Spirit AeroSystems Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 13, 2017

2.6

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Spirit AeroSystems (Pittsburgh, PA) in December 2017.

Interview

Contacted by HR to set up interview with hiring manager. Was called promptly at the described time and was asked a few basic behavioral questions. Interviewer was not engaging at all initially, but was more so as the interview progressed.

Interview Questions

• Why work at Spirit Aerosystems?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you've worked in a group, and the difficulties and successes you've had.   Answer Question
    • What are some of the relevant coursework you've taken to prepare you for the position.   Answer Question
    • How are you involved with the community outside of classwork.   Answer Question

QA Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Spirit AeroSystems.

Interview

I applied, told a few managers who have seen how hard I worked, was interviewed for the position after almost a year of waiting. They actually forgot they actually put job up.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a Quality Inspector.   1 Answer

Materials & Process Metals Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Spirit AeroSystems (Wichita, KS) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied online in September and was contacted three weeks later by one of their recruiters to set up a phone interview with the hiring manager. That phone call began with discussions of my metallurgical background, including grad school projects and work history. Then he asked numerous questions to gauge my knowledge of the specific alloy systems and processing techniques involved in this position. My knowledge was limited, but I attempted to show how my past experiences in applied research would be analogous to the work I would be doing for Spirit AeroSystems and that in earlier positions I had also quickly gained proficiency in unfamiliar alloy systems and processing methods.

A couple weeks later I was contacted by the recruiter again to set up a face-to-face interview. They really wanted to get me in before the end of October, but I didn't have any availability. Eventually the interview was scheduled and I flew out to Wichita. (The travel arrangements and reimbursement was through a third party and could not have gone more smoothly.) I was never provided with an itinerary, but the recruiter had scheduled four hours for the interview. The first meeting was at Spirit's employment office and included the hiring manager, his boss, and a senior engineer in the group. (A fourth person was mentioned, but never showed up.) I asked about the itinerary and they said there really wasn't one, and oh shoot maybe we should take you to lunch at some point since this is supposed to go from 10:30 to 2:30. Before I could speak up to say I had eaten something beforehand since I didn't want to assume lunch would be included, they discussed amongst themselves which of them might be available for lunch. Tentative plans were made and forgotten about.

The hiring manager's boss began with a series of questions that HR required him to ask, although he skipped many of them. These were typical situational questions, and I used them as a springboard to describe past research projects in some detail as a way of demonstrating my technical abilities. He asked some other questions of his own, and one that stood out was related to how I keep data and results organized, leading to his stating that in this role it's important to keep PowerPoint slides up to date because executives would occasionally call upon me to present updates to them with only a few hours' notice. Okay! Another eyebrow-raiser was his telling me that he had previously worked for a company not far from my hometown, and that he regretted leaving.

Then it was the hiring manager's turn to ask questions, and he went right back to testing my knowledge. I thought we had already established on the phone that these alloys and processing methods would be new to me, but that's where he went. I explained how I would approach the scenarios he presented, but I could tell he wanted more than that. He seemed to be mired in the weeds of aluminum alloy joining technology, and though his boss tried to steer him back towards probing my abilities, he didn't know how to take that step back.

Then I was given an opportunity ask them questions, and I had several. Through this hour-long discussion I had gotten the impression that Spirit AeroSystems was sort of a miserable place to work, and so for my last question I asked what they liked about working there. Each of them mentioned "opportunities" to work on the kind of projects they wanted to work on, that it's easy to get around in Wichita, and not much else. Not very inspiring.

The senior engineer then drove me to the plant, where it took at least twenty minutes to get authorization for me to enter because they had neglected to put in the request beforehand. We walked around this enormous plant where airliner fuselages were being assembled, and it was quite impressive...although I can't imagine I would have spent much time there in this role. (Also, not to knock the company in every way I can think of, but I was surprised how lax safety was compared to my previous employer. Designated walkways actually seemed to be dedicated to storage, I watched two small industrial vehicles almost collide at a blind corner, and there were slip/trip hazards everywhere.)

Then he drove me back to my rental car and that was it. The interview was over just two hours after it had started. I was taken aback. I suppose it's possible that the hiring manager had already decided not to hire me and so whatever might have been planned to follow the plant tour was scrapped, but I think the three-on-one meeting and the plant tour was all they intended to do from the start. All I could do was chuckle as I drove back to the hotel to change out of my suit. I drove to a restaurant for lunch and spent the rest of the day exploring Wichita, which actually does seem like a decent place to live. The amenities are probably typical of a metro area with 600,000+ people.

Capacity Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Spirit AeroSystems.

Interview

application filled out online from company website. received phone call to schedule interview. interviewed with hiring manager & received phone call from recruiting with an offer immediately afterward. received email instructions to for drug test and background check. after those cleared, confirmed start date by email. entire process took less than 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• describe a capacity planning project you were in involved in.   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Spirit AeroSystems (Wichita, KS) in July 2017.

Interview

Interviewed with two different managers. They were seeking specific skills they saw in my resume. Interview process was low stress and fairly straight forward. I think they had already decided to make an offer before the interview and were waiting for the results of the interview to decide which of the 2 groups I would fit best in.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time a time when you encountered a difficult situation and how you handled it   Answer Question

Ndt Technician Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Spirit AeroSystems.

Interview

Applied one day and about 14 days later was called for an interview. Interview went okay, the questions were common, and there was two people. They were both very nice. This was my first "real" interview and I think they could tell and seemed very understanding. The interview lasted 45 minutes and toward the end the level 3 asked me some questions about NDT theory. Will update if I receive an offer. They said it can take up to 30 days with background checks.

Interview Questions

• What are you strengths and weaknesses?   1 Answer
    • What do you think your current boss would say your strengths and weaknesses are?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer
    • What can you offer Spirit that others cannot?   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Spirit AeroSystems in January 2017.

Interview

Very slow and not very well organized in my opinion. First interview was with a hr (I'm assuming) rep. Then was a group interview with a few managers over the phone.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle a problem when you are not given enough time or resources?   Answer Question

From what I gathered, it didn't seem like a great place to work.

Industrial Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Spirit AeroSystems (Wichita, KS) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online and within 24 hours was invited for phone screen. Phone screen was non-technical, mostly verifying information on resume, current compensation and desired compensation.
     Next step was the on-site interview with hiring manager and another manager. Questions were asked expecting SAR response on topics such as CI, RCCA, technical specs and project management.

Interview Questions

• Describe a continuous improvement project. What was your role? Please provide content in SAR format.   1 Answer

Supply Chain Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Spirit AeroSystems in January 2017.

Interview

Applied for job in December, phone interview in January, offered position about a week after phone interview. Very easygoing, only about 30 min phone interview, interviewed by former intern supervisor. Mostly behavioral questions, why would you be good at this job, etc.

Inspection Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Spirit AeroSystems (Wichita, KS).

Interview

Went to a job fair. Very long lines, high demand. Went through several steps. Make sure if you get an offer to see if they will counter offer a higher wage. I wish I would have. They always lowball.