SurveyMonkey Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SurveyMonkey (San Mateo, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Had a phone screen with a principal PM. She was pleasant to talk to and asked me questions about how to measure a product's success and who its target demographic might be. Was invited into the office and met with an engineering manager, the hiring manager, head of content (stakeholder), and a couple of product managers. Most of them were curious about how I would prioritize projects or solve for common CMS challenges (it's a content systems PM position). It was lightening fast - I had a half hour with each. Hiring process was quick, I always heard back on next steps promptly.

Interview Questions

• If a company gives free wifi to customers at Starbucks, what's the revenue opportunity?   Answer Question

Survey Researcher Interview

Interview

Pretty average. Just some questions about experience in data analysis and survey research. Other than that, it is standard interview questions. Did not get the offer though. Talked to two different researchers.

SEO Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at SurveyMonkey (San Mateo, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

I’ll try to keep this review short.

What happened...

After two phone interviews I was asked to come in person.

My first interview was with the engineer, which in this position doesn’t make sense, but since I have web development background this wouldn’t be a problem. After explaining to me that he has no SEO knowledge and is here because his boss wants him to quiz on me coding, he asked me to code a webpage from scratch. Very odd request but again, no problem. I coded a basic website framework and walked him through my code and code from their website.

Second interview was with an actual SEO manager which was great. He gave me a use case and we deep dived different angels of approaching the problem. Even taught him some things he didn’t know.

3rd interview was with content manager. This interview went well. We discussed how content and SEO works together.

4th interview was with another manager and that went well. We talked strategy, SEO, Marketing, corporate jargon, along with other topics.

The last interview was with the hiring manager I spoke with before.

About 2 minutes before our meeting started he sat at the table outside the conference room in which he was looking directly at me. Once we made eye contact he IMMEDIATELY looked back down at his laptop. Odd.

For the whole 45 minutes, he created impossible use cases scenarios in which no one would be able to answer. Example.

One question was “ if you have 2 million dollars to spend, and we are trying to go from 5 million VISITS to 10 million VISITS in a YEAR, what would you spend money on?” I said “I would take 500k and start with paid search”, before I could finish he said “ nope you can’t do that now what?” I said “ok well then I would hire some contractors to the team and” I get cutoff... “ nope you can’t hire anyone for a month”. I said “I thought you said we had a year?” “No it’s a month”.

Now I say “let’s touch on a hot topic and tweet, Facebook, YouTube, and create content in the site about it.”

“Well how would you do that?”

I’m thinking I just explained this 4 seconds ok but ok I’ll repeat myself. Do so, now he says

“This is only 10k clicks, we need 5 million”....

I say “well let’s hire some agencies to create commercial and ads to build brand awareness to the site”

“Nope, you only have 6 days”

“6 days?...”

“yup”

“ well the 5 million you get from going to your homepage, link them to another high volume page, there’s your 10 millions”

“how do you know they will click on any link there ?”.....

.... at this point I just reiterate everything and we move.

This is what happened for 45 minutes straight. By far the worst interview/interviewer I’ve ever had. He literally spent 45 minutes creating impossible use cases and rejecting EVERY answer I gave while making things up on the fly. The whole time having a smirk on his face.

Fun fact: after leaving a voice mail and telling me they passed on me because my 5+ years of SEO, web development, SEM, PM, training, seminars, IT, blah blah blah, experience wasn’t enough, I called back once right after the voicemail was left, again 30 minutes later, and left an email and no response. Oh, but she did say she we connected on LinkedIn... but I think the in messaging doesn’t work because I didn’t get a connection request... hmm

TLDR; To higher management:

Watch who is in charge of hiring talent, because you may be letting a lot slip through the cracks because of incompetent leadership with personal agendas.

What I think happened: I NEVER play the race card because I’ve already made it in corporate America so I disqualify myself, but I am half black and white. I’m hoping this didn’t affect his decision. From the eye look away, clearly unprofessional interview in which he tried his hardest to make me angry and frustrated which didn’t work unfortunately, not looking at my LinkedIn beforehand, using the “experience” excuse which is completely false, them admitting I was only they brought in, I hope It wasn’t because of this. Maybe he felt threaten by my talent? Who knows.

Interview Questions

• How do you know your SEO recommendations were successful?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SurveyMonkey in September 2017.

Interview

I met recruiters at a University Career Fair. I got an on campus interview, where I was asked about my Resume and a technical interview question. Afterwards, I had an a 3 round skype interview. Each round was 30-45 min where I was asked about my resume again and then asked a technical question each.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of lists of numbers, return the maximum average from each list.   Answer Question
    • Reverse a string.   1 Answer

Strategic Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SurveyMonkey (Portland, OR).

Interview

Initial phone screen with recruiter. Not conversational. Felt like a one-way street. Recruiter was assumptive with accomplishments in my past experience and disqualified me from the get-go. Clearly did not read resume because I was asked whether I was in a closing new business role or Account Management/renewal role previously. Recruiter came across as overly sensitive, rigid, and not receptive to steering off course from her script in any way, shape or form. The experience was condescending and belittling.

Marketing Strategist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SurveyMonkey.

Interview

I applied on the website and a week later they called me for a recruiter screen. After that I was passed on to the hiring manager - we had a very positive conversation and she asked me to come in for an on-site interview. The on-site interview was extremely disorganized and ill-thought out - I was talking with people who would be my direct reports but had no idea who they were, so I couldn't talk about relevant topics, and some interviewers had no preparation at all, so they were asking me to read them my resume. After the interview, I did receive a call to let me know feedback, but as I was at a conference, we played a couple of rounds of phone tag. I never heard from SurveyMonkey again.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at SurveyMonkey.

Interview

I attended the Grace Hopper Conference and got the interview a couple of weeks later. The process included one phone interview, and 3 technical interviews. With the first one being mainly behavioral and the other technical.

Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at SurveyMonkey (San Mateo, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

This was a pretty straightforward interview process, very smooth. I had three interviews. The first was your traditional phone screening; roughly 15 minutes. The second was a chat with the Quality Assurance Manager. He basically asked me about my resume, what I was doing in school, etc. The next interview was over Skype. Two and a half hours long with three other QA Engineers, the manager again, and with the director of the department. Make sure to prepare well, they want people who are passionate and self-motivated. Very happy I applied!

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SurveyMonkey.

Interview

There was an initial phone screen with recruiter. After the phone screen, the recruiter arranged for an onsite interview very quickly. The onsite was with four interviewers. Their questions we divided up into algorithmic and coding questions, as well as system design questions.

Interview Questions

• Implement a LRU Cache.
      Implement a class for a deck of cards. Write a shuffling method. How do you test it?   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SurveyMonkey (Portland, OR) in September 2016.

Interview

Very confusing interview. I was introduced to an interviewer and then the recruiter interrupted and said she was the wrong person. The recruiter then took over and seemed unfamiliar with the position or my resume & background.