SurveyMonkey Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
SurveyMonkey CEO Zander Lurie
Zander Lurie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • has excellent work-life balance, open culture (in 19 reviews)

• Great benefits, free food, people are nice, bonus (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of meetings and sometimes too much of legacy code and not enough resources to work on them (in 4 reviews)

• Wasn't ready for a sales team at the time I joined (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at SurveyMonkey full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SurveyMonkey has a great business and a good strategy to build on its franchise in online surveys. The culture is very pro-employee and the company is a leader in silicon valley for diversity and gender equality. Coworkers are friendly, welcoming and passionate about the company and the mission. There are lots of perks: the company provides lunches and breakfasts, Caltrain subsidies, and a speaker series and lots of training. The new san mateo office is swank with lots of cool workspaces that are not cubes. The culture is open (no offices) and senior management is very approachable. The product and brand are well known and loved and the business is very strong and profitable. The new products are showing a lot of promise.

Cons

Like most companies this size, sometimes sr management wants to do more than the company can reasonably accomplish and sometimes its not always clear how decisions get made. The new CEO is bringing a lot of change and new employees as the company grows.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on performance and growth, but don't lose the work life balance and continue to be a leader in diversity!

2. "Quick SM Review"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at SurveyMonkey full-time

Pros

Amazing work life balance and a great place to learn.

Cons

Not compensated well and there are limited job opportunities in the Portland office.

Advice to Management

People in the Portland office should be compensated much better.

3. "Fantastic company!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SurveyMonkey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The sales organization is really moving in a great direction! We have fantastic products and a very strong enterprise solution. Sales management is extremely passionate about making sure that we deliver great solutions to our customers.

Cons

It’s difficult to come up with anything negative to say about this company. It is great that we have free breakfast and lunch Monday through Thursday, why not Friday?

Advice to Management

It would be great to see Surveymonkey in the media, it is a great place to work and I don’t think survey monkey does a good enough job sharing that with the public.

"Great Platform and core Business."

I worked at SurveyMonkey full-time

Pros

Disruptive to industry as deomocratizes access to feedback. Great junior folks. Management team less more mature than V 1.0. Excellent understanding of core customer.

Cons

One trick pony. Difficulty in growing any business outside core Freemium business. Leaving too much money on the table.

"Constant change"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SurveyMonkey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SM has some of the best people I have ever worked with. They make diversity in the workplace a strong initiative and they have some pretty strong business focused direction.

Cons

Constant change. Leadership is getting hired and fired very quickly. Play by the rules of the company or be ostracized by leadership and HR. Very low pay for the space and area.

Advice to Management

Consistent transparency would be nice.

"Meh"

I worked at SurveyMonkey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Snacks (fully stocked kitchens, drinks, catered lunches
    -Benefits (all the bells and whistles, 401k match, unlimited pto)
    -Cool offices

Cons

-I was extremely underpaid. Granted I worked for one of the more recently purchased companies but it was a joke what they were paying me. Everytime I brought up a raise during my 1-on-1s, I was told some BS. I had the same amount of experience and skill set as some of the senior folks on the team..but was paid the LEAST.
    -MICROMANAGED at every step
    -Extreme favoritism. I met my goals / metrics but don't take calls at my desk. I find the floor gets very loud and I need a quiet place to talk. There were other teammates who got recognition / credit as long as they made calls at their desks next to our boss...even though they were extremely poor performers.
    -My boss singled me out all the time for no reason. She made coming to work an absolute nightmare.

Advice to Management

Pay employees actual market value salaries and fire incompetent employees and managers.

"Grown-up startup"

I have been working at SurveyMonkey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Engineers are treated well. Easy transit access. Many good benefits.

SurveyMonkey is a fairly well-known brand. It's not strange to see a story in the national news and be able to honestly say: "I worked on that!"

Other reviews are not lying about the free meals. Nobody has mentioned that the meals are prepared by an excellent on-site chef with a full staff, with a decent array of options to support many diets.

The commitment to diversity is real. This is an especially good place to start if you are a woman and/or a minority trying to break into software development or product management.

No brogrammers. The engineering culture is basically the opposite of Uber. Nearly everyone is intelligent, friendly, and helpful in person.

Cons

Full-time engineers are treated like minor royalty. Others face a tougher time.

Lots of legacy code and tech debt left over from various initiatives. Cross-team communication withered away to almost nothing after a few key leaders left, and many teams tend to see messaging as a nuisance, not a tool.

Training and documentation for internal tools is nearly nonexistent, and support for internal tools is stretched thin at the best of times. Be prepared to spend days diving source code and begging for help from old-timers when you need to bring up a development environment just to start working.

Advice to Management

We achieved some major objectives in the first half of 2017, and now is a good time to develop the organization, cultivate leaders up and down the reporting structure, pay down technical debt, and build solid footing for the next big push.

8. "Experience as Software Engineer Intern"

I worked at SurveyMonkey full-time

Pros

The company overall has a very healthy work culture that matches a lot of lifestyles you might prefer (outdoorsy, gamer, married w/ kids, single, DIYer). Tons of resources for employees, opportunities to explore a lot of other job roles. I for example explored both product management, sales, and security by talking to very helpful and more tenured employees all across the country. I had ample opportunity to explore the business-service oriented side of web development as well. Very accepting, very open to new ideas and diverse personalities and origins.

Cons

Working downtown is a downside depending on the day and the traffic. It is a service-oriented company not a technology company I wasn't e creating bleed-edge innovation with a state-of-the-art stack. They have they technologies and libraries and use them to sell a service that millions of people enjoy and depend on.

"BEST CULTURE"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SurveyMonkey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SurveyMonkey takes care of their employees. Everyone is working together towards a common goal, and it's amazing to be apart of. INCREDIBLE benefits, flexible work from home, and great snacks. I can't imagine a better culture or team that I'd like to be apart of.

Cons

Sales structure is pretty disorganized. But good things are happening to fix this

"Job As A Service"

I have been working at SurveyMonkey full-time

Pros

Benefits and perks are amazing. Office is awesome. Parties are fun. Work can be exciting and exhilarating. Pay is so-so compared to market.

Cons

There's simply no strategic direction. Every 6-12 months the company over invests in a new strategy, throws everything at it and when it doesn't immediately produce 50 point margins, abandons it. And, it abandons you too. Lay offs are common. So, if you're 25 and just out of college and you want to work in a fun office for a year or two before you're inevitably laid off, this is the place for you. If you fall outside that box, and have any obligations (mortgage, spouse, etc.) look elsewhere. There's no lateral/upward move available either.

Advice to Management

Stick to a plan! Stick to an executive! Constant new directions and plans are hard on your staff. Perks are great, but invest in some job stability.