Tibra Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 18, 2017

3.5

Trainee Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Tibra (Chicago, IL) in October 2012.

Interview

Online "quantitative" and "logic" test. They are easy and pointless, around 30min each. The quantitative test involves reading tables and charts. It's more of a see if you can read and punch numbers into a calculator fast enough test. The logic test was a bit more interesting, but still pointless. Then the give you a week to do a small programming assignment. Again pointless. Then pointless a 15 min phone interview. The guy I interviewed with said I'll get an auto pass for "superday" and asked me brief questions about my resume. No desire to get to know me and he sounded depressed.

Superday is a scam. They will not provide for your traveling expenses. Tibra is basically a failed company, who try to pick up employees that other trading companies pass-over, and exploit them. That's why every preceding "rounds" with tests are all pointless. They try to get as many people to go to their superday as possible on their own dime, only to pick 1 at the end. Even during the various stages of superday, you'll be kicked out if you fail that stage. Thankfully, there was a snow storm this year and I told them my flight was canceled. They gave me a 30 min phone interview as a way to make-up for the superday. I guess they feel bad that I missed the flight I supposedly paid for. Just kidding, they didn't feel bad at all. The guy asked a bunch of retarded questions and couldn't wait to get off the phone after 25 min.

I have saved all the answers to their online tests and programming test. Hit me up if you want the answers (3ntericfever at gmail). I have warned you. It's just big waste of time. Only reason you would apply is if you're in Chicago already and really desperate.

Interview Questions

• Programming test: Look at this tree diagram and design a data-structure that would allow you to perform certain tasks.   1 Answer

Quantitative Trader Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Tibra.

Interview

I was asked lots of nontechnical questions about trading and financial markets. It sounded as if the interviewers were fishing for information on how to set up a new trading desk in an asset class they had no experience with. I wasn't asked any technical questions.

After two rounds I received feedback which consisted mostly of value judgements about my personality, misstatements about the factual information I have given my interviewers and an unfounded (because they haven't tested it in any way during the interview process) claim about my "limited" experience in C++.

The overall impression was of a "brain rape" (cf. "Silicon Valley" series) interview without any intention to hire. Waste of my time.

Interview Questions

• How many people would it require to run a trading desk?   Answer Question

Trainee Quant Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tibra (London, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

After initial tests (logical reasoning, numerical, etc.) I was invited to take the second test that consists of logical reasoning assessment, personality questionnaire and lastly the recorded interview. The logical reasoning assessment is interesting, maybe hard at some time but you have enough tie to do it so you shouldn't find it too difficult. Personality questionnaire is something that it doesn't make sense to describe. Maybe I would just emphasise that there are question similar to "My decisions are based on facts" or "I quickly accept other's opinions without critical thinking". Since their trading strategy is based on statistics and using of technology, these are the question that (in my opinion) should be ask in a way that shows you always base your decisions on the hard facts. The last part is recorded video interview which is a okay. For each question you have 20 seconds to prepare (so prepare in advance!) and then you have 2 or 5 minutes to answer it (details are included below).

Interview Questions

• Questions in the interview (video recorded):
      1.) What do you know about Tibra and why do you want to work for us? (2 minutes)
      2.) What are your core values as a person? (2 minutes)
      3.) Describe the situation when you showed: (5 minutes)
      - innovative thinking
      - diligent
      - integrity   Answer Question

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Tibra (London, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

Online tests, relatively standard and straight forward. Coding test was tougher for me as I have limited experience but still made it through this stage. Automatic video interview was very standard and competency based. The first in-office interview was half an hour with HR which started off competency based then had some quick-fire mental maths questions. Then an interview with 2 developers which is more coding based which I wasn't expecting and really struggled with. Finally got invited to a final round interview which was with 2 developers and a trader and looked into more depth of my knowledge of options pricing theory.

The interviews were interesting. My HR contact was really useful and kept me well informed and the process went through quickly. Annoyingly they don't reimburse travel expenses so they should really only do one on-site day and have both interviews then, it's a bit of a pain if you don't live in London. They also don't give any opportunity to see the office or meet people other than your interviewers whilst all other companies have been keen to show off their trading floor's atmosphere.

I ultimately declined the offer as I had another which was better suited to me.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Tibra (Sydney (Australia)).

Interview

The process consists of the phone interview, followed by an interview in the meeting room with whiteboard, with the Team Lead and the Head of Development. They are looking for very confident and solid command of C++ and technology in general, and for some knowledge or interest in the trading domain.

Interview Questions

• Among others, they asked to implement some straightforward algorithm in C++   Answer Question

Software Developer SQL Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tibra in August 2016.

Interview

First, you have to pass their aptitude test online. If you pass the online test then HR will call you for a technical phone interview to screen out anybody who use google during online test. If you pass all their tests that they will invite you for face-to-face interview. The interview was not accompanied by the HR.

Interview Questions

• A lot of SQL specific questions and knowledge on financial market   Answer Question

Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tibra.

Interview

Three rounds, Maths & Codility, maths was not easy, including logic test( some are difficult) and some optimization questions. Codility is somehow tricky, the question is always clear and simple yet requiring the candidate to pay attention to all possible scenarios and save as much computing resources as possible. and a phone screen. I think they are not recruiting at the moment as discussed in the forum that they are having a rough time earning profits.

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions overall. Though it really takes some brain to achieve their criteria.   Answer Question

Junior Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Tibra (London, England (UK)) in July 2016.

Interview

Process took 2 weeks. I did everything online. C# test plus IQ and logical thinking tests plus video recorded tests. Passed all the tests with good results and then was invited for a Skype interview with HR as well a senior developer and trader.
    Was phoned and told they gave it to someone else that fitted the role better.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tibra (Sydney (Australia)) in April 2016.

Interview

First up was a psychometric test, which I think are quite silly and not indicative of how you tick. I asked the recruiter about doing the test in Java, and they said it would be fine. I was emailed a test for C++, and discontinued the interview process at that point.

Interview Questions

• Your regular psychometric tests, perhaps more difficult than some.   Answer Question

Graduate Quant Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wollongong (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Tibra (Wollongong (Australia)) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied online Tuesday night. Got a call and they wanted to start the phone screen straight away on Wednesday. Reschedule to Thursday. Passed the phone interview and received an email with two links, one 99 min for C++ coding, and one 45 min for all math/stat/logical test. Both tests due by Friday night. Given that I have to work full time on weekdays so I barely had no time to prepare and pick up my programming skills, obviously one night is enough for them , not me. Did not get passed.

Remember the job I applied is trader(not developer!), and considering that, I think this test is hard. Maybe they don't need people from Math/Engineering/Quant , all I can feel is they are just after IT guys. They said "there are no unnecessary layers between our traders and developers", and now I am dame sure about this. EXACTLY SAME JOB DESCRIPTION, SAME EMAIL, with SAME TESTS. No quant/finance/trading/market question involved at all.

Yet the experience is helpful based on following three points: 1. I realize how much effort I need to spend on programming to become a developer. 2. How nice their competitors are. 3. There will be not much to improve in the training session if I can get passed.