The Trade Desk Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Trade Desk (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

I had three interview (1 phone and 2 on-sites). I met employees from a range of teams, as well as managers and leadership from the Client Services team that I would be joining. The final on-site interview included a demo to a Hiring Manager and Head of Client Services.

Interview Questions

• Explain your knowledge of adtech and The Trade Desk's role in the industry.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at The Trade Desk (Ventura, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

As most people have said, their interview and hiring process is very thorough. The whole process took almost 2 months because there were quite a few steps to go through.

Everyone I spoke to was very friendly, energetic and very willing to share their experiences working at the company. No one had a bad thing to say about working there which was very encouraging. Communication throughout the whole process was very good.

The whole process was:

1.) 30 minute introduction phone call with a hiring manager. Spoke about the business, what they do, their culture and their ideals. We also spoke a little bit about myself and my background.

2.) 1 hour introduction interview at their Ventura office. Spoke 1 on 1 with one of the senior engineers there. Similar to the phone call, except more detail. Spoke in depth about the technical side of the company, their stack and their processes. Also went into more detail about myself, my skills and my background.

3.) At home programming test. They emailed a document with a scenario and I was told to provide a design and implementation. The implementation should be production quality. They encouraged asking questions about anything I was not clear on. There is no time limit, as they understand people may have an existing job and might not be able to carve out a few hours to complete this right away. This wasn't too difficult, and is a great introduction into the types of problems you might work on at the company.

4.) Remote review of the programming test. Once I completed and submitted my implementation I reviewed it with one of the senior engineers via GoToMeeting. We spoke about my implementation and why I chose to do things certain ways, and the tradeoffs of those choices.

5.) Remote whiteboard exercise with a different developer. This was a pretty standard whiteboarding exercise via GoToMeeting. The interviewer was very helpful and provided very quick hints and feedback. The first 30 minutes or so were talking about the company and culture which was great to ease the nervousness.

6.) Another remote whiteboard exercise with yet another developer. This was also a very standard whiteboard exercise via GoToMeeting. Again, this developer was very helpful and was very willing to provide hints and feedback.

7.) In person interview at their Ventura office. I met with 3 more developers for 1 hour each. Each was a different whiteboard exercise. 2 of the developers asked some general development strategy and design questions after the whiteboard exercises.

Again, the whole process is definitely a marathon, but they are ensuring that you not only know your stuff but that there is an equal cultural fit on both sides.

Interview Questions

• At home programming exercise. Provide an implementation using production quality code.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Trade Desk.

Interview

I was really interested in this company, but they need to seriously reconsider their hiring process. It felt a lot like Google of ten years ago - phone screen after phone screen after phone screen. Once during the process, I had to wait two weeks for a reply because of some problem with their spam filters. Another time, I was ignored for weeks because I'd been confused with some other candidate...why were they ignoring this other candidate like this anyways? I exited the process entirely after my last interviewer hadn't reviewed my resume at all, and insulted my last company/job title.

Interview Questions

The Trade Desk Response

Jan 7, 2016 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Our sincere apologies for the scheduling snafu you experienced. This is not normal for us, and we truly regret any inconvenience it caused you. We are a geo-distributed team, so part of our... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Trade Desk (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

I got an online coding test first then never heard back from them. I thought I was doing well in the 1st round so I sent a follow-up email to confirm if I was selected for the next round. 1 week later I was contacted by a HR saying there was some glitch in interview scheduling so my interview was postponed. 1 month later she was finally able to schedule an video interview for me. The interview lasted 8 minutes or less, cuz the tech director said he had a meeting & had to leave immediately. I never heard from them anymore and I lost all my interest in this company.

Interview Questions

• How did you architect the back end of your website?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at The Trade Desk (Bellevue, WA) in May 2018.

Interview

Coding challenge, homework assignment, on-site.

The coding challenge was a Hackerrank problem, like an easy Leetcode problem.
    The homework assignment is pretty long and the specifications are kind of open-ended, but they have a clear idea of what they want.

I was applying from a different state and when we had to schedule the on-site interview, they sort of went "well... you'll have to be here for the interview..." No offer to fly me over for the on-site. No suggestions for alternatives like doing it over video chat. I got myself over there and they didn't even offer to reimburse the $25 parking fee to park at their office.

The questions at the on-site were not that difficult, they were like easy to medium Leetcode problems. The biggest issue I had is that each of the interviewers for the on-site gave me only really positive feedback. They said things like "wow I have no constructive criticism for you, you did so much better than I have ever seen a new grad do", but when I didn't get the offer, I got feedback like "I didn't see any greatness" from the same interviewer. Incredibly misleading and unprofessional. Waste of time.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Trade Desk in October 2018.

Interview

I was asked to implement an n-way set associative cache. I enjoyed the problem, because it gave me more space from an architecture standpoint than the standard whiteboard-style problem. We were told that our solution could be in c#, java, or python, but c# was heavily preferred. I chose to use c#, the preferred language, which I have no experience in (and was upfront about that fact). We were encouraged to ask questions about the problem, but my only point of contact was a recruiter, who's technical skill topped out at "the third link of googling your exact question." This was a problem, because the recruiter was solely responsible for my hiring decision, and my hiring decision was made based on shortcomings the recruiter perceived that were a result of me being unfamiliar with language-specific idioms, and the recruiter being even less familiar with them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Trade Desk (Broomfield, CO) in March 2018.

Interview

They give you a problem that they give every other interview candidate. It is esoteric, makes 0 sense (why write a cpu cache in c#), shows very little about your ability to to program, and is a complete waste of time.

Interview Questions

• A cpu level set-associative cache in C#   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The Trade Desk.

Interview

For three times, the manager forgot about my technical phone interviews. It was a terrible experience to waste 30 min every time to wait for the recruiter to contact the manager. The manager was either at a meeting or someone's desk being "busy". At the end, I have never spoke with the manager who was supposed to interview me. I would advice others to avoid this company.

Interview Questions

• Never had the chance to be interviewed due to manager being unavailable at the last moment (for three times).   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at The Trade Desk in April 2018.

Interview

The Trade Desk invited us in for a description of their stack and gave us an interview question (N Way Set Associative Cache) to be completed in 30 days. They mentioned that we could reach out and asked questions, but they never responded to any of the questions I asked over the month. This should have been my first red flag, but I spent over 40 hours to complete the assignment, tweaking it as I went along. The following workday, they reply back that they did not want to continue the interview.

Interview Questions

• Build an in-memory cache system in (C#, Java, or Python) with type-safe keys and values in a library format. Provide a LRU and a MRU replacement algorithm along with a custom replacement algorithm.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at The Trade Desk in January 2018.

Interview

Started with a 1 hr video call (screening process). Interviewer talked the entire hour and apologetically did not leave time for me to ask any question. Interviewer had to relinquish the room they were interviewing from and we were done.

TDD gave me a coding assignment they believed should take 10+ hours to complete. Upon completing the coding assignment, I was given new requirements for the same project. The new requirements conflicted with the original assignment. Ultimately, I was asked to invest even more time on their exercise.

After completing the revisions, the interviewer told me I had failed because of "reason X" and TDD was not going to continue with the interviewing process. I was shocked because my code had "reason X". I asked the interviewer to clarify "reason X" and their response was “Oops, I messed up. Sorry. Your code was just fine.” Frustrating, but this was good news.

The next step, my code was reviewed by a different committee. Committee responded back with "you fail because reason X". I just about lost my mind. There are 2 options of what happened:

[1] TDD did not spend any time reviewing the time consuming code they asked me to write.
    [2] TDD code reviewing team is incompetent.

Either way, I was relieved the process was over and happy to walk away from this hot mess. As an applicant, this has been my worst experience to date.

Interview Questions

• Design and implement an N-way, Set-Associative cache   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Trade Desk (Seattle, WA) in March 2018.

Interview

There was a HackerRank-based coding-test for screening. After that was followed up with HR for next steps which involved having a video-interview with one of the engineers. It was non-technical, more of them learning more about me & me learning about the position and company. Though he seemed distracted at times, he was cheerful & good to talk to. I was given a coding exercise with good amount of time to complete. IMO it was a good step since the question tested for important concepts & foundational knowledge while giving you ample time to work on it, as opposed to traditional interviews.
                                       The following steps supposed to be after that were a discussion with the engineers about the assignment followed by an on-site. Unfortunately I was unable to submit the assignment due to whatever reasons, so I cannot say how my rest of the experience would have been. But I wanted to mention that they were patient and understanding during the process, giving me time & space required. I appreciate that especially since there are many companies where recruitment process seems so impersonal & robotic due to the attitude of the HRs, interviewers, policies, etc.

Interview Questions

• implementing a cache-placement policy as a library. production level code & documentation required.   Answer Question