Square Root Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Square Root Interview Questions

Updated Apr 18, 2017

3.8

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Square Root.

Interview

Applied through a job board and they got back to me within a week. Generic behavioral interview. However, the interviewer had a bad attitude and was incredibly rude. She stopped me mid-sentence and said, "So, Square Root isn't important to you, correct?" I was shocked as to what led her to believe that and why she would say something like that so I told her no (as in, that's incorrect), why I really wanted to be a part of the company, and apologized multiple times if I came off that way and she proceeded to call me sassy which was completely unprofessional and uncalled for. I was speechless. After that incident, I felt like there was no way for me to recover and I was destined to do poorly. Then, she would ask a question but not pay attention to my answer and asked, "Wait, what did you say?" Overall, she was really unprofessional and it gave me a bad impression of the company. The recruiter or interviewer is often the first person from the company the applicant is exposed to. I understand that sometimes the interviewer will ask these types of questions to gauge response. The recruiter/interviewer should be welcoming, professional, and embody the culture of the company (even if the applicant gets rejected, the applicant would still have a good impression of the company). However, I didn't get that from her and automatically knew I didn't want to work there.

Interview Questions

Square Root Response

May 17, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Hi, Thanks for sharing your feedback. We hate that you had a negative experience. Part of our process is to chat with candidates early on to get a feel for whether they’re both interested and a fit... More

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Square Root.

Interview

Two phone interviews, first with an HR person then with the hiring manager. The phone interview was very easy and straight forward, they just wanted to make sure I had the skills required for the job. The interview with the hiring manager was much more specific. She asked about my experience with certain tools, even though this was an entry level position. They told me the reasons I was not picked for the job, which was that it seemed to them I was more excited about the possibility of moving to Austin than the actual job.

Office Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Square Root in November 2014.

Interview

The hiring manager reached out for a phone interview within 48 hours of applying. I had a phone screen, two on-site interviews and an offer within 2 weeks. I met with 5 people in total including the CEO. Each person was from a different department and had their own take on what the role would be. This was a little confusing, but was helpful to know once I started in the role. Each interview was about 45 minutes to an hour. The interview questions consisted of various scenarios where I had to answer with detail on how I would tackle each and what relevant experience I would bring. There was also a culture interview aspect to find out my communication style, problem solving abilities, and if I would thrive in a start-up (slightly chaotic) environment. Everyone was welcoming, friendly and proud of their work, culture and company. After being in that energy, I had to accept the offer!

Interview Questions

• I was asked to describe what I thought Square Root did; so research before the interview is key!   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer was more than what I was looking for so there was no need to negotiate.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Square Root (Austin, TX) in July 2014.

Interview

I was referred by staffing agency and they scheduled phone interview with me. After having phone interview for 45 minutes, Interviewer was very impressed as I answered all the questions correct. He complimented me and gave me hope directly about having knowledge of multiple skills. Next day I got email from my staffing agency that I was rejected for this position. I am not sure what they looking for. I was upset for the fact that they were dishonest and giving false hope to job seekers.

Interview Questions

Square Root Response

Nov 4, 2014 – Recruiting Manager

We apologize that you had negative experience with us. I’d love to discuss this in more detail with you. Please e-mail me at work(at)square(hyphen)root(dot)com and we’ll set-up a time to chat... More

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Square Root (Austin, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

First there was a phone screen for about 30 min. Followed by a home work assignment. They provided a fairly large fudged data set to analyze and provide some insights regarding top business in the set. Large amount of latitude was provided in technology used, methods employed and performance criteria used. Third was a in person interview where multiple people interviewed singly and in panels. Interview questions were interesting and reasonable predictors of success at the company.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any difficult questions. Folks were nice about the whole process, though the process lasted quite a while (over 4 weeks).   1 Answer

Data Management Guru Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I interviewed at Square Root (Austin, TX) in February 2012.

Interview

There were three phases to the interview process. The first was a very informal meeting in a group setting. The second was a series of interviews with key people in the company and on the team. The third was a fairly real world weekend assignment--open ended, yet a good indicator of what kind of work to expect, both from me and from Oceanus.

Throughout the process I continued to develop a good sense of the company's positive, engaging, and collaborative atmosphere and how I might fit in with it. The interviews were conversational, yet focused. Overall, I came out of the process with a great impression of the company.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was the one I liked the most--a customized weekend homework assignment. I wish this was a more common practice, when applicable. Told not to spend too much time on it, it was intended to be a quick barometer of how my experience translated into their environment beyond interview questions. From my perspective it also helped assure me that my own experience translated as well.   Answer Question

My current company proposed an unexpected, substantial counter.