Sun Trading Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 25, 2017

2.9

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sun Trading (Chicago, IL) in October 2017.

Interview

First is an online test, followed by a phone interview. I guess then it will be an on-site interview. The interviewer asked very specifically about your past project with some short questions in linear regression. It took quite a long time to hear the results from the online assessment.

Interview Questions

• How to interpret the coefficient in linear regression? How to run a linear regression with no intercept?   Answer Question

Trader Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Sun Trading (New York, NY).

Interview

the first round is phone interview; then followed by two or three on site interviews; the whole process can take weeks to finish. the focus is on track record, not on skills etc.

Quantitative Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sun Trading.

Interview

The interview was an online coding test. You have 3 hours to finish all 5 questions. You may use R or python. They email you the questions and you email back a .r or .py file.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to compute the max drawdown of any time series of PnL's.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Interview

Was given an online coding test to pass. Did not pass this test. The test was judged based on speed and code quality, not simply based on whether or not you found the right answer. Questions seemed geared towards R more so than Python.

Interview Questions

• Writing functions in R or Python that return an answer to the question   Answer Question

Trading Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sun Trading.

Interview

Sun has a trading position on their website which has been open for over 1 year now. In hindsight that position seems like a honeypot to me. Sun gets traders to divulge their secrets in the hope that they will get hired.

My interview process was a little strange because I was not asked about my background but rather to tell them how much pnl I had and how the strategies were developed. I would imagine this line of questioning would have come after getting to know me and my experiences.

Interview Questions

• How did your strategy make money?
      What venues were you connected to and which one was the most profitable?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sun Trading (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

C++ coding exercise (not timed, they gave me a weekend). Problem was interesting, related to reading some stream of quotes from a file and answering queries efficiently based on it.
    After than had a phone interview (C++ questions, some OS/threading related, nothing out of ordinary).
    Had 4-5 onsite interview . White boarding problems and some threading/C++ based questions

Interview Questions

• Matrix has both rows and columns sorted. How will you search an element?
      Manager asked many questions about my solution to the coding exercise.   Answer Question

Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sun Trading (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

The overall process was fast. One phone interview which lasted about half an hour with stats and past experience questions, and one on one interview with a trader which lasted about 45 minutes.

Quant Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Interview

One phone interview and one on one interview with different people .Each round is about 45 minutes.They ask you about the past experience related to trading and some maths problems.

Software Developer Interview

Interview

1-2 round phone interview, focus on project, programming, and C++. Then onsite interview. there are 4-5 people talk to you onsite. . a lot of white borad programming, from basic data structure to advanced algorithm, hashtable, link list, tree, etc . Some difficult question on C++ language. i guess they are looking for smart people who have solid programming skill. However, the interview process from 10-2pm , without lunch. they do reimburse for lunch.

Interview Questions

• A question about stock ticket data, difficult for someone like me who don't know it's structure   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sun Trading in June 2009.

Interview

Interviews are conducted first as a phone interview to determine your skills. Questions will range in your technical abilities regarding the C++ language. Some example questions include: Give the performance of searching X container, using Big O notation; what is a mutable member; what's the difference between Interface Inheritance and Implementation Inheritance, etc. Also some questions about Unix/Linux fundamentals.