The Scripps Research Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at The Scripps Research Institute

2.5

Lab Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Scripps Research Institute (San Diego, CA).

Interview

I submitted my resume online. The staff hiring manager contacted me through email and told me to pick a day to schedule my interview. Most communication was done by email Come interview day, I went into the lab, had a conversation with 4 of the other lab members, mostly me asking them questions. Then after the head researcher interviewed me and we had like a 10 minute talk.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe yourself?

Do you have any questions for me?   Answer Question

Staff Scientist Interview

Interview

Phone interview from HR and Lab's personnels. Depending on which lab carrying the search, the questions are different. The phone interviews may last for 1 hr each. May ask for the subjects' knowledge, questions on the research summary. Inform about which tasks would the position require.

Staff Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Scripps Research Institute (La Jolla, CA) in July 2009.

Interview

This was not a typical interview that consisted of an all day affair where I had to give a presentation and meet a number of people within the team. Instead, I approached the hiring manager to discuss both our needs. We came to an understanding on how we could contribute to each others success, and then the hiring manager made me an offer the following day.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate the package.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Scripps Research Institute in March 2017.

Interview

filed online application, then got phone call from my supervisor , talked for about one hour, at the end of our conversation, he said he would like me to come.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Scripps Research Institute (San Diego, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Usually you will meet with the PI and the post-doc and have a conversation about your lab experience . At the meantime they will explain their research goal to you. It takes around 30-45mins

Interview Questions

• Basically they will ask your lab experience and why you are interested in this lab. If you are a current student, they will ask if you have taken any lab or courses that are related to the research.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

Very informal as it is a lab.
    They test to see capabilities and understanding of data entry and lab protocol. They asked what my goals were after graduating. They asked about my interests.

Interview Questions

• What relevant coursework was taken?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Scripps Research Institute.

Interview

The interview process comprised of speaking with the PI and postdoc. Questions were mostly about prior experiences and about the ongoing research. There were a few basic behavioral questions asked.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Scripps Research Institute (San Diego, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

Very simple, 2 interviews with the lab PI and one with everyone in the lab. My resume and relevant classwork was looked over, and we discussed what projects I would potentially be involved in and how I would contribute.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to go into research, what is your past experience?   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Scripps Research Institute (San Diego, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

I spoke with the postdoc who was hiring me over email, after he advertised the position in a class I was taking in October of 2013. He invited me to meet him at his lab. To be honest, I did not know it was an interview, but I always dress nice and have my mind prepared. He asked me about my experience and my interests. And he spoke about his research. I just asked some questions about his research. And just like that I was hired without him telling me I was hired. He just asked me when I was free to come in for him to show me some things. He told me to do a formal application online. It was the first formal job I've ever had, and I expected something different, but I think it was overall very good.

I should note that other people may have a much different experience than I did with the interview process.

Interview Questions

• What classes did you take that you think would prepare you to understand what we are doing in this lab?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Scripps Research Institute in January 2011.

Interview

Most communication was done by email. Meeting with the recruiter was laid-back. I later learned much of the information the recruiter gave me was inaccurate. Most of the interview was spent trying to convince me to take the job. A few computer tests were administered. After passing the tests, I was asked to meet with the department manager.