ThousandEyes Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ThousandEyes (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

This review is long overdue. I interviewed with ThousandEyes back in June, 2017. It started with their recruiter reaching out to me and scheduling an introductory call after I informed him that I was interested. During the call, he gave me some info about the company and their product and sent me a quick online programming problem that didn’t take more than 15 minutes to complete. They reviewed my solution within a couple of days and informed that they were going to move forward to another take-home coding problem. This one was a Java/Spring problem that took about 7 hours to finish. I personally think take-home projects are very effective in gauging the skills/experiences of a candidate comparing to onsite 5 hour interviews. After I submitted my solution, again they evaluated it promptly and got back to me.

As the next step, they scheduled an onsite interview. I need to note that they were very accommodating with regards to my schedule.

Once there, the recruiter gave me a tour of their office and then guided me to a conference room for the interview. I was interviewed by three people, two engineers and their engineering VP. All of them were friendly. The engineers covered algorithm and data structure problems and I went over the take-home project with the engineering VP. Although the questions weren’t easy, they were all very fair and there was no “coding tricks” required to solve them. They started with easier questions and moved to more difficult questions as the interview went on.

After a couple days, the recruiter contacted me to let me know that my interview went well and they were proceeding with an offer. He also asked me to have a quick phone call with their CTO as the last step before the offer was extended. During the phone call, their CTO just covered some general questions regarding my work experience.

After the offer was delivered to me, they gave me about a week to make my decision. Unfortunately, I ended up rejecting the offer due to a competing offer, but I think this was one of the best interview experiences I’ve had in my career.

Interview Questions

• Java/Spring project. Algorithms and data structure problems.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ThousandEyes (San Francisco, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

They make you complete a fairly lengthy coding challenge that could easily take more than one week, and when you submit it-- if they are unhappy with it for any reason, they will simply tell you no, with no feedback of any kind.

Don't waste your time on a long coding challenge (they essentially make you do a project), you may as well apply elsewhere

Interview Questions

• Create a twitter like service with the following basic functionalities
        1. A login page for users to sign in and a link/portion for registration if user is not in the system.
        2. Once logged in, the user is directed to the home page where the user can post "tweets". Tweets appear with timestamp below on the users home page.
        3. A logged in user can search for other users and decide to "follow" them. Users cannot control whether they can be followed or not in this implementation. If a user is part of the system, then anybody can follow them.
        4. Tweets made by people the user follows also start to appear on the users home page. Page does not need to be refreshed for new tweets by other users to appear on the page.
        5. If a user decides to "un follow" somebody, past tweets are removed from that users page and no more future tweets appear.

In designing and implementing this system, feel free to correct things in twitter that you don't like or always wanted differently.

Languages: Java, JSP, Spring MVC, Javascript/JQuery, HTML, CSS (JQuery and Spring MVC are highly encouraged).
      Database: MySQL   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at ThousandEyes.

Interview

Stay away. Very unprofessional. If they decide not to hire you, they will never get back to you, and will just leave you hanging. They will ask for code samples from you and a very time consuming coding challenge. They should have at least the decency of getting back to the candidates.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at ThousandEyes (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied through their website. It's a very unfair process. I'm very disappointed that they asked me to do a coding challenge that took me 2 days and after their "review" they rejected without even offering me an interview to discuss it or a grade. Advice: Don't accept the coding challenge without being interviewed first, it is a total waste of time since other candidates will go in straight to a interview with a employee referral.

The coding challenge took me 2 days to complete because I wanted to impress and to test it well.

Interview Questions

• Write a C++ program to execute a DNS query to top 10 websites and store the latency on a MySQL DB.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ThousandEyes (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

It was a great process, contacted by recruiter and then talked with a HR(all is very quick and nice). The last exercise it is a bit lit longer, but you can do it.

Interview Questions

• Problem that I had and How I solved.   1 Answer
    • Fibonacci exercise   1 Answer
    • SF Muni Map, real time update   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ThousandEyes (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied through university portal and was contacted by a recruiter. Went through a brief 30-minute phone screen about my technical and career background. Was then sent a questionnaire and coding challenge, was not contacted again after.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ThousandEyes (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

1. One-week code challenge. If you have other opportunities to pursue, I suggest NOT to go with the code challenge. SAVE YOUR TIME TO PREPARE OTHER INTERVIEWS. From the company, the code challenge can be completed in 10-15 hours assuming you have decent experience with the frameworks/tools required. Please note, there is NO PAY FOR THIS PROJECT. Think about TIME COST before doing it.
    2. 3-round skype video interviews. Engineers I met are nice and patient. Basic Javascript and algorithm/multi-thread problems.
    3. Additional one skype interview with another team. This engineer was unprofessional and not well-prepared for the interview. Threw me three very simple technical questions. One of them is to make https calls using Spring framework. After I finished it within 5 mins, I said I should double-check whether Spring framework has a https client besides http client to ensure security. He said you should focus on speed, if you already made things work out, you shouldn't spend extra time on it. I couldn't agree with him on it. Even for a start-up, we should find the balance between speed and correctness.
    4. They promised they would give results on the next business day. However, it took more than one week. Obviously, they didn't go through the process in a timely manner.

Interview Questions

• 1. Code challenge - a mini twitter backend REST APIs.
      2. Basic javascript questions.
      3. A DFS/BFS implementation + basic synchronization data structure implementation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at ThousandEyes (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

First chat with recruiter, then did mini project that's about 6-8~ hours, then went onsite for 3 back to back interviews. Amazing people, really saw myself working there, some last minute decisions drew me elsewhere but still highly recommend. Process is very fast, recruiters are nice and responsive, onsite was super chill too. They're really trying to improve, from their technology to their interview process. I look forward to hearing good things about them in the future.

Interview Questions

• The questions are designed to check if you understand coding principles such as encapsulation. They also probe to see if you know how to code. No trick questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ThousandEyes (San Francisco, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

They first asked me for a code sample and some pretty standard intro questions over email. They then offered me a coding challenge that involved putting together a D3 project of medium complexity. I then went onsite to talk to them about my challenge and do some technical interviews in person. I felt that their interview process was both thorough and challenging. I got the impression that they have a high bar for admittance. So when they gave me an offer I accepted.

It seems like a lot of people complain about coding challenges like the ones ThousandEyes gives to their applicants. I personally think that coding challenges are one of the best ways to test a software engineer's skill. Its best to evaluate someone's ability to do something by having them actually do it for you.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell us about a hard problem you've had to solve, and how you went about solving it?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at ThousandEyes in April 2017.

Interview

Got a message on LinkedIn from the company recruiter. I showed interest and the recruiter sent my resume to the hiring manager, who was wanted to continue the interview process with me. I got a take home coding project-- if it was reviewed favorably by ThousandEyes, they were gonna call me for an onsite interview. Since I had an offer pending, they expedited the reviewing the project and got back to me. The recruiter told me that they didn't review my project favorably and didn't wish to go on. I spent a good amount of hours on that project and wanted some sort of feedback on it. I didn't get any. I have turned in multiple coding assignments of the type at various companies, and I have always had positive feedback. Given the time investment for this project, I wanted some feedback so I at least get something out of it. I believe if a company is going to require 8 hours of your time for a project, some feedback should be courtesy.

Interview Questions

• I was given an 8 hour project that required me to build a restful backend api given a set of requirements.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ThousandEyes in September 2017.

Interview

I applied online and soon I got a call from the recruiter. Initially they gave me a hackerrank exercise and I submitted. Soon after that I was told to complete a week mini project.

Now I respect their decision and I am not saying they are ripping off or anything, it is their style to evaluate a candidate BUT this is a total time waste according to me. If you are in job market and you spend a week solving their mini project, specially if you are working full time also .....it is a TOTAL waste of time. Unless you know their core technology and you ONLY want to work for that company then it makes sense to just focus on one company for a week but if you are looking to explore other opportunities in other companies then this mini project is a time waste. You would rather invest time in brushing up your algorithm and data structure and practice, instead of investing time in that mini project as you would have to evaluate other offers and make decision too so this one week window might be crucial.

My recruiter was very nice and awesome guy! but the interview process was really bad. I was told that its not about just make the basic thing working but you would be evaluated on how you would write production code. So not only you have to solve this but this project needs to be optimal and good quality as well. So you definitely needs to work hard for at least two three nights and that is not guaranteed to give you interview. I submitted the project and I wasnt selected and NO feedback was given. My code in this project was not the best in the world but it was in working condition as I just invested two nights, I did not see any value in putting time and effort in it .

I would suggest that if you do get an interview then dont fall in trap of this mini project as it is NOT a coding challenge. This is an entire project! Focus on other companies which would evaluate you based on your concepts and implementation.