Texas Campaign for the Environment Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 1, 2016

1.6

Interviews for Top Jobs at Texas Campaign for the Environment

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Texas Campaign for the Environment (Dallas, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview has 2 phases. The first phase is the actual interview. I was interviewed with staff director for about 15-20 mins and offered to join the observation day. The observation day is the second phase of the interview. It is a great place to learn the environmental issues and gain experiences. The coworkers are very friendly and knowledgable.

Environmentalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Texas Campaign for the Environment (Dallas, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

Brief interview discussing political/environmental convictions. Asked to do a job shadow next day. Door-to-door fundraising work with commission based on how much you raise for the cause. Required working until about 10:00pm, knocking on doors. I got a ride to the area we were canvassing in with a group of people, but after I had the cops called me for knocking on doors after sundown, I got an Uber and got the hell away from these people.

Interview Questions

• What other issues are important to you? What other campaigns have you worked for?   Answer Question

Seriously? I had the cops called on me.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Texas Campaign for the Environment (Austin, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

Very relaxed and brief. You just need to show that you have a passion for the environment as this position is best served by someone who cares about the issues. Dress in the office is very casual, but I would still look nice/ dress more on the business side to show your taking the interview process/ position seriously.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Community Organizer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Texas Campaign for the Environment.

Interview

The interview was not to long, only about 5-10 minutes. The director went over the basic role of a field organizer. They were very thorough in their explanation of the job and made me feel really empowered about coming back for the second interview which is called observation day. This second interview gave me a chance to see how the organization gets people involved and finds its supporters in the community. By the end of the interview I was ready to start right away, unfortunately I could not start until the next day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Texas Campaign for the Environment (Houston, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

They tell you about the romantic aspect of the job such as you are changing the world. But thy never detail what you actually have to do. I was not ask any real questions.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Texas Campaign for the Environment (Dallas, TX) in December 2013.

Interview

I saw the ad on Craigslist and called the office to set up an interview. They emailed me an application which I filled out and sent back. They had me come in for an in person interview at their office. I was given information about the campaigns to read while I waited. I spoke with the director for about 10 minutes. They went over TCE victories and current campaigns and explained what the work (canvassing) was. I was invited back for the second interview. It's a volunteer, unpaid day where you shadow a senior staff person around and they teach you how to canvass. You get an hour to try it out and see if its for you. Afterwards, I met back with the director and they said I was recommended for the job and I could start the next day!

Interview Questions

• What are your environmental concerns? What about the ad prompted you to call for an interview?   1 Answer

Negotiation

$425/week is the pay.

Grassroots Organizer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Texas Campaign for the Environment (Dallas, TX) in June 2013.

Interview

I was offered a position after answering a posting on craigslist.
    The interview process was painfully unprofessional.
    After filling out a skimpy resume and being told that this was an impartial group it was obvious that this was not the agenda of the organization. Bipartisanship was non existent.
    The interview lasted five minutes and I was given a job almost immediately.

Interview Questions

• It is the easiest interview I have offered done. They take anyone was is at all interested in the job.   Answer Question

Negotiation

N/A

Community Organizer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Texas Campaign for the Environment in February 2013.

Interview

There is no interview process. You fill out the application, you do a volunteer day, they hire you.the person who "interviewed" me when i turned in my app didn't even look at it. It wan't until days later that a trainer asked me about the things that were on it.

Interview Questions

• she only asked me if i was one of those people who was "ready to get out there and change the world".   1 Answer

Negotiation

There are no negotiations you make $400 a week. You are expected to raise double your salary.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Texas Campaign for the Environment (Austin, TX) in October 2011.

Interview

It's a pretty standard interview. You will talk with the canvass director and mainly I think they are looking to make sure you are reasonably well spoken and have some interest in the work. The interview process is not difficult because they real test is whether or not you will be able to meet the fundraising standards once you get hired. If you don't, you will not last more than a week or two.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember, It was generally the standard questions you would expect.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Texas Campaign for the Environment (Austin, TX) in January 2011.

Interview

When I called, I was asked a few questions about my political and environmental interests, then got scheduled for a first interview. Then I submitted an online application before I showed up at the office. The questions weren't that difficult, but were very personalized: why do I care about environmental issues and why do I believe I can do the kind of work necessary to make social change. It made me feel like my point of view really mattered, which was cool. I was also asked about my communication skills, then given a description of a typical workday. At the end, I was invited back for a second interview, which is a full day with the campaign staff shadowing one of the trainers. Getting to see how the job works before actually offering the position is a very smart way to do things. Everyone should do it like this, especially when you don't really know what "community organizing" entails before you apply for the job. At the end of the volunteer day (the second interview), I was offered the position and asked to commit to a paid training. Very happy that I did.

Interview Questions

• Why do you care about the environment and why do you want to work to protect it?   Answer Question
    • How confident are you in your communication skills, dealing with strangers and educating them about issues that are important to you?   Answer Question