Stack Overflow Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Stack Overflow Interview Questions

Updated Jul 12, 2018

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Techincal and relaxed. Phone interview led to a technical Google Hangout interview which was about data structures and algorithms in the language comfortable for me. I chose Python and nailed the question asked. It was then followed by a in person interview, where the employers gauge my interests and expertise.

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Stack Overflow (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very painless and transparent. The requirements of the position seemed to be a very different fit than what was described in my interviews. However the company was very respectful and kept communication up.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stack Overflow.

Interview

Five fully-remote interviews over a 6 week period. Each interview was very difficult, but each interviewer was very professional and took the time to help me through answers when my immediate reaction was "I don't know".

The interview questions were pretty difficult and very in depth, but when you get stuck they tended to give you some ideas to point you in the right direction.

You need to be able to pass a programming test to get a job offer as well. Some of the solutions were easy, some of them were more complicated - but nothing even close to as difficult as what you read the senior developers go through.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Stack Overflow (New York, NY).

Interview

1. Recruiter phone screen
    2. Complete a short assignment (this depends on the role you're applying for)
    3. Have an informal, on-site lunch with 2-3 employees
    4. 1 or 2 interviews with team members
    5. Hiring manager interview

The process from start to finish was probably a month or 2. I came into the office twice- once for my first round of interviews and then again to do my final round with the CEO. You should expect to take a full day off from work (or maybe 2) to complete the interviews.

The process itself was thorough. Don't expect to breeze through the interviews - Stack doesn't hire just anyone. I wasn't asked any of the dreadful brainteasers or trick questions and was treated with the utmost respect by everyone I met. I left the interview feeling good, and knew that if I didn't get the job, at least I had a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• I was asked specific questions about projects I worked on in previous jobs/listed on my resume.   Answer Question

Stack Overflow Response

Apr 11, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience!

Campaign Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Stack Overflow (New York, NY).

Interview

Initial phone interview with the recruiter. Very upbeat and personable. I loved him immediately. Second step, went to the office for a multiple choice test, and had to write a mock email to a client, as well as review a campaign performance report, calculate CTR and give optimization suggestions. Third step - met with some folks from the Sales team and the current Ad Ops manager and had lunch, pretty informal interview. The team was hilarious, I enjoyed talking with all of them. Fourth step - met with the Ad Ops Director, Fifth step - met with the COO. The process partly took a while because my schedule was quite hectic at the time, and the recruiter, and other team members were on vacation. It was still a great experience though. Good things come to those who wait. :)

Interview Questions

• Oddly enough, it was "Why do you want to work for Stack Exchange." It wasn't the question itself,but it was asked at least 4 times by the same person. I wasn't sure if he wasn't satisfied with my answer or if he was trying to frazzle me or what..lol. But I stayed truthful with my answers and it worked out ok.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Stack Overflow (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

Applied on Linkedin and was reached out to by the recruiter the next day. Had a phone call interview that was short and seemed like it would be a good fit, which led to scheduling an in person interview. The interview was to start at 12 noon and go until 2:30 pm depending on my success. I do not recall being told it was a "binary" interview process until my email confirmation from HR. They then decide to say "our interview process is binary, meaning if at some point someone does not think you would be a good fit for the position, we stop the process at that point. (We don't expect this to happen, but just FYI!)"
    This would have been fine, except they had come in at 12 noon, right smack dab in the middle of the day. And guess what happens? I get sent home after the first round. Now I have wasted an entire sick day and nothing to show for it. The only interview round was a lunch in their cafeteria with two account execs and one other former sales person who is in a different department now. I thought the interview went fine. They appeared very casual and laid back, so i just echoed that. I had a pretty good feel at the end only to be told it was not a "unanimous decision" to have stick around. Disappointing to say the least.

Interview Questions

• Do you like being micro-managed   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Stack Overflow (Denver, CO) in September 2013.

Interview

Phone interview with internal recruiter; after that face to face interview. Started with a wonderlic style exam and a fake communication to a potential client. Afterwards interviewed with Regional Manager, had lunch with team and discussed position and learned about culture. Last interview was a skype with the regional manager in NYC. After those interviews were complete waited to see if advanced. Lastly was a skype interview with VP of sales.

Interview Questions

• who was the person who has most changed your life/way of thinking.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stack Overflow (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Stack's interview process is rigorous to say the least. I had a phone interview with Karen, the amazing recruiter, and then I came in for my first in person interviews and a test. I took the exam first, which took about an hour, then I met with my potential coworker for an hour, and then my potential boss and the head of HR for a half hour each. After that, I was scheduled to return a few days later for a lunch interview with 3 execs. A few days after that I returned for my final meeting with the CFO.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe your workflow/How best do you "get stuff done?"   Answer Question

Sales Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stack Overflow.

Interview

Long interview process, but they are extremely open about it. You come in for testing, then lunch, and multiple interviews. Nothing is too bad. The current reps are all very young, everyone I talked to had been working there for less than 8 months. They are very open with telling you its like college, and we spent most of lunch discussing whether I liked to party, because "they work hard and play hard". Ive heard this before, from the frat guys in undergrad and it doesn't make me want to join the team. They do serve Kool-Aid at lunch; I didn't have any, but it my interviewers did. My complaint and warning is that they are not honest about your performance. At the end, they congratulated me on doing a good job, and started to schedule the next round interviews, only upon following up later that week was I informed that I was not actually moved on. Not a problem, I didn't want to rush anyway, but we are all adults and I have other commitments. Please just be upfront.

Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Stack Overflow (Denver, CO) in July 2016.

Interview

I was very impressed at how expedient the entire process was. I applied and within a week I was contacted and scheduled a phone screen the next day. Prior to the actual interviews they have you take two tests to examine basic competence. One is basic grammar and the other is basic math. You also have to write an example email so they can have some insight into how you will conduct your cold emails/calls.

Two days later we scheduled the next three rounds of interviewing. I applied from outside of Denver, so the interviews were conducted via Google Hangouts. The first one is with current employees to see if you'll be a good fit. The second one is with a higher level executive, and the final one is with the hiring manager at Denver. I had a very pleasant experience with all of the people I spoke to. You can tell they really have a great culture and the interview process is in-depth to make sure you'll fit in.

I ultimately did not receive an offer after all the rounds, but it was a great experience.