Stack Overflow Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Stack Overflow CEO Joel Spolsky
Joel Spolsky

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "perks and benefits out of this world" (in 6 reviews)

• "We are treated like adults, rewarded well, and have great benefits" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Just laid off 20% of global workforce and shut down Denver office with no warning at all" (in 5 reviews)

• "Typical startup growing pains" is the cliche, but the way it manifests itself at SO is in ironing out processes" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Tough to find a better startup tech environment"

Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Stack Overflow full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at Stack Overflow for 6 years in sales and, as my headline implies, it'd be difficult to find a better startup environment. While it has all of the typical lumps of a startup, it more than makes up for it with its collaborative and friendly environment, inclusive and (increasingly) diverse culture, products that put the end user (i.e. the community of developers that make SO so powerful) first and the people. The people are what make Stack Overflow such a special place to work. Everyone is genuine, helpful and eager to contribute their small slice towards an amazing work family. It's a place that genuinely cares about its people.

Cons

Senior management needs to be more transparent about the direction of the company. We all know its doing well, but providing employees (particularly the ones who have spent many years there) more transparency on exit strategy is critical if it wants to keep them.

"Once a great company"

I have been working at Stack Overflow full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing Benefits
    Smart and passionate coworkers
    Well known product
    Great brand power

Cons

Incompetent upper management
    No clear vision from senior leadership
    Superficial when it comes to company culture.
    Those who are loud and know how to self-market get ahead. Promotions are based on perceptions instead of actual effort.

Advice to Management

It's more of an advice to the board: make senior management accountable. SO is a business, hire senior leadership who are experienced at this, not people who have "seniority" within the company.

"Volatile outlook, laid off"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Denver, CO

I worked at Stack Overflow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tons of perks, and a great situation if you work in New York or London

Cons

They closed and laid off all but 6 employees in the Denver office, including some who had been hired 3 weeks prior. Tons of poor planning from upper management. Favoritism, and a continued sexist attitude we see so much in the tech world.

Advice to Management

Get your finances in order, get more devs, and don't blame a well performing sales team when it's upper managements poor planning.

"This company used to be great, but has really gone downhill."

I have been working at Stack Overflow full-time

Pros

Great benefits and coworkers. Competitive salary. Fantastic remote culture.

Cons

Management changes hands all of the time and execs give themselves more and more absurd titles. Little to no employee development. Engineers only recently learned how to talk to each other. Management will ignore problems until they get too out of control to be handled properly. Very clique-esque exec team. Morale low even if managers don't see it.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Really listen. Don’t paint everything as wonderful when there are real problems within your teams.

"Senior Account Executive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Stack Overflow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunche
    Ok benefits
    nice office location

Cons

no transparency in terms of where the company is headed

"Company with a lot going for it clinging to the start-up phase"

I worked at Stack Overflow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stack Overflow has a lot going for it - notably a massive, loyal and energized developer community in the tens of millions. Stack also hires largely excellent people who are smart and get things done (Just read CEO Joel Spolsky's book to see how exhaustive they treat employee hiring). If they nail products that better connect developers to each other and the rest of the world, they have tremendous potential.

Cons

The company has been a start-up for several years. A lot of the staff have been there for a long time and want to do things they always have. As a result they are struggling to crossover into a more mature phase of their company life cycle. They often value personal experience over new ideas in decision making, leading to slow implementation of new ideas and a discounting of experienced people joining the company. It sometimes felt like they were afraid to grow up and wanted to be the same ragtag group that started things several years ago. Their products need to get up to speed with competitors outside of pure Q&A features.

Advice to Management

Take the leap into being a more mature, highly profitable success. Don't be afraid of new or outside voices that are challenging you to be more professional and strategic. Start-up phase is filed with fun, it's time to start killing it in the business world.

"Fantastic company with fantastic people"

I worked at Stack Overflow full-time

Pros

Stack has a really amazing culture-- my coworkers were accepting, open minded, and truly my friends. The benefits and work perks are awesome.

Cons

Unless you're in Sales, you're not necessarily given a clear picture of how your career can progress, what the next level is, and how you can get there.

Advice to Management

Listen to the users more! Just because we're the top platform doesn't mean we don't have room for improvement.

"Good work environment"

Pros

Great environment, flexibility for remote work, private chefs on site, good benefits.

Cons

Communication issues, lack of direct structure.

"Great company to work in sales"

I worked at Stack Overflow full-time

Pros

Fair commissions, fair quotas that are dependent on actual deals in pipeline, great office environment

Cons

Limited offering of products and services to sell. Lots of competition.

"Marketing - Great experience so far"

I have been working at Stack Overflow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of really smart people here, and I have had experiences where I genuinely enjoyed collaborating with my teammates from across the company.

The benefits are unbelievable -- 100% free health care: no paycheck deductions, no deductibles, no co-pays.

The company genuinely cares about creating a great culture.

As a woman in tech, it is the best job I have had in many years. I feel respected, that my work matters, that I am listened to and that I have room to grow here.

Cons

Like all tech companies, women are mostly stuck in support functions with little room for advancement. I don't see this as a Stack Overflow problem; I see it as an entire tech-industry problem.

The Marketing department has been in turmoil since November, when the company had a sizable layoff. Since then, the entire management layer of marketing (all women) completely turned over, from department heads to executives. We are currently searching for a new VP of Marketing to provide sorely needed leadership and a voice in company decisions.

The November layoff, the first in the company's history, shook long-term employees up, and many of them are still reeling from that experience.

Advice to Management

There is a tinge of arrogance on the exec team regarding us being the undisputed leader in a niche space. We need to do a better job of listening to our users and making sure everyone has a good experience on our platform.

We also need to make sure the Community team does not feel marginalized and has the resources they need to make our large developer community the best it can be.