Synaptics Reviews | Glassdoor

Synaptics President and CEO Rick Bergman
Rick Bergman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a challenge at times (in 5 reviews)

• I have no cons but it is a required field (in 4 reviews)

"Great company to work for, has some challenges that we can hopefully overcome"

Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Synaptics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very smart people, motivated team, innovative, collaborative, excellent lateral mobility, friendly, encouraging, candid, relatively flat organization, easy access to execs, interesting markets, interesting technologies, nice gym + sports court + showers, solid benefits

Cons

Difficult to advance, maturing markets, commoditizing products, dropping margins, flattening revenue

Advice to Management

No company is perfect, or even maintains the facade of perfection for very long, but Synaptics is a great company.

Synaptics has done a very nice job of investing in its future in the past, and needs to continue doing so in order to grow. Make sure that you are growing in areas where you bring value and resist the temptation to venture into non-strategic areas.

Also, please bring back some of the team-building activities that used to occur so frequently back when the stock was hovering close to $100/share. Obviously you need to spend appropriately in the context of the overall business, but a little CNY party here and a Diwali party there would probably keep morale higher and increase the feeling of being on the same team.

Keep having the Technology Conferences, Hackathons, Tech Talks, and other interesting events that do such a great job of engaging our global technical community.

Offer more concrete paths towards career advancement. Obviously, promotions and job assignments are rarely guaranteed, but even something as simple as publicizing internal promotions would make the notion of advancement seem more achievable.

I like the CEO (Rick Bergman) a lot, and would like to see him more regularly spending time outside of his office and interacting with more folks outside of his own management team. I am a firm believer in "Management By Walking Around", and that has been one area upon which I think Rick could improve as I have seen other leaders use this to great effect.

2. "On the downturn"

Former Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Synaptics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Great people outside of upper management
    * Can-do attitude within teams
    * Working on cutting-edge technology that you see out in the hands of consumers

Cons

* Compensation far below market
    * Layoffs becoming the norm, high voluntary attrition of high performers, cutting of programs and people that help morale
    * Cafeteria food has been getting worse and worse, stays the same price
    * Riddled with execution problems, morale and loss of workers negatively affecting our ability to win
    * Executive management out of touch, more worried about buzzwords and bottom lines than building on our strengths
    * The company is attempting to buy margins and revenue through acquisitions, ignoring the technologies that brought us success in the first place
    * Consumer semiconductor is being commoditized and price-pressured by Chinese companies, affecting compensation, headcount, and employee programs... this trend will not reverse

Advice to Management

Talk to the employees! Worry less about short-term goals dictated by financiers and Wall St...Invest in your workforce to see the execution you desire. Stop desiring indefinite YoY growth.

3. "Good place and great people"

Former Employee - Senior Staff Design Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Design Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Synaptics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits and the total compensation package are very good. But the people in the small design centers in Phoenix, Austin, and Rochester are top notch.

Cons

Typical of the high tech industry which is always susceptible to layoff.

4. "Great team, pleasure to work with."

I have been working at Synaptics full-time

Pros

Focus on innovation, talent is appreciated and rewarded

Cons

competition in the marketplace is tough

5. "Flexible schedule, interesting problems, great people"

I have been working at Synaptics full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, interesting problems, great people

Cons

I have no cons but it is a required field

6. "Come and Get It"

Current Employee - Systems Engineering Manager in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Systems Engineering Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Synaptics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment (facilities, equipment, people).

Cons

Odd hours overlapping multiple time zones.

Advice to Management

Great leaders build a successful business.

7. "Good employees, poor management"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Synaptics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance, they promote and advance women and minorities, the managers do not micromanage, the office is nice with a good cafeteria and gym, and they are serious about making a difference in their community. The combination of all these things are impressive.

Cons

They keep overpromising and under delivering, while our competitors delivered. They just did not seem to grasp the complexity of some projects and underestimated how long it would take to make it work. This caused our customers to not trust our schedules and turn to competitors whose schedules they could trust.

Advice to Management

Keep all the pros I listed, and start taking making accurate schedules more seriously.

8. "engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Firmware Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Firmware Engineer

I have been working at Synaptics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great individual people. smart talented engineering team.

Cons

Management. Atmosphere has become toxic recently. One senior manager is constantly berating people in meetings- what's the point?

Advice to Management

Rein in the poor managers. Listen to the engineers and working stiffs. I used to admire the culture here , even when going through hard times. No longer, as the atmpshere has become toxic. I dread going to program reviews.

9. "Engineer"

I have been working at Synaptics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent innovative products. Consumer sector so you see your friends and family using what you designed.

Cons

Long work hours and jobs moving over seas

Advice to Management

Let the best engineers meet with key customers

10. "Not very optimistic..."

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Synaptics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting technologies, and some good engineers. Good work-life balance. Still a leader in human computer interface but not for long...

Cons

Leadership is just not good and has decided to follow the market instead of driving it. There is no plan, no vision, and no trust to the company's engineers. That makes projects predictable and boring. No growth unless you are in a few select groups.

Advice to Management

Wake up !