Sotheby's Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 6, 2017

2.7

Human Resources Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sotheby's (New York, NY).

Interview

Within ten days of applying I received a call saying they'd like me to come in for an interview on the following day. I had to wait until the end of the day to get a formal email confirmation. I would up following up with them around 5pm to get the confirmation. Normally I would have seen that as being rushed, but considering how hard I was job hunting I took the next day off and went in. The person I met with was virtually a recruiter. The interview was really an equivalent to the HR phone screen that normally comes first. They decided they wanted me to meet with one more person, and about five minutes in we were asked to leave the room because someone else had the room reserved. The interview ended there. I heard back from them the following week saying they wanted me to come in for a second round. We scheduled for a few days from then. Then they emailed me again saying that they wanted me to come in the following day instead. I told them that didn't work for me, and had to follow up twice over the course of two days to get them to confirm my original time was still OK and to get a formal email confirmation telling me who I was meeting. During that second interview I met three people and took two tests. The first person I met complained about their work, the second person consistently talked over me and her colleague and the third person only asked me one negative question. I met with the second and third person simultaneously. They also started late making me waiting approximately 15 minutes, and I heard them scolding the acquisition coordinator for not making the appointment more convenient for them. The tests comprised of an excel test that required filtering data and conditional formatting and writing six letters; one congratulatory letter saying someone got the job and five rejection emails. This was all done on a Mac. Microsoft Office is very different on a Mac and I didn't see any Macs in the office so I found this odd. I was told on my way out that if they all liked me I'd have to come in a third time. I was not impressed by the people and was going to write an email to take me out of the running, but got busy working on negotiating an offer I did receive from a different company. I never heard from Sotheby's one way or the other.

Interview Questions

• Tell me the exact address and landmarks of multiple retail locations of the company you currently work for.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a little about yourself.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sotheby's.

Interview

My interview was conducted via Skype and lasted approximately 30 minutes. It was personable and relatively straightforward, and the women with whom I spoke was eager to explain different facets of work life at Sotheby's.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working in an auction house?   Answer Question

Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sotheby's in February 2017.

Interview

Over the phone interview although we tried to Skype initially but the connection was too poor. Interviewer was very friendly, covered all the standard questions. Lasted about 30 minutes. The HR interviewer said they would be conducting interviews for several more weeks. An overall pleasant experience.

Instructional Designer Interview

Interview

I received an email tell me to come for the interview. I met with the HR first and then with the Director. The interview did not last long. The interview process was conducted in a private meeting room. I did not receive notice for the second round.

Floater Interview

Interview

was called in after sending in my resume to HR. The Interview was typical, what is your experience in the auction world, why do you want to work here, etc. Was with two people from the Fine Arts department, and they were very kind and cordial. The Interview only lasted about 25 minutes tops.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite museum show you've see, how do you deal with clients   Answer Question

Floater Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Sotheby's.

Interview

The hiring manager repeatedly interrupted me, looked all around the room while I spoke and rarely made eye contact. It seemed like some kind of intimidation tactic (and it worked). Deeply unpleasant.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sotheby's.

Interview

The interview was conducted over Skype and it was a fairly quick process. You'd hear from them in a couple of days regarding your decision. The person interviewing was very enthusiastic and genuinely want to get to know more about you. Interview questions were all behavioral asking for strength, weakness, the usual questions.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sotheby's (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

I was referred to HR by a contact, interviewed with HR, and then did a second interview with people working in the department I was eventually placed in. Overall the process was straightforward, and all of my interviewers very nice and engaging.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sotheby's (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

Initial interview was called an "exploratory interview". It was an extremely straight forward interview. My interviewer described a bit about Sotheby's as a business, as well as her position at the company. We then walked through my resume and she asked a few questions looking specifically at what I studied in school and the internships I previously had, and further, how these would pertain to a position at Sotheby's. She didn't ask any situational or behavioral questions. Main question was "Why Sotheby's?"

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Sotheby's.

Interview

skype interview, they ask a lot of behavioral interview questions. why sothebys, why your college, what makes you a good candidate. after skype they dont give a call back for a while takes a long time