The Scripps Research Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Scripps Research Institute Interview Questions

Updated Feb 20, 2017

2.5

Intern Interview

Interview

Very informal as it is a lab.
    They test to see capabilities and understanding of data entry and lab protocol. They asked what my goals were after graduating. They asked about my interests.

Interview Questions

• What relevant coursework was taken?   1 Answer

Research Assistant I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Scripps Research Institute (San Diego, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Interviewed with technical recruiter and it was a standard interview. Met with the deparmtent chair, a grad student, and associate professor inside the laboratory to discuss previous research, and it was oddly a relaxed conversation.

Interview Questions

• Technical Recruiter:
      What are your career plans in 2 years? and 5 years?
      Tell me a time your work was criticized.
      What skills do you want to gain?
      What do you hate about working in a lab?
      What type of personalities do you prefer to work with?
      What are your favorite accomplishments in your previous work?

Department:
      What is kcat and km?
      What is your favorite course and why?
      Tell me about your previous research.   Answer Question

Senior Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The Scripps Research Institute (La Jolla, CA).

Interview

I actually contacted the PI to see if he had an opening for someone with my skills. He said that at the time he was looking more for Postdocs. I asked him to keep me in mind for the future. I contacted him again a month later and we discussed a position for me. In the end I was offered a position.

Interview Questions

• My skill set, type of experiments I perform on a regular basis.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate for anything. I really wanted to stay at TSRI so I was happy to keep my current pay.

Interview

One graduate officer and one professor came to Shanghai, China. We met at Westin Hotel. The interview lasted for 20 mins with officer and 20mins with professor. After 3 days, I received the offer from them.

Interview Questions

• Talk about your research background?   1 Answer

Research Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Scripps Research Institute.

Interview

The process took almost a month. I first received a digital interview and was contacted by HR 2 weeks after for an in-person interview at Scripps Florida. I met with the PI and post-docs and HR.

Research Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at The Scripps Research Institute (San Diego, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Filled an application online and i received an email with various times and dates to schedule an interview about 1 week and a half after filling out application. First is an interview with HR, very technical questions. Mostly behavioral and if you are able to move around freely or lift certain weight. Then some prepared question of technical stuff. After about 1 hour i was sent to the lab for an interview with the PI and the group. The PI had a conference call so i waited for about 40 mins for the interview. He told me all about the lab and things he expected me to do in the lab. At the end he gave me a quiz and told me to turn it it when i was done and go take a look at the lab if i wanted to.

Interview Questions

• can you work overtime and come during weekends if needed?   Answer Question

Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Scripps Research Institute (San Diego, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I got a phone call and was asked to describe my work experience and background. It was pretty easy and had two people interview me over the phone. Got the job in about a week later.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Scripps Research Institute (San Diego, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Usually you will meet with the PI and the post-doc and have a conversation about your lab experience . At the meantime they will explain their research goal to you. It takes around 30-45mins

Interview Questions

• Basically they will ask your lab experience and why you are interested in this lab. If you are a current student, they will ask if you have taken any lab or courses that are related to the research.   Answer Question

Research Assistant I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Scripps Research Institute.

Interview

the first interview was at human resources, lightly behavioral, mostly about background and previous experience. the second interview was done by the lab manager with attention to technical skills and availability to start on the position if selected. I was also asked about computer skills and communication style.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Scripps Research Institute (La Jolla, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

- Phone interview with HR to go over basics of my resume
    - One on one interview with HR in their office to ask more in depth questions about me and my resume
    - One on one interview with director, manager, and EH&S staff