Stack Overflow Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Stack Overflow Interview Questions

Updated Sep 19, 2017

3.4

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stack Overflow.

Interview

Five fully-remote interviews over a 6 week period. Each interview was very difficult, but each interviewer was very professional and took the time to help me through answers when my immediate reaction was "I don't know".

The interview questions were pretty difficult and very in depth, but when you get stuck they tended to give you some ideas to point you in the right direction.

You need to be able to pass a programming test to get a job offer as well. Some of the solutions were easy, some of them were more complicated - but nothing even close to as difficult as what you read the senior developers go through.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Stack Overflow (New York, NY).

Interview

1. Recruiter phone screen
    2. Complete a short assignment (this depends on the role you're applying for)
    3. Have an informal, on-site lunch with 2-3 employees
    4. 1 or 2 interviews with team members
    5. Hiring manager interview

The process from start to finish was probably a month or 2. I came into the office twice- once for my first round of interviews and then again to do my final round with the CEO. You should expect to take a full day off from work (or maybe 2) to complete the interviews.

The process itself was thorough. Don't expect to breeze through the interviews - Stack doesn't hire just anyone. I wasn't asked any of the dreadful brainteasers or trick questions and was treated with the utmost respect by everyone I met. I left the interview feeling good, and knew that if I didn't get the job, at least I had a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• I was asked specific questions about projects I worked on in previous jobs/listed on my resume.   Answer Question

Apr 11, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience!

Regional Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Stack Overflow (Denver, CO) in November 2016.

Interview

Whirlwind process. I was contacted immediately after messaging one of the executives about the position. After a brief phone interview, I was asked if I could interview that same afternoon/evening on-site with the hiring manager. It was a tight squeeze (especially considering traffic in the business district), but we made it work.

However, after the in-person interview--which was so-so as far as quality of interviews go--I never heard again from either the recruiter or the hiring manager (or anyone on her team). I can only assume the role went to someone else, but some follow up and/or closure would have been nice, as it's really the least a candidate can expect when he or she makes every effort to accommodate the company's interview schedule.

Interview Questions

• Pretty standard interview questions asking why I left my previous position, what I was looking for in a job/company culture, and what strengths I brought to the table.   Answer Question

Jan 23, 2017 – Recruiter

I am really sorry that you had a negative experience interviewing here at Stack Overflow. We try our best to ensure quite the opposite, but sometimes things do fall through the cracks... I apologize... More

User Experience Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Stack Overflow in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online and received an email from a recruiter about a week later. Had a 30 minute screener call with recruiter, 60 minute panel interview with hiring manager, and 60 minute interview with an executive. Recruiter was absolutely fantastic in helping me understand where I was in the process and what to expect next. I didn't advance to the final round of interviews (research exercise and interview with another executive), but really appreciated the feedback and courtesy that was shown.

Interview Questions

• Can you walk me through what you would do next in this hypothetical research challenge (related to sign-ups conversion and A/B testing)? Do you think that segmentation or personas are an absolute need? What are some negatives/cons to the practice of creating personas or segmentation?   Answer Question

Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Stack Overflow (Denver, CO) in July 2016.

Interview

I was very impressed at how expedient the entire process was. I applied and within a week I was contacted and scheduled a phone screen the next day. Prior to the actual interviews they have you take two tests to examine basic competence. One is basic grammar and the other is basic math. You also have to write an example email so they can have some insight into how you will conduct your cold emails/calls.

Two days later we scheduled the next three rounds of interviewing. I applied from outside of Denver, so the interviews were conducted via Google Hangouts. The first one is with current employees to see if you'll be a good fit. The second one is with a higher level executive, and the final one is with the hiring manager at Denver. I had a very pleasant experience with all of the people I spoke to. You can tell they really have a great culture and the interview process is in-depth to make sure you'll fit in.

I ultimately did not receive an offer after all the rounds, but it was a great experience.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stack Overflow (New York, NY).

Interview

I had a phone interview first, then a week later went to their offices to take a test. Next step was meeting with 3 to 4 different people for interviews. On site interviews took about 2 and a half hours. Great people and you can tell they really care about the company.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stack Overflow (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Stack's interview process is rigorous to say the least. I had a phone interview with Karen, the amazing recruiter, and then I came in for my first in person interviews and a test. I took the exam first, which took about an hour, then I met with my potential coworker for an hour, and then my potential boss and the head of HR for a half hour each. After that, I was scheduled to return a few days later for a lunch interview with 3 execs. A few days after that I returned for my final meeting with the CFO.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe your workflow/How best do you "get stuff done?"   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Stack Overflow (Denver, CO) in March 2016.

Interview

The company describes the process as extensive. Which is true. It includes:

1. Phone Interview (30 min)

Test
    2. Math, Grammar/Reading (20 min – at home)
    3. Sales Aptitude Test (20 min – at home)
    4. Mock email (10 min – at home)

Interview Day
    5. Lunch with 3 Sales Reps (1 hour)
    6. Interview with Director or Manager (30 min)
    7. Interview with Sales VP (1 hour)

Assuming you’ve done well with the phone interview and at home test you’ll be invited for the 2.5 hour interview process at the office. Between rounds the recruiter will put you in a room to wait while she gets feedback on how it went. You will only move on to the next round if the previous interaction went well so be prepared to handle any rejection with dignity. The company is very selective and apparently only 5% of the interviews result in a hire. That freaked me out a bit but they’ll be nice –remember they invited you because they think you might be a good fit.

The process is exhaustive by design. By the time I started final round I was mentally fried and subsequently bombed (over prepared on tech not sales). If you make it that far I suggest you ask the recruiter for a Coke while you wait. The sugar and caffeine will kick in by the time the interviewer arrives.

You’ll eat lunch with the reps at the company’s impressive lunch room. Use some of this time to ask about the job, their sales experience and the company. Before the interview I was concerned about the length of time people had been with the company and Glassdoor complaints about turnover – these sales reps are pros and seemed to be really happy, believe in the product and intend to stay for some time.

You should already be doing this, but review the job description. Besides the usual behavioral interview questions you’ll want to be ready to share your sales experience. Communicate why you love it, why you’re good at it and the impact you want to make. Think deep about the trade before you show up and you’ll do ok.

Two more tips:
    1. Remember everyone’s names – they’ll ask.
    2. Be ready to pay parking or take an Uber there. Paying ≈ $20 for parking after getting a rejection stung a bit.

Good Luck!

Marketing Role Interview

Application

Interview

Interview process is lengthy but appreciated since they are dedicated to finding the right fit for both parties. However, some tactics are questionable. All interviews were productive and geared to extracting relevant qualifications and experience except for one that performed the "stress test" as a method to see how I perform under stress. This was my last interview after three rounds of one on one interviews and a lunch with three people from various departments. It was actually quite funny since this person would ask the most ridiculous questions multiple times in a row while writing rigorous notes - I'm surprised she didn't tear through the paper. In addition, would criticize my experience in disrespectful ways that made no sense. The interview closed with this person saying that I basically have poor communication skills and that I need to speak more clearly. I've never had this feedback after 12 years of work experience and I guess grateful for the frankness - I thanked her and that closed the interview. It was a very interesting approach and while the company is great, I didn't think I was the best fit for the role as I'm looking for more collaboration and professional growth. I've heard of several sales roles experiencing the same tactics and my only advice is to keep your cool, have clear and concise answers, and ask questions if the question is unclear. Otherwise, enjoy and good luck!

Interview Questions

• Experience with brand and product marketing with examples. Prior challenges and action(s) to overcome. How my background can be applied to the role. What I currently like about what I'm doing and what I don't like. Experience with brand awareness and lead gen campaigns, along with sales support. I'll refrain from the last interviewers questions due to irrelevancy.   Answer Question

Sales Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Stack Overflow (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

Phone Screen
    In Person testing - math, grammar, calendar exercise
    In person Interview
    Lunch with 3 team members
    Final interview with VP

If you love gorgeous views than apply here and interview. Otherwise, simply put these people are looking for a proverbial punching bag.

The job is a standard entry level position with some very intense demands. For a position that is sold to you as data heavy, what they are looking for is the perfect person to manage someones calendar.

Also - I would suggest you avoid even sending a resume if you are Hispanic or African American. The tech industry struggles to be diverse in an ever changing economy, yet companies like Stack Overflow have little to no "diverse" employees. In fact not one employee of color.

Interview Questions

Stack Overflow Response

Dec 23, 2016 – Recruiter

I am sorry to hear that you had a negative experience interviewing at Stack Overflow. I know our process can be a difficult one, but our intention is for everyone to have a positive experience... More