Synaptics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Synaptics Interview Questions

Updated Mar 7, 2018

Sr. Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Synaptics (San Jose, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

Proceed with caution.

Applied to company site. Got an email a few days later from internal recruiter wanting to set up phone call with hiring manager for next week.

1/2-hour phone conversation with the hiring manager went well. Contacted same day for on-site interview availability.

Came on-site for 4-hour interview with 4 people the following week. They seemed nice, very down to earth. Nice office/building/facilities. Interview was part technical/process and situational. A good mixture of questions.

Heard back from the recruiter a few days later to say they liked me and wanted to make an offer. We got together on the phone and talked numbers/expectations.

I stated my expected salary and asked about the range (CA law now dictates employers cannot inquire about past salary but you can about range).

My expectations fell within the range/band. ~70th percentile to be exact.

Then things started going downhill from there:

1 week go by and I finally get a call on the offer. The salary was disappointing -- not close to the number discussed previously. Roughly 4-5 years behind market/experience in general. I proposed a +4% counter the same day via email.

Recruiter acknowledged my counter offer and in the same email asked for my decision?? I was confused because a counter-offer is an implied rejection of the original offer. I politely declined the offer thinking that would be the end of it. The recruiter then emails back the next day stating she’s going to work on my counter offer.

1.5 weeks goes by and I get a call that they would accept my counter. Really??? 1.5 weeks to decide on a +4%? I gave them the benefit of the doubt that maybe their process ran into some snags; but it was a big red flag.

I accepted and the official paperwork was to be submitted for executive signature. 4 days later I was notified via email that the offer was rejected/rescinded due to budget reasons. They were writing checks that could not be cashed. I stopped all discourse with the organization at this point.

Wow. The absolute worst professional experience I've had with a company. Get your act together before making an offer to candidates.

I have Glassdoor reviews (see current reviews) to thank for making users aware of a company’s existing problems. Luckily, I did not jump in with both feet for Synaptics. But it was a very unseemly experience nonetheless.

Interview Questions

Interview

interview process is very interactive with all the team members. Mainly asked about some verilog questions and about your college projects. They also asked about some basic cmos questions. All the interviewers are very friendly.

Program Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Synaptics (San Jose, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied through campus career fair. I happened to drop my resume at the kiosk and totally forgot about it. I got a call back after 4 months or more than that.
    I had one round with the hiring manager and two rounds with the HR. All the rounds were phone interviews only.
    The interview was completely about my previous work (program management) experience.

Interview Questions

• What is one of your biggest challenge at your previous job and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Regional Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Synaptics (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Interview with HR then the hiring manager. I've approached their recruited via LinkedIn and she responded. She called me then asked me to their office for a face to face interview. I was then interviewed by their regional sales director via phone. For some reason that he wasn't impressed with my qualification therefore no further contact. I later on received a rejection email.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this job?   2 Answers

Architect Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Synaptics.

Interview

3 phone calls, one skype session that focuses on programming, and an on site interview. I was contacted by phone, and was immediately asked technical questions. All interviews were technical, and took several weeks from first call to offer.

Interview Questions

• some questions are based on the interviewers knowledge base, otherwise some basic questions about how touchscreens work.   Answer Question

Architecture Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Synaptics (San Jose, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied somewhere in February 2016 for summer internship positions. Recruiter contacted me back in second week of March. Setup an interview following day with two prospective team members. Interview was for 45 min but lasted more than 1:15. Interviewers briefly explained me all 3 positions for which they were considering me and asked me to what position I am most interested. Then they talked little bit about interview moved to algorithm questions.
    I was asked 2 or 3 straight forward algorithm questions. In the end I was asked to optimize C code and C functions for better execution on embedded platform via online code collaboration tool.
    I think they were impressed with conversation. I got verbal offer after two days official offer letter the following week.
    I had a very positive and great experience working at Synaptics during summer 2016. Great people, great work environment and great place to intern in Silicon Valley.

Interview Questions

• Optimize "SOME C FUNCTION" via online collab editor.   2 Answers

CAD Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Synaptics (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

I had applied online for the position. Got a mail from recruiting manager to schedule a phone Interview. Interviewer asked questions about coursework and past projects . Then technical questions were asked related to the position. Interview went well with some technical questions related to analog circuits.

Interview Questions

• Describe the channel length modulation.
      Explain body effect.
      Current mirrors
      Basic semiconductor theory   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Synaptics.

Interview

I had a phone interview and in person interview. I knew a friend who was familiar with the company and he was able to pass my resume along to upper level management and I received a phone interview almost the next day. The phone interview went smoothly. I had some experience in what they were working on, so I just described work I had done in the past. We eventually both felt like it was a good fit.

Interview Questions

• Asked me specific questions about my professional experience   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Synaptics (San Jose, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Set of phone screens followed by lengthy on site interview. Interviewed by 4 separate individuals. Recruiter was incredibly efficient and staff professional. They got back to me within two weeks from my in house interview to let me know they were extending their offer to another party, and disclosed my inability to travel 25%+ was the deal breaking factor (honesty appreciated). One of the best interview processes I've experienced at any Silicon Valley company.

Packaging Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Synaptics (Phoenix, AZ) in September 2015.

Interview

3 phone interviews: one with HR, one with the local business contact and one with the hiring manager. On site interview with 4 different people. All portrayed a very negative work environment with extremely long hours and high stress.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle conflict and working with difficult people?   1 Answer