Synapse Product Development Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Synapse Product Development Interview Questions

3.2

Electrical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Synapse Product Development (Seattle, WA) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied online and about 2 weeks later got an email from the recruiting team to setup a phone interview with the electrical engineer team lead. Phone interview lasted a little over an hour. I thought it went well but apparently not, since about a month and a half later I got the rejection letter.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions followed by explaining a project that was on my resume. Then the hardest part was analyzing a schematic online on op-amps. It has been about a year since I last used them.   Answer Question

EE Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Synapse Product Development (Seattle, WA).

Interview

The hiring process for me toooook sooo long. I applied at the beginning and I didn't hear back for months.After having my phone interview, I asked how long would it take to hear back, they said it would take a week. It took another month.

Interview Questions

• They asked me a little bit of a background, then they tested my EE fundamentals by analyzing a schematic   Answer Question

HW Technical Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Synapse Product Development (San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

The interviewer was pleasant and professional. My impression was the interviewer lack technical or business breadth. Of course, this may not be the case, since this was a phone interview. I would have been more impressed if there was a solid technical discussion rather than simple answers to questions. This is consistent with technical engineers doing simple designs compared to complicated projects. He didn't talk about SW to any detail degree. He may not have had the experience in business either. His HW knowledge was better than the other two areas.

Interview Questions

• Role play a business session, Microprocessor and voltage regulator selection for power savings   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Synapse Product Development (Seattle, WA) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied online and received a request for a phone interview a few days later. The interviewer was an engineer and he asked me both technical and behavioral questions. He was very nice and gave me the appropriate time to think and respond. The questions were more than average difficulty but nothing intense. A few days later, I received an email stating that I was not selected. Overall I had a good experience with them, they were nice and professional.

Interview Questions

• Describe an occasion when you were in disagreement within a team and had to convince the others to continue with your idea/perspective.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Synapse Product Development.

Interview

All done over phone. Mainly was "tell me about yourself" followed by a series of questions about basic engineering principles. I don't think getting the answers right was the main objective. I think they wanted to figure out how you walk through a problem and how well you communicate with others.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Did not negotiate, offer seemed competitive already.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Synapse Product Development in August 2015.

Interview

Applied online and emailed someone I know at Synapse. Two weeks later, I was invited for a phone interview. Interview was straightforward with questions about past jobs, technical questions, and questions I had for them. Waiting to hear back for second interview.

Interview Questions

• What is the pressure on one tire of a plane?   Answer Question
    • If you only use you hot tub during the weekend, is it more efficient to leave it on all the time or turn it on only for the weekend?   Answer Question
    • What are three ways to join two pieces of plastic? List the pros and cons of each method.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Synapse Product Development (Seattle, WA).

Interview

applied through online and got a phone interview. Interview process was very straight forward and communication was relatively fast. During the interview, I was asked about the projects in the portfolio and future plans about career and working in the company. Technical questions were simple and straight forward. The process took around 3 weeks from application submission to result

Interview Questions

• Asked about the most recent project and technical questions   Answer Question

Senior Embedded/Firmware Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Synapse Product Development (Seattle, WA) in November 2014.

Interview

I wanted to write about this one because they have some decent artistry to the hiring process and look like they are pretty collaborative -- hence, a good place to learn.

They have a simple coding exercise to do along with the application. The subsequent phone screen involved discussion of C++, RTOSes and how they work, mutexes, and Synapse culture. The inevitable coding question on collabedit.com was a simple one in C about linked lists, then discussion afterwards. All of this was a fun discussion and the interviewer answered many questions I had, including the general kind of projects he works on.

I went in for the full-loop, which consisted of three phases, one with a senior engineer at or near management level and in any case with long experience in computing. The interview involved about one third discussion of my work and projects, a third coding on the whiteboard, with a basic data structures question, then adding a requirement beyond the basics to see how I'd handle that, and then the final third addressing my concerns about their recent layoff rounds and balance of working independently and working together. The second overall phase was technical discussion with two engineers about a range of topics including testing, memory management, and general environments they address in their work. Finally the third round consisted of structurally non-technical discussion with three engineers (not strictly software engineers); basically, let's shoot the breeze and see if we can get along and let's see how the candidate thinks and presents himself.

I very much liked that they had a large component of the process devoted to figuring out whether the candidate is a good fit for their team in the more "intangible" aspects.

Overall, I enjoyed the Synapse interview process, and I would guess that their process yields a large pool of qualified final candidates from which they pick in the end (rather than a very small pool of extremely nitpicked candidates). I liked that they didn't seem fixated on any particular technology. That being said, it's possible that I didn't impress them enough with Cortex M experience -- as the interviews went well from my perspective, perhaps something else beyond my perception wasn't a good fit or they just had a pretty sweet pool to pick from. The whole process was 3.5 weeks from application to "no".

Interview Questions

• There's not a particular question that's most difficult. I'd recommend being pretty up on RTOS and recent embedded microcontrollers. In my case I feel I am rather up on C, C++, board design and bringup, hw tools, author-level linker and debugger tech, fair RTOS understanding at a kernel level, register-level ARM and AVR understanding, and decades of UNIX experience, and those didn't get me to "yes", despite all those fitting the job description. So you might wish to set expectations that a whole constellation of judgement may be at play and a good technical show may be just half of the requirements. I really don't know why I wasn't selected, unfortunately, so my guess is in a market like SF or Seattle one gets a pretty sweet pool from which to choose.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Synapse Product Development.

Interview

I had a phone screen initially. They asked me to look at a pretty simple op-amp circuit and answer some questions about it.

After that, they had me come in to interview with their team. I had two interviews - one with a number of EEs and a programmer. They asked me various technical questions, nothing too crazy - op amps, microcontrollers, code, etc. All basic stuff. They were clearly trying to assess if I knew the basics.

Ater that, I had another interview with non EEs. Was clearly just a personality fit interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They were not willing to negotiate anything.

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Synapse Product Development (Seattle, WA) in February 2014.

Interview

Applied on line. You will be asked to upload a small sample code with the application. Get the phone interview with a senior engineer. Answer question (programming) on line. Very easy question on embedded system design, Make sure you are really familiar with your projects on the resume. And make sure you are prepared for behavior questions.

Interview Questions

• What is static variable/functions?
      Why do you want to apply?   Answer Question