SurveyMonkey Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at SurveyMonkey

2.7

Outbound Sales Development Representative (SDR) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SurveyMonkey (Portland, OR).

Interview

It was ok. Applied online, heard back from a recruiter a few days later. We did a 30 minute phone screen, where she described the role, the salary and the projected start date. She went through my resume and we had a good chat overall. She said she was moving me to the next round. The next round I did a phone call with the hiring manager for 30 minutes. She asked more specific questions and also asked scenario based questions as well. She followed up a few days later to say she would like me to do a panel interview. I met with two other managers, each for 30 minutes, in similar departments via Zoom (since COVID-19 is still a thing) then with her. Each interview was fine, they were all very nice, thought things went well, but then never heard back even though they said I'd hear something either way within 48 hours, so must have gone a different direction. Honestly, I'm ok with that, as it seemed like a young place focused on trivial things Silicon Valley thinks is "cool" but sometimes doesn't make for the best work environment.

Interview Questions

• Mainly questions regarding your resume, some scenario questions and culture questions. Ask a lot of questions, as curiosity is a big focus.   Answer Question

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at SurveyMonkey (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

1. Recruiter
    2. An engineer on this team (I wasn't told this was the actual manager for the position)
    Meeting was cancelled a hour before it was supposed to happen due to unrelated engineer not being in today.
    3. 15 about me 15 tech questions 15 problem 15 questions I have

Interview Questions

• She basically asked me some broad questions to gauge my experience and then had me solve her technical problems she is having and ideally someone in this position would fix. During the question she wasted time on inconsequential code. Amateur hour.   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SurveyMonkey (San Mateo, CA) in June 2020.

Interview

Spent a month interviewing for SM. Very poor experience. Had an initial conversation with HR in which I gave my salary expectation. She never told me I was outside the range. I was weary from other Glassdoor postings as the salaries were half of what I requested but assumed I would be told if I was too high like every other interview I’ve ever had. I went through 3 rounds with the hiring manager who I now realize that I make/was requesting more money than. Essentially he is an academic who “hacked” (his words) an app together and needed someone who had scaled apps in this framework on Linux in an enterprise environment. This included having to complete a coding exercise which was to build an app with their data. Super easy (took me a few hours), take survey data and go from long to wide format. I provided the application code along with how you setup data pipelines and REST APIs in the program I was asked to code in. Far exceeding the expectations of the assignment and the capabilities of the team. Even after this I went through another interview to ask how to scale which I gave the sauce for as I’ve already done so a couple times at companies. So taking some steps back SM received application code, pipelines, and REST APIs on their actual data and exactly how to scale it. The “bonus” on the coding assignment asked to database the app which I came to find out the guy hadn’t done, he just puts data on a GoogleDrive haha. I was told the person who received the position skill set was stronger. Based on a LinkedIn post, I saw this person. A girl straight out of school (no masters) with a couple internships and no real world experience. So essentially, they hired someone half/third the price while keeping me in the process to receive my code and exploit work from a “veteran” (hiring managers words). I never review anything... but this process completely wasted my time as I was never going to get the role based on salary and my time on coding in this frame work is valuable. Based on this experience and the lack of competency I encountered from HR and the hiring manager, I would never want to work at this place and would encourage people to be weary to not do free work for these guys.

Interview Questions

• How do you manipulate large data sets in R?   Answer Question
    • How do you scale an R Shiny app on Linux?   Answer Question
    • Provide code of an R Shiny app with SurveyMonkey data that goes from long to wide format. Bonus points to database it.   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SurveyMonkey.

Interview

Hiring manager reached out to me for the role. There was a chat with him and a phone screen with a recruiter, and a take-home.

The following week, I did an on-site (4 hours, virtual due to COVID) where I walked the manager through my take-home, and chatted with a few other members of the team. All behavioral questions; conversation was very natural. Probably the most pleasant interview panel I've done so far. Got the offer the following day. Entire process was two weeks from start to finish.

Interview Questions

• Asked about past experience working cross-functionally and interest in the role   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SurveyMonkey in April 2020.

Interview

The interview process was very transparent. The recruiter was helpful at every stage - including giving me a heads up about what to emphasize in my experience and questions to expect. Everyone who interviewed me was directly connected to the position, acted professionally, and was super friendly. I had three interviews and the process took exactly one month from the initial recruitment info session to the offer. I heard back after each interview in a timely manner - the recruiter and the hiring team were open about the timeline to expect (always heard back within the week about whether I had made it to the next round or received an offer).
    The first interview was a phone screening with the recruiter (30 minutes). The second interview was a phone interview with a manager of a similar team (30 minutes). The third interview was with the recruiter, the manager, the similar manager, and the previous manager of the team (about 2 hours) - in this one I had about 30 minutes with each. I was sure to ask a ton of questions throughout the process as the core value of SurveyMonkey is curiousity.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose your university?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work for SurveyMonkey?   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at SurveyMonkey.

Interview

They came to my school for career fair and conducted next-day interviews for first round. Made it to the final round but did not get an offer. Overall, the process was really welcoming and not bad at all!

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SurveyMonkey (San Mateo, CA) in February 2020.

Interview

One phone screen them 3 interviews on site of the company office in san mateo. All engineers were cheerful and friendly and my hiring manager worked hard to keep me up to date and the interview process and my status

Strategy Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at SurveyMonkey (San Francisco, CA) in January 2020.

Interview

One phone call asks about why company, how to grow the company; After about 7 days, got the call to do another interview. The other is about how to improve the product

Interview Questions

• One phone call asks about why company, how to grow the company; the other is about how to improve the product   Answer Question

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SurveyMonkey (San Mateo, CA) in November 2019.

Interview

I had a phone screen followed by a hiring manager phone interview. After that I was invited on site for 4 in-person interviews. The last step was another on site series of 4 interviews.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my previous experience. I was also asked about my leadership characteristics.   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at SurveyMonkey.

Interview

It was an on campus interview. They asked me to talk about myself and my career goals. The interviewer was really nice and the coding challenge was about matching parenthesis. Overall a good experience.