ThousandEyes Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

1. Featured Interview

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ThousandEyes (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

This review is long overdue. I interviewed with ThousandEyes back in June, 2017. It started with their recruiter reaching out to me and scheduling an introductory call after I informed him that I was interested. During the call, he gave me some info about the company and their product and sent me a quick online programming problem that didn’t take more than 15 minutes to complete. They reviewed my solution within a couple of days and informed that they were going to move forward to another take-home coding problem. This one was a Java/Spring problem that took about 7 hours to finish. I personally think take-home projects are very effective in gauging the skills/experiences of a candidate comparing to onsite 5 hour interviews. After I submitted my solution, again they evaluated it promptly and got back to me.

As the next step, they scheduled an onsite interview. I need to note that they were very accommodating with regards to my schedule.

Once there, the recruiter gave me a tour of their office and then guided me to a conference room for the interview. I was interviewed by three people, two engineers and their engineering VP. All of them were friendly. The engineers covered algorithm and data structure problems and I went over the take-home project with the engineering VP. Although the questions weren’t easy, they were all very fair and there was no “coding tricks” required to solve them. They started with easier questions and moved to more difficult questions as the interview went on.

After a couple days, the recruiter contacted me to let me know that my interview went well and they were proceeding with an offer. He also asked me to have a quick phone call with their CTO as the last step before the offer was extended. During the phone call, their CTO just covered some general questions regarding my work experience.

After the offer was delivered to me, they gave me about a week to make my decision. Unfortunately, I ended up rejecting the offer due to a competing offer, but I think this was one of the best interview experiences I’ve had in my career.

Interview Questions

• Java/Spring project. Algorithms and data structure problems.   Answer Question

Professional Services Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ThousandEyes (Salt Lake City, UT) in March 2018.

Interview

Applied online, received an email in a few days asking for an initial phone screening. Phone screening went really well, then moved on to a technical phone interview with a senior member of the team. Went very well, moved on to the homework assignment.

The famed homework assignment.

They give you a week to complete this and provide you an extended trial account of their product. From here, you get to set up a menagerie of tests and probes and get to learn about the ThousandEyes suite. It really is an amazing product.

Then you are asked to perform deep packet analysis, customer service troubleshooting, and some questions about integrating and accessing the ThousandEyes API. You are also asked what process you would choose to improve and why and finally to present a topic with which you're familiar via webinar to a small team.

I spent over 30 hours of work on this and it fell flat for them. The assignment is not clear on depth or extent of expectations, but ensure that you are deep and thorough with your results.

Feedback is little to non-existent. Expectations are ambiguous at best.

Frontend Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ThousandEyes (New York, NY).

Interview

I've been contacted by HR through LinkedIn, we arrange an initial call for the coming week.
    First call very straight forward , some questions about my experience and a brief overview about the company.
    Then I've been sent a coding challenge which consisted in implementing a San Francisco vehicles map with some real-time updates, with d3js and some frontend library (I choosed react)
    Sent the code and after a few days the recruiter got back to me saying they liked my code and wanted to get forward with the last step.
    Last step has been a 3h face to face interview on Skype , with 3 different engineers , only coding , nothing related to my previous challenge. They asked me to implement an algorithm to calculate the combinations of an array of array
    Then to implement a simple LRU cache with some specific requirements together with the unit tests.
    Then the last guy asked me to implement a function to reduce a tree (essentially an object with children) recursively.
    The process has been quite long, the coding test was not too difficult but the last stage was too long and one of the guy was quite arrogant.

G&A Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at ThousandEyes (New York, NY) in February 2018.

Interview

Had phone screen on short notice and selected for on site interview the next day (on their request). Overall interview process went well. I thought that all had gone well during the interview but apparently not since I didn't hear anything after interview and follow-up email. Not cool. Not cool at all...

Customer Success Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ThousandEyes (San Francisco, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

The initial phone screen occurred in two parts:

- The first was a review of the company and position
    - The second was a series of 20+ questions spanning 5 general topics

This takes some time, and is obviously to determine you areas of strength and weakness.

The second portion of the interview process is a homework assignment, comprised of 8 questions, that cover a broad swath of topics. While I would imagine that many people, who are taking the "shotgun" approach to job searches, may not be willing to invest the time to answer the questions to completion; I was pleasantly surprised by how methodical the assignment was. It was obvious that they were interested in aptitude and research abilities; and not simply how well you perform on standardized tests. I can honestly say that the exercise was worth doing, even if they didn’t offer me a position.

The third step in the process is a series of in-person interviews: one with a co-worker; one with the test proctor; one with the immediate manager; and one with the department head. The tone is conversational; and they are very open.

At the end of the in-person interview, however, is a grill session in which you are given an hour to review a simulated customer support event. This is followed by an emulated “2am” support call with 4 people asking you questions in real-time. It is obvious that they want you to do well; but that they also want to challenge you.

I would suggest to applicants that they self-select early. If you enjoy learning, and have developed the discipline to be auto-didactic, then this is the place for you. They have a great attitude and believe in sharing information.

Interview Questions

• What was your impression of the product during your evaluation?   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ThousandEyes (Austin, TX).

Interview

Multistep process including a phone screen, phone role play, and then onsite interviews. The role play was difficult because they had a whole scenario built out which required a lot of preparation.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ThousandEyes in November 2017.

Interview

Starts with HR interview on the phone. Very nice guy and he explains the process. Got a challenge to write a backend API for a Twitter-like application. Very similar to the rest of the interviews I've seen here. Wish I'd read these before I applied. Looks like very few get past the challenge and the challenge itself is a big waste of time. I forgot to also answer three questions sent to me in another email.

Senior Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at ThousandEyes (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I was reached by a recruited, then asked to implement a home exercise. Then I was invited for an inhouse which consisted of 3 parts:
    - 1h: Pair programming on a couple of problems
    - 1h: Pair programming on changes to the home exercise code
    - 1h: Algorithmic question

Overall all the communication was very professional, the interviewers were very polite and warm and the office is actually really cool (they have a super-hero culture with each team member selecting a hero, and with super hero theme items all over the office)

Interview Questions

• Home assignment: Render vehicle positions on SVG map in real-time   Answer Question
    • Finish the implementation for a basic function which iterates over a nested array-object data structure and filters results.   Answer Question
    • Implement a generic function to reduce a tree (should work with any function callback)   1 Answer
    • Implement a function to return all permutations of an array of arrays:
      ie input: [[a,b,c], [d,e,f], [g,h,i]] should return permutations
      adg
      adh
      adi
      aeg
      aeh
      ...   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ThousandEyes in September 2017.

Interview

I applied online and soon I got a call from the recruiter. Initially they gave me a hackerrank exercise and I submitted. Soon after that I was told to complete a week mini project.

Now I respect their decision and I am not saying they are ripping off or anything, it is their style to evaluate a candidate BUT this is a total time waste according to me. If you are in job market and you spend a week solving their mini project, specially if you are working full time also .....it is a TOTAL waste of time. Unless you know their core technology and you ONLY want to work for that company then it makes sense to just focus on one company for a week but if you are looking to explore other opportunities in other companies then this mini project is a time waste. You would rather invest time in brushing up your algorithm and data structure and practice, instead of investing time in that mini project as you would have to evaluate other offers and make decision too so this one week window might be crucial.

My recruiter was very nice and awesome guy! but the interview process was really bad. I was told that its not about just make the basic thing working but you would be evaluated on how you would write production code. So not only you have to solve this but this project needs to be optimal and good quality as well. So you definitely needs to work hard for at least two three nights and that is not guaranteed to give you interview. I submitted the project and I wasnt selected and NO feedback was given. My code in this project was not the best in the world but it was in working condition as I just invested two nights, I did not see any value in putting time and effort in it .

I would suggest that if you do get an interview then dont fall in trap of this mini project as it is NOT a coding challenge. This is an entire project! Focus on other companies which would evaluate you based on your concepts and implementation.

Solutions Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ThousandEyes (Austin, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

9 step deep technical interview process. Be prepared to give more time than your regular job and life require. I answered the these and more well and passed the technical interview but still did not get the chance to proceed.

Interview Questions

• Ask me to explain tcp packet level details. Tcp congestion control, windowing, slow start. Also know and understand tcp trace route extensively.   1 Answer
    • Ask how to explain BGP specifically bgp prefixing bgp route hijacks, peering changes, and misconfiguration.   Answer Question

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ThousandEyes (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Standard Interview process. I had 4 interviews, 3 phone and 1 in person. The last interview was a presentation in front of members of the marketing, product management and engineering team.