Stack Overflow Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Stack Overflow Interview Questions

Updated Jun 19, 2018

3.3

Tech Recruiter Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Stack Overflow.

Interview

I had a phone screen then went on-site to office in FiDi. I had great convos with Sr. People Ops and EVP, and ultimately wasn’t moved on in the process. It was a great experience and would totally do it again.

Interview Questions

• What’s a truth you believe in that others wouldn’t? (Or something like that)   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Stack Overflow (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

Applied on Linkedin and was reached out to by the recruiter the next day. Had a phone call interview that was short and seemed like it would be a good fit, which led to scheduling an in person interview. The interview was to start at 12 noon and go until 2:30 pm depending on my success. I do not recall being told it was a "binary" interview process until my email confirmation from HR. They then decide to say "our interview process is binary, meaning if at some point someone does not think you would be a good fit for the position, we stop the process at that point. (We don't expect this to happen, but just FYI!)"
    This would have been fine, except they had come in at 12 noon, right smack dab in the middle of the day. And guess what happens? I get sent home after the first round. Now I have wasted an entire sick day and nothing to show for it. The only interview round was a lunch in their cafeteria with two account execs and one other former sales person who is in a different department now. I thought the interview went fine. They appeared very casual and laid back, so i just echoed that. I had a pretty good feel at the end only to be told it was not a "unanimous decision" to have stick around. Disappointing to say the least.

Interview Questions

• Do you like being micro-managed   1 Answer

Director of Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Stack Overflow (New York, NY).

Interview

Thoughtful and thorough process. Met with many members of the team and had a "get to know you" lunch in the office before getting through. Cooked by their chefs. It is a fantastic selling point.

Interview Questions

Stack Overflow Response

Mar 1, 2018 – Recruiter

Many thanks for your feedback and we are sorry that you feel this way. Our interview process is designed to ensure that people are evaluated and hired based solely on their skills and how well they... More

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stack Overflow.

Interview

Five fully-remote interviews over a 6 week period. Each interview was very difficult, but each interviewer was very professional and took the time to help me through answers when my immediate reaction was "I don't know".

The interview questions were pretty difficult and very in depth, but when you get stuck they tended to give you some ideas to point you in the right direction.

You need to be able to pass a programming test to get a job offer as well. Some of the solutions were easy, some of them were more complicated - but nothing even close to as difficult as what you read the senior developers go through.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Stack Overflow (New York, NY).

Interview

1. Recruiter phone screen
    2. Complete a short assignment (this depends on the role you're applying for)
    3. Have an informal, on-site lunch with 2-3 employees
    4. 1 or 2 interviews with team members
    5. Hiring manager interview

The process from start to finish was probably a month or 2. I came into the office twice- once for my first round of interviews and then again to do my final round with the CEO. You should expect to take a full day off from work (or maybe 2) to complete the interviews.

The process itself was thorough. Don't expect to breeze through the interviews - Stack doesn't hire just anyone. I wasn't asked any of the dreadful brainteasers or trick questions and was treated with the utmost respect by everyone I met. I left the interview feeling good, and knew that if I didn't get the job, at least I had a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• I was asked specific questions about projects I worked on in previous jobs/listed on my resume.   Answer Question

Apr 11, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience!

Regional Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Stack Overflow (Denver, CO) in November 2016.

Interview

Whirlwind process. I was contacted immediately after messaging one of the executives about the position. After a brief phone interview, I was asked if I could interview that same afternoon/evening on-site with the hiring manager. It was a tight squeeze (especially considering traffic in the business district), but we made it work.

However, after the in-person interview--which was so-so as far as quality of interviews go--I never heard again from either the recruiter or the hiring manager (or anyone on her team). I can only assume the role went to someone else, but some follow up and/or closure would have been nice, as it's really the least a candidate can expect when he or she makes every effort to accommodate the company's interview schedule.

Interview Questions

• Pretty standard interview questions asking why I left my previous position, what I was looking for in a job/company culture, and what strengths I brought to the table.   Answer Question

Jan 23, 2017 – Recruiter

I am really sorry that you had a negative experience interviewing here at Stack Overflow. We try our best to ensure quite the opposite, but sometimes things do fall through the cracks... I apologize... More

User Experience Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Stack Overflow in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online and received an email from a recruiter about a week later. Had a 30 minute screener call with recruiter, 60 minute panel interview with hiring manager, and 60 minute interview with an executive. Recruiter was absolutely fantastic in helping me understand where I was in the process and what to expect next. I didn't advance to the final round of interviews (research exercise and interview with another executive), but really appreciated the feedback and courtesy that was shown.

Interview Questions

• Can you walk me through what you would do next in this hypothetical research challenge (related to sign-ups conversion and A/B testing)? Do you think that segmentation or personas are an absolute need? What are some negatives/cons to the practice of creating personas or segmentation?   Answer Question

Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Stack Overflow (Denver, CO) in July 2016.

Interview

I was very impressed at how expedient the entire process was. I applied and within a week I was contacted and scheduled a phone screen the next day. Prior to the actual interviews they have you take two tests to examine basic competence. One is basic grammar and the other is basic math. You also have to write an example email so they can have some insight into how you will conduct your cold emails/calls.

Two days later we scheduled the next three rounds of interviewing. I applied from outside of Denver, so the interviews were conducted via Google Hangouts. The first one is with current employees to see if you'll be a good fit. The second one is with a higher level executive, and the final one is with the hiring manager at Denver. I had a very pleasant experience with all of the people I spoke to. You can tell they really have a great culture and the interview process is in-depth to make sure you'll fit in.

I ultimately did not receive an offer after all the rounds, but it was a great experience.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stack Overflow (New York, NY).

Interview

I had a phone interview first, then a week later went to their offices to take a test. Next step was meeting with 3 to 4 different people for interviews. On site interviews took about 2 and a half hours. Great people and you can tell they really care about the company.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stack Overflow (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Stack's interview process is rigorous to say the least. I had a phone interview with Karen, the amazing recruiter, and then I came in for my first in person interviews and a test. I took the exam first, which took about an hour, then I met with my potential coworker for an hour, and then my potential boss and the head of HR for a half hour each. After that, I was scheduled to return a few days later for a lunch interview with 3 execs. A few days after that I returned for my final meeting with the CFO.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe your workflow/How best do you "get stuff done?"   Answer Question