense, many questions that had little to do with the industry or the market. More of a "let see if you are smart" example question: what would make you jump infront of a train?...WHAT?   Answer Question