ThousandEyes Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ThousandEyes Interview Questions

Updated Jul 3, 2017

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at ThousandEyes (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

First chat with recruiter, then did mini project that's about 6-8~ hours, then went onsite for 3 back to back interviews. Amazing people, really saw myself working there, some last minute decisions drew me elsewhere but still highly recommend. Process is very fast, recruiters are nice and responsive, onsite was super chill too. They're really trying to improve, from their technology to their interview process. I look forward to hearing good things about them in the future.

Interview Questions

• The questions are designed to check if you understand coding principles such as encapsulation. They also probe to see if you know how to code. No trick questions.   Answer Question

UI/User Experience Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ThousandEyes.

Interview

Contacted by the recruiter and scheduled an interview with their CTO. The CTO forgot to call me on the planned interview time. After getting touch with the recruiter again, the CTO assigned me a design challenge to help them identify issues and provide improvement ideas on their existing product. After that, the recruiter told me that they would not move forward and refused to provide any feedback from the challenge. Completely disrespectful for candidates' time!

Interview Questions

• Try their existing product and identify potential issues. Provide hi-fi prototype that shows improvements.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ThousandEyes (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Phone screen with CTO, then design test, then onsite. The whole process was pretty straightforward. The questions asked were not very UX/UI focused, which confused me a bit. Asked a lot about previous experience.

UI/User Experience Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ThousandEyes in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online and received an email from a recruiter, then scheduled a phone interview with their CTO. However, I was rescheduled for several times with last-minute notices. I was assigned with a 1-week design challenge to help them identify current issues and provide some improvement ideas on their existing product--free labor. And they didn' t answer any of my specific questions. Then the similar case happened to me--after the interview and design challenge, they do not want to move forward and refused to give me any feedback.

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at ThousandEyes (Atlanta, GA) in June 2017.

Interview

The company's CTO contacted me via LinkedIn and offered to start an interviewing process. After my agreement I was redirected to an HR person and we scheduled a phone interview with the CTO. He called on-time and we talked for about 45 minutes. It was a pretty nice and smooth chat after which he suggested to continue to the UX challenge.
    In the UX challenge one should download their free trial, analyze it and suggest a redesign to a page, an interaction or a workflow. This part is pretty tricky since it's a very open challenge and they do not tell you what exactly to do. It's also a little annoying that they give you a challenge based on their product (free labor).
    They request to invest 4-6 hours and give you one week to work on it. I submitted the work two days before the deadline and invested more time than was requested: prepared a heuristic evaluation, which discovered usability and other bugs in the system. In addition I submitted a high fidelity interactive prototype of a chosen workflow (high fidelity was a requirement). They sent me a feedback email and left me a voice message, gave a positive feedback about my analysis but a very general and vague feedback about my design "your design is not intuitive/consistent". They didn't give an opportunity to explain my design via phone.
    I would say that throughout the process they were responsive, polite and nice. However, one should be aware that the evaluation of his/her design challenge will be (probably) done by a product team in which there is only one junior UX Designer and the rest have engineering or business education.

Interview Questions

• How do you see ThousandEyes   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ThousandEyes.

Interview

Overall, I had a great interview experience. Especially after I interviewed onside and met some of the engineers there, I knew that it was the exact work environment that I was looking for. There were several stages to the interview process, but each step was relatively painless and some steps were pretty enjoyable.

- I first had a brief, non-technical phone conversation with a ThousandEyes recruiter.
    - Next they asked me to provide some coding samples from my prior projects so they could review my code quality.
    - After they reviewed my code samples, I received a coding challenge with a one week deadline. The challenge could be submitted sooner, and they definitely don't expect you to work on it full time. But honestly, I was having a great time with it, and found it hard to put down.
    - After reviewing my coding challenge, I was invited to interview onsite. Everyone I met during the interview process was super nice and welcoming. There was no whiteboarding, but there was some live coding of toy problems on a laptop, questions about the coding challenge I submitted, and questions about my background.
    -The final thing they asked for were some professional references.

Interview Questions

• Much of the time spent during the interview was centered around the coding challenge. I was asked to describe on a high level how the application functioned. There were questions about why I implemented things a certain way.   Answer Question

UX Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at ThousandEyes (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I was reached out by the CTO and had a phone interview with him. Then I was given a design challenge that I had to complete in a week. After I submitted, I heard back the next day that they liked my design and that they want to fly me out for an onsite interview.
    The design challenge and onsite interview heavily conflicted with my schedule, so I had to postpone them for awhile but they were understanding and respectful of my timeline.
    During onsite, I did one-on-one sessions with several people. They asked me about past experience and some behavioral questions. I was also asked to do a mini design challenge for them to see how my thinking process is like.
    Overall, I felt the interview process was pretty standard. I liked how everyone at ThousandEyes truly believed in their products. Although I ended up not accepting the offer, I believe in their future success and would recommend ThousandEyes to others.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at ThousandEyes in April 2017.

Interview

Got a message on LinkedIn from the company recruiter. I showed interest and the recruiter sent my resume to the hiring manager, who was wanted to continue the interview process with me. I got a take home coding project-- if it was reviewed favorably by ThousandEyes, they were gonna call me for an onsite interview. Since I had an offer pending, they expedited the reviewing the project and got back to me. The recruiter told me that they didn't review my project favorably and didn't wish to go on. I spent a good amount of hours on that project and wanted some sort of feedback on it. I didn't get any. I have turned in multiple coding assignments of the type at various companies, and I have always had positive feedback. Given the time investment for this project, I wanted some feedback so I at least get something out of it. I believe if a company is going to require 8 hours of your time for a project, some feedback should be courtesy.

Interview Questions

• I was given an 8 hour project that required me to build a restful backend api given a set of requirements.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at ThousandEyes (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

The recruiter was friendly and responded timely, but the process was terrible. I was asked to implement a coding challenge called Periodical Tasks Scheduler in C++ in a week. During that time, I had to prepare my finals at the same time. Actually the challenge took me 3 or 4 days in total. I implemented all the requirements they asked, but I was declined after a week even without a reason. DO NOT TAKE the coding challenge without a guarantee of an interview, it is a total waste of time !!!

Full Stack Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ThousandEyes (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

3-phase interview process.

1. round - initial call with the recruiter (behavioral questions) followed by a short Hackerrank challenge and a questionnaire also requiring code sample. Nothing too complex.
    2. round - 1 week coding challenge. Project topic really depends on the team for which you're interviewing. In my case it was a Java web app running in Spring Boot-provided embedded Tomcat and talking to in-memory db. Once again, nothing too difficult. Quite frankly, 1 week might be a little bit of an overkill for an application of this size (my recruiter even gave me 2 extra days as I couldn't get to it earlier) as even if you don't know the stack it will hardly take you more than half a day. I decided to take advantage of the time turning the assignment into my personal project as I haven't touched Spring for several years and thus wanted to know how much did the framework evolve.
    3. round - 3 Skype interviews - 2 with Software Engineers, 1 with VP. Questions weren't too difficult (basic algorithm questions from CtCI and a synchronization problem). VP asked exclusively about the project (from 2. round). Everyone is really nice and there's enough time to ask about the company.

I ended up getting an offer on the same day - had another offer deadline - but in the end I decided to decline it in favor of a 3rd offer from one of my top 2 company preferences.