Theory Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 15, 2017

2.7

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Theory (New York, NY).

Interview

After submitting my resume for the 2nd time, a year later I was contacted by the District Manager. Scheduled interviewed, then it was rescheduled. Interview went well, followed up a week later, then I was contacted my the recruiter, another great interview. A week has passed and I've heard nothing else.

Merchandising Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Theory in March 2017.

Interview

Basic phone interview, typical questions. The woman was not particularly engaging and seemed pretty uninterested in anything I had to say. She asked a lot about my interest in fashion and my interest in Theory.

Interview Questions

• Who are Theory's competitors   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Theory in March 2017.

Interview

Received a one line email from HR. "Send me your resume" Nothing else.
    This was followed a few days later by someone asking me to come to the office at a specific day and time. Not given a choice or option. Clearly.
    I was supposed to meet HR. She wasn't there. No emails. No notes. No explanation.
    I then met with the hiring manager for that position which went ok.
    This review is not about the job itself, it's about the lack of communication, and frankly, lack of care from HR. No one is asking to be friends, but a little respect and politeness would be perfectly fine. Looking for a job is not a criminal act.
    I did send a note to her afterwards and one to the person who greeted me at the office asking for the emails of the people I met. ...cold shoulder is all I got from both of them. Haha.
    A few reviews mention how disorganized HR is. Maybe their management should look into this first before hiring any candidates.

Interview Questions

• Interview was well organized as it was more of a discussion.   Answer Question

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Theory (New York, NY).

Interview

The whole process took about a week. Only met with 1 person - my direct report. I was referred. It was the easiest interview. Didn't realize at the time this says a lot about many of the people working here... Also no interview with HR meant I didn't get a chance to ask about benefits or career growth, which backfired on me. But they probably would have lied anyway.

Interview Questions

Theory Response

Nov 17, 2016 – Senior Director, Talent Acquisition

Hi. I am so sorry that you had such a terrible interview experience. I am surprised to read that you didn't interview with anyone in Recruiting. I am the Head of Talent here and we interview every ... More

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Theory in April 2016.

Interview

I emailed my resume to the HR department, & received an email to set up a phone interview call. I was notified I received a second round interview the following week. I was not in NYC at the time so they accommodated me by setting up a Skype interview, which was fairly straight forward with normal interview questions -- mainly informative, rather than behavioral. I found out two weeks later that I received the position.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Theory (New York, NY).

Interview

A few days after applying, the HR Coordinator emailed me in regards to setting up an interview. I first met with her, then met with the Director of HR, the person I would be assisting, and the Planner. I met with each person for around 20 minutes and wasn't asked anything ordinary.

Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Theory (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Quick to contact, emailed me back the same day I sent email. Went to a near by coffee shop, answered standard retail questions and manager was very personable. I enjoyed the process, and felt that the interview went well. Although after I sent my thank you letter I didn't hear back. It's unfortunate some companies are going the route of not contacting unless they are thinking of hiring.

Interview Questions

• Have you worked in the area, what brings you to NY   1 Answer

Nov 17, 2016 – Senior Director, Talent Acquisition

Hi! I am so sorry that you never heard back from Theory. We try our best to close the loop on all candidates we interview and I'm sorry if for some reason we dropped the ball on this one. We greatly ... More

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Theory in February 2015.

Interview

FaceTime interview with the regional director. 34-45 minutes worth of very friendly chatting. Interview covered skills and processes from my previous role, as well as some questions about my ability to work outside the store to build traffic and sales. Very personable questions about my passions, strengths and plans for building business.

Interview Questions

• What was one challenge and one success from your previous role?   Answer Question

Regional Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Theory (Miami, FL) in October 2014.

Interview

Grueling and disorganized from the recruiter perspective but after 5 interviews with various departments I was initially pleased with the people and felt I would build great relationships . I was wrong unfortunately because things are not as they first appear. The interview process took too long and I almost accepted another offer in the tone it took to set up next steps

Interview Questions

• Why I was interested in a role I was over qualified for .   1 Answer

Negotiation

Easy they were agreeable to compensation

Nov 17, 2016 – Senior Director, Talent Acquisition

Hi. I am so sorry that you had such a terrible interview experience! Please feel to reach out to me as I would love to hear more about what went wrong. I take great pride in creating a smooth ... More

Key Holder Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Theory (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

2 interviews in the process. First with the GM. Second with the National Hiring Manager. Casual meetings. As much of a character evaluation as an experience analysis.