Spencer Gifts Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Spencer Gifts Interview Questions

Updated May 10, 2017

2.0

Anonymous Employee in Erie, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Spencer Gifts (Erie, PA).

Interview

a brief interview with the store manager and DSM. They asked about previous experiences, but did not detail the job nor the duties that would be expected outside of stating it was a standard management type position. There is no Profit or Loss given to management as the company seeks to keep the real numbers hidden from the staff. You are asked to complete loads of work with little or no payroll to complete it with.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you were asked to do something you were not comfortable with?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you received a grade or a review on something that you disagreed with?   Answer Question
    • What do you think would make you a good fit for Spencer's gifts?   Answer Question
    • Would you feel comfortable answering questions or selling sexual items to guests?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a small amount more than what they initially offered

Corporate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Egg Harbor Township, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Spencer Gifts (Egg Harbor Township, NJ).

Interview

Several months with a lot of silence in between. Several phone screens and in person interviews. Never any follow up after the final interviews. After someone has invested 12 hrs. plus of interview time the least you could do is send an email. Extremely unprofessional process and recruiting. Actual interview questions were fairly basic and asked over and over again by different people. For such a progressive product line the corporate office seemed very old school with very traditional style management. The people seemed nice enough but clearly there are some concerns.

Interview Questions

• Have you been in one of our stores recently? Which one? Describe the experience.
      Where do you want to be in five years?
      Why do you want to work for us?
      Tell me about your work history.
      What do you like to do in your spare time?
      Answer Question

Spencer Gifts Response

Oct 23, 2016 – Senior Vice President, Human Resources

As we continue to grow as a company, creating a great candidate experience is vitally important to our team and our brand. As your experience is not reflective of the experience we strive to create ... More

Assistant Manager Interview

Interview

I met with the District Manager. It was a fairly informal meeting. I was referred by another store manager in the mall, so that may be why it was so informal. The store I was at, where I held the same position, was closing. The District Manager was very pleasant.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Spencer Gifts.

Interview

Was very friendly and informative. Was able to ask all the questions I had. Asked various questions about my previous employers and what I would do in specific situations. Over all was a very easy interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal if one of the employees left the store a mess the night before and you're the one that opened the store that day?   1 Answer

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fayetteville, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Spencer Gifts (Fayetteville, NC) in September 2016.

Interview

The hiring process was very quick. I got a call for an interview months after I put in an application. The interview was quick and the questions were a bit hard. I was nervous and the manager could tell but I still got hired on the spot. I was in the store within the next week or two.

Interview Questions

• What do you think the punishment should be if an employee was caught stealing?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Spencer Gifts (Bloomington, MN) in September 2016.

Interview

First interviewed with the District Manager and then completed a phone interview with the Loss Prevention department as well as the Regional Manager. The process was completed over a few days. All of my questions were answered up front and completely. It was a great experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leominster, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Spencer Gifts (Leominster, MA).

Interview

I was called for an interview about 2 months after applying. I was taken to the back room for the interview. The interviewer seemed kind of uninterested. There were a lot of questions, a few easy some you had to really thing about.The interviewer didn't ask if I had any questions, and it was pretty laid back other than the questions. She was talking to me like I already had the job, then mentioned she had other interviews later on in the day. Overall it was an okay experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a good customer service experience? What about that experience made it stand out?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Traverse City, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Spencer Gifts (Traverse City, MI) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied online. They need your FULL job history on the application. After a week or so I was called in for an interview. Interview lasted around 2 hours in the back room of the store with the store manager. Interviewer has a packet of questions they go over with you, it is very extensive.

Interview Questions

• Would you be comfortable selling all of our products in the store? Love items (sex toys), leaf items (marijuana items).   1 Answer
    • Past job experience?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about merchandise display?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Spencer Gifts (Lansing, MI).

Interview

The interview was informal and quick. The woman I spoke to was pleasant and straight forward. She asked if i was able to lift and carry up to 30 lbs and if i could stand and walk for longer periods. She asked about my creativity and intrest in people. Overall a standard retail interview.

Interview Questions

• Do you feel comfortable selling adult products and discussing them with customers?   1 Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Spencer Gifts.

Interview

Applied online through their website. After about a week I got a call from a General Manager.

It was a fairly straight forward interview until the end. At first I was just asked about my previous job experiences and duties. There was some brief conversation about the differences of my brick and mortar retail management experience vs mall store management.

At one point near the end of the interview the GM started to insult my work history and experience, it was really odd and unprofessional especially after they seemed excited for my background. An example would be if I were talking about duties I was involved with, and they would go "You weren't doing that, you were only a..." and I would respond with "Well, I guess in some places that might be the case, but at so-and-so it was part of my regular duties." This seemed to be the theme of the second half of the interview, I say one thing, they say I wasn't doing that.

They also seemed to get really defensive about the type of merchandise that Spencers sells.

It kind of felt like I did or said something wrong, and the interviewer went hostile towards me. I can't really think of anything bad that I said or did beyond defending myself when questioned. I kept a polite tone the entire time.

I was told they would be interviewing a few more people, and that a District Manager would be following up for a second interview. That second interview never happened. After the experience with the first interview, I can only imagine that I dodged a bullet by not being hired.

Interview Questions

• Have you worked in a mall store before?   1 Answer