Stack Overflow Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Stack Overflow Interview Questions

Interviews at Stack Overflow

3.1

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Stack Overflow.

Interview

I spoke to recruiter briefly who was pleasant, but seemed unsure regarding meeting my comp expectations. I was then scheduled to meet with the hiring manager, but was also asked to prepare & deliver a sales presentation/pitch (using a generic 10 page powerpoint deck) for the initial meeting. While preparing a sales pitch is standard these days, this should come after an initial meeting with the hiring manager to establish a mutual fit (and not waste anyone's time). Pass.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Stack Overflow in March 2020.

Interview

Five separate interviews spread across 6 weeks, all remote. The first interview was a screening call with HR, the second covered programming with a developer. The third interview was role specific conducted by someone on the team, then the fourth was with the hiring manager. The final interview was with the CTO/CPO. None of the interview questions were about whether you could answer obscure trick questions, they were more about seeing if you understood concepts and to gauge if you had a good understanding of the subject matter. The whole process was very transparent, and HR was quick to follow up after each interview to give you a timeline and next steps.

Billing & Accounts Receivable Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bayonne, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Stack Overflow (Bayonne, NJ) in March 2020.

Interview

Since it happened during COVID, they interviewed me via videoconference. I interviewed with three people in the AR and Sales departments. They were nice, but they didn’t really ask me anything about my experience. All they did was talk about the culture of Stack Overflow, the new systems they are learning, and how the people working there longest are creating trouble with the new managers who are trying to revamp the company. The AR person, in particular, spent the whole time on the headphone looking at a different screen. I expected questions out of her more than anyone considering it is an AR position, but it’s like I wasn’t even there. Then I did a second video interview with Brad and a third with Caroline. Those were more informative about what the position entails, and I thought it went well. I appreciated that they sent an email saying that I was a promising candidate, but that they would have to pass. It would have been nice to work there though.

Vice President of Customer Success Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stack Overflow (New York, NY) in December 2019.

Interview

After an initial screening call with a pleasant internal recruiter, within a couple of hours I was invited into their NYC offices to meet with 2 senior leaders. It's clear this company is stacked (ha!) with very talented people who are prepared for the path Stack is on. Each meeting lasted about 30 minutes and was a good balance of informal discussion about our backgrounds mixed with details about the company, this role and the expectations of it. I was asked about my experience in terms of the headcount and revenue I manage as well as how I've created new revenue paths. There is a clear growth plan for the company and I was excited about the possibilities of being so actively involved with that plan. The leaders I spoke to were candid about the challenges the company faces as well as the plusses of working there. The meetings both went well and I left feeling great. The communication slowed down after that and several days later I was told I had not made it to the next round. I appreciated that they let me know rather than leave me hanging. There was no feedback on why I didn't advance which was a letdown. Ultimately while I'm disappointed not to advance I have two offers and the field would have been pretty crowded with a third so I did not follow up for feedback. However whoever secures this role at Stack has a very cool job ahead of them!! Overall I feel very good about the experience and would interview here again in the future if the opportunity arose.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your experience finding upsell/professional services opportunities with existing clients.   1 Answer

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Stack Overflow (New York, NY) in August 2019.

Interview

First had a intro call with a recruiter which was very nice and casual. She was open about the long process and gave me details of each step. Next was a portfolio review and critique session with a designer. This was a very nice call but the critique was quite confusing as there was a lot of information to digest and it felt a bit awkward. I didn't make it through to the next step which wasn't a surprise, but when I asked for some feedback on why and what I should improve on in the future, I didn't get a response :/

Engineering Manager Interview

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Stack Overflow.

Interview

Recruiter interview was pleasant enough. Questions were reasonable. My main issue was that the recruiter said he was going to schedule a follow up interview and never did. I submitted my free time via their tool and even followed up with an email a week later. It is now over three weeks with no response. I understand that I may not be what they were looking for but that is no excuse for ghosting. A simple email response would not take too much time.

Engineering Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stack Overflow in May 2019.

Interview

Maybe they should extend their rigorous engineer interviewing process to their technical recruiters. I received 2 emails from the recruiter expressing interest but could not get a single response to multiple replies with questions and clarification on scheduling the phone screen. I went ahead with a time finally accepted by the recruiter but during the screen he abruptly stopped me to answer IM's and was engaged on his computer the entire time. This was a role I was trying to break into from a tech lead role so I endured. Had this been a lateral move I doubt I would have ever wanted to move forward with the extreme lack of engagement and professionalism. In any event, the recruiter rambled on, asked me to wait while he chatted with others and used nearly the entire allotted time so once again, there was no opportunity to explore the role and possible fit further. Once he heard I had not fired someone, he completely turned off and I knew there wouldn't be next steps. If terminations are so rampant there, I think I'm better off with the final result.

Interview Questions

• Have you had to terminate someone?   1 Answer

Design Team Lead Interview

Interview

Initial screening was with a recruiter via 30-minute call.

Next up was a one-hour video chat with the person who would have been my supervisor, which was a great experience - I think we communicated really well, there were great questions on both sides of the coin, and I was happy to move on to round 3.

This was another one-hour video call with the design systems lead, who I had the opposite experience with. I felt like he just wasn't that interested in the interview. He asked me several times to critique their design system, saying there was no right or wrong answer, and yet kept prodding me for more after I was done.

I knew once it was over that I wasn't going past the third round, and honestly, I wasn't that upset just based on the experience with the last interview. There would have been three more rounds to go to make it to the offer stage, including an assignment.

UX Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stack Overflow (Boston, MA) in April 2019.

Interview

I spoke with five people from the team with whom I'd be working. The interviews took place over a 2 week period and were one-on-one. All interviews were conducted via Google Hangouts.

Interview Questions

• The interviews were more of a conversation where the interviewer talked about the company, the work they do, what they like about the job. The folks I spoke with seemed very smart, clear headed, and passionate about their work and about the company. The questions were free-flowing and conversational, except for one interview. One individual asked questions about how I work as well as questions that made me feel like I was being slotted into a category (e.g., "What apps do you use"). The work-related questions revolved around how I feel about the value of the work I do, how I work with others to draw them into the process. I later learned that she would be my boss and wondered why she did not mention this when we spoke.   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Stack Overflow in April 2019.

Interview

The interview process was great. They have this down to a science. You basically start by doing video interviews with a developer, then a PM, then a director. If you pass those three you are presented with a paid project. After you submit your project if they like what you wrote you do a final interview with either the Director or VP of Product. In this final interview they dig much deeper into the project you submitted and see how you came up with the solution, how you would roll it out, etc.