Squarespace Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 10, 2017

1. Featured Interview

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Squarespace (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Process was one of the best I've experienced. Both recruiters I spoke with were always available to answer questions, and kept me well informed as to what I could expect. From what I'm told, the process is the same for interns as it is for full time employees (albeit, the question difficulty is adjusted).

The structure is roughly as follows:

1) 1-2 technical phone screens with a member of the team (~ 45min in length.)
    2) On-site interview where you can expect about four interviews (~ 1hr in length), some group and some 1:1. You have a break between where you get to join the team for lunch (it is catered every day and was very tasty!). The on-site concludes with a short feedback session with your recruiter, which I think is something more companies should include in their hiring process.

Interview Questions

• Standard CTCI type programming questions, as well as some systems and design questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation for interns, but the offer was already very competitive and on par with what the Big 5 pay their interns, so no complaints!

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

One hour phone coding challenge followed by six hour onsite comprised of five 1:1 interviews and lunch with four engineers. The office space is stunning and the people were nice. There is a definite Williamsburg hipster vibe to the place.

One interview was whiteboard algorithms, another was whiteboard system design, the other three were chatting about technology and behavioral questions.

I was rejected due to the white boarding algo which was surprising because we only did it for a rushed 25 minutes and I was on the right track with both problems. Given that I was rejected due to the first interview in a six hour cycle, I wish they would have just short circuited the interview and not wasted my time.

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Squarespace (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

4 steps in the interview, first one was a meetup in person we talked about the company and all the technologies they use an everything. second step was a phone call with the recruiter, next step was a home assignment it was to build a web snake game in 3 hours, then I passed to the next step which was a technical test with an engineer.

Interview Questions

• the last part of the interview was to create 2 functions , one to convert a number to a Romaine number and the other one is to convert from Romaine to numeric   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Squarespace in June 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Got response from recruiter within few days. Got a link to a HackerRank question. It was easy. Answered it with O(n), low memory overhead. Was asked for my opinion of test and told I'd be gotten back to. I answered that it was very easy, and asked for something harder next time. They said they appreciated the feedback and after never contacted me again.

Interview Questions

• Print a 2d array of characters in a spiral.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Squarespace in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online. A recruiter called me to set up a quick phone chat. This conversation was enjoyable and got me more excited to potentially work at Squarespace. A technical interview was set up with one of the software engineers. The position was for Software Engineer on the Data Pipelines team.

The interview was conducted over Google hangout. There were a few generic questions like describe what happens when you enter a url in to the browser. The interviewer said half of his interview was for SQL stuff and the other half for coding stuff. I outright told him I am not comfortable with SQL so he only asked me the python stuff. It was fairly easy but also weirdly specific. He asked me to write a python decorator. Which to be honest I don't find to be a good interview question. Do you really expect candidates to know how to write python decorators?

After my interview I was asked to continue through their process for a second technical screen focused more on software engineering stuff. But I did not enjoy my conversation with the first interviewer so I decided not to move forward.

Interview Questions

• Describe what happens when you type a url in the browser and hit enter til you see the page.   Answer Question
    • What are the different types of joins?   Answer Question
    • Write a python decorator that memoizes an integer adding function   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Interview

Very odd. It was through a website that video tapes you. It was not personal and an interview should let the interviewee get to know the company and employees better rather than it just being onesided with a one minute video of you answering a question.

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Squarespace.

Interview

Editing test, phone screen, in-person interview. They told me they were waiting for more candidates before making a decision. Received an offer from another company, so I asked if they had come to a decision a few weeks later. Got an email saying they weren't interested. I guess I'd rather know if I'm rejected straight up instead of waiting to be rejected.

Interview Questions

• They asked how I would improve their documentation...this felt a bit like an unpaid consultation.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Squarespace (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied to a position online then got contacted by HR to schedule a 1 hour technical interview. Then I got scheduled for the 1 hour technical interview and I am summarizing my experience below.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer asked me how the hashMap works and about the complexity of hashMap then he tried to disagree to see what I will say until we settled the dispute when I couldn't understand what he was trying to get at.   Answer Question
    • It was a coding session using code.io. The question was about checking if a binary tree was balanced. I coded it with a recursive solution and it compiled and ran. He asked about the complexity, I said it O(n) then corrected myself and said O(n^2), he disagreed and said it's even more O(n^2) because you will call the function every time which by definition means n^2, I let it go and said ok. Then I got an email saying that I wasn't selected for the position   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Squarespace (New York, NY).

Interview

They sent me a Hackerrank Coding Challenge. After I finished this online test, I received an email and scheduled for a Phone interview. Their recruiting team is very nice and helpful.

Interview Questions

• 1. Background and relevant experience
      2. How their pricing model could be improved to increase customer retention based on life time value?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Squarespace (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online and heard back fairly quickly. First part was a simple coding challenge (1 hr time limit). Then I spoke with a recruiter and there was another online challenge (1 week time limit). Afterwards they flew me out to their NYC office and I had a whole day of interviews. All the questions were on coding and system design. This was one of the best interview processes I've ever been through and I learned a lot about myself. Squarespace just wants to hire people who write clean code

Interview Questions

• Print out a spiral matrix;
      Calculate the 90th percentile with lots of input;
      Design a food delivery system (like door dash, grub hub, etc);
      Design a java class ;
      Given a list of to and from destinations, find the starting destination;   Answer Question

People Team Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Squarespace (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

Very organized and efficient interview process. I applied directly on the careers page, was reached out to via e-mail by the hiring manager to set up a phone conversation. After the phone conversation I was asked to come on-site and meet 3 people on the team. I also completed a case study on a white board and got a tour of the beautiful office. The final stage was to come back into the office to meet additional members of the team. A few days later I was called and offered the position.