TOPS Markets Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 2, 2017

1.7

Cashier/Produce Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mayville, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TOPS Markets (Mayville, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

I already knew the manager personally, as we started school together. But, she saw me in the store, one day, and said they were looking for cashiers. I wasn't currently working, so I then officially applied online. She called me a couple of days later. I was hired that day.

Interview Questions

• It was more of a conversation than an interview. The manager already knew a lot of my work history and knew that I was a stay-at-home mom. She knew that I had cashier experience from working for Tops in a different location and from another grocery store.   1 Answer

Cashier/Helping Hands Interview

Anonymous Employee in Penfield, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TOPS Markets (Penfield, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

It was pretty fast, the guy could tell I was nervous and just helped me try to feel a little more comfortable. They really needed people bad, so even if I went in there acting stupid. They still would have hired me.

Front End Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Owego, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at TOPS Markets (Owego, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

Brief. Basically run through your entire application with you and ask you to explain more in depth your work history. Whether or not it's a group interview depends on what department you are working in and how many managers run that department. For example, if you're applying for the Front End position, you will have all managers (for myself it was 3) in charge alternate asking you questions. You will also be informed, in detail, of the job requirements.

Interview Questions

• They will definitely ask you about any gaps in employment, especially if they were/are longer than a year apart.   Answer Question

Front End Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at TOPS Markets.

Interview

Applied online and got a call within a few days and asked to come in for an interview. Interview went okay, questions are pretty basic. I actually interviewed at 2 different locations--first location was basic interview style questions and the other was more low key and it was more of a conversation than an interview. First place said they'd call me within a few days and called me a week later. They asked me to come in for an orientation either the the saturday coming up or the next and told they'd call me within a couple days and they never did. By the time they called nearly a week and a half later, I had already interviewed at the 2nd place and said I would like to switch to that one...and then that place never called me.

Interview Questions

• What are three of your best achievements?
      Tell me about yourself.
      What would you say is your greatest weakness?
      What brings you to tops?
      What are you interested in doing here?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springville, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at TOPS Markets (Springville, NY) in December 2015.

Interview

It was easy and fast i went in there hoping for a job and they told me things that i did not want to here like the pay and much more.

Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at TOPS Markets (Buffalo, NY).

Interview

The interview was very good and fun. I got hired the next day. So it was good. The interviewer would ask personal questions and make jokes to loosen you up if your nervous. Plus she was very nice and warm. The interview lasted about 20 mins ,so that was another plus for them. I just wish the room where we were at was a little warmer.

Interview Questions

• Why do you wanna work in this type of business   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Hilton, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TOPS Markets (Hilton, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

It lasted about 8 minutes and there were two women who interviewed me, one asked all the questions and talked, the other just sat in and listened. I was asked a few questions then they told me about the company. I did not have any questions for them because I was a little cloudy for some reason, but I suggest you think of at least a few questions you can ask at the interview if they do not go over them. agter the questions they had me sign and read a few papers about my criminal record and I needed my SSN so be sure to have that with you. I was asked to bring 2 forms of ID and all she did was take a glance at them, I'm sure it's more useful ounces hired.

Interview Questions

• What would your reference say about you?   1 Answer
    • When are you available?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about yourself   1 Answer
    • What do you like to do in your free time?

What are your tasks at your current job?   Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dansville, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at TOPS Markets (Dansville, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

Very easy going and pleasant to go to this interview the interviewer was kind and nice. She didn't make it unconformable at all in the process. She asked many questions.

Interview Questions

• Are you good at lifting heavy items.   1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at TOPS Markets in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online for two different locations and received calls from both locations about a week later for an interview.
    Location #1 had me interview with an office manager because the manager was out. She was very pleasant questions were very easy. I asked her about my duties and she said that in the evenings it's pretty slow so I would be stocking shelves mostly. Said I would receive a call the next day.
    Location #2 the manager was also very pleasant. The questions were a lot different, mostly about myself. This location was focused on your personality traits. She said I would receive a call in 3 days.
    I accepted Location #2 because they called first and was happy with either location. Location #1 called the day after Location #2.

Interview Questions

• What are your three biggest achievements?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at tops?   1 Answer
    • What are your summer hours like?   1 Answer
    • Are you ok with handling cash or interacting with customers?   1 Answer
    • Best and worst traits?   1 Answer
    • What would your reference say about you?   1 Answer
    • Favorite subject?   1 Answer
    • Do you plan on working here a long time or just in the summer?   1 Answer

Price Control Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at TOPS Markets (Rochester, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I received a phone call 2- 3 weeks after filling out an online application. I was told to bring all relevant forms of identification and was hired immediately following a 15 minute interview. Discussed short and long term goals, general availability and relevant experience. Fairly generic process. Was one of several new hires that day.