Textio Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Textio

3.3

Leadership Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Textio (Seattle, WA).

Interview

well communicated take home test. presentation kicks off a full day review of the results of that test. the rest of the full day uses the problem and solution as context for discussion.

Interview Questions

• explain the design decision you made in solving this problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I interviewed at Textio (Seattle, WA) in June 2018.

Interview

Stay away from Textio. There was an initial 2 hour coding challenge, then a technical round, then another 8 hour take home project, followed by a full day of onsite interviews. It was the biggest waste of time I've ever seen for an interview process, especially since they didn't give any useful feedback afterward. On the bright side, it was at least useful practice for interviews at other companies which ended up offering 2-3x more than the Glassdoor numbers for this company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Textio (Seattle, WA) in August 2018.

Interview

I wanted so much to like this process, as the recruiter was kind, as was the interviewer. While it was a change from standard tech interview (always good), the communication and execution around the coding exercise was off, and certainly wouldn’t tell them much about my demonstrated ability to do my job. I love that they’re ditching the white board, but I think they still have further to go in not letting great devs/good people slip through.

Interview Questions

• A front-end and backend code exercise. Clear your schedule.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Textio.

Interview

After an initial phone screen, I was scheduled for a technical interview with an assigned project. They gave me about a day to complete the project, and then I talked through it with a couple of data scientists over video call. The assignment was challenging, but the interview was relaxed. There weren't any "gotcha" moments, and it didn't seem like either interviewer was trying to ferret out inadequacies. It was just a frank assessment of skills and thought processes.
    They then scheduled me for an on-site, which also had an assigned project. They gave me a week to complete it, and then I spent a full day at the office meeting with various members of different teams. They asked difficult questions and scrutinized my work really closely, but it all felt very fair. They also took me out to lunch and kept their promise that the lunch hour was *not* an interview.
    The HR team did a great job with scheduling and accommodating me. They took requests into consideration and went out of their way to make me feel comfortable.
    It's a pretty heavy process with the take-home assignments and full day on-site, but I prefer that to coding interviews. It can seem like a lot to ask, but the assignments are reflective of whatever work you'd be doing there, which is good information to have.

Interview Questions

• Walk through your code line-by-line with a group, and justify any decisions you made.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Textio (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Recruiter phone screen, written exercise, on site interview with a sales manager and another phone call with a rep.

In my last phone call with the AE we discussed their lack of a VP and head of sales. They replied that they were “taking their time to add someone who could add diversity to the team. Not just another white guy”. I found this highly inappropriate.

The next day I was sent a form email saying they would not be moving forward. When I asked for feedback from the recruiter they didn’t respond.

Interview Questions

Textio Response

Mar 29, 2019 – Recruiting Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. While it’s never great to hear that a candidate had a negative experience, we are grateful for you bringing this to our attention. We want to sincerely apologize and let... More

Front End Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Textio (Seattle, WA).

Interview

3 rounds of interviews.
    1. HR/ Standard get to know you call
    2. Skype with one of their developers using take home challenge as basis.
    3. Invited into their office for a "full day" interview (which only turned out to be 2 hrs) where the main topic of discussion was how to make your take home challenge better.

No real feedback given as to why they weren't moving forward.

Interview Questions

Textio Response

Jul 23, 2018 – Recruiting Specialist

I am so sorry to hear that this was your experience and appreciate your willingness to share this feedback. Every candidate is special to our team and your insight will help us continue to improve... More

Customer Success Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Textio (Seattle, WA) in November 2018.

Interview

Applied online in early October, and then received an introduction to the recruiter and hiring manager from an internal employee. I had an initial phone screen with the recruiter a few days later, followed by a written exercise that they asked that I spend no more than 30-60 minutes on.

I completed this exercise and was told I’d hear next steps within a week. Two weeks later, the recruiter contacted me to schedule an in-person interview with the hiring manager and another member of the team. This meeting went well, and lasted approximately an hour and a half. I was told the next steps would entail a presentation and analysis, followed by a full day of interviews with various team members.

A week later, I was provided instructions and a data set to analyze, and scheduled for the all-day interview. I was told I would have one week to complete the analysis before the interview, but didn’t receive the materials until mid-week (the interview would be the following Monday).

The in-person interview consisted of my presentation to a group, followed by several individual interviews and lunch with two team members. It was about six hours in total. Eventually I was called by the recruiter, again later than when I was told I would be contacted, and informed they would not be moving forward as my experience wasn’t quite a fit for the role.

The people at Textio were terrific. Incredibly smart, accomplished, diverse, committed to their product and mission, and welcoming. I also appreciated that they emphasized a mutual fit in filling the role, and gave me ample time to ask my own questions. If the sense early on was that my experience and approach weren't quite a match, then the interview process felt overly long and also a little sloppy, especially since the follow up in multiple instances was well after when I was told it would be.

Interview Questions

• Is this customer at risk of churning? Why or why not?   Answer Question
    • How would you strengthen the relationship with an at-risk customer?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Textio (Seattle, WA) in February 2018.

Interview

Logistics: Several separate in-person informational meetings with various team members, followed by a full-day on-site interview. The first hour of the on-site was a presentation in which I walked a group through my solution to the take-home technical problem I'd been given a week prior. The rest of the day focused on technical discussions using the take-home problem as context, and behavioral questions.

Experience: My Textio interview was a lot more fun--and felt more effective--than my interviews for similar roles elsewhere. I got the sense that Textio was actually trying to figure out who I am, how I work, and how I would add the most value, rather than testing to see whether I fit into a narrow job description. They were not screening me for familiarity with any specific technologies and there were no 'gotchas'. Discussions felt collaborative and questions felt grounded in curiosity. I appreciated the way they focused technical discussions on a take-home problem. It felt a lot more realistic than, say, doing SQL on a whiteboard. I got to meet many of the people I'd be working with and they gave me plenty of time to ask my own questions to get a sense of whether the opportunity was the right fit for me.

Interview Questions

• How would your approach to the take-home machine learning problem change if model explainability was equally if not more important than prediction quality?   Answer Question

Frontend Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Textio (Seattle, WA) in November 2017.

Interview

Never made it to the phone screen. The interviewer was exceedingly disorganized and unprofessional. Was a no-show on my phone screen and then was unprofessional on the email--no apology offered, can't even get my name right. She offered to have my interview again, but I declined. This is clearly not the right company.

Dec 5, 2017 – Recruiting Specialist

We understand how time consuming and stressful interviewing can be and it is disappointing that this was your experience and for that, we are truly sorry. Thank you for the candid feedback and for... More

Frontend Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Textio (Seattle, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

I went to a React Meetup sponsored by Textio and was inspired by their platform and speaker. I chatted with a Software Engineer on the team who directed me to apply through their careers email. I initially met over coffee with their Chief of Staff. There was a short take home problem and then an hour on-site interview with one of the senior software engineers. Next was a longer take home and a 6 hour on-site interview.

The Textio team was very friendly and extremely intelligent.